Average Rarity

Noxter7
Go to solution Solved by amebapiko,

• Solution

I don´t know if it is the correct place to post this, sorry if it´s not.

What means the new number "Average Rarity" that appears on all the profiles?

Wow cool!!! I just saw that now you mentioned it.

It is what it says it says, your average rarity of trophies by PSNP rarity. All your trophy rarity % / the amount of trophies.

• Like 1

I like the intention of this feature but I think as it is right now, it is a bit useless.

Because even if someone solely plays insanely hard or rare games, the average rarity will never go really low, because most of the trophies are usually very common in all games, even tough games. Most of games only have 1-2, rarely 3-4 tough trophies.

For example, look at this guy: https://psnprofiles.com/VlETNAM-

Or this: https://psnprofiles.com/Potent_Delusions

Almost all of their games are extremely rare or hard, yet their average rarity is still over 20%. It's because almost all games, including hard games are full of easy trophies, except the last few of them.

My suggestion: change it to average rarity of your completed games, not trophies. Simple example: profile with 2 games completed, The Walking Dead and Sine Mora. Average rarity: 52.82% + 00.06% / 2 = 26.44%

This would be a much more meaningful stat to see.

Edited by Zongorillacska
  • Like 3

I like the intention of this feature but I think as it is right now, it is a bit useless.

Because even if someone solely plays insanely hard or rare games, the average rarity will never go really low, because most of the trophies are usually very common in all games, even tough games. Most of games only have 1-2, rarely 3-4 tough trophies.

Almost all of their games are extremely rare or hard, yet their average rarity is still over 20%. It's because almost all games, including hard games are full of easy trophies, except the last few of them.

My suggestion: change it to average rarity of your completed games, not trophies. Simple example: profile with 2 games completed, The Walking Dead and Sine Mora. Average rarity: 52.82% + 00.06% / 2 = 26.44%

I kind of agree with your idea,but that would be more like an 100% games average rarity, or something like that, and still  I don't find the current system  to be useless, it just that the rarity must be seen from a different point of view, less than 30% would be elite in my book, 31-40% pro, 41-45% semi-pro, 46-50% amateur,51-60% rookie and above 60% Easy peasy lemon squeezy  games lover  :P , even do your idea would be pretty useful for completionist, or to tell in a quick way the kind of Plats someone has.

I think it's a bit useless, whichever formula is chosen. I don't mind a few stats as it shows what type of gamer/kind games someone likes...but overall trophy rarity %? That's a bit much...I mean 7 stats on the header now.

Starting to miss the days of just trophy level or number of trophies.  :)

• Like 1

I think the rarity percentage should be based on the average rarity of your platinums or 100%s. My average rarity is 55% because I got a few version of The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us done and if you look at the platinums in my trophy cabinet then you will see that my rarity percentage doesn't represent the content of my list. Also, thanks to the DLC rarity of Uncharted 3, I am getting punished for doing it instead of being rewarded, although it takes 150+ hours to get 100% on that. 

• Like 2

I think the rarity percentage should be based on the average rarity of your platinums or 100%s. My average rarity is 55% because I got a few version of The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us done and if you look at the platinums in my trophy cabinet then you will see that my rarity percentage doesn't represent the content of my list. Also, thanks to the DLC rarity of Uncharted 3, I am getting punished for doing it instead of being rewarded, although it takes 150+ hours to get 100% on that. 

I like your idea! 

The average rarity won't change so much even if we get some ultra rare trophies because the denominator is too high. I feel it's boring :D

This is a cool idea, but... how would we count 100%s without and with Plat?

First... how would you count rarity of 100% games? By rarest trophy?

Should Plat 100%s be counted as the Plat game = by Plat or 100% game = by rarest trophy (provided it's not the Plat)?

This is a cool idea, but... how would we count 100%s without and with Plat?

First... how would you count rarity of 100% games? By rarest trophy?

Should Plat 100%s be counted as the Plat game = by Plat or 100% game = by rarest trophy (provided it's not the Plat)?

The rarity of a 100% game could be based on the rarest trophy or it could be based on the average rarity of that game in particular. But I think most importantly, the average rariity should be based on games you completed instead of being your overall trophy list. There are people with low percentages of rarity simply because they added a lot of rare/difficult games to their list. 

Didn't understand your third line but what I genuinely think is that maybe there should simply be a stat that says "Average Platinum rarity" if there's even space for it. Better yet, there could be a filter on a profile where you can check the person's average platinum rarity, then you won't be so hasty to judge their content just by the average rarity of the games that are on their list. The filter could let you switch from the overall average rarity to average platinum rarity. Maybe it can be a new setting for the site where you can choose if you would rather initially see the platinum rarity or the overall rarity based on their trophy list. 

I'm actually confused with how the trophy percentages are computed, particularly for DLC. Currently, 100% of people own the "Fatman Joe" trophy from gun.smoke. However, only 124 people actually own the trophy, even though the number of people with this DLC on this site is significantly higher (a quick check of the numbers, or a general estimate shows this).

In short, there are plenty of people who own this DLC, on this site, but have not gotten this trophy, even though the trophy is 100%.

It's fine by me, personally, but it does show that this average rarity is pretty meaningless.

The rarity of a 100% game could be based on the rarest trophy or it could be based on the average rarity of that game in particular. But I think most importantly, the average rariity should be based on games you completed instead of being your overall trophy list. There are people with low percentages of rarity simply because they added a lot of rare/difficult games to their list. 

Didn't understand your third line but what I genuinely think is that maybe there should simply be a stat that says "Average Platinum rarity" if there's even space for it. Better yet, there could be a filter on a profile where you can check the person's average platinum rarity, then you won't be so hasty to judge their content just by the average rarity of the games that are on their list. The filter could let you switch from the overall average rarity to average platinum rarity. Maybe it can be a new setting for the site where you can choose if you would rather initially see the platinum rarity or the overall rarity based on their trophy list. 

Well then that's their problem.. I added Far Cry 2 to my list... that was my fault. Same as all of my unobtainable games xD

But I do agree that a filter would be good for completed games only but where would it be placed? The front page stats are already cramped enough...

Well then that's their problem.. I added Far Cry 2 to my list... that was my fault. Same as all of my unobtainable games xD

But I do agree that a filter would be good for completed games only but where would it be placed? The front page stats are already cramped enough...

It could be in the settings for your profile where you can choose which one you would rather want to see every time you look at your profile. 

It could be in the settings for your profile where you can choose which one you would rather want to see every time you look at your profile. 

Yeah, you do have a point.... I guess now that you say that it'd be good for the viewer to see what one they'd rather see, their desicion carries to whatever profile they look at. They would be able to change it obviously... Just a thought :)

I'm not such a fan of it myself because I know I don't have a ton or Rare trophies but Iv'e got a lot of uncommon ones and my rarity is 57%. I think that's too high personally because with more than half of the games that Iv'e completed, they are around 20-30% Uncommon, but somehow it doesn't really reflect it with the Average Rarity. Which makes 57% seem like I play games which are really really easy :/

ZachBoardyHD.png

I'm not such a fan of it myself because I know I don't have a ton or Rare trophies but Iv'e got a lot of uncommon ones and my rarity is 57%. I think that's too high personally because with more than half of the games that Iv'e completed, they are around 20-30% Uncommon, but somehow it doesn't really reflect it with the Average Rarity. Which makes 57% seem like I play games which are really really easy :/

ZachBoardyHD.png

That's why it's an average. Even if you earn some rare trophies, your average is 57%... Which means you have quite some common trophies too.

That's why it's an average. Even if you earn some rare trophies, your average is 57%... Which means you have quite some common trophies too.

But most trophies on games are common apart the completion trophies, which overall,there will always be more common trophies earned than uncommon or rare in a game title trophy list on a game. I don't find that quite fair to be honest because If I want my Rarity % to go down from 57% , I shouldn't play games that are rare or ultra rare to complete because that wouldn't make a difference in my % due to the common trophies on that game.

Edited by ZachBoardyHD