Thoughts on Axiom Verge trophy set

DarknessKey92

1Ld9ebc2.png

So yup the game holds a platinum(like many asked the developer if it did), and so far the trophy set holds a Metroid kind of feel as well.

With the collecting 100 Percent on both collectibles & Map.

The only thing I can find a bit hard is:

1. Hard mode
  2. No Dying
  3. Under 4 hours Speed run

Playthroughs...but perhaps all are stackable.

With the under 4 hours run trophy, the game could be fairly short(which is kinda good IMO).

Edited by DarknessKey92

The trophy set is looking real nice! I was huge fan of Castlevania: SofN and Metroid Prime: Fusion, so this game is going to be purchased day one! Would have been disappointed with a lesser demanding trophy set. I also would not mind a new 2D Metroid and Castlevania in retro style :P

What is the difference between beat the game in 4 hours and beat it in speed runner mode?

I assume Speed Runner Mode will just be a seperate mode that tracks your time on the leaderboards.

Maybe it displays your game time constantly on the screen while playing.

It looks very similar to a lot of Metroidvania trophy lists to me. Not a bad thing. In particular, it made me think of the game Shadow Complex on the XBLA. That game had a few well hidden short-cuts that would allow you to complete the game in about 15 minutes if you were good enough. This game might have similar, deliberate exploits for people to find?

With the under 4 hours run trophy, the game could be fairly short(which is kinda good IMO).

I'm betting that's just running through the game, doing nothing but completing it, and probably by far easiest to do on easy.

I'm not all that keen on multiple playthroughs, speed run trophies (if not well done like New n Tasty was), or hard playthrough trophies etc. Just think those trophies are boring and annoying, and just generally turn me off starting to play the game. I usually very much like the do everything / get everything 100% in the game trophies, unless it depends on a lot of luck based stuff. Especially bad if luck + hard, because that's just annoying and frustrating.

I guess I will hold off from this game at launch, and wait and see how hard or annoying people find this game to be.

What is the difference between beat the game in 4 hours and beat it in speed runner mode?

Speed Run mode is a separate mode without cutscenes, dialogue, etc. However, the biggest change are the level layouts. In the normal game, levels and secret areas are generated at random. This would be detrimental to a speedrunner so in Speed Run mode the layouts and areas are always generated based on the same value for every player.

It looks very similar to a lot of Metroidvania trophy lists to me. Not a bad thing. In particular, it made me think of the game Shadow Complex on the XBLA. That game had a few well hidden short-cuts that would allow you to complete the game in about 15 minutes if you were good enough. This game might have similar, deliberate exploits for people to find?

Shadow Complex immediately came to mind to me as well when I saw Axiom Verge's list, it's a shame that was X360 exclusive though, it was a good game. As for this list, I agree, it looks like your standard Metroidvania fare, which is a good thing for me too, hopefully it's at least as difficult as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was.

There are hardly any 2D Metroid/Castlevania games on the PSN, so there really isn't much of a sample to compare this with. Out of all the games I've played, I would say Guacamelee! and Dust are the only games that qualify.

The "speedrun" trophy merely confirms that the game can be completed within four hours. Many games have such trophies. Some are easily earned. Some require a near perfect play through in order to make it on time. We'll see how much content the game actually has soon enough. 

I like "Low %" though. I haven't seen a trophy like that before.

Yeah, I'm a little confused by the references to a "standard Metroidvania" list... For such a beloved format it's seriously absent (with a small handful of exceptions) from the past 2 console gens... Low % IS very exciting. It means the devs are actually in touch with modern gaming, i.e. low percentage runs being a standard of modern speed run communities.. This sounds really exciting!!

P.S. Wanna hype 16-bit Metroidvania? Go buy Demon's Crest in the Nintendo Store.. Health containers, items, spells, power-ups, transformations, multiple route stages, 4 endings based on completion.... It's great!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the PS Store right now and its only listed for the PS4. Isn't it supposed to be a cross-buy?

I think it releases first for PS4, with the Vita version being release later. It is a cross-buy though, so if you buy it now you can use it for Vita when it comes out. Not sure about PS3. 

(From the playstation spring fever blog post near the bottom)

Edited by Elyther
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the plat today. Was super fun, I recommend getting it and going for the plat if you like metroid-vania games and don't mind a bit more backtracking exploration then usual.

I was able to get the 40% items and no death trophies done in one speedrun under 2 hours. So the plat doesn't take forever, but is enough of a challenge that it's satisfying.

• 6 months later...