"Cutting Edge" Trophy

Cutting Edge
Clear Episode One only using the knife.

Any tips for this trophy?
I've tried twice to get this trophy but it didn't pop for me.

The first attempt I made sure that I killed all monsters using knife only but still didn't get it.
The second attempt I played with my brother and he only followed me without doing anything to the monsters while I kept killing them with the knife and still didn't get it.

Is this trophy glitched somehow?!

For the Cutting Edge trophy, you must finish episode 1 using only the Knife if Claire and Barry.

After 3 attempts, i finally decided to do the most, and i got it.

It means no Stealth Kill, no counter, no follow up,no light and bricks.

What i did in flamethrower challenges one, was actually easier than it may sound. Leave Moira inside the room unlocking the door, and stay outside of the room if Claire, only knifing, be careful through, after a enemies stuns, it will automatically appear the R2 for counter, avoid at all costs. it also helps if you didn't get the no fire trophy.

Hope it helps

Edited by Mah2c
  • Like 1

For the Cutting Edge trophy, you must finish episode 1 using only the Knife if Claire and Barry.

After 3 attempts, i finally decided to do the most, and i got it.

It means no Stealth Kill, no counter, no follow up,no light and bricks.

What i did in flamethrower challenges one, was actually easier than it may sound. Leave Moira inside the room unlocking the door, and stay outside of the room if Claire, only knifing, be careful through, after a enemies stuns, it will automatically appear the R2 for counter, avoid at all costs. it also helps if you didn't get the no fire trophy.

Hope it helps

Got it just now.

The weird thing is that this time i'm pretty sure that Moira did stun an enemy but to my surprise the trophy suddenly popped at the rating screen!  Weird!

Thanks for the tip Mah2c ^_^

• Like 1

I think Moira did stun an enemy when i obtained the trophy as well. On the last part of Claire campaign, i gave Moira the orders to stay inside the small room and while controlling, Claire i lured the enemies to the big area of the prison until Moira job was done. I think i didn't kill any enemy while attempting the knife only run.

I tried this and wasn't successful since I did stealth  kills. Which seems like a silly rule, seeing as you how you use your knife to kill the enemies.

My questions are:

• Your partner can't even USE the crowbar/light/brick even if it doesn't kill the enemy? My understanding was that as long as you landed the killing blow that's all that counted?
  • I'm assuming this also means that the spinning blades and flamethrower are off the table for killing monsters? I avoided them on my first attempt but just want to double check. If an enemy did run into a spinning blade, I reset to attempt it again.. and I didn't even turn on the flamethrower.
  • If you switch characters to briefly scan for objects, does the negate it as well? Not sure if this counts as "using the flashlight". I've also noticed that if you do switch, Claire/Barry usually reload/take out their gun. Would that count as well, even if you don't fire it? 
Edited by UberniXi

I tried this and wasn't successful since I did stealth  kills. Which seems like a silly rule, seeing as you how you use your knife to kill the enemies.

My questions are:

• Your partner can't even USE the crowbar/light/brick even if it doesn't kill the enemy? My understanding was that as long as you landed the killing blow that's all that counted?
  • I'm assuming this also means that the spinning blades and flamethrower are off the table for killing monsters? I avoided them on my first attempt but just want to double check. If an enemy did run into a spinning blade, I reset to attempt it again.. and I didn't even turn on the flamethrower.
  • If you switch characters to briefly scan for objects, does the negate it as well? Not sure if this counts as "using the flashlight". I've also noticed that if you do switch, Claire/Barry usually reload/take out their gun. Would that count as well, even if you don't fire it? 

Your partner can never use any of those. However i'm not %100 sure, but i think Moira stun an enemy and i still got the trophy. While controlling Moira you can light the objects but cannot light the enemies, otherwise the trophy will not unlock. Also never EVER press R2 while controlling Moira or the trophy will not unlock. Pressing R2 while controlling, Natalia to unlock a door is ok.

The spinning blades & flamethrower kill won't lock the trophy.

Using the flashing to find objects will not lock the trophy. To avoid having the trophy locked because either Claire or Barry shoot an enemy. Just deposit all of their weapons on a workbench.

Do you know what you did differently for it to have popped? I can't seem to get this trophy...

Sakura, is just like I mentioned in the first post. You can't use anything besides the knife on the playable characters, hence Claire and Barry. It means you can't use crowbar, bricks, stealth kills, counters and light. Don't use Moira to scan for itens, it's only one playthrough.

For the last part lure the enemies outside the room and leave Moira there doing her job. Just be careful because while kniffing you may stun the enemy and R2 will prompt, if performed it will lock the trophy.

Edited by Mah2c

There's a Cutting Edge video of someone going through and doing Stealth Attacks with Barry and he still obtains the record for Cutting Edge at the end of the Chapter.

- Video in question.

So I just obtained it on my second time. I only did two things differently this time. First off, I only killed maybe 3 or 4 Rotten in the beginning area but I did so slowly. One swipe at a time so I wouldn't get a melee follow up attack. I did however do two stealth kills so those are absolutely fine. Second is after you have to move the large crate to climb up I controlled Natalia for the rest of section outside of having to open the door near the first Revenant. Last time I did it she conked a Revenant near the Sub weapon tutorial part and stunned it so I didn't want her picking up any bricks at all.

I doubt Natalia stunning an enemy voided it so it had to be the Barry follow up as it will definitely one hit a Rotten on Casual.

Edited by Yadilie

Actually, it looks like this trophy is being glitchy on PS3, at least that's what i read on .org.

I've played multiple times using only the knife, i tried splitscreen, playing only as Moira/Natalia and only as Claire/Barry but no luck, i deleted my saves and it didn't pop, right now i'm re-installing the game and i'll delete my saves again (i made a backup) hopefully this time it'll pop... 

Edit: Just got it! I picked "Quit" instead of "Next" when i finished Claire's chapter, then started Barry's from the Main Menu, thanks to Spedah on PSN.  :yay:

Edited by Sakura

Edit: Just got it! I picked "Quit" instead of "Next" when i finished Claire's chapter, then started Barry's from the Main Menu, thanks to Spedah on PSN.  :yay:

Good job. It's dumb how this should really be an easy trophy yet there's both technical and just bad design issues slowing people down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming that this won't be a problem because what I noticed on my countdown playthrough was that I can actually run past nearly every single enemy and as long as you go through an area door, they can't get you (This also makes the episode very short, countdown took me 20 minutes).

The only unavoidable fight I can think of is the flamethrower room. Does anyone know for certain that if I was playing with someone else, can they at least stun the enemy with Moira's flashlight or can they do absolutely nothing? Would a real player make it easier or harder?

Your partner can never use any of those. However i'm not %100 sure, but i think Moira stun an enemy and i still got the trophy. While controlling Moira you can light the objects but cannot light the enemies, otherwise the trophy will not unlock. Also never EVER press R2 while controlling Moira or the trophy will not unlock. Pressing R2 while controlling, Natalia to unlock a door is ok.

The spinning blades & flamethrower kill won't lock the trophy.

Using the flashing to find objects will not lock the trophy. To avoid having the trophy locked because either Claire or Barry shoot an enemy. Just deposit all of their weapons on a workbench.

These are great tips. Thank you. I'm surprised you're able to use the blades and flamethrower. Interesting set of "rules" for this trophy. Going to try this again soon as soon as I've finished playing Episode 3! I've upgraded my knife and know the first chapter like the back of my hand, so I think that will help.