The Metalhead Thread

BeautifulTorment

Anyone checked out Devin Townsend's new album Z2 yet? Just had a listen through the Dark Matters side and it's rather neat. March of the Poozers and Earth being standout tracks, in my opinion.

No, I haven't. I did not even know he had a new album out. I will be sure to check it out and tell you what I think when I'm free.

Anyone checked out Devin Townsend's new album Z2 yet? Just had a listen through the Dark Matters side and it's rather neat. March of the Poozers and Earth being standout tracks, in my opinion.

Yes and it's pretty nice double album. I do prefer Sky Blue over Dark Matters, but both are good.

Metallica - Creeping Death

Probably my favorite Metallica song.

Ohhhh, good one. I have to say it isn't my favourite though, it is up there however.

These three are quite possibly my favourite Metallica songs.

Damage Inc.

Ride The Lightning.

And of course, Blackened.

Also, here's a really awesome song I found from Xander Demos, you should check him out on Youtube. I love it, so fast but such a catchy melody.

• Like 2

I like any metal that came before there was more than one sub genre of metal.

Stupid kids gotta dissect and segregate everything into a thousand stupid names and little groups just so they can claim to be different than everyone else.

"Oh, that's cool. You play heavy metal?"

"NO, LOSER!!! We play speed-thrash-punk-melodic-grindcore-black-death metal!"

Fuckin' piss off. Metal is metal.

I like any metal that came before there was more than one sub genre of metal.

Stupid kids gotta dissect and segregate everything into a thousand stupid names and little groups just so they can claim to be different than everyone else.

"Oh, that's cool. You play heavy metal?"

"NO, LOSER!!! We play speed-thrash-punk-melodic-grindcore-black-death metal!"

Fuckin' piss off. Metal is metal.

To be fair, it's good to some degree to break off the genre into subgenres to differentiate each, as they all have a different sound. Most genres other than metal do this as well.

Death (bands like Obituary, Autopsy, Bolt Thrower) doesn't really sound like Doom (Candlemass, Pentagram, Witchfinder General) and vice versa. So, if someone were to ask me to recommend them something similar to say Black Sabbath's Self Titled era all the way to their Sabbath Bloody Sabbath era because they like that kind of like that particular sound, it's easier to be like "oh yeah, I think some of these Doom metal bands would be right up your alley, they sound exactly like that".

I get you though, it gets ridiculous if someone claims to be like 6 things in one, but I don't think subgenres are a bad thing necessarily.

To be fair, it's good to some degree to break off the genre into subgenres to differentiate each, as they all have a different sound. Most genres other than metal do this as well.

Death (bands like Obituary, Autopsy, Bolt Thrower) doesn't really sound like Doom (Candlemass, Pentagram, Witchfinder General) and vice versa. So, if someone were to ask me to recommend them something similar to say Black Sabbath's Self Titled era all the way to their Sabbath Bloody Sabbath era because they like that kind of like that particular sound, it's easier to be like "oh yeah, I think some of these Doom metal bands would be right up your alley, they sound exactly like that".

I get you though, it gets ridiculous if someone claims to be like 6 things in one, but I don't think subgenres are a bad thing necessarily.

Sorry but, my post was kind of a joke (to a certain degree) pertaining to a discussion that the OP and I had before. :P

Although, the era stated as my preference of metal is true (Megadeth, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc). :)

Edited by effdeegee

Metal all the way!! Has to be one of my favorite genres of music, love me some good riffs. I like all kinds to a point classic to current, I will at least give the band a 3 song try with me lol. The group I love the most is Iced Earth and I have a very close second in Sabaton. Strayed from groups like Cradle of Filth and what not, but like I said, I'll give anyone a listen.

• Like 1

Metal all the way!! Has to be one of my favorite genres of music, love me some good riffs. I like all kinds to a point classic to current, I will at least give the band a 3 song try with me lol. The group I love the most is Iced Earth and I have a very close second in Sabaton. Strayed from groups like Cradle of Filth and what not, but like I said, I'll give anyone a listen.

What do you think of these two? One is fairly recent, however the other one is much older.

I love the riff to this one in the intro, that guitar tone is beautiful.

Since you like Iced Earth, I suppose it would do well to put another Speed/Thrash song here, among my favourites, I hope you like it.

I am not certain as to whether I have posted this one or not, but I am listening to it currently, so oh well.

Edited by Nepgear2

What do you think of these two? One is fairly recent, however the other one is much older.

I love the riff to this one in the intro, that guitar tone is beautiful.

Since you like Iced Earth, I suppose it would do well to put another Speed/Thrash song here, among my favourites, I hope you like it.

I am not certain as to whether I have posted this one or not, but I am listening to it currently, so oh well.

I wasn't liking the vocals on Black Steel, everything else was great. Hexx was awesome, almost like early Judas Priest.

I wasn't liking the vocals on Black Steel, everything else was great. Hexx was awesome, almost like early Judas Priest.

Yes, I honestly had thought that was going to be the main turnoff, the vocals.

And yes, Hexx is awesome. Odd, as they changed genres so much. First album started off as a Power Metal-ish. Second was a more Thrash/Speed, third was a Death Metal album. Like... Yeah. Their first two albums are my favourites by them. Under The Spell and No Escape.

Saw them live for the second time last week. An intensive club gig and they pretty much nailed it. I felt every single bass drum kick in my gut. If people are interested in heavy and slow death metal I'd suggest you an unique Finnish band named Ride For Revenge. i've been listening to them last weeks and guess I have to buy the latest album Enter the Gauntlet. Link below!

http://rideforrevenge.bandcamp.com/album/enter-the-gauntlet

Edited by Sikatiiker
  • Like 1

Saw them live for the second time last week. An intensive club gig and they pretty much nailed it. I felt every single bass drum kick in my gut. If people are interested in heavy and slow death metal I'd suggest you an unique Finnish band named Ride For Revenge. i've been listening to them last weeks and guess I have to buy the latest album Enter the Gauntlet. Link below!

http://rideforrevenge.bandcamp.com/album/enter-the-gauntlet

ATG are fucking legend ! the fathers of MDM \m/ 

Yeah i saw them 2 times (Vagos open air 2012 and wacken 2008) And they broke everything.. is the few bands that never disappoints on lives

Another new great band from germany , enjoy \m/