Games or characters that changed you as a person.

wildstwawberries

Every game makes me lazy more and more, ha.

I also grew up with games like Super Mario, Pokemon, The Legend of Zelda etc i would be a totally different person if i growed up without these games; a frickin' boring person i guess.

Characters? I don't think that there are any characters in videogames who changed my personality directly.

• Like 2

I suppose in a sense, every video game I've ever played and every character within, along with every movie, book, and stranger on the street has been burned into my memories and subconscious. It's reasonable to think that we are greatly influenced by our experiences, even the trivial. It would be unreasonable to assume that no game or character or book or movie has ever influenced who we've become, but I would still say that no game or character has ever made a profound, direct, dramatic impact on me. I'm not saying I've never felt any emotional response during a game, of course, but nothing about my political, social, religious, or personal beliefs where ripped open like "Oh! Yoshi is tolerant of other cultures, I should be too!" or "Doomguy solves his problems with a shotgun, maybe this is how I can improve my High School experience!"

• Like 2

Kazuma Kiryu he taught me you can kick the living shit out of every gangster in town and still have time to be a good dad to your orphans and feed animals all at the same time.

I also now know that when in the wild and a tiger attacks me I can just uppercut it.

Francis York Morgan showed me if everyone is crazy things are freaking hilarious.

• Like 1

One character that altered my very being was Narukami from Persona. I mean, sure he didn't really talk much, but he withstood a great amount of adversities and pushed his way through it with hopes and dreams for a better future and that helped me get out of a terrible situation I was in not too long ago, so with that being said-- I appreciate each game for having it's own unique purpose and ability to change a persons perspective. ( Sorry for bad English!)

• 2 weeks later...

Memory is vague on Heavy Rain which is incredibly depressing, but I can certainly claim that Jak from the Jak and Daxter series and Cole from the inFAMOUS series has changed me, to some degree, as a person.

I believe Walker from Spec Ops: The Line has also, but not in the same way, he just changed my ways of thinking a bit, especially via war... same applies to The Last of Us. Joel and Ellie didn't really change me as a person, I was just able to feel for them (and Walker and his team) and got me emotionally attached to their characters. I think this is what people get confused with honestly. Basically, Joel and Walker definitely had impact on me (the story, their development, their prominence, etc), but aside from the sympathy and stuff, they just changed my ways of thinking a bit. I say a bit, because since people's personalities don't change just like that in the snap of a finger, a person doesn't change too much since P makes up most of the person.. to an extent.

It's somewhat hard to explain, but Joel and Walker basically weren't like Cole, where Cole had to decide what decisions were best to do which in the end he ends up learning the important and right decisions as well as.. basically the whole decision aspect can actually change a person or shift them in another direction. Walker and Joel made decisions, but it was different and they didn't learn from them at all, unlike Cole did. But all the characters had strong impact on me, just in different ways.

Joel from The Last of Us impacted me a bit. A guy who has lost his daughter, and continues to survive through the hellish apocalypse when a lot of people I know in this day and age would have just given up. Especially his quote "I've struggled a long time with surviving, but no matter what you have to find something to fight for." When you put things in perspective, the kind of life he went through makes our regular, trivial problems in the world seem almost like nothing, so it's a big boost in motivation to keep on fighting no matter what. Also his "I guess no matter how hard you try, you can never escape your past" when Ellie gives him the picture of Sarah. That quote reached out to me and taught me that you can't change the past so might as well accept it. I've learned that the less expectations you hold and the more accepting you are with things that can't be changed, the more content you will be in life. Overall the game has given me a better outlook on life and made me feel more content with mine.

On a lighter note, Assassin's Creed 4 also impacted me. Ever since I played the game, it really got me into history in the 1700's with pirates and it's really fascinating to learn about all of the things that happened during those times. Looking at people like Blackbeard or Bartholomew Roberts, it makes me want to do and see as much as I can in my life before it ends. Especially the quote from Roberts "a merry life and a short one" where he emphasized to live our lives as fully as possible before it's too late; a philosophy I think everyone should follow. In the near future when I'm older and more experienced I want to travel to different places, meet new people, see new things, and just explore (minus all of the stealing, looting, destroying, and killing that pirates do of course :P ).

If you are malleable enogh as a person to have your personality altered by a videogame, then congratulations- you are the person people are talking about when they try to censor the industry to protect vulnerable people from the 'culture of violence'

If you are malleable enogh as a person to have your personality altered by a videogame, then congratulations- you are the person people are talking about when they try to censor the industry to protect vulnerable people from the 'culture of violence'

It hasn't altered my personality, it's given me a different outlook on things. 

That comment is beyond stupid. When you read a book, watch a movie or a tv show it can show you a different point of view for some things just like talking to another person is. It's not the same when you play GTA and decide you want to go on a killing spree and when you play Devil may cry 3 for example. Maybe you got in a fight with your brother, he didn't become a fucking demon, but maybe you argued about something stupid and haven't talked in a while. And then maybe you start thinking "what if he was gone?", "what if i never see him again?". I think we all know a person or two where their last words to a loved one was something they didn't mean and if a VIDEO GAME made you go and apologize even if nothing happened to that person after that. Childish, stupid or "vulnerable" as you called it, I don't care what it is there are some kinds of media that can change people for the better. I don't know if you heard but people change through their whole lives. 

• Like 1

i can honestly say that i'd be a sports loving, statistic craving, bandwagon riding man.......IF i grew up playing games about sports i'd never actually make it in lol i grew up on Final Fantasy and Resident Evil, i'd be a completely different being if i was introduced to NBA Jam rather than Final Fantasy VII and Tomb raider in the '90's

Goku, Luffy and Natsu from fairy tail.

I was inspired to get in shape, harden my resolve, and try harder in everything. I mean, what kind of man am I, if I sit there looking at a guy with rock hard abs, a nice look, and a strong will, while I waste away, getting weaker by the day? So now I look like an athlete, I'm sharp as a whip, I have a nice look, and I took up manga. :pimp:

Thanks goku, and the others

goku_luffy_natsu_by_verderosa-d729n1k.jp