Games you bought on a whim and ended up loving?

Nihiris-

I've had this happen with lots of games. Mainly because I never did any research in the PS2 era.

same here.

But the one that I remember most fondly was back when my gamecube was my only system.

I just one day, honest-to-god totally out of nowhere had this major Sonic itch. So I went to the store, and bought nearly the entire Sonic library for the gamecube, all but two of them (the Adventure games) I haven't even touched.

Most of them were fun enough, but it was then that I found what is probably my favorite Sonic Team game.

51EK1XGACDL.jpg

Yeah, all the complaints are warranted, but still, I loved it.

Sleeping Dogs on the PS3.

I remember I broke up with my girlfriend at the time a few years back and was feeling kind of down, so I treated myself to a new game.  I knew it was kind of like GTA, involving the triads.  I didn't realize how much I'd enjoy it.  Ended up being easily one of my favorites of the PS3-era.

Kingdom Hearts and Civilization 3. Civ is now my favorite game series of all time followed by Kingdom Hearts.

Oh and I picked up Borderlands while looking for co-op games, easily the best co-op game on the entire last gen for me.

Sleeping Dogs on PS3 is the first one that comes to mind. I bought it in a sale and I was on sick leave from my job at the time as I'd just had an operation. A GTA style game set in Hong Kong centred around Triads seemed almost too good to be true. It filled the time nicely and I went on to get the Platinum. I loved this game. I'm planning on getting the Definitive Edition on PS4 at some point.

The other one is Gravity Rush on Vita. I didn't think this would be my cup of tea, but I loved it. Again, I'm planning on getting the Remastered version of this on PS4 at some point too.

Other than that, I'd say Murasaki Baby, Monsterbag, and Doki-Doki Universe are also games I've played on a spur of the moment that I wouldn't normally look twice at.

There are probably more games to be added here, but i want to start with those two.

• DarksidersI bought it the very first month I received my ps3 with a 3x2 sale and I loved every second of the game. At the time I used to play games with the italian language,therefore the name of the main character for me would always be Guerra (it means War).

• ArmelloTo be honest this game is in my Top 10 games of 2015, at first I was really uncertain about starting it, Only 1 person had the platinum and I didn't want to play broken games with unobtainable plats, furthermore there was nothing to be found on the internet. In the end I just decided to play it anyway....the rest is history.

I don't really buy games on impulse. I carefully research before I buy them to see if they're any good or if I think I'm going to like them.

But... I once bought Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors for the Game Boy Color. I already had the Legacy of Goku games for the Game Boy Advance and figured I was good with portable Dragon Ball, not to mention, battling through card games? Eh... but I saw it for sale on the store and just thought: ah, screw it.

Turns out it's actually pretty fun. The translation is a bit mediocre, but other than that, turns out it's a hidden gem among Dragon Ball games.

I usually don't buy games on a whim. However, I can give, at least, two examples of games that I bought on a sale, without thinking much, and I actually ended up enjoying them a lot:

Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars - If you take a look at my profile, you'll clearly see that I'm not into JRPG's at all. However, one night, I wanted something to play on my Vita, so I went to the store and saw the demo for this game; I knew that I probably wouldn't like it, but I ended up downloading it anyway. Just as I thought I didn't like the demo much and I didn't even finish it right away. However, a few days later, I was so bored of all my other games even on my PS3 and PS4, that I went to my Vita and thought "Well, let's finish this demo..." and this time I actually enjoyed it a lot more. I found the game refreshing and the combat in the dungeons got me hooked. The game was, actually on sale at the time for 12€, but I was still very reluctant to buy it; I even went to the store where I buy the psn cards and left without buying anything and then returned there again, this time to actually buy the card, so you can see how undecided I was! I arrived home, turned on my Vita and, without thinking much, I just bought the game. I actually ended up loving everything about this game! It's fun and entertaining, the combat system is enjoyable and not hard to understand (unlike other games from this genre), the characters are nice and interesting to get to know, beating the harder final bosses was awesome and memorable...! Conclusion: I actually spent about 80 hours in this game, I loved it and I actually got the platinum for it, which was a great accomplishment, considering that I still don't like JRPG's much! This was the only JRPG that made me stay until the end, so it must have something special!  xD  

Watch Dogs - Why do people say so many bad things about this game? This made me hesitant to buy it, but I had the money in my wallet and it was just 14,80€, so I ended up buying it with less than an hour left for the sale to end! And guess what? I loved it! It's fun, enjoyable, relaxing... I loved driving around the city and completing missions. No bugs, smooth gameplay, nice graphics... Of course that it's not a masterpiece or very original, but it's certainly very enjoyable! So much that it deserved a place as my 75th plat.

Just Cause 2 on the 360 - A random purchase as I'm more into story driven games, This is possibly one of my favorite games ever made. I got the Ps3 version on digital on psn+ and got the plat for that.

Demons Souls ps3 - Only reason I bought this was because it had "Atlus" on the cover and I was missing SMT so bad. Why the hell is there so few SMT games last gen? and this gen so far. Anyway, I had played Kings Field 1 on ps1 and 4 on ps2? (I think 4) And didn't know DS was a game by From. I mean I don't need to spell it out, DS is one of the best games made in the last decade.

The Secret Of Mana on SNES - Why I'd ever buy a game that looks so colorful is beyond me. Weeks later, I'm after every jrpg I can get on SNES. It's thanks to Mana that I spent so Much at Lik Sang, you know the import store that Sony ran out of Business? Yes I used to hate the playstation and Sony, if sega was still in the console business I wouldn't be a member here which is a pity because I like %99.9 of the members.

Powerslave/Exhumed on the Sega Saturn - I just bought this for no other reason than it was new. In the time when FPS games were getting boring I didn't think much of the genre. An Egyptian based fps that looks gorgeous an runs as smooth as silk on the (Apparently) less powerful console? Amazing game, pity the ps1 version was so horrible.

Edited by Z1MZUM

The Last of Us. It came with my PS4 as a bundle. I didn't know much about it. Just put in the disk and started playing. I was instantly hooked, played it for hours in different difficulties, completed grounded mode, completed Left behind and have played literally hundreds of games in Factions. Still loving it and getting back to it way too often.

I can't really remember any other game that hooked me so long, especially ones that I didn't know anything about.

Maybe Bard's Tale on C64, the first real role-playing game. But that was in 1985, so I am not sure if I remember correctly or if nostalgia is getting the best of me. Thinking about it, I played Mario Kart on the Wii a lot. That started out as just playing with my son, but got me hooked pretty bad as well.

But both don't really fit the thread as they were not bought on a whim.

Onimusha Warlords for PS2, a friend of mine bigged it up and said the reviews were fantastic. At the time id never even heard of it, looked on the back and it didnt look my type of game but believed the hype from my friend and bought it. Never regretted it and has become one of my favourite franchises. Shame Capcom never remastered the trilogy or added to it.

Happens to me all the time with flash sales and PS+ freebies.  The best recent example is buying Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2 sometime last year during a flash sale, and then liking it so much I had to go out and buy 5 more games in the franchise.  That was one expensive flash sale for me, but totally worth it.

Mass Effect Trilogy. I had a passing curiousity in the series, and at the time I was about to join a forum-based RPG set in it. Granted, everyone sings Mass Effect's praises from the mountaintops, but I was mostly expecting to just "like" the game.

Then it became one of my favorite RPG series of all time within a single summer.

Mass Effect on the 360 (was so engrossed from the very beginning)

Witcher 2 on 360 (wanted another RPG but man the story was amazing)

Alpha Protocol (despite it's flaws and lack of customization it was so well done)

Mission Impossible: Operation Surma on Original Xbox (been years since I played it but it's still was one of my favorites)

Fable/Fable: The Lost Chapters Original Xbox (High customization, good or evil personality, getting fat, lot's of flirting beings this game was thought to have everything)

Jade Empire Original Xbox (bought because of Bioware but in hindsight so worth my time and money beautiful areas, strange creatures, and some eastern lore)

Uncharted Series PS3  (saw the trailer for UD3 and was like a Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones ripoff but man what an addiction it put me on)

Prince of Persia (animated looking one)( wishing for a second one but it's very unlikely)

Firewatch Quick, short, but kept me really intrigued (heard it was in the Wyoming wilderness and enjoyed it)

Heavy Rain PS3 (old profile) plan on a ps4 purchase sometime soon

Dragon's Dogma Xbox 360 (great combat, world, and some hilarious stuff you can do)

Dragon Age: Origins 360 (great story, good customization and a great crew to chose from)

Assassins Creed 360  (but now they are getting a little wishy washy that I'm losing interest in the series)

What can I say I bought a lot of games on a whim.

For me it was Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. Me and my dad found a website where we could buy games, but to try we bought that game, was 12€. If it was fake and we didn't get nothing it was just 12€. The game came so I'm good. Then after a few weeks of having it on the shelf I though "Let's see how is this game." And WOW! I loved it!