Do you think rareity equals skill?

TakeaShower__

Rarity != Skill

It's more a measure of how many people bothered to put in the effort.  Sure, easy trophies can be common...  But not necessarily.

As an example, I give you Vessel.  It's a bit of a puzzle game, with a minor bit of skill involved, but also checkpoints to reload close to each event.  The answers to all the puzzles and collectibles are all online, in written words and videos.  Yet only one trophy is over 20%; the next highest hasn't even his 7%.  This is not a game that requires skill, people!  But it was free on PS+.

Another one, DC Universe Online, where anyone who loads the game ends up with the trophies on their profile, but only subscribers ever receive the trophies.  This understandably skews the values of everything, because trophies only count if one actually pays for them, but there's no requirement to invest any money at all in order to play the actual game.

I could go on.  Basically, I think rarities merely show attention span!  Yes, sometimes a trophy's rarity really does show the skill of a player, and how difficult a trophy was to earn, such as GT5's "Gold Standard" - but even something such as this still requires a time commitment to actually reach each event, so it merely serves to show both commitment and skill, not simply skill alone.

Edited by SolarCat02
  • Like 1

No, i'd rather call it "dedication".

There are also some cases where a trophy is rare because the game is "bad" or people only finish the story/play the MP, keep in mind that most trophies are Ultra Rare according to the Sony servers, so believe what you want...

It all depends on the game.  Some really rare trophies require mad skills and dedication, but there are some that are just stupid.  Some of the hardest games out there are less rare than some of the easiest/ dumbest ones.  Wish there was some way to fix this, but to keep it legit they can't.

Of course not. Many ultra-rare trophies are a result of free games on PSN.

Not as long as dlc is treated the way it is currently.

Grounded mode in The Last of Us is hard as hell - it has a 100% commonality value according to the bizzaro way this site treats dlc ownership.

This, too. I mentioned this in another thread, but one of the hardest trophies I have is for gun.smoke fromCapcom's Arcade Cabinet, which has 100% commonality. The other gun.smoke trophy (requiring the player to beat the game) still has high commonality, and it is brutal.