Games you bought on a whim and ended up loving?

Nihiris-

A friend and I got to talking about some of our favorite games that started with us buying them without any research at all, just thought the back of the box looked neat and decided to give it a go. 

So were there any impulse buys that you ended up enjoying a lot more than you thought you would?

------------------

For me the first game that comes to mind is Golden Sun for GBA and it's still to this day, one of my favorite JRPGs of all time.

I've had this happen with lots of games. Mainly because I never did any research in the PS2 era. I would just go to GameStop, and pick up whatever looked cool. I got games like: Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, FFX, Rogue Galaxy, Destroy All Humans, and a few others.

It hasn't happened as much in the PS3 era, because you basically need to look into a game before buying it. Especially with all the shitty games hiding behind pretty trailers. But there are a couple of games I bought with no knowledge, except for a friends' recommendation. Dragon's Dogma and Resident Evil: Revelations are the 2 big ones.

• Like 3

Well I didn't precisely bought it but in my case is Kingdom Hearts, I lend DBZ Budokai to a friend like 11 years ago and in return he said to me that he would let me borrow whatever game I wanted from his collection, but since I didn't want an specific game I picked a random one that had a cool cover, and 11 years later that cool cover game is one of my all time favorites.

Edited by edu_gamer
  • Like 1

Tales of Symphonia back on the gamecube. It looked kinda neat and I had some spare cash. Ended up being one of my favorite RPG's to this day. 

When Fire Emblem on the GBA first came out, I had no idea what it was. Parents ended up randomly getting it for me for Christmas I think and I ended up being hooked on the series ever since. Figure that's close enough to count. :P

• Like 2

It hasn't happened in a very long time for me, because I was tired of being disappointed and always do at least a little bit of research. So, it's mostly older games.

• Guilty Gear XX
  • Inuyasha A Feudal Fairy Tale
  • Eternal Sonata
  • Trinity Universe
  • Folklore
  • Radiata Stories
  • Star Ocean Till The End of Time
  • Persona 3
  • Resident Evil Revelations
  • Crisis Core
  • The 3rd Birthday
  • Legacy of Goku
  • Phantasy Star Online Ep. I & II
  • Custom Robo
  • Mega Man Battle Network
  • Mega Man ZX
  • The World Ends With You
  • Bleach Blade of Fate
  • Parasite Eve
  • .hack//Infection
  • Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Gundemonium Recollection
  • GundeadliGne
  • Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero?
  • Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
  • Jet Set Radio Future
  • Naruto Rise of a Ninja
  • Triggerheart Exelica
  • Twinkle Star Sprites
  • Ys Origin

Uncharted Drakes fortune is the first I can think of - Only bought it as it was one of the free choice of games I got with my PS3. 

I don't like sport games or racing games much and already had Devil may cry 4 and The darkness purchased so I thought a third person action game would make a nice change from an FPS and Hack and slash.

One of the best purchases I made last gen.

ARKEDO SERIES 01 - JUMP! - Was looking for a platforming game and this was ridiculously cheap. Didn't expect much due to the low price. Really enjoyed it.

Assassin's Creed 2 - My brother took me to the game store a few months ago, and there was a sale on (3 for 2) and he said he'll buy me 3 because of a sale. There weren't any games there I overly wanted to be honest, apart from Prince of Persia, so I got this and I ended up loving it... apart from those damn feathers.

Beyond Good & Evil HD - I bought this on a sale for the easy trophy list ( :blush: That was a dark time, I'm over it now) and I loved every single minute of it. I crave the day that a sequel will be announced, this was brilliance.

Darksiders - So there was another sale, in which this game and Okami stood out to me. I knew nothing about the games (I know, I know. Okami is the best game ever and everyone knows about it or something like that) other than the fact they were Zelda clones. And, enjoying Zelda games, I bought them without knowing anything else. Loved Darksiders... But the same can't be said about Okami, to be honest.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - One of the 3 games my brother got me. Also one I knew nothing about other than it had Uncharted-style platforming sequences.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMix - Oh man this collection. So good. All I knew was that this game combined FF and Disney and was an RPG... I was reluctant at first, but my brother had a GAME code he didn't want or need so he gave it to me and it had just enough money to get this and I figured "fuck it" and bought it. No regrets. 2.5 on the other hand...

SONIC UNLEASHED - This is an underrated gem in my eyes. I loved almost every minute of this platinum. The perfect level of difficulty to feel rewarding but not bullshit, great gameplay (yes, even at night) and likeable characters. Thoroughly enjoyed this and I'm glad I bought it when it was on sale as an impulse buy.

The Walking Dead Series 1 - I was reluctant at first due to the lack of gameplay offered in Telltale games, but this was on sale and I decided it best to try at least one Telltale game. Brilliant story and I look forward to Series 2 whenever that's next on sale.

Looking at this list, I realize the sales offered on the PS Store are too good. Please Sony, give them a break, my money needs a rest xD

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 2

Tales of Symphonia back on the gamecube. It looked kinda neat and I had some spare cash. Ended up being one of my favorite RPG's to this day.

^^ this ^^

I still remember buying ToS and another game (I forget which one.) I remember playing ToS and not liking it. I put the game in a week after and couldnt put it down. On my GCN memory card I still have over 600+ hours in it, oh the memories.

Disgaea Hour of Darkness- Hadn't heard anything about this game before seeing it for cheap at a local game store. What a great decision it was doods. I was introduced to the greatest creatures ever known as prinnies, ended it being one of my favorite series, and one of the main reasons why strategy/tactical rpgs are my favorite genre

Resonance of Fate- Was checking out the $20 and under section on Gamestop's site when I happened upon Resonance of Fate. Never heard of it before but saw it was developed by tri-Ace (developer of the awesome Star Ocean series) so took a shot and bought it for that reason. This ended up being one of my favorite and most unique rpg I have played. Some of you have probably seen me rave about this game from time to time on here

Edited by Wdjat Prinny Doods
  • Like 1

WET

Motorstorm Pacific Rift

The Darkness II

Split/second

Hyperdimension Neptunia: Victory

Dynasty Warriors 6: empires

Mass effect 2

I'm sure there are more. I like to buy games on a whim, i love going through stores and just buying whatever seems interesting. Not based on review, or trailers or annything else. Sadly those days are coming to an end, because of you know internet...