Really Overrated platinum Imo.

TakeaShower__

Please realize i am not making this statement simply to go against popular opinion, neither am i a god at racing sims. It's just that i have read on plenty of sites that this game is infamous for being a somewhat 'prestigious' game to platinum and frankly i agree when it comes down to beating the redbull event (Especially Suzuka) but otherwise i found this game to just be a very long grind rather than presenting any serious challenge.

Now the GT-R record is fairly demanding for anyone who does not know the layout of Nurburg but after a warm up lap i managed to clear this time by over a second. To be clear i have played every other entry of the GT francise and i was pretty familiar with course layout and it certainly helps with how easy the GT-R is to drive because I don't actually own a wheel either.

Special events in AMG and Grand Tour were the only other time trials/races that were really asking of the player. The early Beginner event in the rain on one particular section was much more demanding in knowlage of the cars handling and track layout than performing a full lap in Advanced imo. Within the Grand Tour the only event that required some higher skill lvl was the A-B Night race and i overcame this without any real issues with persistence.

The big kicker for this game in terms of difficulty is Redbull event. Honestly im not sure i would have beaten the Gold time on Suzuka without performing that glitch. But why did i glitch this event though? I wanted the bucket load of xp (Million + if i remember) and this was before the 2.0 patch i think. The other reason was i never thought i would ever get the platinum as there was no way i could keep my PS3 on for 24hrs. The thing is of course after hearing about the suspension update i actually did Lemans 24hr in A-spec in about 5 days (Way to spend some summer time right?) and after that commitment i was sure i could beat the Short Nurburg ring with the sensitivity update. After about 4-6 hours of trying i finally beat Gold by about .021 and it was the most rewarding feeling i had ever experienced in a game.

The key reason i feel this is overrated is that due to the physics of the x2010 you can glitch through the wall in all 3 events and gold the events easily pre-patch. That actually really dissapoints me because i lack the enthusiasm to want to attempt Suzuka legitimately and i don't think i want to buy a wheel to find out as i already have the 2010 prototype.

So what do you think about this platinum? Outside of the huge xp grind for B-spec i really enjoyed it :)

• Like 4

The key reason i feel this is overrated is that due to the physics of the x2010 you can glitch through the wall in all 3 events and gold the events easily pre-patch. That actually really dissapoints me because i lack the enthusiasm to want to attempt Suzuka legitimately and i don't think i want to buy a wheel to find out as i already have the 2010 prototype.

I saw this as motivation more than anything.  The fact that people had resorted to driving through walls to finish these challenges made me want to do them even more.

Yes, the countless hours of B-spec grinding were almost enough to almost kill my PS3, and sure, using a wheel probably would have been easier than an old sixaxis controller, but the satisfaction I got from completing that game was anything but over-rated for me.  Personally, this was one of my all-time favourite platinums.  I don't think I've ever been more satisfied or content by hearing those final two *dings* ... well, RB2 comes close but that's a whole new story.

This plat was somewhat easy, it just took loads of time of practice to get some of the timed events perfect. AMG series was a little frustrating, nothing that wasnt done within a weekend, the Alfa Romeo challenge was honestly harder than any of the Red Bull challenges >_<

But just because its hard doesnt make it overrated. I found this to be a really fun plat, it was actually somewhat a challenge overall, which made it playable until the end. Yes, for some people this was impossible, but that doesn't mean they didn't have any fun striving for that hard plat.

• Like 1

Fun fact, everyone is different. Just because it was easier for you than it has been/is for others, doesn't make it easy or overrated, it just means that it was easier for you than it was for others. Everyone has games like this.

For example, Zone of the Enders HD was painfully easy for me to plat, and took almost no effort on my part, but there are some people that find it too hard. Some games are just like that.

Fun fact, he clearly stated that this was an overrated plat in his opinion.

I haven't done this one myself, but I think grindy games are commendable in a way. They still take plenty of determination to do. Though, I'll always pick a tougher plat over a grindy one. :P

• Like 1

It's not overrated to me. It is definitely my most proudest platinum. And I have rarer and tougher platinum's that some would consider to be more impressive than GT5 by the sounds of your thread topic. And I'm not one of the types of ppl who try to inflate their ego by saying a tough platinum was easy.

I haven't done this one myself, but I think grindy games are commendable in a way. They still take plenty of determination to do. Though, I'll always pick a tougher plat over a grindy one. :P

That's not a fun fact, because nowhere does he say that. The only time he said the word opinion, is when he said that he's not posting this go against popular opinion. Nice try though kid. Maybe next time actually read the post, instead of focus on trying to prove other people wrong on what amounts to simply be a technicality. ;D

That's not a fun fact, because nowhere does he say that. The only time he said the word opinion, is when he said that he's not posting this go against popular opinion. Nice try though kid. Maybe next time actually read the post, instead of focus on trying to prove other people wrong on what amounts to simply be a technicality. ;D

He used the glitch, which is obviously much easier to do.  Of course things would be a little overrated in that case lol

It's both.

10/10 skill

10/10 grind

Yes, anything can be overrated, if a person uses scrub tactics because he/she isn't good enough to do the goal.  So yes, it's overrated because folks scrubbed their way throughout that platinum, but it's fairly difficult, if you don't glitch...

There is a big difference between a hard game and a hard-without-exploit-because-i-don't-agree-with-them game. The Binding of Isaac should have been hard as hell, but it's extremely exploitable and no way in hell it can be over 4/10 because of that sole reason. Same goes for any game, you can blindfold yourself and play on the hardest difficulty with mute sound if you want, but the game won't be any harder overall just because you want to punish yourself somehow.

I have 2 clear examples of this over Dead Space 3 Platinum Difficulty Rating (all over the place, almost a discussion about trophies ethics) and Grid 2 Platinum DIfficulty Rating (read from Photos Torpedo post beyond. It should be page 3 if your post count is set to default) threads.

He used the glitch, which is obviously much easier to do.  Of course things would be a little overrated in that case lol

My point exactly. Without outside means such as hacking or whatever the game is still seen as difficult by many people with these exploits. Personally i found Suzuka by far the hardest event in any GT game, i was unable to get within 0.9 of Gold with my DS3 after plenty of hours attempting to sowe both laps together. I actually never knew about the other two glitches until i had platinumed the game and i honestly think i may have done the same on Nurburg too.

There is a big difference between a hard game and a hard-without-exploit-because-i-don't-agree-with-them game. The Binding of Isaac should have been hard as hell, but it's extremely exploitable and no way in hell it can be over 4/10 because of that sole reason. Same goes for any game, you can blindfold yourself and play on the hardest difficulty with mute sound if you want, but the game won't be any harder overall just because you want to punish yourself somehow.

I have 2 clear examples of this over Dead Space 3 Platinum Difficulty Rating (all over the place, almost a discussion about trophies ethics) and Grid 2 Platinum DIfficulty Rating (read from Photos Torpedo post beyond. It should be page 3 if your post count is set to default) threads.

Not really....

My point exactly. Without outside means such as hacking or whatever the game is still seen as difficult by many people with these exploits. Personally i found Suzuka by far the hardest event in any GT game, i was unable to get within 0.9 of Gold with my DS3 after plenty of hours attempting to sowe both laps together. I actually never knew about the other two glitches until i had platinumed the game and i honestly think i may have done the same on Nurburg too.

This can be said about almost any game though.  Folks say a lot of games are easy, but they use scrub tactics.  Well of course the game is easier that way.....

Not really....

This can be said about almost any game though.  Folks say a lot of games are easy, but they use scrub tactics.  Well of course the game is easier that way.....

Im not trying to justify glitching but frankly it doesn't bother me as i got the experience i wanted out of the game anyway. It's almost lile saying people that gave in and bought a wheel simply for this event wanted an easier challenge than using their DS3. Even though 0.9 makes a big differnce to 600 hours i would still say the games platinums overrated as its certainly possible with enough persistence. I did already mention why i glitched and unfortunately i didn't have enough storage space for a wheel and pedals at the time. A wheel would obviously count as legit but either way i still feel GT5 is not the god tier platinum people make it out to be.

• Like 1

Im not trying to justify glitching but frankly it doesn't bother me as i got the experience i wanted out of the game anyway. It's almost lile saying people that gave in and bought a wheel simply for this event wanted an easier challenge than using their DS3. Even though 0.9 makes a big differnce to 600 hours i would still say the games platinums overrated as its certainly possible with enough persistence. I did already mention why i glitched and unfortunately i didn't have enough storage space for a wheel and pedals at the time. A wheel would obviously count as legit but either way i still feel GT5 is not the god tier platinum people make it out to be.

I still had not stumbled across a game that is as hard as people make it out to be. Most of the times there is more bullshit into a game than there is a challenge and a lot of people can't be arsed about bullshit, so they simply do not progress the game any further because they don't feel like it. I believe it's very understandable, not everyone is an afficionado.

I didn't say you were trying to justify anything.  I did the plat with a regular DS3.  It just takes a grind and some determination to do it.  That's all.  The wheel certainly does make a difference, but it's not like you'll instantly get better with the wheel.  That's like saying folks will get better in fighting games, if they get an arcade stick.  It's completely inaccurate.  It takes time to get used to peripherals, if you haven't played with them  If GT5 wasn't as hard, then you wouldn't have glitched....  That's equivalent of folks that say sports games are easy because they changed settings.  That's my take on things.  If stuff wasn't that hard, then why glitch?

I still had not stumbled across a game that is as hard as people make it out to be. Most of the times there is more bullshit into a game than there is a challenge and a lot of people can't be arsed about bullshit, so they simply do not progress the game any further because they don't feel like it. I believe it's very understandable, not everyone is an afficionado.

Play Green Day Rock Band.....  The last few challenges even took someone of my skill several tries to do them.  There's no BS in it either.  You just have to get the rhythm down.  I play games just to play them, not because of some pleasure, as you indicate. 

Edited by grimydawg

Play Green Day Rock Band.....  The last few challenges even took someone of my skill several tries to do them.  There's no BS in it either.  You just have to get the rhythm down.  I play games just to play them, not because of some pleasure, as you indicate. 

Say again, where did I indicate any pleasure?

I'm yet to try more Guitar Hero / Rockband games on my account, but in that case, my #1 priority would be to unhide my GH5 game and plat it, but to do so, would require me to buy each and every instrument what I, at the moment, cannot afford with the stupidly high prices we have here on Brazil.

• Like 1

Well as mentioned i never thought i would have the option to platinum the game as it required 24hrs running time to complete two seperate events. The reason i refused to do that was because of my previous experience with YLOD and didn't intend to get a PS Plus subscription at the time. It would take hours to get back into the x2010 anyway and i don't have anything to prove in terms of my own skill for the zero people that care.

I feel that the reason i think this game is overrated is because for about 80% of the events i was playing didn't seem like i had to necessarily 'work' in a way to overcome a particular event. Sure it could be said not every part of the game was designed to test the player but compared to some games it's frankly easier. Beatles Rock band is a good example but the argument could be made that it's prefernce to the type of game your playing, yet i never hear people going on about the Beatles like they do about GT5.

Well as mentioned i never thought i would have the option to platinum the game as it required 24hrs running time to complete two seperate events. The reason i refused to do that was because of my previous experience with YLOD and didn't intend to get a PS Plus subscription at the time. It would take hours to get back into the x2010 anyway and i don't have anything to prove in terms of my own skill for the zero people that care.

I feel that the reason i think this game is overrated is because for about 80% of the events i was playing didn't seem like i had to necessarily 'work' in a way to overcome a particular event. Sure it could be said not every part of the game was designed to test the player but compared to some games it's frankly easier. Beatles Rock band is a good example but the argument could be made that it's prefernce to the type of game your playing, yet i never hear people going on about the Beatles like they do about GT5.

That was the reason I waited to grind...  However, GT5 patched it to where you could race and save your progress, if you needed a break. You can say that about a lot of games.  Certain games are overrated because all but a trophy or two is hard, yet that particular trophy is the very reason why people don't have platinum.  Difficulty is subjective.  It's one thing that a game is easier for one than it is for others.  Everyone is different, but to glitch a say a game is overrated is another and that's what you are doing....

Personally, this game was ridiculously hard.  I played all 4 prior GT games, and got 100% in each one.  I loved those games.  This game pissed me off.  I played it well after its release and I own the XL edition, so I was not 'rewarded' with glitches and simpler tracks that were updated to make certain challenges legit and others much harder.  I couldn't have removed patches even if I wanted to as the game disc was something like patch 1.10.  I also don't own a wheel, never a problem on previous GT games, but practically a necessity on this game.  I can't even recall how many hours, days, and weeks I spent on the Vettel challenge alone.  I was getting headaches and pulling my hair out.  Knowing what I know now, I would never have even started this game, let alone platinum it.

Now while the OP said he doesn't own a wheel, I don't know if he took advantage of the game pre-patches.  I watched videos of challenges before they were made harder, and by the time I completed them with a Gold rating, I would have beat the original version by 3-4 seconds.  Also, I saw videos of people who glitched other trophies and they got through them with 30+ seconds to spare, doesn't sound too hard.  But for those who played legit, with a DS3 and not a wheel, this game was hard.  I definitely agree it was incredibly grindy as well, but Golding everything was still one of the most difficult things I've ever done in a video game.  The .9% Platinum ratio is justified on this one.

With all that said, I'm looking to play GT6 at some point as that trophy list looks like a cakewalk compared to this one.  I think Polyphony got the message after GT5 and made the trophy list for 6 more bearable.

• Like 1

Well i bugged through the barrier near the end of the straight. I think that i did that back in March 2011, pretty sure it was well before 2.0 and possibly the patch that included the sesnitivity update but im not sure. Im sure that if i could do Nurb i could of done Suzuka however i couldn't really undo that event without deleating everything, so my best time on it will always be something daft. Sadly i sense many people have bugged and even used Cash exploits in order to help them along (I know it only helps the grind by litterally nothing) I found this game tough but far from impossible, to be fair though i haven't had another game give me the challenge of the redbull events. It's all down to personal prefernce like anything, i think i would struggle to platinum some of the harder 2D fighters since im not very good at them at all. 

Reason this topic came about was that i was surprised how it was 0.92 and not lower (Yes not everybody here goes for the plat and its not representative of how difficult a game is but gives you a very vauge idea) and was discussing with friends why people found it to be hell to try and platinum.

Let's say a certain platinum is almost impossible to obtain without a guide, but with a guide the platinum is super easy. How hard is the platinum? If someone decides not to use a guide, is the platinum harder to obtain, and I don't mean for them, but for anyone to obtain it? They could make it easier by just using a guide, so the platinum is easier to obtain than they make it for themselves.

Just replace the word guide with an exploit.

Spelunker HD DLCs... they would have been 10/10 had it not been for a multiplayer exploit, though even then it's like 6-7/10. Is the game 6-7/10 or 10/10? So what if someone did it legit, that doesn't make the platinum more than 6-7/10, they just didn't make it as easy as it could have been for them. If the exploits weren't known or didn't exist, it would have been a much harder game, but they do exist and are known, so it's not 10/10, because you can take advantage of the exploits making it 6-7/10 instead.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2