Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SlyGamer-YT

Sympathy to the Templar cause?

17 posts in this topic

Now that you've played this game, and learned of Shay's story. Does it (for you, in any way) generate some kind of sympathy to the Templar cause. Now that we have had an entire in depth look into how Templar's operate and have a deeper understanding of their goals in contrast to the Assassin's, whom have had most of the glory until now.

I feel as if it does bring new light and evens out both sides in terms of who is evil, and who is not. While the Templar's can still be considered to some as an evil, almost terrorist organization. In a way they did help save the world.

It's really interesting to see first hand what learning the other side of the story can do to change ones opinion.

No, I don't care what they did. Just because they saved the world once doesn't change the fact that their mission is to control the world through the suppression of free choice. They saved the world because if it was gone, they'd have nothing to control. In a real world example, it's like when al Qaeda spoke up one time to say the deeds ISIS was committing was damaging the militant cause. al Qaeda said ISIS was too extreme.  :blink: That even al Qaeda has a limit even they won't cross doesn't change the fact they're evil fucking people.

Edited by damon8r351

No, I don't care what they did. Just because they saved the world once doesn't change the fact that their mission is to control the world through the suppression of free choice. They saved the world because if it was gone, they'd have nothing to control. In a real world example, it's like when al Qaeda spoke up one time to say the deeds ISIS was committing was damaging the militant cause. al Qaeda said ISIS was too extreme.  :blink: That even al Qaeda has a limit even they won't cross doesn't change the fact they're evil fucking people.

Aye, but they didn't save the world, directly, they unwillingly did.

Desmond, after being abducted by Abstergo was able to live his ancestors lives. This launched him directly into the Assassin regime. Using the animus to find the keys to the temple (the apple and the amulet), he was able to stop the almost inevitable end of the world.

The Templars had a different plan which the Apple of Eden showed [to Desmond] wouldn't of worked at the end of Brotherhood (during the act of killing Lucy, who would've betrayed them).

Aye, but they didn't save the world, directly, they unwillingly did.

Desmond, after being abducted by Abstergo was able to live his ancestors lives. This launched him directly into the Assassin regime. Using the animus to find the keys to the temple (the apple and the amulet), he was able to stop the almost inevitable end of the world.

The Templars had a different plan which the Apple of Eden showed [to Desmond] wouldn't of worked at the end of Brotherhood (during the act of killing Lucy, who would've betrayed them).

We can't forget that it was Juno telling us that Lucy was truly a templar, Juno the crazy who Desmond allied with and later tries to come back into her body via the next world's Internet. I've forever been doubtful about Lucy and what Juno says of her and, in fact, when I read through the AC Encyclopedia (the most recent one which is not all too recent), it doesn't mention Lucy actually being a double-agent. She was an assassin to the end...in official lore. Either way, I wouldn't trust Juno at all.

As for the story, I think it shows us that the two factions are different sides of the same coin. Just look at the opening logo to Rogue and you'll see that the Assassin's symbol is not that far removed from the Templar one. Rogue made me pause in thinking that the Assassin's were always good and justified; now they are just another part in a war that is not as one-sided as we were shown during the Desmond games. It's like reading a novel about the other side in a long-ago conflict, ie French reading a German book on WWI or something. Everyone had the same desires, aims, and overall brain-washing of imperial power but, in the end, they were fighting for the same relative cause. For the Templars and Assassin's, both want peace, just through different means.

(Note: simplifying WWI history here)

It's interesting to see the story from the other side, but I'm not all that sympathetic to their cause due to their motivations and methods shown throughout the franchise.

We can't forget that it was Juno telling us that Lucy was truly a templar, Juno the crazy who Desmond allied with and later tries to come back into her body via the next world's Internet. I've forever been doubtful about Lucy and what Juno says of her and, in fact, when I read through the AC Encyclopedia (the most recent one which is not all too recent), it doesn't mention Lucy actually being a double-agent. She was an assassin to the end...in official lore. Either way, I wouldn't trust Juno at all.

The Lost Archive DLC for Revelations, however, confirms Lucy had indeed been turned to the Templar side.

The truth is, whatever story arc they had planned with Lucy had to be cut short because Kristen Bell's filming schedule at the time was too busy for her to continue playing the role.

I remember in Brotherhood, if you explored Monteriggioni in eagle vision there'd be a trail of red that would lead up to and abruptly end where Lucy was standing. Many interpreted that as hinting to Lucy being a double-agent, which was intriguing but hardly points to any evidence. If they hadn't killed her off, would they have delved into this question further? Would her intentions be made more explicit? So much untapped potential. It seems like almost everything about AC's initial plot set-up went down the drain after most of the core staff of the first two games either stopped working on the series or left Ubisoft altogether, and it really shows with how they're scrambling to make some kind of present-day story with what's left after the ending of AC3 (which, iirc, was intended to be the last of the series)

Edited by l_eden_l

True freedom without order is chaos. Governance under strict rule is oppression. Therefore, both causes are terrible. Shay wasn't so much a Templar as he was anti-Assassin, which is why he was the most rational of all the protags.

Every time the game, any game, all of the games are interrupted by The Brit and Nerd Grrl Show, telling me to collect fragments so they can fight the big bad Templars because #revolution, I hate the assassins that much more. At least the Templars condescend and laugh at the assassins who really think their cause is that much nobler. As bad as a future directed by their cause would be, they acknolwedge that an assassin with too much power is just a templar with a different belt buckle. Weapons that can harm the planet will harm the planet, no matter who's controlling them. Shay saw this firsthand and decided that neither group is deserving of having that much power. It's never as simple as a matter of good vs. evil, especially when humans with their own understanding of events end up on a side they never chose. To the Templars, the Assassins are misguided rebellious children who live to undermine the work of intrepid people. To the Assassins, the Templars are a group of evil dictators who will stop at nothing to mold the world into something they can control. In other words, the worst of both sides of Occupy Wall Street - burnouts at Coachella who complain about the bourgoisie and their rich dads, yelling at them to grow up. I kinda hate them both.

As for the story, I think it shows us that the two factions are different sides of the same coin. Just look at the opening logo to Rogue and you'll see that the Assassin's symbol is not that far removed from the Templar one. Rogue made me pause in thinking that the Assassin's were always good and justified; now they are just another part in a war that is not as one-sided as we were shown during the Desmond games. It's like reading a novel about the other side in a long-ago conflict, ie French reading a German book on WWI or something. Everyone had the same desires, aims, and overall brain-washing of imperial power but, in the end, they were fighting for the same relative cause. For the Templars and Assassin's, both want peace, just through different means.

(Note: simplifying WWI history here)

Juno wants to absorb everyone into a single conscience, hers of course.  Assasins want freedom, but at the cost of chaos, Templars want order, but at the cost of enslavement.  Both want peace so to speak.  

and no one pointed out that shay was an assassin but t the first sign that something was wrong completely went nuts disavowed his brotherhood and killed several, joined the templars because he ws angry at 1 guy in the brotherhood went on and even tho he saw the evil the templars did he kept on he even killed his friends who for the most prt actually kinda agreed and sympathized with him all because the tempalrs said to do it. then later on he saw the true evil in the templars the massive evil they was causing onto the world and he kept on even after finding out he was on the wrong side doing exactly what he had accused the assassins of doing the very acts he had left them over.

i love the assassins creed games ive played them all i know neither side is perfect but templars are truely evil and do whatever it costs to further there power while assassins do just enough to try to maintain a balance sure in certain eras assassins became almost as bad as the templars and it took 1 or afew to throw down the order and rebuild it to be better the templrs never changed they are still corrupt atleast with the assassins they try to fix themselves when they become to powerful  ie arno,and altier

or rebuild it when its dying ie ezio and connar

but really after seeing shays story all i see is a man who never was good in the first place he tried at first but the moment he got scared he went to the darkside giving the reason was his brothers where bad guys but honesty its an excuse shay was never good he commited acts of murder, and chos and dmage far worse as a templar thn he ever did as an assassin and he saw nothing wrong in it 

so my opinion is shay is  bad exmple of an assassin and a templar its like putting hannibal lecter in the power rangers then having him quit and join bulk and skull the dudes not right for either the guys just plain messed up 

Guys, i am really into assassins creed story, but all these events after Desmond games got me confused. Does anyone knows full story explanation or something and where can i find it? ty

I've always preferred the Templars to the Assassins, not just after finishing this game. When it comes to killing to aid their cause, there's really no difference between those two factions. Each of them believe they're doing the right thing and make the other one look like the bad guy.

Interestingly enough,  there hasn't been a Templar who betrayed their own, only Assassins (I don't count Germain from AC Unity into this because he's a Sage and not really a Templar).

The real "bad guy" in the universe are the Precursor Race/Sage imo.

mankind was made to rule, removing said aspect from our lives will only lead to anarchy and debauchery. it's not as if the templars want to control EVERY move you make. they just want to be able to pull the strings from above, for the greater good. you'd still have the ability to make choices, albeit in a tighter spectrum. i've never been able to sympathize with the assassin cause despite enjoying the games, so i'm glad rogue came out as it offers a very different perspective from what we're used to. storywise, this is my favourite assassin's creed game.

I'm not a fan of the SJW agenda and political correctness so I sympathize with the Templers.

Templars and Assassins are both extremes. That being said, I would side with the assassins.

The Templars want to use the precursor artifacts to 'rule' the world by obliterating free will and keeping everyone in line as mindless, thoughtless drones. The Brotherhood Of Assassins is basically an anti-Templar organisation, existing only to undermine the Templars. The Brotherhood says freedom of choice is important, yet they never seem to actually share any of the information they find themselves with the public... Hmmmm.

I'm playing through Rogue again now to get the platinum. Played Rogue when it was released on X360, once I had a PS3 and had gotten rid of my X360 I bought Rogue again for PS3. Before the game was released I figured it would be a "villain episode" but the game makes a very good point about some of the bad stuff the assassins did.

depending on what time or era you lived in one extremist group will try destorying the world through ignorance. The templar try to keep the world the way it is peaceful. The assassin try to keep people liberated from oppression. Both are needed but both are doomed factions to side with if they win.

Really it just shows there can be good/well meaning templars and bad/misguided assassins which does add depth to both sides.

Considering when you boil it down the templar cause is still about control and order I do not sympathize with their cause but only with specific templars.