Hobbies Outside of Gaming?

Parker

I'm curious to know what you guys do in your free time, other than game.

I'm a huge music fan, so I play a lot of guitar in my free time. I've got a vintage '77 Gibson Les Paul as well as a Marshall Full Stack as my main gear. I also have a little guitar collection going with multiple Fender's, Ovations and others along with multiple amps. I'm keeping an eye our for a '59 Les Paul, but I'm sure I'll never be able to afford one anyway...

I'm also a huge Diesel fan so I like to play under the hood of diesel powered vehicles. My personal vehicle is a '91 Dodge Ram, with a 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 5spd Manual and dual rear wheels. I've been farming my whole life and at a young age I realized the huge advantages diesel has over gasoline so I naturally gravitated to diesel powered road going vehicles as well.

Parker

- collect video games

- collect video game systems

- collect Pokemon cards (I have every Pokemon card from Generation I in a binder in near mint condition)

- I'm a big music nerd. I'll listen to anything except todays music. I'll even listen to old videogame soundtracks ^_^

I like to roller blade. I love watching hockey during the NHL season, wouldn't mind joining a roller hockey league in my free time someday.

I used to play Magic the Gathering with friends, collecting cards and making decks. Still kinda fun from time to time. They try and get me to play D&D now too, but that's even a little geeky for my blood. Tried it once and it was kinda fun, I guess.

I used to love making websites, typically fan sites for games/consoles. They started out pretty crappy but by the time I stopped I was administrating a few popular-ish sites with the numbers of members in the thousands. It was really interesting watching how communities grow. Would spend many a night implementing new features and security measures. Since there are fantastic sites like this one around already dedicated to one of my favorite hobbies, I don't really feel a need to do this much these days.

A lot of that was a long time ago though. Nowadays my hobbies are mainly the PS3, roller blading and hockey lol... and hanging out here.

none really. going to work, ain't a hobby. keeping the wife happy, ain't hobby. playing with the kids, ain't a hobby. playing with PS3, is a hobby. but you wanted to know what else. ummm, is forum hoping a hobby.? would that qualify.? I guess if I ain't doing one of the above then I'm online on the comp. yeah I know, I seriously need a life. but believe it or not, except for the last two, the others keep Me out the house enough. well that's it. hope some can relate. :rolleyes:

Other than gaming, I love to cook and bake. I play sports as well, like badminton, soccer and street hockey. In the winter, I love to be out snowboarding or inside screaming at the TV (usually during hockey games). I'm a giant nerd though so whenever I can, I read comic books/manga, play with Lego and play boardgames. gardening is a new hobby for me, but it's almost the end of the season so I'm catching up to TV shows.

• 1 month later...

As for myself, I am a amateur Astronomer and spend many hours peering into the vastness of space and all the wonders it hides with my fairly large telescope. Open clusters, globular cluster, nebula, galaxies, planets...all of them are a marvel and I never tire of looking at them. I also sketch many of the objects I observe through the eyepiece, giving myself a visual reference of my past observations. Below is one such sketch of the Orion nebula:

13625M42_-_Orion_Nebula.jpg

In addition to Astronomy, I am an avid classic movie fan; being particularly fond of classic horror & sci-fi, "Pre-code" and silent movies. Over the years we have amassed a healthy collection that never leaves us short on viewing choices.

If I am not gaming, watching movies or looking through my telescope, I can often be found either puttering around in the garden tending to the rose garden and flowers, or in the kitchen "whooping something up".

...of course, I do try to spend quality time just relaxing on our back porch with a cup of coffee & a good book or magazine as well.

• Like 2

Playing PS3 is probably bottom of my hobbies list (sorry), in terms of time i'm left with that is. As Simba said my wife and kids although not to be described as a hobby are how I tend to fill in the blanks between work and sleep. I used to play golf as a hobby but this year its been elevated to the category of a "passion", I play every week, mostly two rounds a week and joined a private club this year so Fridays have for a long time been renamed Golfday for me.

Apart from that, family and PS3 I also like to have a dabble brewing my own beer. I have a rolling stock of 160 uk pints and always have one rolling off the production line to have a sup of. Its one of those hobbies that gives you an appreciation of a good pint and also makes you realize that shop bought lager and similar is really crap. Just full of additives and pasteurized for continuity of flavour from one can to another. I would settle for a "live" ale any day.

• 2 weeks later...