How much of a grind is this game.

While I've heard people both praise and criticize this game, I know next to nothing about this game's story and the only thing I know about the battle system is that it has pokemon stuff in it.

Now without spoiling anything, how many hours of grinding is needed to plat this game.

Also is there any grind walls in the story? Like a boss that forces you to grind levels or anything like that?

For beating the game, depending on how good you are and what familiars you use, there are potential grind walls by the end of the game, but not too many during. It's not that hard of a game by the start, just the late game can be difficult.

Now for platinum, that is one whole other beast. Because of the rarity of some materials you need to grind, one quest alone is gonna take days, maybe even a week to finish. Some of the combat-related trophies, like an arena that is in the game, requires you to have the right familiar composition, otherwise you're pretty much never gonna be able to beat it, no matter what level you are. Any familiar works for most of the game, but when it tries to actually become difficult sadly that mantra is thrown out almost completely. With the wrong familiars then you can only go so far before you get totally decimated

Pretty much what Dr. Mayus above said.  If I might add it took me approximately 120 hours or so to platinum if I remember correctly.  That could be long, short or average compared to other people, but that's about how long it took me.  Fairly typical for an RPG if you ask me.  RPGs are usually at least a hundred hours to platinum.

• Like 2

I got the platinum in 2 week and 2 days. Game time was about 180 hours or so (I was level 99 by the final boss battle)

I loved every single second of this game. If you love Studio Ghibli, then you'll definitely love this game's story and the visuals.....everything <3

My advice would be to get 2 destroceros as soon as you can and just sit back and relax while they do the hard work of destroying your enemies.

If you are going for the plat then you'll need lots of patience, as some items are insanely rare....some enemies as well......and the drops for these rare enemies are...well...rare...

Be sure to enjoy the story and the characters =D

• Like 1

Took me about 85 hours. I also got 5 scrolls of truth in less than an hour and was really good at the game in general (had the right familiars and tricks from the get go).

If you look at a guide ahead of time and farm early from the world map, you could get it in 80 hours

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

Took me 90 hours iirc.

Anyways, this is no doubt 80+, but Platinum time solely depends on your luck in terms of drops, familiar recruiting and probably the Solosseum as well.

It may even take you less than 80, but you could easily go over 100.

But every hour is worth. This game is magnificent and you MUST play it =D

While I've heard people both praise and criticize this game, I know next to nothing about this game's story and the only thing I know about the battle system is that it has pokemon stuff in it.

Now without spoiling anything, how many hours of grinding is needed to plat this game.

Also is there any grind walls in the story? Like a boss that forces you to grind levels or anything like that?

The amount of time needed to plat this game heavily depends on luck. It took me 38 hours of farming to get the 10 rare materials, another 60+ to get 250 familiars. In comparison I could've grinded Riku to lvl 100 almost ten times in KH CoM during that same amount of time. So if I were you, I'd start making sacrifices to the Random Number Gods before starting this game.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

i'm so slow so i took 204 of hours to plat, about two month.

there's an area called " Billy Goat's Bluff - South " it contain a super rarely to be seen familiar named TokoToko "search in the wizard companion to see how he looks like" he's very weak when battling him so he will always cast a spell to put's you and your group to sleep and he will just flee the battle, if you manage to beat him before escaping he may worth 8,005 or 23,000 EXP. and he's way too fast if he sees you on the world map it's hard to catch up with him.

best way to get him is to cast ( Veil ) you will receive later, which is a spell that allow you to be invisible to the eye of the familiars and just search for a tokotoko in the area.

there's also the hidden boss called Guardian of Worlds that you can encounter after post-game.

in the very first encounter, if you beat him you'll gain 18,000 EXP. and 10,000 gold, but in the other re-encounter he will get slightly powerful but beating him again will gives you 21,000 EXP. and 14,000 gold plus very very rare items. Guardian of the Worlds is the only boss in the game that you can encounter as many times as you desire, after beating him again just use the spell travel to ding dong dell and then run all the way back to his place to fight him again.

• Like 1

The leveling is very quick if you know how to do it efficiently. What did bother me was collecting a couple of ingredients near the very end. You pretty much need some few of a certain item that drop very rarely from some very few and somewhat rare enemies. The rest really wasn't much grind for me. As I said, if you know how, the leveling etc is very quick. The battle system is rather bad and boring IMO, and broken I'd say. It's super easy if you get this one familiar to max level, you can one-hit almost everything, and by that I mean entire enemy parties, and the exception is some few of the bosses which takes a couple of hits instead.

Edited by MMDE

I recall my final time for the platinum was 91 hours. I overleveled my main familliars, which did make the fights easier but also added a little more voluntary grinding time. Even without overleveling the game is very grindy at heart. Still had lots of fun with it though!

Story wise: It won't take too much of a grind to get up to an appropriate level to fight bosses, only the late game part require some grinding.

Platinum wise: Considering that it took me about 7 months to plat this. It's pretty obvious there is a whole crapload of grinding, and it doesn't help that some quests seems to take days to do. I really loathe the ones that requires capturing the monster for the friggin Scholar, it always seems that always one monster refuses to spawn or often gets auto-killed by one of my teammates. Is it difficult? No, but it takes alot of your time.