Games you wish had a reboot

Mr_MovieMan29

And well, it's not a series, but if someone ever decided to pick up Shadowman and make a sequel or reboot... man that game was sick as hell.

There actually was a second Shadowman, so it would qualify as a series. :)

Shadow_Man_Second_Coming.jpg

A "no brainer" would be GTA San Andreas, the greatest GTA of all time. It shouldn't just be an ordinary "reboot" like RE though, it's gotta be a full scale remake (with GTA V graphics) some new missions, same voice actors,w/MP..man that sh*t would be EPIC!

Jak & Daxter,

Jak 3 remains my favourite PS2 game and was a delight to replay on PS3 as part of the HD-collection.

There are few things I would like to change if it ever came to a reboot. I will use names from previous games to make my examples.

Creatures like Pecker, Daxter, ... should remain these funny weird little creatures. But charachters like Jak, Keira, Sig, ... should be more human looking.It's to avoid the game and characters looking childish and weird. 

Import RPG-elements to deliver a different experience every time.

For example:

You can tune your hoverbike, your dune buggy and your hoverboard (Jak X - inspired)

Custom weapons and custom gear, ex. you find a hidden precursor plate and you use it to improve your gear. 

So in opposite to previous games, you would not get all your upgrades through story missions, but you could get some special gear by using a special type of metal head skulls (ex.)

Skill trees based on eco:

• Green: health, armor, healing your companions ...
  • Blue: technology (remember the blue sage in J&D 1?), stamina (like run faster), ...
  • Yellow: combat weapons, (both vehicle and combat with your character), explosives, ...
  • Red: combat melee, strenghtish lstuff like breaking some walls
  • White: white eco would be unlocked if you completed the blue, green, yellow and red skill trees which would be something fun after finishing the game.

Dark and Light eco could be integrated as playing evil or good (like infamous) which unlocks different powers. And a balance like Jak was taguht in Jak 3 should also be an option, it would give you similar powers like being really dark or light, but significantly less effective, less power.

Light Eco would provide a shield (to pass through lava areas, like the hoverbike shield in J&D1) while dark eco an attack (possible to destroy some walls like the game).

Flight could be the ultimate Light Eco power, while I have no clue what could be the final dark eco power.

However this would mean that the games would have choices. I wouldn't go as far as choosing partners, bur rather simple story based choices.

Example: - yes spoiler but the game is so old by now - when Veger tells you Damas was your father, Jak became enraged and changed into dark Jak for a brief moment, which activated the precursor subway system. Imagine you could let Veger run off (light eco) which resulted in the ending of him becoming a precursor or you could kill him before he runs off (dark eco). A neutral ending could be him running off but not becoming a precursor.

If you choose a light eco playstyle you could end up with someone like Seem who worships precursors at a temple as hideout in the wasteland or you choose dark eco and you end up with some rebels in the city sewage. Choosing to be neutral will result in a hideout with scholars who studie all eco, sages, etc

The story should include these choices, but the game should not be about  light versus dark as main story subject (like infamous)

I can see you worked hard on your overall reply, and other things... You have some nice visions and points, and im interested in a discussion!

Agree with situation with the characters. Jak X: Combat Racing, The Lost Frontier, and Playstation Moves Heroes (however, not Playstation All Stars Battle Royale) all made related changes to the duo for the best. In The Lost Frontier, Jak's hair looked more realistic, and Daxter's fur was realistic-like furry, in Jak X, Jak's body was more realistic to that of a "true" human (since Jak's universe, his race are considered humans)-- his hands didn't reach to his knees or slightly passed it (even though this was barely noticeable in the trilogy and a complaint worth complaining about), and lastly, in Playstation Move Heroes, Jak looked his best in terms of updated character model and realistic'ness, along with Daxter, who was also furry in that game as well. In PSMH Jak may have been his Jak 3 height again, but he looked great on the next generation console and better than he did in Jak 3. 

Jak doesn't necessarily have to look more human, especially since he mostly looks just like one aside from the ears. This is why I never considered Jak childish (especially after Jak II and Jak 3!!) or THAT cartoony (seriously hate the way ND especially and most other people like IGN categorize and compare Jak to other cartoony chars), because he looks nothing close and cannot be fully compared to c-characters like Sly, Ratchet, Banjoo, Crash, and other notable cartoony characters. Give Jak normal ears and re-size his eyes and he'd basically look like a true human. That's not what I want, im just making a point. I prefer and think the long elf like ears should stay. But yeah childish is definitely the wrong word to use. Cartoony would be the more proper term. However, and this is something ND brung up, would't it be weird to see a more realistic Jak with talking animals whom look more realistic themselves also? Jak's games would really have to stay "fantasy-ish" (which it should, scratch that, needs to) so everything that's happening makes sense. The funny thing is they can still make Jak look more realistic, just not the same realistic as a true human. Like I brung up before, some games that Jak appeared in after Jak 3 had him with improved features that made him look human'ish/realistic. That's the best that can happen to Jak without us seeing what ND attempted before scrapping Jak-

PS4_Jak4_1.jpg

and 

http://blackstormmuseum.fr/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/DSCN7004.jpg (this picture is the better of the 2 to understand my point. Also, I didn't post it out, like above, because this pic is way too immense for a comment section.)

RPG elements is literally among one of the top 3 best additions for a Jak and Daxter sequel or reboot, so I entirely agree on that concept. But it should not get carried away. Jak is best as an open world game, and turning Jak into a full or mostly based RPG game would be a mistake. But if Jak was too gain more RPG aspects/elements that'd be perfectly fine, especially with how Jak's games are with all the vehicles, gadgets, powers, etc. The skill tree was an excellent idea, and The Lost Frontier essentially already did this (one of that game's strong suits, and a feature worth respecting and noting in that game) though.

maxresdefault.jpg(I know the picture is a little big, sigh.. it can't be helped.)

This subject on behalf on light and dark is partially complicated to express for me. May'be I haven't given it enough thought, but as of this moment, I don't think it should be like that. Keep in mind that inFAMOUS was my number 1 favorite last Gen series, as Jak and Daxter was my favorite before-last-gen series. Now why? (Because) The whole decision factor takes away from Jak's character, no matter how you look at it, it makes the character like a puppet with no control, makes it feel as though we the players are the ones deciding how things play out in the story and universe, splits the story by default making 2 which means there is no solid "it all plays out like this" story, destroys the destiny-with-character(s) concept that the series brung in, makes it feel like everything is not connected and leading to the "end of the line" sort to speak, makes it feel, etc, I can go on, but I wish I could express this stuff slightly better.

So I feel the characters and story should all be set up as a story that players cannot interfere or corrupt. It was nice, cool, and amazing in Heavy Rain, Beyond 2 Souls, and inFAMOUS (and will be again when Until Dawn comes out) but it shouldn't be incorporated into the Jak universe IMO, at least not heavily, and there shouldn't be a story built on dark and light separately either, since that would become the new concept of the series (like it has been with inFAMOUS), so once implemented, it'd be difficult to get rid of, both because of how it will affect the sequels structure (story wise and game design wise) and because of how (some) fans would react, since it's suppose to act as the stand to the (hypothetical rebooted) series. I know you said something like "not exactly like inFAMOUS", but im just saying the story should not be connected with decisions the players can make to alter that story.

Gameplay wise the concept on your decisions affecting your survival and stuff makes sense (deaths and constant respawns are consistent game flaws that we have to deal with and is completely understandable, so that's exceptional), so if I destroy my ride in the desert, I should have to find other means to get to my destination, unless the missions requires a vehicle to pick up people for example or something like that, like using my Jetboard or flying to get to my destination. It was actually like this in Jak 3.. Of course there are exceptions like when playing a mission that requires you to pick up people, you simply need a ride for them.. but in like "free mode" (where you're available to do whatever you want mid-game and post-game) and certain other type of missions, like hunting Precursor Orbs, if you destroy your ride for example, you should have to deal with the after-effects.

• Like 1

Zombies Ate My Neighbors!

A "no brainer" would be GTA San Andreas, the greatest GTA of all time. It shouldn't just be an ordinary "reboot" like RE though, it's gotta be a full scale remake (with GTA V graphics) some new missions, same voice actors,w/MP..man that sh*t would be EPIC!

I don't think younger generation would understand the "gangsta rap era" ebonics and the references. But it's worth a shot.

Chrono Trigger, Devil Dice, Final Fantasy XII, Grandia, and Kula World.

That said, I would take FFXII in reboot or remake so long as I get it for a console that's still supported - it's the only main-series FF that isn't available via PSN somehow, and that's thoroughly maddening for me as it's one of my favourite FFs, and favourite RPGs in general - Balthier is the only male main character of the FF series I really outright fangirled for. Chrono Trigger I have on DS, and Grandia & Kula World {Roll Away for you North Americans =P) on PSP via PSOne Classics, but Devil Dice is still only available on PS1. I have it, but it's a pain to have to switch out all my connections and consoles every time I want to play it. Likewise FFXII when I feel the need to log onto my PS3 to check in with my friends every so often, so can't keep the PS2 and 3 hooked up at the same time all the time...

Edit: Whoops, code typo.

Edited by Trialia_X

Saints Row (Sorry, but the series needs to restart from the tone put in stone in SR3. I love SR4, I probably like it even more than 3 but the direction the series is going is Horrible. By the way Saints Row is my favorite games franchise... Even though I really only like 3 and 4 :S)

Sly Cooper (not really a reboot by Sly 5 is needed)

Jak and Daxter (everyone has already said this, I'll just shut up)

Twisted Metal (just like sly cooper, not really a reboot but a new Twisted Metal for PS4 would be awesome)

Crash Bandicoot? (Everyones already said this, and I have a feeling it would be shit but I'd still like to see a new crash)

Modnation Racers (I really think the idea had a lot of potential, it was just overshadowed by LBP)

Duke Nukem (no comment on this besides make it good)

Buzz! (I really just want to see another boxed copy of Buzz on the shelves, even though trivia video games are a thing of the past I want to see another one)

Resistance (I really liked the direction 3 was going in, but then the series was canceled. Oh well)

Ratchet and Clank (No I'm not counting this mysterious remake of the first Ratchet game a reboot. I want a new trilogy of Ratchet Games. At least give us A Ratchet Future Collection with updated graphics for PS4.)

3D Dot Game Heroes (It was a fun little game, would like to see another)

Motorstorm (motorstorm is so much fun, and considering Driveclub is what the dev went on to make, they would be MUCH better off just making another motor storm)

Ni No Kuni (I want a new one, not a reboot but a new one)

Puppeteer (A second chance for this series please?)

Starhawk (I feel like it had a lot of potential that could be seen in a sequel, but Sony won't do it)

Dragons Crown (It was a fun beat em up, would buy a new one)

3D Rayman (why did 3D platformers have to die anyway ;( sosadmaekmicrierrytime )

Valkyria Chronicles (I never played the first but it looks really good)

Well that list was longer than I expected

Legacy of Kain

Soul Reaper

Legend of Dragoon

Parasite Eve

Dark Cloud

.Hack

Xenogrears

Chronos Trigger

Wild Arms

Alter Beast (can you imagine the crazy mister you could turn into now)

Wizards and Warriors

Streets of Rage

I could put more, but the list would be to long. So these are what I would really like to see.

LEGEND OF DRAGOON!!!!!!!!! Oh and final fantasy XII get's honorable mention. I spent just as much time on legend of dragoon as I did final fantasy VII. It was just an incredible game through and through. I also would like to see mega man legends get a reboot but that'll never happen.

I'd love an Onimusha reboot though I'd settle for a HD remaster at the moment, come on Capcom, get on it!

A FFXII remaster would be amazing, it often feels left out and under-rated, though I loved it and sank many hours into that game, I'm kind of over the idea of a FFVII remake, Square-Enix just love to dangle that carrot with no intention of actually giving us it. 

I think Soul Reaver deserves either a reboot or remaster, Nosgoth with current gen capabilities bringing it to life with all it's dark glory.

Older JRPGS are due a reboot, Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears etc. 

I wouldn't mind an MDK reboot for current gen, It's been such a long time since I played it but I have a soft spot for that game.

SSX, more in line with SSX Tricky and not the disappointing reboot that came out last gen

Dino Crisis, pretty much like Uncharted/Tomb Raider reboot mixed with Resident Evil but with Dinosaurs , also make sure its nothing like Dino Crisis 3

Crash Bandicoot, either like the old Crash games or somewhat like Jak

Ape Escape. just make it like AE3

Wild Arms, dev team behind wants to make a new one, so why not reboot it and get a nice JRPG in the PS4 line up

Duck Tales, with a new TV show reboot coming, this is the best time for a new Duck Tales game

Alundra, Sony answer to Zelda back on the PS1, they haven't really tried making a Zelda like game in years and the dev team of it is still around

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, just do it the same, they still hold up

Star Wars Bounty Hunter, just make it a mix between  Assassin's Creed and Vanquish