Add new rank of trophy completion [S+]

Link, i think that the plat/check mark system and the Rank system work properly together 'cause they have two different aims. The plat/check mark system would be useless with your addition, but the new one system would lack of consistency, clarity and immediacy. 

I think is a good idea but it's not very important because we have the platinum symbol platinum_icon.png and  the checkmark  complete_icon.png

NB : There are very few "No Platinum Games" with DLC trophies...very very few

The checkmark currently doesn't work the same way as the platinum mark...

Doesn't really matter if there are few of those games, but I think there are far more than you'd imagine. Here's a list of those PSN games I have on my list that has DLCs:

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers

Magic Orbz

Dogfight 1942

Stacking

Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom

Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype

That's the way a PSN-base-game completed could be:

PNRULLn.png

Rank A is a proper rank, imho.

I'd be in favor of doing it like this. It might present a problem with what "100%" is on the user pages though. It could be misinterpreted as 100%'s on games without a platinum instead of a count of the S rank games like it currently means. 

I throw the towel because I'm not good at explaining stuff like this. Not even in my primary language.
You should take a look into a subject called "statistic".

On a side note I don't agree with the "+" being added because I feel like it wouldn't fit with what the letter ranking system represents. I think someone else explained it, but I can't find the post to quote it: It gives you a ranking based on how you rank in the game compared to others who have played the game. F and S are absolute for 0 and 100 respectively. C represents where most people are, based on your completion as compared to average completion. Greater than average equates to B and A rank and less than average equates to D and E rank. Adding a "+" or any other arbitrary symbol to represent completing the DLC trophies wouldn't compare you to anyone in regards to your completion of the DLC trophies as a percentage. It would just give an absolute of 100% or not 100% in terms of DLC trophies. I feel like this might be the point DocDoomII was trying to make in his previous posts which is why I quoted him, but I don't want to put words in his mouth.

Edited by theguytom

I throw the towel because I'm not good at explaining stuff like this. Not even in my primary language.

You should take a look into a subject called "statistic".

Not sure what that has to do with this. I could make a system that works exactly as I have described, it doesn't make any difference the way the % is calculated or the rank parameters are divided it will still function the same way. It will do exactly what it is doing right now as we speak in the current system, but your rank will be defaulted to S if you receive a platinum in the game or all trophies in a PSN game. In addition when you complete all your DLC trophies you will receive a + on your rank regardless of what it is. This works 100% without a doubt as it is adding two separate things on the very current system and because you can't have all trophies without having the platinum you will always end up S or S+ at 100%, but as I said already games with large amounts of DLC trophies it would be possible to jump from rank C to S because you receive a platinum having 50 trophies say, but have 0 of 80 DLC trophies. 

That's the way a PSN-base-game completed could be:

PNRULLn.png

Rank A is a proper rank, imho.

This is a beautiful thing. Your percentage would remain unchanged, ranks remain unchanged but you'd (maybe) get a few added to your "completed games" number, and it'd be easier to tell - at a glance - what people have "finished".

I can't believe this thread has gone on for 6 pages.

If you implement a new ranking, absolutely nothing would change. It would just be called something different. An A rank with a plat would just be the same as an S rank in the new system, and an S rank would be the exact same as the proposed S+ or SS or whatever. Either way, you still aren't going to have the highest rank. All it's doing is changing the letter. But it's ultimately not going to really do anything but give Sly more work. 

• Like 1

I can't believe this thread has gone on for 6 pages.

If you implement a new ranking, absolutely nothing would change. It would just be called something different. An A rank with a plat would just be the same as an S rank in the new system, and an S rank would be the exact same as the proposed S+ or SS or whatever. Either way, you still aren't going to have the highest rank. All it's doing is changing the letter. But it's ultimately not going to really do anything but give Sly more work. 

It doesn't seem like you have read the thread all that much though...

Personally, I think the idea behind the + is interesting, which is a way of showing that you've completed all the DLCs. I think maybe it would be a better idea to implement it in another way than adding the + to the letter, which has to do with a completely different stat.

Why I'm saying it doesn't seem like you've read that much of the thread is that the main point here is that it's very hard to tell if the main part of the game has been 100% or not when it comes to PSN games with DLCs. It's easy to tell when it comes to games with a platinum, because you will have that mark there then, but when it comes to PSN games, the check mark doesn't work the same way. It only gets added when the entire game has been 100%. As it currently is, it serves close to no useful purpose, because you can tell if the PSN game is 100% by the %.

I very much like what alebrego suggested, that the check mark works the same way for PSN games as the platinum mark does for games with a platinum. The checkmark could also come in different colors, depending on what you've completed (either all DLCs, or only the main game, or everything etc), but me personally am not all that interested in the color stuff or showing that you've completed the DLCs without having completed the main game etc.

Edited by MMDE

New rank seems a bit much... 

I like alebrego's suggestion though: change when the green checkmark appears. It should appear when the base game is completed for a PSN game. And then the S rank shows as usual when all the DLC trophies are earned.

Seems to me that in many many different threads about DLC there are a huge amount of people who spend more time aruing that thier incomplete lists should be recognised as being somehow 'complete' than it would take to just earn the damn trophies.

DLC trophies are often hard. In some cases far far harder than base game trophies (see Metro Last Light, TLoU, Uncharted 2&3, Dishonored etc)

The amount of effort that seems to go into arguing that the work completionists put into gaining S ranks in these games should be considered 'less-than' is ludicrous. If you have a problem with your incomplete lists being described as such by the site, go earn the damn S rank. Otherwise accept your incomplete list for what it is and move on.

The site already caters far too strongly towards minimising the achievement of completionists in favour of 'rewarding' those who dont see DLC as part of the game (or claim that is thier position because its easier to sit back and hurl rocks at those who put the work in than it is to put the work in yourself)

• Like 3

Seems to me that in many many different threads about DLC there are a huge amount of people who spend more time aruing that thier incomplete lists should be recognised as being somehow 'complete' than it would take to just earn the damn trophies.

DLC trophies are often hard. In some cases far far harder than base game trophies (see Metro Last Light, TLoU, Uncharted 2&3, Dishonored etc)

The amount of effort that seems to go into arguing that the work completionists put into gaining S ranks in these games should be considered 'less-than' is ludicrous. If you have a problem with your incomplete lists being described as such by the site, go earn the damn S rank. Otherwise accept your incomplete list for what it is and move on.

The site already caters far too strongly towards minimising the achievement of completionists in favour of 'rewarding' those who dont see DLC as part of the game (or claim that is thier position because its easier to sit back and hurl rocks at those who put the work in than it is to put the work in yourself)

This indeed sir!...

Personally i don't care about the 100% completion if the time/effort/frustration outweighs the gain of earning a certain trophy. To those for which it IS important, kudos to them, and congrats on the completion!

So you make a choice : or you are happy with your completion rate as it is, or you put in the effort to get what you want. Do not expect rewards for something you won't commit to....

If dlc is added later on, start the game back up and try to get them, its as simple as that. If you don't, no sweat, you still have a platinum and the fun that came with it.

Since when did games become only about digital rewards and icons anyway?!? Play what you want and up to the point you want, and stop stressing about your 'digital rank'... Thats my two cents anyway :P

• Like 2

I don't think it'd be a good idea. It would make people that have completed dlc seem superior when they're not.

wot ? doesn't the S allow that anyway ? and do people really feel superior when they have more trophies ?

This annouces a thread that has gone on too long !

New rank seems a bit much... 

I like alebrego's suggestion though: change when the green checkmark appears. It should appear when the base game is completed for a PSN game. And then the S rank shows as usual when all the DLC trophies are earned.

A new rank seems a bit overkill imo. It would be way easier if the checkmark has the same purpose as the platinum icon, since PSN games with DLC is what people here are really worried about.

Just going to reply to you all in one go, because you guys have obviously not read the entire thread, or at least so it would seem. It would also seem a lot of people find the opening post not to explain the suggestion very well either, but this has been explained throughout the thread.

The idea of the plus is just for it to be an indicator for if you've completed all the DLCs for a game. It really doesn't have anything to do with the rank, and as such it is rather misguiding.

Why would we need this? It is to easily see if someone has completed all the trophies for the game excluding the DLC trophies. That would mean it would need to be an S if main game is 100% (excluding DLCs) and adding the "+" if all the DLC trophies are 100%. This would mean that we would need to mess with the ranking, and as such this is totally the wrong way to go about this.

What has been suggested in this thread is to make the check mark work the same way for PSN games as the platinum mark works for games with a platinum. So that the rank stays the same, but you can easily tell which PSN games you've 100% the main game (excluding DLC trophies). The % and rank would still say if you got 100% including the DLC trophies. So yeah, nothing is changed, but this would be the case:

PNRULLn.png

Instead of this (how it currently is):

sx2fp.png

I got 100% when it comes to the main part of this game (excluding the DLCs), you can see the trophies I got HERE!

This would make the check mark work the same way as the platinum trophy, which IMO, would have been awesome! :)

Edited by MMDE

no, I did read the thread and got pissed by the comment above my last post...

If Sly can work a way of getting a tick for base game, then cool - whether that is feasable, I don't know. Otherwise the other ideas are redundant because the 'grades' are based on average completion. S just means 100%.

Just going to reply to you all in one go, because you guys have obviously not read the entire thread, or at least so it would seem. It would also seem a lot of people find the opening post not to explain the suggestion very well either, but this has been explained throughout the thread.

The idea of the plus is just for it to be an indicator for if you've completed all the DLCs for a game. It really doesn't have anything to do with the rank, and as such it is rather misguiding.

Why would we need this? It is to easily see if someone has completed all the trophies for the game excluding the DLC trophies. That would mean it would need to be an S if main game is 100% (excluding DLCs) and adding the "+" if all the DLC trophies are 100%. This would mean that we would need to mess with the ranking, and as such this is totally the wrong way to go about this.

What has been suggested in this thread is to make the check mark work the same way for PSN games as the platinum mark works for games with a platinum. So that the rank stays the same, but you can easily tell which PSN games you've 100% the main game (excluding DLC trophies). The % and rank would still say if you got 100% including the DLC trophies. So yeah, nothing is changed, but this would be the case:

PNRULLn.png

sx2fp.png

I got 100% when it comes to the main part of this game (excluding the DLCs), you can see the trophies I got HERE!

This would make the check mark work the same way as the platinum trophy, which IMO, would have been awesome! :)

But why should we even exclude the DLC trophies at all? They're a part of the list and it isn't complete until you have them. Having the check ticked for an incomplete game is rather silly.

Edit: And before you talk about the plat icon, that's different, because the plat is obtained via the base game. The tick icon is used to show completion (imo, thinking about it, we should have a tick for every game which is ticked once the game has been completed)

Edited by madbuk

But why should we even exclude the DLC trophies at all? They're a part of the list and it isn't complete until you have them. Having the check ticked for an incomplete game is rather silly.

Edit: And before you talk about the plat icon, that's different, because the plat is obtained via the base game. The tick icon is used to show completion (imo, thinking about it, we should have a tick for every game which is ticked once the game has been completed)

Yes, the platinum is for 100% of the main game, and the check mark / tick could be for the same when it comes to PSN games.

Why? As it currently is, it's completely useless. You can tell by the 100% if it's 100% or not, no need for the check mark / tick for that. If it is changed, it adds extra functionality that is currently missing and is wanted. It would also make the check mark more consistent with the platinum trophy icon.

EDIT:

Go through my list of games and look for PSN games that I've got 100% for the main part of the game (excluding the DLCs). You can tell with games that has a platinum, but those that haven't got a platinum is impossible to tell. I actually got several of these cases, namely: Magic Orbz, Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom, Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype, Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Edited by MMDE

Yes, the platinum is for 100% of the main game, and the check mark / tick could be for the same when it comes to PSN games.

Why? As it currently is, it's completely useless. You can tell by the 100% if it's 100% or not, no need for the check mark / tick for that. If it is changed, it adds extra functionality that is currently missing and is wanted. It would also make the check mark more consistent with the platinum trophy icon.

EDIT:

Go through my list of games and look for PSN games that I've got 100% for the main part of the game (excluding the DLCs). You can tell with games that has a platinum, but those that haven't got a platinum is impossible to tell. I actually got several of these cases, namely: Magic Orbz, Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom, Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype, Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers.

I see your point but only on the psn games. No need to have a s+ rank tho.

EDIT:

If you've only done the base game, it isn't really worth acknowledging any kind of completion - 100% is when something is complete. As such, there's no reason to have any indication when a base game for PSN is complete.

If you've only done the base game, it isn't really worth acknowledging any kind of completion - 100% is when something is complete. As such, there's no reason to have any indication when a base game for PSN is complete.

I honestly don't care all that much what you think is worth acknowledging or not.  I want to know which PSN games I've 100% the base game of without having to look at every one of them. I got 100+. The check mark as it currently is completely useless.

Ranks are fine how they are, end of subject

Yes, I agree, the ranks shouldn't be changed, but please do see some posts above.

Edited by MMDE

PNRULLn.png

sx2fp.png

1. I am replying to the topic of the thread, not the screeds of nonsense that has hijacked it.

2. No one cares, and no one should care, about base game vs. completion. A games trophy list is either complete or not.

3. The platinum symbol means you have earned a platinum. Thats it - its not an indication of completion, and many of us feel that a platinum without completing the game is worthless - if there is a percentage shown anywhere in life it is universally understood that 100% is the top, and anything else is inferior.

4. Who cares what percentage you have/ rank you have/ excuses you have/ symbols you have for a game that is not complete? Incomplete is incomplete.

5. Just because we disagree with you does not mean that we have not read he thread and understood the points made. I am doing all three at once - reading, understanding and disagreeing.

• Like 1

1. I am replying to the topic of the thread, not the screeds of nonsense that has hijacked it.

2. No one cares, and no one should care, about base game vs. completion. A games trophy list is either complete or not.

3. The platinum symbol means you have earned a platinum. Thats it - its not an indication of completion, and many of us feel that a platinum without completing the game is worthless - if there is a percentage shown anywhere in life it is universally understood that 100% is the top, and anything else is inferior.

4. Who cares what percentage you have/ rank you have/ excuses you have/ symbols you have for a game that is not complete? Incomplete is incomplete.

5. Just because we disagree with you does not mean that we have not read he thread and understood the points made. I am doing all three at once - reading, understanding and disagreeing.

1. It's not "hi-jacked", it was the initial point of the thread opener. They have said so themselves, but a better solution has been suggested to solve the problem. Did you actually read the entire thread?

2. I don't care about the completion all that much, and you can tell the completion by the %, no need for the checkmark or the platinum trophy for that. The platinum trophy icon is nice to see if you've 100% the base game for a game with platinum, the same should be case for PSN games. If you wonder about if someone has 100% a game, you can tell that by the %, so the checkmark would be a completely useless indicator of such. The platinum icon is not totally useless if completion is what you're looking at, as it adds the information that it's a game with a platinum.

3. Yup, it's not an indication of completion, only that you've 100% the base game for a game with platinum and that the game has a platinum. You can tell the completion by the %.

4. Let's leave the completion of the game and the DLCs to the %.

5. Why did I assume people didn't get it, because for the first 20+ posts people didn't get the idea. What they suggested also didn't work all that well, and seeing how many who actually agreed that it was a rather good idea to change the check mark, and the fact that people didn't even refer to this, makes it very likely they hadn't even read this. If you want, I will make a new thread for it. Also, telling by the fact that you think it was "hi-jacked", one does get the impression that you probably didn't read the entire thing either.

Edited by MMDE