What keeps you going in order to get a difficult Platinum?

G1gabitGaming

Motivation   

78 members have voted

1. 1. What keeps you going?

• Friends
    • Forum people
    • Self motivation
    • It's hard to get so it's more radical
    • Because it feels like you finally finished the game
    • Bragging Rights

What are some thing that run through your mind as you spend countless hours grinding for xp, or credits? Trying to get those last few trophies.

Do you enjoy playing on impossible difficulty, where everything kills you with a mean look? Just because of that one gold trophy you need.

To me, trophies are like a checklist. The game is not complete without acquiring all of these. I've only recently started caring about trophies, but since i have, i get a lot more bang for my buck out of games.

Does the coolness factor help you achieve the plat? What i mean is, if it's rare, it seems a lot more awesome to get then say, The Walking Dead.

What, or who motivates you in order to get those last few tedious trophies?

Edited by KingKiller1759

What keeps me going is the sense of satisfaction I'll feel from seeing that Platinum trophy pop after hours of grinding and hard work put into the game, especially on games that require insane amounts of time and dedication. The trophies serve as a way for me to get everything I can out of a game, rather than just beating it and then putting it away. Although there can be plenty of frustrating things in some games, I just keep pushing forward and try my best. Really, the only reason I haven't gone crazy during grinding is because of my music, it puts me in the mellowest mood ever and helps calm me, even if I'm about to throw the controller out the window.

• Like 2

The enjoyment of the game itself. All of my "hard" platinum's are games I really like, so I didn't really have to over-think it.

If I had a really challenging game on my list that I didn't like, I don't know if I'd still go for it to be honest. I'd much rather continue playing games I enjoy.

Being one out of many gives me enough motivation. By thinking that one day i'm going to talk with randoms or friends and they say they couldn't beat/plat that game and i stop that conversation saying "i did it"...that feeling is so OP lol. I dedicate myself to hard stuff not for the fame or for being the guy everyone talks about like many people do but for the self-satisfaction of clearing a goal i wished for.

Edited by Zanzarro

The only way I would even consider one of those borderline impossible grinding trophies, is if it's a game that hit such a chord with me that it feels like I'm doing a disservice by not seeing/completing everything it has to offer.  That being said, I barely have a patience to finish a playthrough of most of my games these days, no less go exceedingly out of my way for a platinum... so take that for what it's worth.  B)

To me, trophies are like a checklist. The game is not complete without acquiring all of these. I've only recently started caring about trophies, but since i have, i get a lot more bang for my buck out of games.

^ This. Though some trophies are pretty annoying and/or excessively time-consuming, if I like the game and it's in my power to do so, I will platinum it. Not to mention your Trophy list looks a lot better full of 100%. Too bad you can't delete or transfer trophies from games you didn't like or that were only played by someone else to another account on your PS3, because otherwise, I would have a 100% completion rate. Thank goodness for PSNProfiles and its ability to hide private trophies.

Motivation, and people giving up on difficult :platinum:. It took me 4 years to pop the plat for NGS2. I could've stopped when my fat 60GB PS3 died, and all of my old data was gone forever; but after a long layoff, I decided to get back at it. Now, I proudly own that plat. ^_^

Edited by kidson2004
  • Like 1

For me it's a mixture of fun, how much I want the Platinum, and sibling rivalry. If I'm really having fun playing the game things like finding collectibles, or grinding cash, and farming items go by really fast. If I'm not having fun with it I'll put it on my shelf and either let it sit there and go back to it later or I'll chip away at it bit by bit till I finally get the Platinum. Then there is the yearly Platinum race my brother and I have that gives me a little more motivation to get more Platinum trophies done.

For me there has to be enjoyment in the games, the controls and the atmosphere itself. There has to be more than a single thriving desire to play the game. Most of the time my platinums have been from very linear games where there aren't many random, open factors in playing. More story, singular based actions. However, I do love collectibles when they're more than simply something you collect. Remember Me was probably one of my harder, or at the least more annoying platinums to get. I had to replay the game and there were some combo styles I had to accommodate for and a few bosses that took really good timing with the controls but the  story, the visuals and the music really made it worth it. Especially the 3D Character Gallery that you could view Character Models from. Resogun was pretty repetitive but with a friend playing with me, it was pretty fun. Tough at times but man, we had some good laughs and close calls. 

Overall, it has to be enjoyable. I will not get the platinum for a game purely for the trophy itself if I can't enjoy the process or love the game and nearly everything that comes with it.

Edited by blankmar
  • Like 1