The Metalhead Thread

BeautifulTorment

Metal you say :hmm: it's something I used to love in my mid/late teens, you know, Slayer, Slipknot, Korn, System of a Down, Machine Head, Devil Driver, Static X, all that jazz. But as I got older I found myself not enjoying it as much, and I do think it was because I wasn't as angry.

Now I can appreciate the music itself, I love the guitar riffs and the epic drumming, that's something I'll never grow out of :D but the lyrics to tend to be angry and negative.

Hey, why not;

Still awesome

:awesome:

Enslaved are great; if you like them you might want to check out some of these groups: Arcturus, Borknagar, Emperor, Negură Bunget, Secrets of the Moon, Absu, Windir, Moonsorrow, Bathory, Sólstafir, Falkenbach.

I will definitely check them out. Thanks a bundle!

I used to listen to a fair amount of metal in my early/mid teens, but my interest waned until I mostly listened to dance and pop. But going back to finish Brutal Legend reinvigorated my interest. However between my mid teens and then my taste in the vocals has changed, now I'm not that keen on the male voice anymore, I prefer a woman's voice. On top of that I find the screaming and the more high pitched shouting really off putting.

Saying all that though I will listen to the songs you guys have posted, see if I can find anything I like. Metals bands that I've been listening to recently are Black Label Society and Mastodon, as you can hear the hard rock influence, but it's metal, you know? I like that sound. Others bands I've been listening to are Nightwish and Epica, I don't think they count as metal though.

• Like 1

Saying all that though I will listen to the songs you guys have posted, see if I can find anything I like. Metals bands that I've been listening to recently are Black Label Society and Mastodon, as you can hear the hard rock influence, but it's metal, you know? I like that sound. Others bands I've been listening to are Nightwish and Epica, I don't think they count as metal though.

Try some Doom Metal then. Doom is heavy like Mastodon and BLS but with clean vocals. Try listening to Electric Wizard, Reverend Bizarre, The Gates of Slumber, Orange Goblin etc... Vocals don't matter to me as long as it's not scene kids prancing around and screaming. I'm more attracted to the drumming and the catchy riffs. Fuzz and crunch sound really nice too. Just listen to Dimebags playing on the Cowboys from Hell album :D Simple riffs but awesome crunch.

The riff that starts at :34 :holy:

Pantera - Cowboys from Hell

• Like 2

Dillinger Escape Plan was the only one that I heard of from the ones you listed and they're not bad. All the bands you listed aren't that bad and sound completely different than what is more mainstream nowadays. All of the bands you see try and be br00talz and almost always have a really "heavy" breakdown.

Yeah, their early work is amazing, though they did decline in quality following their first LP (their other albums aren't that bad, however). I saw them live a few months ago; was a pretty fun show.

I remember seeing this video on tv a few years ago. It's nothing like the other core bands.

I used to only listen to Iron Maiden, Shitallica, Judas Priest, Helloween anda few others back in the days, but I'm less interested in the genre and it's sub-genres as time goes by (with a few exceptions), though I still listen to some of it from time to time. Either way, here's my contribution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqNEXzPMOf8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmW2XH_xtKQ

Metal you say :hmm: it's something I used to love in my mid/late teens, you know, Slayer, Slipknot, Korn, System of a Down, Machine Head, Devil Driver, Static X, all that jazz. But as I got older I found myself not enjoying it as much, and I do think it was because I wasn't as angry.

That's because you grew up :P ! Thing many people don't do (*looks at Manny*), or at least don't do to some extent (*looks at self*).

I used to only listen to Iron Maiden, Shitallica, Judas Priest, Helloween anda few others back in the days, but I'm less interested in the genre and it's sub-genres as time goes by (with a few exceptions), though I still listen to some of it from time to time. Either way, here's my contribution:

That's because you grew up :P ! Thing many people don't do (*looks at Manny*), or at least don't do to some extent (*looks at self*).

I think it has very little to do with maturity level, that's just absurd! If anything, all this dubstep crap will be gone when people "grow up" and get out of the clubbing every night state of mentality.

There is so much more to this kind of music than just anger...

• Like 1

I think it has very little to do with maturity level, that's just absurd! If anything, all this dubstep crap will be gone when people "grow up" and get out of the clubbing every night state of mentality.

There is so much more to this kind of music than just anger...

It's not really about "maturity", it's more about people listening to it when they are in their 14s-20s because of some reason unbeknown to me. Practically everyone I met back when I had said age, and practically everyone I know in here that has said age listens (or listened) to it.

And yes, there's much more than just anger, which I never even mentioned.

I don't just listen to metal...some of my other favorites genres include industrial, IDM, drone, shoegaze, post-rock, dream pop, krautrock, ambient, crust, post-punk, avant-garde jazz, minimal techno, east coast hip-hop, etc. I'm pretty much open to anything. Metal is just one of my favorite styles to listen to, and it's not because I use it as a vessel to "vent my anger"; rather, I enjoy the sound.

I know you do and that you are open to almost everything, can't you just tell I'm fucking with you? lol

And again, I don't think anger has anything to do with people liking the genre.