Comments & Critique Center

cmgravekeeper

Ok 1st blood",

Here's the newest signature I'm working now(animated), Any critiques are welcome",

Older version:

wmPOe8a.gif

Newer version:

THVx7eO.gif

First off, looks cool, so I like it!

Now, it's been a while since I've looked at a signature or any piece of artwork in a critical point of view, though I believe this is in a sort of different catrgory, since it's animated and all. Now, for the actual CnC!

Overall, in terms of colors go, I have a very slight preference for the first one. The green wasn't a bad touch, but where it was implemented could've been executed better. Maybe make it the outside ring around the blue one, just to make it slightly more eye catching. As for composition, the character could've been placed a tad to the right on both versions, especially the newest version, maybe overlapping the text ever so slightly. (Won't comment on text, I'm too out-of-touch with it, I like the older version better on that aspect.) I see a white border around the character render, which is one of the dreaded things that's always best to avoid, as it destroys a good bit of any sense of depth that was created or perceived. 

Now, on a lighter note, the orb on the background are both very nice, both having some cool effects behind the focal point (the character, in this case) to focus on the eye more on the character. The effects on the floors are cool, a bit distracting from the focal, but still nice. Blue, yellow, and orange isn't a bad color scheme, especially since blue and orange are complementary colors. The animations are very smooth, the first and last frames aren't very well defined, which is a good thing, as it feels more like a loop that way rather than a choppy gif.

Overall, as I said, looks cool, and nice job overall on the animations and doing some cool things with it! Keep  up the good work!

Now, for my piece.

PjCOxlw.png

This was my last sig before my half-year hiatus, and even before that I've had a number of hiatuses! I can already see some of the flaws here, but I want to hear what you guys can come up with! :D

• Like 3

First off, looks cool, so I like it!

Now, it's been a while since I've looked at a signature or any piece of artwork in a critical point of view, though I believe this is in a sort of different catrgory, since it's animated and all. Now, for the actual CnC!

Overall, in terms of colors go, I have a very slight preference for the first one. The green wasn't a bad touch, but where it was implemented could've been executed better. Maybe make it the outside ring around the blue one, just to make it slightly more eye catching. As for composition, the character could've been placed a tad to the right on both versions, especially the newest version, maybe overlapping the text ever so slightly. (Won't comment on text, I'm too out-of-touch with it, I like the older version better on that aspect.) I see a white border around the character render, which is one of the dreaded things that's always best to avoid, as it destroys a good bit of any sense of depth that was created or perceived. 

Now, on a lighter note, the orb on the background are both very nice, both having some cool effects behind the focal point (the character, in this case) to focus on the eye more on the character. The effects on the floors are cool, a bit distracting from the focal, but still nice. Blue, yellow, and orange isn't a bad color scheme, especially since blue and orange are complementary colors. The animations are very smooth, the first and last frames aren't very well defined, which is a good thing, as it feels more like a loop that way rather than a choppy gif.

Overall, as I said, looks cool, and nice job overall on the animations and doing some cool things with it! Keep  up the good work!

Now, for my piece.

PjCOxlw.png

This was my last sig before my half-year hiatus, and even before that I've had a number of hiatuses! I can already see some of the flaws here, but I want to hear what you guys can come up with! :D

Copy that, I'll try it although removing the white edge on the main render is hard because i'm going to do it layer by layer". 

anyway, Thanks for the comment", 

Comments on the sig you made was I found that some part of your typography aren't readable! Lack of effects & sharpness/levels. Speaking of effects, maybe try putting some small particles with glow on the outer most layer but overall the sig is neat",

• Like 1

Copy that, I'll try it although removing the white edge on the main render is hard because i'm going to do it layer by layer". 

anyway, Thanks for the comment", 

Comments on the sig you made was I found that some part of your typography aren't readable! Lack of effects & sharpness/levels. Speaking of effects, maybe try putting some small particles with glow on the outer most layer but overall the sig is neat",

The "clear" text is meant to be illegible, for style purposes really (still isn't the best lookin' text I've done, I admit). Still, appreciate the input! When I get back to making sigs, which hopefully will be soon, I'll make sure to pay some attention to details and make sure I didn't forget too many fundamentals!  :D

• Like 1

The quotes aren't supposed to be readable, it's just for style.

For me the outermost layer or nearest to the surface should be readable just like this her latest work I know. It's a good style if the texts are in the right layer.

RNIsb0X.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

For me the outermost layer or nearest to the surface should be readable just like this her latest work I know. It's a good style if the texts are in the right layer.

RNIsb0X.png

A few comments on this one

1. There's more focus on the background than on the render, work on that

2. Choice in colors is very nice and the text has this certain look to it that is very pleasing to the eye (with the exception of the font used with " alice " )

3. Not a fan of the reflection on the bottom, but I guess that's just personal taste.

How long ago did you start ? Your work is very nice, keep it up.

yQKDvnt.png

I rarely do verts so I'm willing to take any kind of criticism.

• Like 4

yQKDvnt.png

It's really good in my opinion. You did a great job with the blur on the down half of the signature and the text is great too. But i think that the left corner is too empty. Maybe try adding a c4d or a brush. Well that's just me though. Hope i helped a bit.

• Like 1

yQKDvnt.png

Vertical tags, by their nature, are more difficult to pull off - you don't have as much space to work with as far as composition goes - compared to landscape. The rule of thirds becomes a lot more narrow, and you end up seeing a lot more of the entire render, so you have more to deal with, flow-wise.

I've actually only done 3, total, myself.

Here's the first:

cQ3Ai.png

And here's the last:

qSABR.png

The second I try to forget exists because it's an affront to mankind.

Overall, this was handled pretty well. It's nicely balanced, and nothing is perfectly centered. I do think the blur might be a *little* heavy - but that's a personal taste thing. I especially like the colors and the text.

I, personally, haven't done a lot of signatures recently - maybe a request here and there, and a personal tag every once in a blue moon as of late. My work has become a lot more subtle, too, I've noticed. These two most recent tags were trying something new - mainly experimenting with chromatic aberration - an effect that I actually really like, and have been seeing a lot more of in a lot of games, lately.

So, here's the first - a request for Snake here on the boards -

009D4Oj.png

And my latest personal one -

y3h5a9j.png

• Like 2

I, personally, haven't done a lot of signatures recently - maybe a request here and there, and a personal tag every once in a blue moon as of late. My work has become a lot more subtle, too, I've noticed. These two most recent tags were trying something new - mainly experimenting with chromatic aberration - an effect that I actually really like, and have been seeing a lot more of in a lot of games, lately.

So, here's the first - a request for Snake here on the boards -

009D4Oj.png

And my latest personal one -

y3h5a9j.png

@_@ You have a lot of experience on signatures and i'm not sure if i can find something. The only thing that i knew from the things you said it's the rule of thirds ^_^ Anyway on the signature now. At first i thought that the text on both of them was blur but now that i see it better it's like 3D right? I find it really amazing work. You haven't used a lot of c4d but the signatures still look amazing. You must have worked with smudge and some lighting effects right? Also the only thing that i can see that you need is a border. I think that adding a border on a signature always makes it a bit better.Well hope i helped ^_^

This is my latest signature. I made this a bit quick but it came out good at the end ^_^ I have 2 problems and i would love if someone would help me. The first problem is one that i have always when i start making a signature. The background. I can't find a decent picture as background but in my last signatures i decided to use only c4d as my background just as this one. Still it takes me a lot of time to find the proper c4d. I might spend an hour just for the background. Is this happening to everyone else too or is it just me? Also the second problem is referring more on this signature. I read that the text can improve a lot your signature or even make it worse. In my case i think it's the second. Can anyone suggest me what to do with my text here? Thanks for reading this.

Venom.png

Edited by Burst
  • Like 1

A few comments on this one

1. There's more focus on the background than on the render, work on that

2. Choice in colors is very nice and the text has this certain look to it that is very pleasing to the eye (with the exception of the font used with " alice " )

3. Not a fan of the reflection on the bottom, but I guess that's just personal taste.

How long ago did you start ? Your work is very nice, keep it up.

Hehe that's actually not mine, only an example probably a style to fit the prev critique", that sig is from a hospitable friend",

I started graphic since 2008 but not that active. I mostly stopped several months or even a year due to boredom & lost of inspirations"

Critique on this,

yQKDvnt.png

maybe try to make it clear meaning remove the outer most filter & lessen those blurry parts i guess hehe", but really nice",

---

Critique on this,

Venom.png

Color scheme was so specific! maybe try to blend it with standout colors & try to imagine those light source what are their roles(hard for me to explain hehe",) but well blended",

---

btw, I'm not totally a fan of static images so here are some of my noob works ready to be humiliated", 

V04nNJF.jpg

VmUcX76.png

WKpxblA.jpg

Larger piece",

49wfFUF.jpg
Edited by ReverzerO-
  • Like 1

@_@ You have a lot of experience on signatures and i'm not sure if i can find something. The only thing that i knew from the things you said it's the rule of thirds ^_^ Anyway on the signature now. At first i thought that the text on both of them was blur but now that i see it better it's like 3D right? I find it really amazing work. You haven't used a lot of c4d but the signatures still look amazing. You must have worked with smudge and some lighting effects right? Also the only thing that i can see that you need is a border. I think that adding a border on a signature always makes it a bit better.Well hope i helped ^_^

This is my latest signature. I made this a bit quick but it came out good at the end ^_^ I have 2 problems and i would love if someone would help me. The first problem is one that i have always when i start making a signature. The background. I can't find a decent picture as background but in my last signatures i decided to use only c4d as my background just as this one. Still it takes me a lot of time to find the proper c4d. I might spend an hour just for the background. Is this happening to everyone else too or is it just me? Also the second problem is referring more on this signature. I read that the text can improve a lot your signature or even make it worse. In my case i think it's the second. Can anyone suggest me what to do with my text here? Thanks for reading this.

Venom.png

Probably one of your best signatures yet.  About the only thing off about it is the text, you could probably find a better way to blend that in, it also has very sharp edges, make sure to use "Smooth" as your setting for your text.  The font you used for Venom suits the signature, but the font for the quote doesn't, I feel it would look better without the quote and Venom just being there.  Overall, the rest of the signature looks great.  You did good with the blending and lighting.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Venom.png

Was gonna head to bed, but I found this thread again, so I might as well make my input useful!\

I agree with DEMON on this one, especially on the note about text. The main problem is the placement for me, I think somewhere closer to your focal would be better, but also making it smaller, but still legible so it's not as distracting. I say for the composition you have going on, I'd place it somewhere lower, at his left (our right) shoulder level, and like was said before, the quote font doesn't work. something smaller, and possibly in a different color that works with the sig would be best. The white outline for the subtext might not work either, but on the "Venom" text, its fine. Sharpness on the text is also an issue as well, as was mentioned already. 

I also think Venom himself was a tad oversharpened, but not too much to make it a big problem, but watch for that. 

Aside from text, you did a nice job with blending the sig in. Colors work, depth is there, and lighting's done well too. I think you did a solid job on working the effects, but I think a little more flow would make it look even nicer, and a bit neater as well. Of course it isn't the most crucial element to a sig (and sometimes not even necessary), sometimes a bit of flow helps give a sig a bit of direction, and that always gets bonus points for me!

Now in regards to your background problems, sometimes I found it useful to make a background from scratch, find a color that works with your render, and do as you wish! I often times do simple smudges on mine. Other times, I use stocks instead of a render, so I already have a background to work with and add to. Those are sometimes more difficult to work with, but try making sigs with stocks instead of renders! Here's an example of one I used recently: I used this one on the sig I posted below. Not the best quality, but it worked for the size I was going for.

So all in all, nice job! Just keep practicing on text. It's actually very difficult to get the hang of, and even I still struggle with it at times!

btw, I'm not totally a fan of static images so here are some of my noob works ready to be humiliated", 

V04nNJF.jpg

VmUcX76.png

WKpxblA.jpg

Larger piece",

49wfFUF.jpg

**cracks knuckles**  :devil:

1st piece: Cool effects, but add a bit of something to the foreground, it makes a sig a bit less empty that way, even if it's subtle. It also helps with blending. The background is nice too. The biggest thing is that the canvas size leaves the piece with alot of empty space. Fill it up with more effects, and move the character over to the left some (don't center it!). Because it's to far to the right, it doesn't help the extra empty space that you left yourself with.

2nd piece: Lovin' the canvas shape, not too often do I see that in sigs, so nice job! The text would probably benefit if it was closer to the character, just so it isn't as distracting from your focal. Cool stuff going on overall, but the character could get moved more to the left, just like the first piece, but not centered.

3rd piece: I think out of the three, this is your best one. I like the text in the background, the effects all around, the colors, and the placement of the character. I think you could do more, though. Not exactly how you could execute that, maybe a bit more lightning effects and a subtle light source that works with the character. I also think your character choice is small. Make her a bit bigger so you have a little less empty space to work with, and sharpen her a bit, well, mostly her face anyway.

Big piece: Move the text closer to Link. The text work isn't bad, but where it's placed now, it's very distracting from Link, who's the main focus of this piece (that's what a focal is, just making sure!) The C4D used on this one was well done, helps him blend in to the scene, but you could blur the C4D behind him some, and the background a little more to help with depth. Also, play around with lighting, it's a fun thing to get the hang of (while frustrating at other points), a nice light source that works with him would add to this piece well. Also, I know you like the part on the right, but otherwise, the space is pretty empty, could just be canvas size though. 

Overall, nice work on all of them, keep it up! :D

Now, it's my turn to post something. Let me know what you think!

zCNhCKq.png

0FYlz7Y.png

Qf2H9fz.png

Mind you, all except for the Ratchet one were requests, so I had to work under a few limits. Other then that, tear 'em apart with your input!  :D

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Was gonna head to bed, but I found this thread again, so I might as well make my input useful!\

I agree with DEMON on this one, especially on the note about text. The main problem is the placement for me, I think somewhere closer to your focal would be better, but also making it smaller, but still legible so it's not as distracting. I say for the composition you have going on, I'd place it somewhere lower, at his left (our right) shoulder level, and like was said before, the quote font doesn't work. something smaller, and possibly in a different color that works with the sig would be best. The white outline for the subtext might not work either, but on the "Venom" text, its fine. Sharpness on the text is also an issue as well, as was mentioned already. 

I also think Venom himself was a tad oversharpened, but not too much to make it a big problem, but watch for that. 

Aside from text, you did a nice job with blending the sig in. Colors work, depth is there, and lighting's done well too. I think you did a solid job on working the effects, but I think a little more flow would make it look even nicer, and a bit neater as well. Of course it isn't the most crucial element to a sig (and sometimes not even necessary), sometimes a bit of flow helps give a sig a bit of direction, and that always gets bonus points for me!

Now in regards to your background problems, sometimes I found it useful to make a background from scratch, find a color that works with your render, and do as you wish! I often times do simple smudges on mine. Other times, I use stocks instead of a render, so I already have a background to work with and add to. Those are sometimes more difficult to work with, but try making sigs with stocks instead of renders! Here's an example of one I used recently: I used this one on the sig I posted below. Not the best quality, but it worked for the size I was going for.

So all in all, nice job! Just keep practicing on text. It's actually very difficult to get the hang of, and even I still struggle with it at times!

**cracks knuckles**  :devil:

1st piece: Cool effects, but add a bit of something to the foreground, it makes a sig a bit less empty that way, even if it's subtle. It also helps with blending. The background is nice too. The biggest thing is that the canvas size leaves the piece with alot of empty space. Fill it up with more effects, and move the character over to the left some (don't center it!). Because it's to far to the right, it doesn't help the extra empty space that you left yourself with.

2nd piece: Lovin' the canvas shape, not too often do I see that in sigs, so nice job! The text would probably benefit if it was closer to the character, just so it isn't as distracting from your focal. Cool stuff going on overall, but the character could get moved more to the left, just like the first piece, but not centered.

3rd piece: I think out of the three, this is your best one. I like the text in the background, the effects all around, the colors, and the placement of the character. I think you could do more, though. Not exactly how you could execute that, maybe a bit more lightning effects and a subtle light source that works with the character. I also think your character choice is small. Make her a bit bigger so you have a little less empty space to work with, and sharpen her a bit, well, mostly her face anyway.

Big piece: Move the text closer to Link. The text work isn't bad, but where it's placed now, it's very distracting from Link, who's the main focus of this piece (that's what a focal is, just making sure!) The C4D used on this one was well done, helps him blend in to the scene, but you could blur the C4D behind him some, and the background a little more to help with depth. Also, play around with lighting, it's a fun thing to get the hang of (while frustrating at other points), a nice light source that works with him would add to this piece well. Also, I know you like the part on the right, but otherwise, the space is pretty empty, could just be canvas size though. 

Overall, nice work on all of them, keep it up! :D

Now, it's my turn to post something. Let me know what you think!

zCNhCKq.png

0FYlz7Y.png

Qf2H9fz.png

Mind you, all except for the Ratchet one were requests, so I had to work under a few limits. Other then that, tear 'em apart with your input!  :D

my 1st sig is a request piece. that's actually a flat image i colored not using the gradient. i wonder the receiver was so happy that time!

the 2nd sig,, i only  use 1 image on that. no brushes, c4d or etc.

the 3rd sig was made using c4d app and done using ps. maybe i'll try to sharpen as'ka later", thanks for the critique anyway",

and yours 1st of all has a good blending. the typo are nice but they'll the same style. the 1st and 3rd was simply made but 2nd was more systematic but it seems i think i saw sometime similar with especially the bg on this site!

try also make some different styles but not copy or depend on tutorials! 

btw, it get me hard time to encode using vita and not sure if the blending of images are the same with pc!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I wanted to get some critique on this checklist banner I'm making. I know it's not very flashy, I just want something plain, still working on the title, feel free to help me out with that aswell :P

velvet.png

Edited a little bit.

P4_Gvr.png

I have this one as well which I'll be using. 

99059_iz.png

Edited by Venocide
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to get some critique on this checklist banner I'm making. I know it's not very flashy, I just want something plain, still working on the title, feel free to help me out with that aswell :P

Edited a little bit.

I have this one as well which I'll be using. 

For your "Welcome to the Trophy Room" banner, I think your text is fine and works with the render. However it feels like you just put the render on a background. It doesn't blend in enough in my opinion. Either gently erase the edges of the render? Or do some smudging? Or even add some c4d's to make it look more engaged into the background.

The lighting in the first banner is better in my opinion. This may just be taste, but I feel the 2nd version is too bright it brings the focus to the middle part of the background instead of the text or render. Background should not stand out more than the render and text.

Another thing, your trophies in the background either stand out too much or not enough. Decrease the opacity a little in version 1. My opinion is that the platinum should be in the front, or at least more visible. Maybe you should make the trophies in front of the plat a little smaller?

The lighting reflected on the render does not match the lighting throughout the banner. You have a great light source in the middle of the background. Make the most of it. Making the light source work with the background will also help engage the render into the background more.

One thing you can do the the text actually is add an outer white/neon blue glow so that it stands out a little more. The blue text with the blue background make the text a little hard to read.

You're going the right track here, but a few small stuff here and there will make your banner really great.

There's not much to criticize with the popout banner "Venocide's Trophy Checklist". I like the text. Only thing I'd say is maybe have the sword going over some text maybe? It would make the render stand out a bit more? Also if we look at color only, the render is outlined in red while the text is outlined in green. If they matched colors that would look really nice.
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Any improvements and constructive criticism would be appreciated. Especially on how to decide a background that fits nicely with an image.

0GfTvjo.jpg

I really like this one.  The text you did with Dragons is really spot on and the blending with the flames is good.  It might be better if you push the other text up a bit, and have it blended too (but have it a lot smaller).  It looks kind of weird there honestly.

xKyUf0o.jpg

I'm personally not a fan of this.  There's weird random upwards lines at the bottom but they are not in the top.  I can see what you intended to do with the blue bits, but that needs to be done better for it to work, it's not blended in so it doesn't really look connected to me.

• Like 2

I really like this one.  The text you did with Dragons is really spot on and the blending with the flames is good.  It might be better if you push the other text up a bit, and have it blended too (but have it a lot smaller).  It looks kind of weird there honestly.

I'm personally not a fan of this.  There's weird random upwards lines at the bottom but they are not in the top.  I can see what you intended to do with the blue bits, but that needs to be done better for it to work, it's not blended in so it doesn't really look connected to me.

Thnx for the feedback, much appreciated :D. I'll give it a shot.

As for the upward lines in the second image, that was supposed to be shadows cast by the light at the top. How can the blue bits be done better?

• Like 1

Thnx for the feedback, much appreciated :D. I'll give it a shot.

As for the upward lines in the second image, that was supposed to be shadows cast by the light at the top. How can the blue bits be done better?

Couldn't find the exact style you were trying to do (there is probably more tutorials on DeviantART though, I just did a quick google search), but this seems to work plus, you can add more to it if you wanted: http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/grungy-metal-text-photoshop--psd-11182

• Like 2

Couldn't find the exact style you were trying to do (there is probably more tutorials on DeviantART though, I just did a quick google search), but this seems to work plus, you can add more to it if you wanted: http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/grungy-metal-text-photoshop--psd-11182

That's a great tutorial, I'll see if I can do that using Gimp. The style I had in mind was a metal-looking text where parts were cut off, revealing the neon. Guess it didn't work out as planned :P.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

efe975ebb9.png

Looking for critique with this.  Recently started using more C4D and want to know if I'm doing it right or not.

Edit; With critique I already received about the focal point, I upped the brightness/contrast a little and added a bit of dodge tool to his face mask to get more defined highlights there.  Don't know if it makes it any better or worst which is why I'm keeping the original here.  I feel like it does make the focal point pop out a little more now though.

60bf3cb61b.png

Edit; A third revision. :l

74997dac30.png

Edited by DEMON
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'd appreciate any comments and critiques of this. I was gonna enter it into the SOTM, but it didn't fit the theme.

O6TGLHw.png

Below was my first attempted version. It felt a little too simple so I added the background and a few effects.

5ibcSub.png

If it helps to give me advice, this was the render I used.

Edited by B-Brawl3r
  • Like 1