The Metalhead Thread

BeautifulTorment

Not a HUGE Metal fan, but I've been around the block. Been listening to Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Black Sabbath since I was a little kid. First concert I ever went to was Megadeth w/ Coal Chamber (Cryptic Writings tour). Stayed in the mosh pit the entire concert. I was the only one in my group to do so, and when it was over my friends said I was white as a ghost. Took a couple days to recover from that one, but it was awesome.

In my teens I gravitated more towards grunge; Alice in Chains and Soundgarden primarily, but I also listened to TOOL, Dream Theater, and Pantera religiously. All my friends were far more serious with metal than I was, so I also listened to whatever they listened to, which included a lot of Sepultura and Slayer.

I'm not very familiar with all the sub-genres, but I know enough to say that nowadays I would probably lean more towards thrash w/ clean(ish) vocals. I will make exceptions on the vocals, like when it's Mike Patton:

WARNING: EXTREME FLASHING LIGHTS!!

• Like 3

In terms of metal, I'm a bit all over the place in terms of what I like. I listen to more melodic stuff, so probably on the lesser/middle end of the scale in terms of heaviness. I'd class myself as a metalhead, but also listen to Jazz/Jazz Fusion (so pretentious), Rock/Hard Rock, Video game music, J-Pop/Rock and even some classic Pop quite often also.

In terms of what metal I tend to listen to; 

Thrash - Metallica, Megadeth, Annihilator, Slayer, Testament, Anthrax

Prog - Dream Theater, Symphony X, Opeth, Queensryche, Gojira, Rings of Saturn

Djent - Periphery, Animals as Leaders

Metalcore - Killswitch Engage, Trivium

Melodic Death - Carcass, Children of Bodom, In Flames

Power - Galneryus, Stratovarious, Sonata Arctica, Firewind

Nu - Mudvayne, Korn, Slipknot (Proper metalheads probably don't approve ha)

Glam - (more hard rock than metal) - Ratt, Dokken, Winger, Extreme, Steel Panther (Also probably not approved by metalheads)

Traditional - Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Van Halen, Dio, Pantera, Ozzy Osborne/Black Sabbath

Always on the lookout for new bands, as I tend to be stuck in the past with bands so if anybody has any recommendations feel free to mention them!

Edited by GloriousFury9414
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Figured this thread could use a bump.

I've been watching a lot of Metalocalypse lately, and that sent me down a Brendon Small binge. He's the creator of Metalocalypse (he also did Home Movies), and he's also a comedian/improvisor/voice actor, and a talented singer/guitarist/songwriter. A seriously funny & talented guy, and I wanted to introduce his stuff to people unfamiliar. Here's a few vids:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...