Review roundup

StrickenBiged

While there will be some pressure to release from the public, releasing a game too "early" is only ever the Devs or publisher's fault. For one, they can easily ignore the public pressure - it's their game and they can easily spin a delay into a good thing. With a lot of games, the publishers will have specific targets they have to meet. For example, Ubi will look at Q4 each year and say "right, to keep our shareholders happy we need 3 big name releases in Q4". Then it becomes a case of "what can we schedule for that window?" and "is it ready enough to ship?"

I guess if it was only public pressure, but it's way more often timing and money. They may want to release it before Christmas, because else they will lose a lot of sales, even if the game is better. They can't wait a year to release it, because that cost a lot of money too. They sometimes can't afford longer development time and must release it. Usually it's not the devs, but the publisher.

From what I've heard about this game, it doesn't seem to have been pushed to be released too early for other reasons than monetary. I doubt it's the timing. They were planning on finishing up the game just about now, and so while they were making the game, something took longer and they adapted to that and had to make the game shorter etc to meet deadline. It may also just have been this short to begin with. Perhaps they should have sold at a lower price, because I'm pretty sure that would have made an effect on reviews. Right now it's full price for a short game with gameplay as you'd expect from a third person shooter and good sound and graphics. Had they adjusted the price to the amount of content, I don't think there would have been anywhere near as much to pull it down for.

Did Sony push them to hold the dead line, or was this simply their vision and it was a bit shorter than expected? Very hard to say.

I guess if it was only public pressure, but it's way more often timing and money. They may want to release it before Christmas, because else they will lose a lot of sales, even if the game is better. They can't wait a year to release it, because that cost a lot of money too. They sometimes can't afford longer development time and must release it. Usually it's not the devs, but the publisher.

From what I've heard about this game, it doesn't seem to have been pushed to be released too early for other reasons than monetary. I doubt it's the timing. They were planning on finishing up the game just about now, and so while they were making the game, something took longer and they adapted to that and had to make the game shorter etc to meet deadline. It may also just have been this short to begin with. Perhaps they should have sold at a lower price, because I'm pretty sure that would have made an effect on reviews. Right now it's full price for a short game with gameplay as you'd expect from a third person shooter and good sound and graphics. Had they adjusted the price to the amount of content, I don't think there would have been anywhere near as much to pull it down for.

Did Sony push them to hold the dead line, or was this simply their vision and it was a bit shorter than expected? Very hard to say.

That's what I mean - timing and money, and pub's trying to keep their shareholders happy. Looking at Unity again, I would assume that the devs knew what state the game was in at the time, but Ubisoft wouldn't let them hold it back. I'll bet money that the actual dev team regrets that the game shipped as it did. But from a publisher's perspective, they probably weighed up the pros and cons and decided they could weather the negative backlash of releasing a buggy game.

My comments were directed at a previous comment about the industry in general, and games being released too early. Turning to The Order: 1886, from what I've read I haven't seen any indication that Ready at Dawn was rushed to launch the game. All the interviews I've read, and that the game apparently runs absolutely flawlessly (unlike Unity), suggest to me that this really was the game RaD wanted to make. The problem vis a vis review scores seems to be that their "vision" doesn't match up with what a modern critic expects from a game. Even the obvious sequel-baiting the story apparently engages in doesn't necessarily mean that they cut anything; the reviews make it sound like they're (presumptuously?) assuming the public will want a sequel.

I totally agree with your comments as regards price. For a SP only, no replay value, 7-10 hour game, gorgeous though it may be, I am not going to spend more than £30. Sorry Sony, but that's just the way I feel. 

I seem to have worked up my own interest in this game, looking at it over the last week. I really want to play it now, if only to satisfy my curiosity about it and be able to speak from a position of knowledge, rather than just relying on what reviewers and other players have said about it. (The easy Plat will be nice too. ;))

I'd quote on this but would rather not take up another page, but I'm not saying the Devs aren't responsible, they are. They created the game(s). What I'm saying is that gamers shouldn't be so hateful because they too, in a way, are partially and indirectly responsible for games flopping. Don't get me wrong, the main blame goes to the devs, but to say gamers have absolutely no influence whatsoever... I just can't believe it, I'm sorry.

I understand not everyone will agree with me. You are entitled to your own opinions. No answer is right or wrong. It's just a matter of prospective, that's all.

hat's what I mean - timing and money, and pub's trying to keep their shareholders happy. Looking at Unity again, I would assume that the devs knew what state the game was in at the time, but Ubisoft wouldn't let them hold it back. I'll bet money that the actual dev team regrets that the game shipped as it did. But from a publisher's perspective, they probably weighed up the pros and cons and decided they could weather the negative backlash of releasing a buggy game.

Just imaging having worked your ass off to make the game for a year or whatever, and then it gets released unfinished because some shareholders want that Christmas money. I'd be so pissed. It harms the developers too, because if the game doesn't do as well, there may be lay-offs etc too. I know what it's like programming something for then to have to "deliver" it unfinished. I know it doesn't work as I want it to, and some more time would have allowed me to fix the issues, but nope, can't wait.

My comments were directed at a previous comment about the industry in general, and games being released too early. Turning to The Order: 1886, from what I've read I haven't seen any indication that Ready at Dawn was rushed to launch the game. All the interviews I've read, and that the game apparently runs absolutely flawlessly (unlike Unity), suggest to me that this really was the game RaD wanted to make. The problem vis a vis review scores seems to be that their "vision" doesn't match up with what a modern critic expects from a game. Even the obvious sequel-baiting the story apparently engages in doesn't necessarily mean that they cut anything; the reviews make it sound like they're (presumptuously?) assuming the public will want a sequel.

I totally agree with your comments as regards price. For a SP only, no replay value, 7-10 hour game, gorgeous though it may be, I am not going to spend more than £30. Sorry Sony, but that's just the way I feel. 

Yeah, I don't see anything unfinished or rushed about this game. It was finished in good time before release. The game was very much like I expected though, and have said other places on this forum before, perhaps a couple of hours less than I thought.

Honestly though, the game isn't that short. Look at their previous Santa Monica games... The God of War games have got a lot of praise, but you can hardly call them longer than this game, I'd say shorter. No co-op, and little replay value.

I seem to have worked up my own interest in this game, looking at it over the last week. I really want to play it now, if only to satisfy my curiosity about it and be able to speak from a position of knowledge, rather than just relying on what reviewers and other players have said about it. (The easy Plat will be nice too.  ;))

Wait a while until it drops to a price you feel comfortable picking it up at. I know that's what I'm going to do, and it's going to be closer to 20-25USD than 30USD, and my prices are usually higher than NA prices.
Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

So the average is a 6 to 7/10? Sounds decent. Will pick it up once it reaches about 20/30 bucks.

Yeah, Metacritic is currently riding at 65%. But I'd read the reviews themselves for the context. A lot of them say that it emphasises story (which some have said isn't great or and others say is even bad) and graphics above gameplay. That might not be your thing.

A game with good gameplay but failings in those areas might also get a similar score, but give a wildly different game.

Yeah, Metacritic is currently riding at 65%. But I'd read the reviews themselves for the context. A lot of them say that it emphasises story (which some have said isn't great or and others say is even bad) and graphics above gameplay. That might not be your thing.

A game with good gameplay but failings in those areas might also get a similar score, but give a wildly different game.

I find it really unfortunate that it got such an average score to say the least. I'm not one to ride the hype train for new IPs. But I had really high hopes for the order.. At least it didn't turn out terrible. And the reception is still quite mixed. I think people should just try going in with zero expectations and see what they think.

This is perfect. 

If you're going to make a game that offers nothing in the way of co-op or multiplayer and expect it to be a hit when the total gameplay is under 10 hours, you're going to be disappointed. The adverts made it look like it had promise, then the reviews came.

Won't be sad about missing this one.

I really enjoyed the game. I understand the flaws but i had a great time overall. Its definitely a flawed game for sure in many ways. Atmosphere and world building is excellent,story is good(could have been better),Graphics are best on console, guns are satisfying to use,voice acting is terrific and the characters are compelling. The way they introduce how the order works is really cool as well. There are quite a few negatives as well such as the mind boggling pacing. You have 1hr long chapters and two back to back chapters with 5mins of cutscenes. There isnt anything new gameplay wise, sequel bait ending with unanswered questions and loose threads, they don't give you enough time with the cool weapons. 1-2mins per unique weapon before they take it away from you and there is zero replay value. I got the platinum in my first play through in about 8hrs. On the whole i still really liked the game and can't wait for the sequel to see what happens. 7.5/10

I really enjoyed the game. I understand the flaws but i had a great time overall. Its definitely a flawed game for sure in many ways. Atmosphere and world building is excellent,story is good(could have been better),Graphics are best on console, guns are satisfying to use,voice acting is terrific and the characters are compelling. The way they introduce how the order works is really cool as well. There are quite a few negatives as well such as the mind boggling pacing. You have 1hr long chapters and two back to back chapters with 5mins of cutscenes. There isnt anything new gameplay wise, sequel bait ending with unanswered questions and loose threads, they don't give you enough time with the cool weapons. 1-2mins per unique weapon before they take it away from you and there is zero replay value. I got the platinum in my first play through in about 8hrs. On the whole i still really liked the game and can't wait for the sequel to see what happens. 7.5/10

Cool man. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I'm having a hard time laughing at this just because I understand what the dude is saying xD

I did wonder what the clip was originally from when I saw it yesterday. Care to enlighten us?

To be honest a short game with an easy Plat and looks stunning from start to finish sounds right up my street. I hear what people are saying though, best to wait for a price drop.

I personally think I'm really going to enjoy this game when I get my hands on it. Only time will tell...

I did wonder what the clip was originally from when I saw it yesterday. Care to enlighten us?

I could make a proper translated script of the video with time stamps. :hmm:

Gimme a few hours to finish personal matters and I'll do it.

I've been debating on whether I should get this game or Dying Light and I'm a little disappointed about the reviews for this game. I think I'll still get it eventually, but I may wait for a price drop.

I enjoy beautiful story driven games, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one. However, I care more about reviews from actual people who have played through the entire game. ^.^ As of right now though, I think I'll be getting Dying light first.

Some of those reviews make me wonder if the "professional" game review scene nowadays is meant to do nothing more than pander to the same people who would quote their article in a forum argument to try and prove a point.

If the con's of a game in your review can be summarized as "OMG QTE's adn NO MULTIPLAYER", you're bad at your job.  Sorry.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

[0:00] " Y me llama el cocinero "

ENG - " And the cook calls me "

[0:03] " Rincita(?) ve por la paillera(?) que son las 2 de la tarde y ya estan aqui "

ENG - " Rincita come over to the paillera(?) its 2PM and they're already here "

[0:07] " Me han bañado (?) en las chanclas to' (todo) despeinao' (despeinado) por que no me dio tiempo de ponerme las chanclas y el bañador "

ENG- " they surprised me, I didn't have the time to brush my hair, get my sandals and bathing shorts on "

[0:16] " voy a la playa habia subido la marea "

ENG - by the time I got to the beach the tide was too high

[0:29] " jesus!! " ( probably the guys name, at this point he starts laughing and I can barely make it out lol )

[0:31] " habia subido la marea y encontre una ballena(?) "

ENG - The tide had risen and I found a whale (?)

[0:40] " La encontre por que estaba la ballena agarra entre las piedras del [says something in between I can't understand] faro "

ENG - I found a whale stuck between the rocks near the lighthouse

[0:48] " y cuando entro al restaurante me ve el cocinero [again he starts laughing and can barely make it out] con la ballena "

ENG- and when I enter the restaurant the cooks sees me with the whale

From here on out they just keep laughing and the guy who's laughing and telling the story keep joking about the whale and the cook

[3:08] " ay ya aborreci la playa "

ENG - I grew bored of the beach

Keep in mind this is a very very rough translation, with all the laughing and the accent of the country this is what I could make out of the video. xD

Edited by Ramonachan

I've been having fun with this game actually! I didn't have any massive expectations for this game but it's been an experience I've enjoyed! Kinda surprised with the ratings that its been getting because there really isn't too much wrong with the game as far as I can tell, lol. Also, 5 hours? Haha nah, I honestly have no earthly idea how people have managed to play this game in 5 hours... I'd say 7 - 10 hours is a more realistic number.

• Like 1

I understand how the glitches and server problems need to be fixed now, but I think overall we have a different problem completely.

I think the problem here is we (the gamers) may be expecting too much from the new gen. Look at the quality of games from the beginning of the PS3 life to the end of the generation. You can't tell me PS3 games haven't improved over time. I mean, just compare Uncharted with Uncharted 3... world of a difference IMO. It'll be the same with the new systems. As companies figure out how the new hardware works, games will get better. We should expect games to be flops at the beginning. It happens.

In some ways, it may even be our fault these games are flops in the first place. We demand and demand for games to come out and companies feel pressure to release them now. Therefore, potential high-quality games are rushed and become just... mediocre and underwhelming and then we complain that the game sucks, even though we wanted the game now. Then, we either return the game or don't buy it at all after reading the reviews and the company loses money and have to slash the prices to try and break even and don't have the funds to make a high quality game anymore.  Maybe we are the problem.

Now, if this trend continues for the next 3-4 years, then I think we have the serious problem you alluded to.

Yes you make a good point, although it has to be said we did get great games (Resistance, Uncharted & Motorstorm) at the beginning of the PS3 era. You are right that we expect too much too soon, but driveclub was delayed a whole year and still came out as a 6/10. 

I really don't understand why people are hating on this game so much. This game has such a high quality value and it's really fun to play. Isn't that what games are about, fun? Reviewers are saying nothing is new in the game, well let me tell you something. Every year there is a new Assassin's Creed, COD, FIFA and all of them have little to nothing new gameplay wise. Why is it that when those games get reviewed they never mention this?

The Order has a lot of nice little details, you can see that they really put much effort into the area's you pass trough. I have been playing for 6-7 hours and not even close to the end. So like people are saying short game, i guess if you just rush trough it and don't look around at the amazing scenery :)

Well, I gotta admit, I enjoyed the game quite a bit! It's not perfect, but it's by no means bad either. I'd say some reviewers were far too harsh on the game. The story was pretty interesting, the cast was good, the graphics were freaking gorgeous, but the gameplay certainly needs improvement. Gameplay wise, I'd say it's like this strange mixture of Heavy Rain and Uncharted. I'm not sure how long it took me to beat, but the length felt decent enough. I hope more people give the game a chance. I think it's worth checking out, especially after a price drop. I hope it sells enough for a sequel, because I'm really interested to see where the story goes from here. And if Ready at Dawn takes the criticism to heart and work to improve the game's flaws, I think they could turn the sequel into something pretty awesome.

• Like 1

I really don't understand why people are hating on this game so much. This game has such a high quality value and it's really fun to play. Isn't that what games are about, fun? Reviewers are saying nothing is new in the game, well let me tell you something. Every year there is a new Assassin's Creed, COD, FIFA and all of them have little to nothing new gameplay wise. Why is it that when those games get reviewed they never mention this?

I don't know what review sites you read, but those that I read regularly certainly do mention it when a big franchise like CoD or AC fails to advance it's gameplay mechanics. I usually go to Eurogamer and The Jimquisition, FYI.

Another difference is that these are established IPs with established formulae that they know their fans like. The Order is new IP. So it's fair, IMO, to say that it has borrowed gameplay elements from other franchises. There is a big difference between saying "The Order takes its TPS mechanics from GoW and RE4" and "GoW2 uses the same cover mechanics as GoW1 did".

Keep in mind this is a very very rough translation, with all the laughing and the accent of the country this is what I could make out of the video. xD

Wow, thanks for going through that effort. So its a story about a whale. Lol.

Did you see that whoever these guys are that fake-dub these videos also did a version of this clip for Evolve? It was also funny. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this video in the future.

Yikes! A Santa Monica dev tweets that developers should stop sending review sites advance copies and buying ads. 

Story here: http://www.craveonline.co.uk/gaming/articles/826607-santa-monica-dev-threatens-pull-ads-low-order-1886-reviews

The tweets in question have since been deleted from the guy's Twitter account.