Games you bought on a whim and ended up loving?

Nihiris-

puppeteer. i bought it on a psn sale a while ago despite knowing nothing about it and it turned out to be one of the most fun games i played on ps3

I agree, in my opinion it's one of the best PS3 exclusives. Definitely in the top 5.

- Final Fantasy IX

- Shadows of The Damned

- Lollipop Chainsaw

- Super Motherload

- Blitz: The League

- SpinJam

- Snake's Revenge

- Army Men: Sarge's War

- Alien: Isolation

- Ghostbusters: The Video Game (games based off of movies are almost always shit, but this one was really good.)

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified    - Yeah, I know you didn't.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare     - If I had a super powerful connection or maybe there servers were better or something, I would still play it. That's also how I felt about...

Defiance

Terraria

Legends of War: Patton

Alpha Protocol

Bionic Commando Rearmed     - I mean, I rented Bionic Commando for the NES a lot back in the day, but rearmed was more or less a blind buy

DOOM, Quake, and WarCraft: Orcs and Humans also just kind of fell into my lap without planning, but I didn't actually 'buy' them, myself.

The Saboteur.  I research all games I buy before buying, and even if I borrow one from a friend, I still look into it first.  The one exception was The Saboteur.  I was actually researching a different game when I stumbled onto someone recommending it.  A dozen people afterward posted the same thing, that it was a highly underrated game, it was fantastic, it was like GTA in Nazi-occupied France, and that was it.  That was all I knew about it.  I hadn't seen any gameplay video, I hadn't checked the achievement list (I bought it on 360 originally, then borrowed the PS3 version from a coworker a while later), I didn't even know who the main character was until I started the game.  But man, it was, and still is, one of my favorite games of all time.  I only wish Pandemic hadn't closed down so we could get a sequel...

• Like 1

Hyperdimension Neptunia. I bought it because it was my final resort since I was actually going to quit video gaming because I got so burned out by shooting games and fighting games. The reason why I bought it is because for three straight weeks the game was in every video game section or store I went to. After playing the game I went out and bought other games to see if I love them as well, like God of War, Killzone, Final Fantasy and I love them now.

Banjo-Kazooie(N64), Luminous Arc(DS), Rune Factory(DS), Wild Arms XF(PSP), and Xenosaga(PS2).

I think Banjo-Kazooie was my second game on the N64. I was a kid and I picked it because it looks fun. I had no idea what it was about. I'm glad I picked it. I love it, it's a classic. 

Luminous Arc, a tactical rpg, is one of my favorite game series on the DS. The DS had an amazing amount of RPGs. I was really sad when Luminous Arc 3 was never released in the West but hopefully Luminous Arc Infinite will be released in the west. 

I never played a Harvest Moon type game until Rune Factory. I got addicted to the farming, monster fighting, and sim elements, but I haven't played the latest one on the 3DS yet.. 

I enjoyed Wild Arms XF, another tactical rpg, even though the previous entries never grabbed my interest. Since the Wild Arms IP is owned by Sony I hope they make another game for the Vita. 

Xenosaga became one of my favorite series of all time. I was really disappointed when they announced that they were ending it at III instead of the 6 they were planning  :(  It made Monolith Soft one of my favorite developers and went back to play Xenogears. In my mind I see Xenoblade as a spiritual Xenosaga IV since Monolith Soft is owned by Nintendo and the Xenosaga IP is own by Bandai Namco (or whatever they call themself now).

Too many to name, but I have what I like to call "Dark Horse" games. These are games that I either was convinced to buy through a YouTube video or a magazine article. After getting them, I ended up falling in love with them:

Street Fighter 4

Fallout 3

Deus Ex: Human Revolution 

Disgaea 3 and 4

Sleeping Dogs

Mine is

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom

I had heard little of it and seen it very cheap so I decided why not

Child of Light

Not a fan of RPG games but this really caught me by surprise. I really got addicted to it.

Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands

It was on sale for 5 dollars on ps store in 2013 and decided to give it a shot. Glad I did.

God of War I and II (PS3)

When I got my PS3 I knew nothing of the GOW games. After having my PS3 a few months I started seeing the HD collection and was hearing some good things about it. Glad I got it and the GOW games is now one of my favorite franchises.

I buy a lot of games on a whim. I'm insanely easy to please and have not regretted a single buy yet. Out of them all, though, Saints Row The Third. I've always avoided such games. I hate cars and gangs and all that. I was actually going to get Grand Theft Auto, to break myself out of my comfort zone, when my brother handed me Saints Row The Third, telling me he enjoyed it more than Grand Theft Auto because of the silliness in it. So that got me curious. Needless did I know how happy I'd be with it. I've even grown to adore having a garage full of different colored cars to suit my current fancy. Including a pink police car. Because I had to. I love driving around with blades in my tires, popping everyone's tires, than braking to watch the chaos~

• Like 2

I usually look into games before purchasing now a days due to time constraints and budget.  I want to make sure I'm getting something worth my time and effort.  Two games that do come to mind over the last couple years were Darksiders and Prince of Persia (reboot).  I had heard Darksiders was the closest thing to Zelda on the PS3.  Got it and loved it.  POP didn't have very good reviews, but I picked it up for $1.99 at GameStop.  Have to say it was two dollars well spent.

Back in the day, I would have to say Zelda: Link to the Past was the most epic game that I ever randomly picked up.  I had the choice of getting an SNES with the Mario All-Stars package or Zelda.  All of my friends had Mario games so I figured I could just borrow theirs and try this new game with a Shield and Sword on the cover.  Favorite game of all time.  I also picked up Pokemon Red on a whim when Pokemon first came out.  Probably the most fun I ever had on my GameBoy.

Edited by JaneAusten69

Not much... that I can remember.  Pretty much from the PS2 era on, every game I buy is intensely researched beforehand.  Before that I was young enough that I didn't really have the excess cash to spend on hobbies.  "Buying on a whim" to me these days, means buying a game I know a lot about but never really seemed worth the money... but I'm bored so why not.  So not a ton of surprise there.

It was a few years ago (on a different account) but I guess Sleeping Dogs might qualify.  Deep down I knew I would like it, I hadn't researched it too intensely but I was aware of the game... and I didn't want to spend $60 on it.  Then my girlfriend at the time broke up with me and I desperately needed a pick me up lol... so I went and got it anyways.  One of my favorite games last gen.  

Edited by Dreakon13

i pick my games very carefully before i play them but only two stand out from my entire list. these two games i played them as good games and ended up loving them from the bottom of  my heart. Dead Space 2 and Castlevania Lords of shadow. Epic Games and one of the reasons i will always keep on playing, hoping that one day another game makes such an impact on me  :wub:  :wub:

The one that really jumps out at me in this category was the original Dragon Warrior. I got it when i signed up for Nintendo power in the mid 80s, yeah I'm that old. This lead to DW2&3, and Final Fantasy and I've loves RPGs ever since, although lately I've been much more into the action side of that genre. A lot of the games I purchased back then were completely random. Played some really stinkers but Blaster Master, Bionic Commando and many others were very pleasant surprises.

Lately I do a lot more research but I've been playing a lot of ps+ titles or games on sale, that I wouldn't have necessarily paid for on my own. Braid is one of the most notable of these, I heard it was good but didn't look it up at all before starting. I also just grabbed Dead Space 2 during a big gamestop sale. I knew what it was but hadn't really looked into the series, and it's probably my favorite ps3 title.