Review roundup

StrickenBiged

I honestly don't think the gameplay is bad. Its not the most complex but it is by no means is bad. It's solid. That's how I would describe it. Overall the game has been extremley solid, for me. I haven't experienced a single bug or glitch and its simply gorgeous. I enjoyed the story and the world they built, especially the historical fiction aspect of the world.

I also think another way to put it is concise. It isn't fluffed out to be too long for the story. They wrote a story and made the gameplay length compliment that. I can't image The Order as a game with a billion collectibles that don't add anything to the story or a bunch of fluff side missions. It was really refreshing to play a game that was on point. I didn't feel like I was wasting my time.

But another thing I would say is that this game is all about the story. I wasn't playing to simply play the mechanics of the game. I do that with some games because I love how they work or the combat or certain collectibles. But I was playing the story in this game, which was really refreshing. I didn't get distracted by little things.

I also hope they make a sequal similar to the uncharted series. That series got better with each game and I think that The Order could do that too. As long as they don't change up the whole scheme and fluff it out.

Just a few ramblings.

Again, this is all my personal opinion. If you didn't like the game or agree with me that ok. We are meant to have varied opinions and I love a good discussion.

• Like 1

in my opinion the game was great but its downfall is it kinda felt like walking into a book store finding this great book u read it cover to cover then u realive u read only chapter 5 thats how this game feels to me its good but it feels like they shold hve started at the beginning and worked its way up to this then continued on passed where the game ends 

to shorten it it feels like ur laying a peice of a larger game somewhere in the middle of a larger design

its like they expected u to know and understand these people these events the history but u dont t the point u dont understand why they are acting and reacting like they are 

Some people are alleging that this review was done by a developer of the game. Edit: The YouTuber denies this on Twitter, and a poster on Reddit who claims to be from RaD has denied he is a developer with them.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt on that, I have an issue with both the guys professionalism and his main premise when it comes to criticising reviewers who have slated the game.

1. You don't go around slagging off other people for having an opinion on a game that's contrary to your own. If you think the game was great, then say so. Being rude to other reviewers isn't very professional.

2. His main premise for defending the game is that 1886 does exactly what the devs had set out to do and promised. I'm sorry, but that's a really bad argument. If I set out to deliberately make a broken game, full of glitches, insane difficulty spikes, sections where you could get killed instantly for failing a "too fast" QTE, poor checkpointing that introduced hours of repetition, and then delivered on those promises by releasing such a shitty game, should I get rewarded because the end product matched what I set out to achieve? No. My game would be panned, and rightly so.

Anyway, there's a positive review for the game in there once you get past his hissy fit... ;) Edited by StrickenBiged

The one thing this game excels in is it's polish. The scourge of modern gaming is lack of polish and an essence that makes you feel like the developers poured their lives into their games, but 1886 really feels good. The gameplay is a little lacking as it largely consists of walking slowly through beautiful corridors, making your way to the next 8 minute cutscene. Normally, a review that starts this way would inevitably continue with more criticism, but for me, that's where it ends. I think the most important thing to think before playing this game is not expecting to be like other games of this era. The Order is extremely story heavy and well more about the experience than the actual gameplay. You won't find Michael Bay explosions and shallow, lavish action scenes around every corner, but when there is a moment of action, it's exciting and worth the wait. The game starts off slow, there's no getting around it, but if you commit to the story, it pays back in full. The environment is incredible to look at as this game may very well be the most visually impressive of this generation. Every moment felt like it could be a cutscene with just the pure beauty of every moment. The gunplay is repetitive, but never a bore, and the diversity in the guns allows for some level of a personalized play style. The game ends of a bit of weird point and is somewhat inconclusive, but it could just be the opening for a sequel. Overall, this is a great 10 hours, but not a whole lot more. 

Positives:

- Visually impressive

- Incredibly polished

- Intriguing story

- Immersive World

Negatives

- Short

- Little replayability and no additional features

- Overly simple gameplay

- Important moments were played out in simple QTE sequences

• Like 1

Angry Joe's review. Surprise surprise, he was not a fan either. 

The game ends of a bit of weird point and is somewhat inconclusive, but it could just be the opening for a sequel. 

Is that a good thing in your opinion? It's not clear from your comments.

Personally, I can imagine this pissing me off as it 1) seems presumptuous to me, like they're assuming they'll get a green light for a sequel on a new IP; and 2) doesn't finish the story in this game.

I still need to play this game though, once the price drops significantly. 

For anyone who doesn't have it or maybe hasn't heard of it, I can't recommend GameFly enough. It looks a little pricey at first, but it's perfect for games like this that only took me 10ish hours to platinum, but I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't consider it worth $60 but it's absolutely worth a playthrough. As far as the ending, it ended inconclusively with a lot of questions left unanswered, so in that way I wish they would've thought about it some more. However, the story they put together was fantastic, so I trust that they will tie up all the loose ends and that everything was intentionally, but only time will tell. Would I have liked a more thoughtful ending? Sure. 

Pros:

Best graphics I've ever seen on a console

Good voice acting

Great atmosphere

Great story ideas

Cons:

Too short

Too cinematic. There's a lot of cutscenes. The widescreen isn't necessary. 

No replay value

Generic cover based shooting

Not enough mythological creatures. Most of the game is fighting human soldiers and rebels who all look the same.

Too many QTEs

Disappointing ending that doesn't tie any loose ends. It's clearly leading up to a sequel, but that doesn't mean you leave gamers with a ton of questions

A lot of these aren't that bad if it wasn't $60. Overall, I still kind of liked it. Just wait until the price drops. 

Edited by Lilseb93

I recently got this game and stumbled across some reviews. Was stunned.

Personally, I tend to disregard reviews because I want to try it out for myself. And its almost certain you'll be influenced by them and hen when you do play it, you'll have preconceived ideas of what its actually like.

With media these days, its pretty easy to see whether you'll probably like a game or not. And, I'm sure you know what you want to play. If you want/like a game like MGS, get MGS and similar titles, and so on.

As for my thoughts, I personally LOVED it.

As has been said before, graphics blew me away. As for the cinematic experience, I thought it was a refreshing change and loved the cinematic feel, as opposed to a game like Destiny. (I may be one of the few that actually hated that game. Its a great game but I'm getting tired of games like that. It doesn't stop me from getting the "Digital Guardian Edition" but I'd rather play something else 90% of the time.)

Some argue that some of the things in game such as "picking up a picture that turns to to be irrelevant" is a waste, but I think it adds to the immersion. I don't know if that is what 1800's London looked like but as a London-er, I was fascinated. E.g. Strolling through Mayfair, going through the (then) Tube. I LIKED taking my time admiring ALL the detail - e.g. walking past a lamp and being shocked at how the rain rolls of it and how amazing it looks. A freaking LAMP.

It was also very balanced in action and exploration. And the fact that the characters are amazing, the soundtrack is fantastic, the voice-acting is top-notch all add to the game.

As for replay value, just play the game again? We're developing a culture where there needs to be a reason to play a game again. Why can't I just play it again because I like it? I've played some games loads of times but still play them. I've seen some movies loads of times but still watch them. You always catch something new when you do.

I'll certainly play again - because I want to - mostly to admire the detail, but each to his/her own. It certainly deserves to be played more than once in my opinion. I certainly don't need "multiplayer" to play it again. [i personally feel some games lose some of their feel by adding things like multiplayer where it isn't needed.]

And whats all the hate about QTE's? It certainly didn't feel like "too many". Aren't Telltale Games titles fairly popular? Aren't those basically QTE-fests? Or is the hate because its not what is expected in a game like this one?

(With such top-notch everything, with graphics like these, so grand in experience, it should obviously be a 200-hour exploration/shoot-a-thon; right?)

Sure, it could have been longer, but that very subjective. You can finish a game like GOW or MGS in about 6 hours if you're some master gamer just running from point A-B, but not everyone is going to take that long to play such games. Does that mean they are "bad" or "below average" games? I don't think so. Everyone gets something different out of a game.

Yes, some things could be done better, but that's the case with a lot of games. And I personally feel there isn't much wrong with this. It is still definitely one of my favourite games I've ever played and won't let a review or anyone tarnish my thoughts about it. If there is a sequel, I'm getting it immediately - the full 80 GBP Special Edition with Soundtrack, "Making-Of" and useless Pendant (or whatever they add) that I'll never wear.

Any gamer shouldn't let rubbish like, its "too short" or "there's too many QTE's" stop you otherwise you'll miss out on gems like this one.

Edited by halcyon_32
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm enjoying it, cut scenes are way too long and there's not enough feeling that you're invovled in the game story.

Still for £20 it's kinda fun and a good looking cover shooter.

Where'd you find it for £20? That was my "I'll give it a go at that" price that I had in mind...

• 4 weeks later...

Ouch. This one from GamesTM (the delay is because they're a print mag, so they only put content online after the next mag has come out) may be the most damming review so far...

The design presents you with such a narrow beam of focus that you never once slip into character as Galahad and believe that you’re a knight on a quest for truth and justice. Instead, you’re dragged through proceedings and told what to do, what to look at, what to feel. This would be perfectly acceptable rollercoaster if the writing, acting and directing were on a par with even the most questionable of Michael Bay offerings, but it’s simply not.

The Order clearly sees itself as some sort of bridge between the world of games and cinema, but it fails miserably to create the essence, tones or rewards offered by either medium. Its only saving grace is that it offers so little by way of new ideas that you feel immediately safe in the knowledge that it’s not going to suddenly ask you to do something that you’ve not done hundreds of times before. You don’t need to worry about how to play or what to do, you can simply slump into a mild coma and have at it.

3/10

Edited by StrickenBiged

• 1 month later...

People tend to say that Order is WAY too short. I thought the same, when I finished the main story.

But I'll be honest, not many games with linear gameplay offer much longer experience. I've just finished Max Payne 3 main story/campaign on steam. 7 hours on normal difficulty. Well that wasn't much longer than Order and I can't remember anyone ever complaining that Max Payne 3 was too short. That's just an example, other linear games with "shoot there, kill that" mechanic never offer dozens of hours - 3 evenings and you're usually done with it. 

If you can rent Order 1886 or buy it for £20-25 - get it, don't hesitate.

The Order's a pretty fun story-driven game, people are being way too harsh with it.

And definitely the campaign is not THAT short, 'cause if you don't rush it and take your time to explore everything instead it can last for more than 10 hours in hard mode (which is good nowadays).

It has its flaws, though: the collectibles are meaningless, and the game is definitely lacking of some kind of multiplayer/online content.

Edited by ASmartKid24

This game is pretty good,I can't wait to play the second one :), I bought the collector edition and i'm not disappointed at all about the statue and the steelbook. 9.5/10 is a pretty accurate score i would say (for me, of course)

• 2 months later...