Heads Up On Ultimate Edition

dannyboy_devil

I don't know about you guys.. but when i bought the Ultimate Edition for this game BRAND NEW.. 

I noticed a Huge problem.. 'noticed' - It was Hard to Miss !! It actually forced me to buy the normal version of the game just to complete it.

It would usually happen after 1 hour worth of game play. All of sudden the Frame Rate would decide to drop to a unplayable state.

(1 frame per 10 seconds ha!) 

The only way to fix it was to try and save before the Frame Rate dropped too much then back out to the main game menu and reload the save. 

I heard this was a problem with all the PS3 copies of the Ultimate Edition. 

So personally if your thinking about picking this game up (Which you should because it was really fun in my opinion) 

Buy the Normal Version first and then if you want to do the DLC.. you can pick up the Ultimate Edition afterwards.. 

To be honest it doesn't cost barely anything as both are super cheap now and i believe its Disc Based DLC anyways so a pre-owned copy does the job.

Wow thats crazy i was planning on getting this game cuz of the dlc but now i have to think about it

You get use to saving just before your Frame Rate drops.. just breaks the game up a bit..

Doesn't take away from the fact that the game is real fun and the DLC's alone are a good reason to buy the game 

• 1 month later...

I also used a save from the normal copy of the game and suddenly had a severe frame rate issue with the ultimate edition. I noticed it primarily tended to happen after entering a new area or fast traveling (although not always). Turning off the autosave on travel seemed to reduce, but not eliminate, this issue. But when it does occur, you can usually save and quit to the xmb despite it taking forever.

Wow thats crazy i was planning on getting this game cuz of the dlc but now i have to think about it

After about 20 hours of gameplay my game crashed after every 10 or so minutes, It was really bad.

I wouldn't recommend buying it, same goes for Fallout 3 GOTY edition.

• 2 weeks later...

The crashing is absolutely insane it crashes more then every other game I own combined. I had 0 problems with fallout 3 which was generally thought to crash worse then this. I pray to god they scrap this engine they are using for nv and fo3 so whenever fo4 comes out it isint glitchy garbage.

• Like 1

Happened with Fallout 3 GOTY Edition and my Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition. It would happen every few hours during the main game and some DLC's *COUGH* BROKEN STEEL AND HONEST HEARSTS *COUGH* would literally freeze sometimes as soon as anyone fired a gun.

I had absolutely no problem with freezes or FPS on the 360 versions of the game.

Edited by BhekifaZ

Happened with Fallout 3 GOTY Edition and my Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition. It would happen every few hours during the main game and some DLC's *COUGH* BROKEN STEEL AND HONEST HEARSTS *COUGH* would literally freeze sometimes as soon as anyone fired a gun.

I had absolutely no problem with freezes or FPS on the 360 versions of the game.

^this although my problem is more or less the fps dropping to unplayable numbers every once in a while for no reason

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Ultimate Edition is like 15 pounds of spuds in a 10 pound bag. It also doesn't help that the game has issues even if no dlc is installed. I had no issues with Skyrim, Oblivion and Fallout 3. I guess this is Bethesda telling me that I'm not as lucky as I thought.

Edited by Kubanga

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I know this topic is pretty old , but just to confirm - its bad. Some of the DLC is unplayable, even without a couple of hours of decent playtime. I am trying to play Lonesome Road, but as soon as I load the game, the frame rate drops horribly. I've tried rebooting, without success. I am actually trying a rebuild of my PS3 database right now to see if it will help.  Really, really bad.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JABing said:

I know this topic is pretty old , but just to confirm - its bad. Some of the DLC is unplayable, even without a couple of hours of decent playtime. I am trying to play Lonesome Road, but as soon as I load the game, the frame rate drops horribly. I've tried rebooting, without success. I am actually trying a rebuild of my PS3 database right now to see if it will help.  Really, really bad.

Safe Mode won't help you with New Vegas, especially once your save gets over the 8-10mb save file stability limit. If you want to get the 100%, then I recommend splitting the DLCs into 2 or separate Playthroughs so you can play them without too many problems. By the time I had the 100%, my saves were nearly 18mb each and the game lagged like mad and crashed every 15mins or so :(. Even the Cache Clear Code from Fallout 3, doesn't really help that much in New Vegas as the game will lag and crash whenever it damn well feels like it.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got my 100%, but yes, it was not fun towards the end. Haha.

I managed to get it all in one playthrough - the rebuild did help, but only for about an hour, and then it went back to normal (ie horribly laggy).

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if it's partly to do with the console version. On my old account I only ever encountered the lag in Honest Hearts, using an 80gb fat console. I now have a super-slim with a 1tb hard drive and the lag is so much worse, and across all DLC except GRA which is part of the game. My save file is only 8500 or so, but so far its averaged about 3 restarts per trophy (5 trophies per DLC). I thought I could get all the trophies all cleared up on my day off, but not only does all the restarts take a lot of time but my patience is running very thin. I would recommend doing one DLC per day to prevent a build-up of aggravation to protect your controllers. PS. playing the Ultimate edition which negates only downloading one DLC at a time which is suggested as a solution, just have to grit my teeth.