Unexpected bug, glitch, expolit or whatever.

fabmorais_2011

Something very strange happened to me while playing Rogue Legacy last night on my VITA, and I thought to share it with you guys. This might get a little long, so hang tight.

After killing the four remix bosses and with only Brohannes left to do, I was farming for blueprints and runes because I was not quite sure how to get to Brohannes yet. Then I came across a Shrine and it gave me the Traitor obol. (I reckon that's because I had killed Johannes before, but died at the Fountain.)

Eventually, I died on this run and, on the next one, gave the obol to Charon. I still didn't know all boss doors would be opened again and Brohannes would be there, so I just went to the final boss stage, expecting it to be different since I had given the obol to Charon. Obviously, I was wrong, so I proceeded to kill Johannes and the Fountain and finished the game, which gave me the Paterphobia trophy and unlocked New Game+.

I then searched the internet and discovered that Brohannes was actually on any boss door that I had previously defeated and decided to make it the first thing I would do on NG+. So I've defeated Khiril on NG+ and voilá, when I re-entered the door Brohannes were there. That's when things began to get strange.

After a few tries I've defeated them and, after getting the treasure chest and the Mega Man-like teleporting animation, the Syngenesophobia trophy popped in and I've put my VITA aside to take a sip from a glass of water. When I looked back, the game was frozen on the next screen, with the save wheel frozen as well. Knowing that this game is plagued with bugs, I thought I would get a corrupted save file, but I had no choice but to reboot it.

When I did so, the start screen was saying Begin your Legacy (or whatever message appears there, I don't recall) and I thought, oh well, there went my save file. However, when I pressed Select to check the saves, I was surprised to see a save file with my level 114 hero and 0:00 minutes played. The file also said my hero was Johannes The Traitor. I found it strange, but thought that maybe that was what the game was supposed to do after all, after you get the Traitor class.

So I started that file and was prompted directly to the entrance of the castle, and not the Choose your heir or Manor screen. My hero was a level 114 Traitor with all my gear, runes and boosts. And when I talked to the Blacksmith and the Enchantress, they said the things they say when you first met them, but all gear and runes I've collected on previous runs were already there. Strange indeed. Charon was nowhere to be found, so I've entered the castle.

Needless to say that my hero was a beast. I breezed through the castle, killed all four bosses with ease and went to fight Johannes and the Fountain, so at least I could get the Katagelasticism trophy on this very odd save file and see what I could do afterwards. But when I killed the Fountain, that's when my jaw dropped. Right after the last blow... the Thanatophobia trophy popped in. Let me say that again: Thanatophobia. Trophy. Popped. In.

By means of a strange bug, glitch, exploit or whatever, the game gave me a save file with 0 children, but with an over-powered Traitor on the place of a 0 level character.

After the credits, I was prompted to a NG+ screen, and again my OP Traitor was available. I still haven't played through NG+ with him, but I will and will also post the results here. Right now, because of this, the only trophies I still need are Geminiphobia, Disposophobia and Gnosiophilia, so I'll see if I can do them with this save file, or if the bug evolves somehow and prevents me from doing so. If that's the case, I'll have to reload a save file from a couple of hours before all that happened that I had thankfully uploaded on the cloud, so in the end I will lose only a few hours of progress. Let's see.

Pretty weird, uhn?

Edited by fabmorais_2011

I can't point out how it did happen, but it's was very much a glitch that has favored your end. I would like a vita screenshot of your character if you could. Does he looks like exactly like Johannes as well? 

This is my character right now, at the beginning of NG+. He's level 144 actually, I wrote the above from memory.

traitor.jpg

You knew you could just press the PS button and Start at the same time to take a screenshot, right?

He looks awesome, but I thought he would be one-color only. Still, looks overkill to have, kinda envy not having a traitor myself, couldn't even beat the remix bosses yet. :(

• Like 1

You knew you could just press the PS button and Start at the same time to take a screenshot, right?

He looks awesome, but I thought he would be one-color only. Still, looks overkill to have, kinda envy not having a traitor myself, couldn't even beat the remix bosses yet. :(

Didn't know about the screenshot feature, thanks. This was superquick to do, anyway :)

Well, I'll see about the other trophies later and if something interesting happens I'll post here.

BTW, I'm from Brazil as well, I only live in Portugal ;-)

Remix bosses were very tough, I had far too much trouble with Ponce de Freon before I beat him.

Edited by fabmorais_2011
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just had the same glitch. It started the game over with New Game instead of New Game +++ (which I was on). I thought it was strange, but I kept playing. I beat all the bosses again and they were at an extremely low level. I thought "Oh, this must be the Traitor's special ability or something." So then I unlocked the door and beat Johannes and the Fountain again and Thanatophobia popped. I'm disappointed that I got the trophy because of a glitch :(

• Like 1

I just had the same glitch. It started the game over with New Game instead of New Game +++ (which I was on). I thought it was strange, but I kept playing. I beat all the bosses again and they were at an extremely low level. I thought "Oh, this must be the Traitor's special ability or something." So then I unlocked the door and beat Johannes and the Fountain again and Thanatophobia popped. I'm disappointed that I got the trophy because of a glitch :(

Aha! So I'm not alone.

To be frank, I'm pretty sure that after beating the remixed bosses and collectiong all the blueprints on NG++ I was already so good at the game that Thanatophobia would be very much doable anyway -- the normal game/bosses just seem so slow and easy after you've done all that! But yeah, it would have been nice to get it naturally. :/

Aha! So I'm not alone.

To be frank, I'm pretty sure that after beating the remixed bosses and collectiong all the blueprints on NG++ I was already so good at the game that Thanatophobia would be very much doable anyway -- the normal game/bosses just seem so slow and easy after you've done all that! But yeah, it would have been nice to get it naturally. :/

I'm probably going to try to beat the game in under 15 lives just so that I feel like I really earned the trophy.
  • Like 1

First post!....what a what way to start haha

Wow, I read this thread earlier thinking how crazy that this could possibly happen.....but it just now happened to me. Except I'm on PS4 not on Vita.

I'm a completionist by nature so on my very first run of the game I killed every remix boss as soon as I had the opportunity to. I killed the main 4 bosses and their remixes then went ahead to take on Johannes. After starting NG+ I found the Traitor's Obol rather quickly, so after I took down Khidr in NG+ I immediately fought Brohanness. After beating him (after many many many tries....), the game froze while saving and eventually crashed. After starting the game up again, I too saw the "Start Your Legacy" and my jaw dropped cause I thought I lost my save file. After pressing X my jaw dropped even further than that after my character was Johannes the Traitor. Like you, he was super OP with 900+ health and 233 strength. I cleared the castle in 25 minutes, also with 0 children. This also unlocked the Katagelasticism and Thanatophobia trophies. 

Anyway, I started through NG+ now and Johannes the Traitor is still my character. I'm more than likely going to just start a new save file to earn the Disposophobia, Gnosiophilia, and Geminiphobia trophies. But yeah....crazy that this happened to me too. 

Edited by slashvoid-13
  • Like 2

First post!....what a what way to start haha

Wow, I read this thread earlier thinking how crazy that this could possibly happen.....but it just now happened to me. Except I'm on PS4 not on Vita.

I'm a completionist by nature so on my very first run of the game I killed every remix boss as soon as I had the opportunity to. I killed the main 4 bosses and their remixes then went ahead to take on Johannes. After starting NG+ I found the Traitor's Obol rather quickly, so after I took down Khidr in NG+ I immediately fought Brohanness. After beating him (after many many many tries....), the game froze while saving and eventually crashed. After starting the game up again, I too saw the "Start Your Legacy" and my jaw dropped cause I thought I lost my save file. After pressing X my jaw dropped even further than that after my character was Johannes the Traitor. Like you, he was super OP with 900+ health and 233 strength. I cleared the castle in 25 minutes, also with 0 children. This also unlocked the Katagelasticism and Thanatophobia trophies. 

Anyway, I started through NG+ now and Johannes the Traitor is still my character. I'm more than likely going to just start a new save file to earn the Disposophobia, Gnosiophilia, and Geminiphobia trophies. But yeah....crazy that this happened to me too. 

Wow, thanks for sharing!

I guess that makes it officially a glitch/exploit then, as you've done almost the same exact thing as me.

As I said it previously, amazing game -- but glitchy as hell. Had it froze on me other times on the PS3 as well and when it came out on Plus they had to disable automatic cross-save because Sony servers wasn't handling it properly (not a glitch, but still).

Edited by fabmorais_2011

Wow, thanks for sharing!

I guess that makes it officially a glitch/exploit then, as you've done almost the same exact thing as me.

As I said it previously, amazing game -- but glitchy as hell. Had it froze on me other times on the PS3 as well and when it came out on Plus they had to disable automatic cross-save because Sony servers wasn't handling it properly (not a glitch, but still).

Funny because I didn't experience any kind of hiccup before this one. Funnier because it ended up being one that was generally very helpful. But yes, I agree, this is an amazing game and easily one of my favorites in recent memory. I can't believe I let this game slip by me in 2013 on PC and on PS in 2014. But hey, blessing in disguise because of the PS+ free download. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This happened to me last night. I had just beaten the brothers and the game froze during the auto save. I went to the menu, closed the application (played it on PS4), and started it back up. I knew something was off when it said "Start your legacy" or whatever. Then again when Death was not waiting at the castle entrance. Then yet again when I noticed all the enemies where the original low level enemies. So needless to say, the level 507 Traitor tore them apart. I saved a video of the final boss fight and had my nephew take a back up video with my phone. I ended up unlocking the trophy for mocking the traitor, thanatophobia, and that platinum all at once. The PS4 videos were automatic for some reason; I just needed to save them. The video of the trophies unlocking are on the phone. If anyone is interested, I can put the videos, screenshots, and a detailed explaination together then post them on YouTube.

• 5 years later...

FUCK!

This happened to me today on the PS3, but I was so, SO freaked out about the tutorial character and 0:00 played time that I instantly downloaded my backed up PS+ cloud save... I didn't recall the begining of the game very well, so I thought Johannes was supposed to be the playable character on that part, also, the nostalgia filter made me not pay much attention to the HUD, I didn't notice my HP, MP and level stats to see wheter they were over powered, but they probably were.

I lost 3 hours of progress, including my victory against both Ponce de Freon and Brohannes, as well as my Traitor class which is not unlocked anymore.

I'm only missing Thanatophobia, beating the game twice and the NG+ pieces of armor for the platinum (I already had half of them when the game froze mid-save). I'm just sad that I wasn't on the mood of facing the last 2 remixes again and losing my Traitor after not even an hour of unlocking it, but at least I still get to do Thanatophobia legitimately.

Five years late to the party but, sup Brazil gang ?

• 9 months later...

So is this a predictable glitch?

- Kill the remix bosses during your NG run

- Kill Johannes (but not the Fountain), die, find a Traitor's Obol, and then kill the Fountain to start NG+

- In NG+, kill any boss and fight Brohannes

It must have something to do with turning in the Traitor's Obol before fighting Johannes on that NG cycle, I guess. This thread is the only discussion I can find on it, no information about whether it may have been patched or not.

Update: Tried it myself (on PS4), no freezing, no game restarting. I'm not sure what may have caused this glitch, but it may have been patched in the... 6 years since first reported. :/

Edited by PhyrxianLibrarin
  • Like 1