change how average rarity is calculated

MMDE

I think average rarity should be calculated based on consistent data. Because of the way DLC owners are counted, I think it is wrong to mix that up with the average for trophies for the main portion of the game. It sends a mixed message.

What I suggest is that DLC trophies are either ignored when it comes to calculating average rarity or that it gets it's own counter.

The second case would be something like this:

Average rarity: x%

Average DLC rarity: x%

If someone think they got a better solution, without changing how rarity is currently calculated for DLCs, please provide it.

The Average DLC rarity, if we're doing it this way, could replace the redundant average rarity currently in the statistics page, since that is no longer needed.

Regardless of the fact the average DLC rarity will be way too high and totally wrong, it'd be nice to have it separate from the average rarity currently available.

I think average rarity should be calculated based on consistent data. Because of the way DLC owners are counted, I think it is wrong to mix that up with the average for trophies for the main portion of the game. It sends a mixed message.

What I suggest is that DLC trophies are either ignored when it comes to calculating average rarity or that it gets it's own counter.

The second case would be something like this:

Average rarity: x%

Average DLC rarity: x%

If someone think they got a better solution, without changing how rarity is currently calculated for DLCs, please provide it.

That's actually a good idea. I like it (insofar as I care about average rarity, which is very little).

There's already an almost identical thread so I'm just gonna copy what I posted there:

I like the intention of this feature but I think as it is right now, it is a bit useless.

Because even if someone solely plays insanely hard or rare games, the average rarity will never go really low, because most of the trophies are usually very common in all games, even tough games. Most of games only have 1-2, rarely 3-4 tough trophies. NGS2 is by no means an easy game, but it has like 30 uncommon and common trophies and 2 ultra rares, so it'll add an overall ~50% average to your total.

For example, look at this guy: https://psnprofiles.com/VlETNAM-

Or this: http://psnprofiles.c...otent_Delusions

Almost all of their games are extremely rare or hard, yet their average rarity is still over 20%. It's because almost all games, including hard games are full of easy trophies, except the last few of them.

My suggestion: change it to average rarity of your platted/completed games, not trophies. Simple example: profile with 2 games completed, The Walking Dead and Sine Mora. Average rarity: 52.82% + 00.06% / 2 = 26.44%

This would be a much more meaningful stat to see.

I dissagree.

It the game has dlc then it should be counted on your list.

Dont try to pretend its not there by having the site compisate for you not wanting to buy or play the game with related dlc just to make your rarity something else.

If you care so much about rarity and average % why dont you just get the trophies and stop having to worry about it? Unless the trophies are to hard for you to get and thats why they should be rare..

Edited by weeztha
  • Like 3

My suggestion: change it to average rarity of your platted/completed games, not trophies. Simple example: profile with 2 games completed, The Walking Dead and Sine Mora. Average rarity: 52.82% + 00.06% / 2 = 26.44%

This would be a much more meaningful stat to see.

This would have nothing to do with average rarity though. It would be average game completion %, how much would it differ from average completion %? I've now suggested a change to that, which this would have to apply to too.

If you care so much about rarity and average % why dont you just get the trophies and stop having to worry about it

Because...I don't think rarity should depend on whether or not I want to buy trophies at a premium? And make no mistake - for the vast, vast, VAST majority of DLC, the question is just about purchasing it.

That's only my opinion But "You're a cheap bastard" (which I am) doesn't seem like the best offense. And I'm not going to lie - seeing some dweeb who will buy DLC just to brag about his rarity sticks in my craw, insofar as anything trophy-related sticks in my craw. And that's what I REALLY care about. I don't care if my personal average rarity is high or low, but I do like individual trophy rarity.

If they want to do this based solely on the number of people who have acquired the trophy, that would be fine,

Edited by starcrunch061

Because...I don't think rarity should depend on whether or not I want to buy trophies at a premium? And make no mistake - for the vast, vast, VAST majority of DLC, the question is just about purchasing it.

That's only my opinion But "You're a cheap bastard" (which I am) doesn't seem like the best offense. And I'm not going to lie - seeing some dweeb who will buy DLC just to brag about his rarity sticks in my craw, insofar as anything trophy-related sticks in my craw.

LoL I hear you, Im pretty damn cheap myself but I do choose to buy all dlc's for my games. If I didnt want to buy dlc's for a game than Id probably just skip that game overall

1) Let the completion rate as it is but then change the DLC rarity counting back or

2) Change the completion rate to correspond with current DLC rarity counting

In both cases do not include DLC into average rarity.

I would prefer the first option but I think that either option is better than the current combination of both approaches. 

Edited by voleman79

I dissagree.

It the game has dlc then it should be counted on your list.

Dont try to pretend its not there by having the site compisate for you not wanting to buy or play the game with related dlc just to make your rarity something else.

If you care so much about rarity and average % why dont you just get the trophies and stop having to worry about it? Unless the trophies are to hard for you to get and thats why they should be rare..

Are you disagreeing with me? I'm not pretending DLC trophies don't exist etc. Instead of trying to make a straw man out of me, read what my goal with this was in the opening post, that is if you are talking to me.

I'm suggesting this, because it does give a very inaccurate number, so either we try to be consistent (two counters) or we ignore the bad data (only base it on main game's trophy rarity ratings).

Edited by MMDE

Are you disagreeing with me? I'm not pretending DLC trophies don't exist etc. Instead of trying to make a straw man out of me, read what my goal with this was in the opening post, that is if you are talking to me.

I'm suggesting this, because it does give a very inaccurate number, so either we try to be consistent (two counters) or we ignore the bad data (only base it on main game's trophy rarity ratings).

Ya I do dissagree with you cause I think dlc should always be counted into all of your stats but like Zong said

This is about the way I think it should be done

Ya I do dissagree with you cause I think dlc should always be counted into all of your stats but like Zong said

No, you didn't disagree with me in your post. You made a straw man, claimed I said things I didn't say, and disagreed with that.

In this comment you actually disagreed with me though, but you gave absolutely no reason for it. It's also rather irrelevant to the point of this thread, because the site already calculate it based on what content you own and not based on owners of the game. With the current system, I want to improve the current average rarity. This is mostly to make people who go for 100% completion to have a more accurate representation of their average rarity %, because this seems to bother them. I think a lot of the people in this thread who are against what I'm going for here is fighting against a suggestion made to make them more happy. lol

This is about the way I think it should be done

That's a completely useless stat, it would be almost the same as completion %. We're not talking about that here...