Konami breakdown?

Satoshi Ookami

After for most people not really important announcement (not enough people play J-games :P) of Love Plus creator leaving Konami (source) it seemed like there's something wrong with Konami.

But no one probably expected this.

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/konami-website-updates-suggest-kojima-productions-demise

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/report-hideo-kojima-expected-to-leave-konami-after-metal-gear-solid-v

Yes, Hideo Kojima is expected to leave Konami in December when his contract expires.

Does this mean that Konami is going to bet everything on PES? 

Will we ever see any new MGS from Kojima? He did mention that he wants to settle everything in V and Japanese rarely take back their words.

Konami will be rebooting the MGS franchise after Kojima's departure. I probably won't be buying any more MGS games after Phantom Pain; Kojima is what made those games great.

Will we ever see any new MGS from Kojima? He did mention that he wants to settle everything in V and Japanese rarely take back their words.

Lol Kojima has been saying it's his last MGS since MGS2. But I definitely think this will be his last based on what is happening. 

• Like 2

Considering Konami are using an engine which is getting pre-dated, they deserve nothing but a reality check. Their movements in 7th gen is catching up to them and it shows. They still have Yugi--oh but even that's on the decline. Also giving out 720p ports to Xbox is just a joke and it shows that your company is on it's way out. 

I doubt they'll bet everything on PES. The game topped Fifa 2015 but Konami messed up by handing out a 720p port that nobody wanted. With that, they had to knock the price of the game so quickly to gain profits. 

I don't want Kojima to leave but it's what he wants. Also maybe we can get a reboot of the MG series, that series needs loving. 

And people still think MGS3 is better.

It could've had something to do with the endings of each game. MGS2 is on my shitlist of endings, but MGS3's ending was awesome.

Regarding the whole "Kojima is leaving Konami" thing: if anyone is in trouble, It's Konami.

...And Silent Hills. Well, shit...

Kojima is a known liar - he has claimed that practically every game since MGS was the last - its just his usual bullshit to try to sell more copies

Perhaps you should educate yourself on the background behind the scenes before you say silly things. Kojima wanted to end it with MGS2, it was written so that a sequel would be "impossible". Kojima never wanted to make 3 and even more so 4. When your bosses tell you to do something what are you going to do? Say no? See where that gets you, essentially where Kojima is now.

And people still think MGS3 is better.

Well most people are stupid so can you blame them? MGS3 is dumbed down, easy to understand, hence why most MGS 'fans' say it is the best. MGS2's message is even more relevant today than it was in 2001, it's amazing when you go back and listen to the Colonel's speech again how accurate it is and to think Kojima wrote it before the turn of the millennium.

Considering Konami are using an engine which is getting pre-dated, they deserve nothing but a reality check. Their movements in 7th gen is catching up to them and it shows. They still have Yugi--oh but even that's on the decline. Also giving out 720p ports to Xbox is just a joke and it shows that your company is on it's way out. 

I doubt they'll bet everything on PES. The game topped Fifa 2015 but Konami messed up by handing out a 720p port that nobody wanted. With that, they had to knock the price of the game so quickly to gain profits. 

I don't want Kojima to leave but it's what he wants. Also maybe we can get a reboot of the MG series, that series needs loving. 

You do realise the FOX engine is one of the best game engine's in the entire industry right? Unless you were referring to some metaphorical engine or something...

Edited by MrManBuz
  • Like 4

Here's my breakdown. Take it for what it is (me overanalyzing).

IGN's interview made it sound like kojima was going to start his own company and do silent hill...

On the other hand, with ads for a position, it looks like Konami is going to continue the mg series without Kojima because he was tired of milking the series and wanted to do something new (silent hill).

^If this is all true, I'd be OK with this.

Perhaps you should educate yourself on the background behind the scenes before you say silly things. Kojima wanted to end it with MGS2, it was written so that a sequel would be "impossible". Kojima never wanted to make 3 and even more so 4. When your bosses tell you to do something what are you going to do? Say no? See where that gets you, essentially where Kojima is now.

So..... You are saying my comment is silly..... Then pointing out that it is true.

If your point is that the series has been milked - i agree.

If your point is that Kojima was forced to milk it - thats ridiculous. After MGS 2 he could have done anything he wanted - you think if he told Konami to spin and left he would have been unemployed for even a day before every other publisher started tripping over eachother to sign him up with them? His star was at its absolute hight!

He wanted to keep doing MG - he must have, because he had nothing at all forcing him to against his will.

• Like 1

Kojima is a known liar - he has claimed that practically every game since MGS was the last - its just his usual bullshit to try to sell more copies

Does removing his name comes with raised sales?

On the other hand, with ads for a position, it looks like Konami is going to continue the mg series without Kojima because he was tired of milking the series and wanted to do something new (silent hill).

^If this is all true, I'd be OK with this.

Considering how P.T. was well received, it is a valid possibility.

It seems Kojima will leave, also Koji pro is no longer either. "A Hideo Kojima game" has been removed from each game on Konamis website and the MGS twitter has moved from a Koji pro one to a 'Metal gear' one.

I thought it was a PR stunt at first but after seeing the job listing from Konami about a new Metal Gear game you can get an idea of what happened, Konami wants to milk MG while Kojima said no and he was shown the door. Konami have essentially tied their own noose, without Kojima Konami are nothing. What is it with Japanese Publishers going into full retard mode? 

To be fair, Konami has always delivered great games, and it's definitely not just because of Kojima.

eh???

The FOX-engine is amazing...

So..... You are saying my comment is silly..... Then pointing out that it is true.

If your point is that the series has been milked - i agree.

If your point is that Kojima was forced to milk it - thats ridiculous. After MGS 2 he could have done anything he wanted - you think if he told Konami to spin and left he would have been unemployed for even a day before every other publisher started tripping over eachother to sign him up with them? His star was at its absolute hight!

He wanted to keep doing MG - he must have, because he had nothing at all forcing him to against his will.

MrManBuz didn't point out that what you said is true. He clearly pointed out that when you claimed that it was his usual bullshit to sell more copies, meaning that he has usually said this on purpose to sell more copies, this isn't true. There's a big difference between not wanting to do something and being forced against your will to do something... Now he's had enough with how Konami tells him to continue milk the series, and probably has money enough to do what he wants.

You do realise the FOX engine is one of the best game engine's in the entire industry right? Unless you were referring to some metaphorical engine or something...

I never said anything about the quality, I was talking about it getting pre-dated to other engines that are coming out. Also saying people are stupid just because they have opinions make you look catty. 

eh???

The FOX-engine is amazing...

MrManBuz didn't point out that what you said is true. He clearly pointed out that when you claimed that it was his usual bullshit to sell more copies, meaning that he has usually said this on purpose to sell more copies, this isn't true. There's a big difference between not wanting to do something and being forced against your will to do something... Now he's had enough with how Konami tells him to continue milk the series, and probably has money enough to do what he wants.

It's amazing but it's getting old and the current developers who hold on it are wasting it's potential. Many engines are you deferred techniques and still achieve 900p or above on both consoles. Why can't Konami do it? PES is one of their flagship international yet they mess that up. I never said the Fox engine is bad but I stand by that it's pre-dated and in Konami's hands, it will die. 

Edited by ZeroXOF

It's amazing but it's getting old and the current developers who hold on it are wasting it's potential. Many engines are you deferred techniques and still achieve 900p or above on both consoles. Why can't Konami do it? PES is one of their flagship international yet they mess that up. I never said the Fox engine is bad but I stand by that it's pre-dated and in Konami's hands, it will die. 

What are you talking about???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Engine

They starting working on it after MGS4 in 2008.

First demo of it in 2011.

First game using it was in 2013.

The FOX-Engine was used for MGSV: Ground Zeroes and P.T. (Silent Hills), and will be used for MGSV: The Phantom Pain.

Is there currently any better engine on the market?

Edited by MMDE

What are you talking about???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Engine

They starting working on it after MGS4 in 2008.

First demo of it in 2011.

First game using it was in 2013.

The FOX-Engine was used for MGSV: Ground Zeroes and P.T. (Silent Hills), and will be used for MGSV: The Phantom Pain.

Is there currently any better engine on the market?

MMDE, I mean it's too long to explain to you.

For your last question.

I would say UE4 is better but UE5 is pretty decent and is just under FOX in quality. 

Edited by ZeroXOF
  • Like 1

MMDE, I mean it's too long to explain to you.

For your last question.

I would say UE4 is better but UE5 is pretty decent and is just under FOX in quality. 

Why did you say the FOX engine is old and it's wasting potential? o.O

Nobuo decides to compose for the series again.

50.gif

Nobuo Uematsu is now free-lance, though he works for Mistwalker. In any case, SE did hire him for some FFXIV tracks.

Whoopsie, looks like i'm fairly late to the news, anyways, here's what i'm 99% certain will happen.

-Konami will start pumping out MGS games at a much more regular schedule now, similar to what Ubisoft does with Assassin's Creed. These will underperform in terms of sales.

-Konami will start running into massive financial issues that may or may not cause the conpany to have to shut down entirely.

-Kojima and his team will continue making games, although i'm not sure if this'll happen as part of another company or independently. One one hand, Kojima is probably fed up with big companies by this point, but on the other hand low-budget isn't really Kojimas style and he'll be getting tons of offers the next weeks.

-Silent Hills is probably too far in development to outright cancel it, so i imagine it'll be completed without Kojimas involvement.

Maybe Kojima will go freelance and just help advise and steer other games like he did with Castlevania Lords of Shadow

Shame there may not be anymore great Metal Gear games, I remember playing the demo of Metal gear solid way back when and falling in love with the series right there and then (1997 or 98? can't remember when the demo disc was released), would be a great shame to see it end, but its been one hell of a ride.

Long live Metal Gear !