How did you become a Trophy Hunter?

QueazyJoe

A few years ago, I achieved my first platinum through playing Sly 1. I rather enjoyed the process of obtaining this first platinum, so I decided to become a trophy hunter. In terms of my hunting practices, I only attempt to obtain a platinum/100% if I'm genuinely having fun playing the game.

Thus, although My Name is Mayo is an affordable and easy platinum, I haven't played it yet because it doesn't seem like much fun. If someone however convinces me that it is actually a fun/interesting game to play, I might consider playing it someday ? As always happy hunting and gaming everyone!

It all started back shortly after trophies came out when I was playing LittleBigPlanet. At first, trophies were just kinda inconsequential to me, and were just 'there'. I played an obscene amount of LittleBigPlanet and randomly looked at my trophies one day, seeing I only had like 4-5 left to collect, so I decided to challenge myself.

Beating all levels without dying was testing and super challenging, but the sense of accomplishment after I beat that last level was awesome and that gold trophy popped, along with the platinum. The feeling I had when that platinum popped up was like no other thing I've experienced in gaming- needless to say, I was hooked on trophy hunting after that point.

• Like 2

A trophy killed my relatives, which is a hilarious way to start a story by itself, and then... oh wait a minute

On 20.3.2015 at 4:50 PM, t6chenard said:

A Platinum Trophy killed my parents after we left a theater showing "The Mark of Zorro" one evening. I vowed from then on that no trophy would go un-hunted.

On 26.3.2015 at 9:12 AM, Johnathan994 said:

A trophy killed my family, now there is only revenge and hunting down every single bastard that I  can get my hands on.

On 2.9.2016 at 9:45 PM, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

trophies killed my family, so i hunt them in retribution

• Like 4

I started out with achievements on my Xbox 360 in 08 and once I got a PS3 a year later, I started liking getting rewarded for just playing a game that I enjoyed. It got serious for me in 2010-2012 but I got worn out for a while and from 2013-2015, I didn't do much of hunting but that changed in late 2015 and now Ive returned from the hiatus and am ready to begin again. 

I've always liked collecting things, so when I got an xbox 360 and saw the achievements popping up I was hooked. :D When I got a PS4 I didn't like trophies as much as gamerpoints, but over time I started liking them even more than gamerpoints. 

I used to be a bit of completionist before trophies were a thing, I remember 100% completing the original trilogy Spyro games back on the PS1, and a fair few of the Mario games. I also seem to remember 100% clearing Endless Ocean back on the Wii about a decade ago as well, that was fun.

It's basically just the same with trophies now for me, I enjoy 100% completing games I enjoy (or just games that are fairly fast and easy to 100%, admittedly) because I like to get the most out of the games I love. That said, there's plenty of games I've enjoyed a lot that I haven't 100% completed, namely all the games in the Souls series except for the first Dark Souls, I did intend on getting the platinum in Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne, but kinda didn't want to re-play them again immediately after finishing them once, and just got caught up in other games.

• 2 months later...

Started with being on Xbox 360 back in 2007 I managed to get the 1000G (Max amount of points for a game excluding DLC) for Halo 3 on my Soleride account and since then I really enjoyed hearing that noise of "Achievement Unlocked", so when I bought a PS Vita and got my first platinum on Resistance: Burning Skies and there was a trophy for getting all others I was instantly hooked during my last summer at university ever since then I have attempted so many platinum's and if I can't get it I play the game to the point where I know I can't get anymore trophies. Unless I really hate the game of course. The change to PlayStation is what prompted the "Dark" part of my PSN ID because of the link that Capcom made with SoulCaliber IV when they did the Star Wars special edition for PS3 haha 

I was always a video game completionist. Getting all upgrades, items, exploring full map, etc. So as soon as I got my PS3 I was immediately hooked on trophy hunting. That and it was a competition between me and my friends to get the most platinums. Needless to say...I have since far surpassed them :)

It was during GTA V two years ago. I decided to hunt for the collectables, I'd finished the story by that point and thought I'd seen everything. But while driving/flying/walking around hunting for pieces of scrap paper and spaceship parts I saw so many neat places I'd never seen, met characters I didn't know existed and for the collectables, I had to devise some pretty ridiculous ways of reaching them. It reminded me of how I used to play when I was younger, I'd start screwing around and explore. GTA V's trophies reintroduced that to the way I play. 

The Phantom Pain is a great example of that. My first playthrough, I went for pure stealth. Now that I'm going for the S ranks, I'm finding all sorts of stupid and fun ways to finish missions. So basically, I hunt trophies because often, I find myself playing a game in a way that I wouldn't do ordinarily. They encourage me to explore the game and different ways of playing. I play for fun and most trophies are a part of that. Obviously I won't platinum every game I own, because I don't always find whatever a trophy demands enjoyable. For that reason I'm not sure I could be considered a trophy hunter, at least not a committed hunter because as soon as I stop enjoying myself I move on.

Edited by FarSideOfSaturn
  • Like 2

Back in my PS2/PS1 days, I rarely got new games. It was not actually because my family was poor, in fact my dad was/is a really successful business man. My dad came from a poor background (e.g he never got to sleep on a mattress until he was in high school) so when it came to material things like gaming, he restrained in treating his children. I never got pocket money and I was ok with that because all my needs were provided for, along with the occasional cinema outing with friends. I did not mind playing Gran Turismo 4 all day, or finishing Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal/Prisoner of Azkaban five times, along with other games.

Cue 2013, I finally got myself a PS3 from the money I earned from a part time job while studying my diploma (I graduated high school 2012). My completionist attitude from the previous console gen eventually made me a trophy hunter. What was kind of lucky for me, was that in 2013 - the PS3's library was very solid, TLOU just came out, lots of games were cheap. A huge backlog eventually followed.

Edited by Eraezr

On 1/7/2017 at 0:57 AM, vanillamoose said:

Thus, although My Name is Mayo is an affordable and easy platinum, I haven't played it yet because it doesn't seem like much fun. If someone however convinces me that it is actually a fun/interesting game to play, I might consider playing it someday ? As always happy hunting and gaming everyone!

I would say that the game is interesting, because it keeps your attention due to its unusual and exciting, but boring way of letting you walk through a short video game. But you can definitely laugh up your sleeve a few times throughout those 30 minutes to an hour with those random facts and the story mode. I did. :awesome:

I feel like obtaining the platinum is really finishing the game moreso than finishing the campaign mode or the like. You discover all parts of the game and experience all the game has to offer.

Side note: I didn't really start "hunting" until I stumbled upon this site while googling how to get trophies for my first platinum. I'm a bit of a collector so I like checking in on my profile and seeing how I'm doing. It has helped me to be a more intentional and active gamer, and opened my eyes to new games I may not have tried without it. So I'm glad I found it.

I probably posted on this thread (or maybe not), but regardless I want to express my enjoyment for trophy hunting.

It starts with Runescape. Basically if anyone doesn't know what that game is, it's a free/pay to play MMORPG designed by Jagex, a company based in Cambridge, England. Anyone who has put in a considerable amount of time on it (500 to 1000+ hours) knows it's a massive grind. In fact it's probably one of the most boring, tedious grinds out there.

Over a decade ago I became obsessed with Hiscores, which tracks your character and stats. The max level was 99 (still is on Old School Runescape), and it wasn't easy. Certain skills would take a few dozen hours provided one read up on online guides and fastest ways to gain XP (slang for experience). Finally in the spring of 2006 I earned my first 99, Fletching, after four years of playing. Due to the game overall becoming easier over time, 99s aren't as grand as they used to be. Anyone with a 99 back in the day got respect, because it meant they spent hundreds of hours on that particular skill, unless it was an easy one like Cooking.

I retired one account in 2011 with 11 99s, around 170M total XP, and around 180 days played. Granted I took very long breaks here and there, but I was proud with what I accomplished. Fast forward to 2013 and Old School Runescape comes out. I'm excited once more. Spent the first year almost entirely grinding skills, which I earned nine 99 stats. Since 2014 I've been playing off and on, I'm currently not playing Old School Runescape and haven't been since November last year. My second account is at around 128 days played. In total, over 14 years of playing off and on, I've accumulated an estimated 310 days total playtime, or 7440 hours.

I'm obsessed with max stats like those of Runescape, and my enjoyment for trophy hunting stems from that. Gaining a new platinum that took a lot of work is the same for me as gaining a new 99 skill in Runescape. I even managed to go from 85 to 99 Agility in less than a month, and was in the top 30 in most Agility XP gained for that month in the game. That of course inspired me to get the fastest time in Wolfenstein 3D, and I'm also in the top 10 in the first Toejam & Earl game.

I won't go out of the way to get a 100 percent account, but considering I'm a little OCD and somewhat of a completionist, I prefer to finish games I add to my profile, rather than play 20 different games all in quick succession and leave them unfinished.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

Surprisingly I got it from Pokemon. When I started to do competitive Pokemon, I began to objectify my video game experience to the point I must do everything the game allows, this eventually gave me the urge to complete games 100% if it was possible for me to do. 

A couple of reasons. 

First one is that I've been playing games since the NES. I always liked unlocking things. Doing the side-quests and finding secrets for various costumes or items. In the past couple of generations, a lot of that kind of thing has become DLC instead of unlockable during the game. So, trophies took the place of that. It gave me goals and a reason to keep playing beyond the main story, which brings me to my second reason.

I was extra broke when I started trophy hunting. I was in college and didn't have the money for new games, but I had a decent number of games that I had already played through sitting on the shelf. So, to give myself a reason so play them again, I started trophy hunting. This made it so that I could spend less, and still game a lot.

I started trophy hunting a wee bit due to this very site. I found it and looked at my stats on my former user and compared it to other people, and found that I wanted a bit higher percentage. Not hunting-level of percentage, but above 50% or something, but due to many of my old games being sold I saw that as a very difficult task. Besides I also wanted to replay some of my old games, and found playing games like Dark Souls, Skyrim, the Assassin's Creed games etc. quite dull without the trophies. Whenever I booted up Dark Souls I would just play with one of my older characters, starting a NG+(++) and fuck around for a bit until I got bored. Without the temptation of hunting trophies I just didn't have it in me to start the game from scratch with a new user AND complete it.

Therefore I created this account, simply to replay the games. I'm not sure exactly when I changed my ethos regarding trophy hunting, but I believe that my mindset changed a bit after finishing AC: Revelations wanting more, and then deciding to replay most of the missions to complete the mission tasks (and subsequently playing the online mode), and I had much fun doing so. After that I went back and did the same with Black Flag, and as I started new games I just kept on playing trying to complete whatever I could. I have not yet succumbed to the hunt completely yet, though. I don't think I have it in me. Certain things, like a couple of the zombie trophies in Black Ops, the flag trophy in AC: Brotherhood and.... well... finishing even one playthrough of Lords of the Fallen require more than I'm willing to give. I'm now content with having over 80% completion rate, and I will plat and 100% the games I enjoy (although I won't enjoy all aspects of the hunting, I mean, collecting shit in games is rarely enjoying) and just leave the games I can't be bothered with finishing unfinished.

So in a sense, it was discovering PSNP that led me to the hunt.

I used to like getting 100% in games since I was a kid and it started out with FFX-2 on the ps2 which I spent hours playing. I was also a hug fan of the Crash Bandicoot and Pokemon games and completed the Pokedex in Silver, Sapphire, Emerald and Diamond versions. My first ps3 game was FFXIII and I didn't really know about trophies nor did I even have a PSN account at the time, but the trophies were written in the back of the official guide so I spend almost 100 hours platinuming that game just for the ps3 themes. It's only when I moved out from home, got my open ps3 and transferred my data and got a psn account (was pretty late!) that I actually got into it and found it satisfying.  

I find that trophies help you enjoy the game more that just the story in that a lot of them make you do side quests and all the extra stuff that I'd usually just ignore. FFX would be one of those games in that it gives motivation to bother in dodging 200 lightning bolts and getting frustrated at that annoying chocobo game. 

When I first bought my PS3, I had a good salary, so I would always play new games, play until the story ends, get some misc trophies that looks amusing to do and get another one.

After some time, I was fired from my job, so I had to drastically cut my gaming budget, so I started going after trophies that I would normally ignore so could extend a game's life cycle and even after my money situation got stable, I stayed trophy hunting. 

I would say my intrigue for trophy/achievement hunting originally spawned from my interest in earning 100% in games and finding secrets in games like Crash Bandicoot and Sly Cooper. There was also Halo, which I had a lot of fun searching for the skulls and replaying the game with some of them activated. When 360 came around, it was just a matter of me doing what I was already doing with my games save for the occasional trophy that would require you to do something bizarre.

I have a PS3 for years and now a PS4. At first, I thought that trophies were useless and were only here to needlessly enhance the lifetime of a game.
So I never watched what I earned when a trophy popped up.

Then, a few months ago, I played Virginia, I loved it though it was a little short. I wanted to know more about the game and to discuss in forums and I saw someone who said that there were interesting things after you beat the game in the trophies list. 
For the first time, I read a trophy guide and then I said to myself, oh you can also platinate a game that you finish only in a few hours?

Then i discovered that not all games have platinum but only 100%.

I played back my older games like Inside, Firewatch, Gone Home and through trophies, I discovered that there were really interesting things the developer wanted to show or explain, or funny easter eggs and that if you want to see/understand everything in the game, trophies are really interesting.
Mousecraft also because for exemple you have to get all the levels completed perfectly.

So I enjoyed platinate/100% The Order 1886, The Bunker, Teslagrad, Never Alone etc... because the trophies brought something more to players (challenges, more videos, what the developers wanted to show through this or that...)
The Deadly tower of monsters was so FUN to platinate (monkey lost on a island, pirate ship etc...) that I wanted to continue to platinate games.
And weirdly, I enjoyed platinate soundshapes because there is some kind of perseverance to have the platinum!

Let's be honest, I wouldn't have found some trophies by myself without a trophy guide, some of them are really fetched.

I won't platinate a game that is boring or useless/waste of time (get 250 treasures in the map...) or a game that I really loved that I will finally hate because of this (I read that in a forum for heavy rain for example or uncharted 4).

Now I'm playing Nier Automata, i really love the game and if it is interesting to platinate, I'll manage to do it after I beat the game.

Edited by el_baroooo

I was introduced to Playstation when my Friend brought his PS3 into military camp (Singapore has compulsory conscription for every male citizen) back in 2012. Because we had so much free time (we would be staying in camp the whole week for alternate weeks - no going out), we played games like FIFA to pass the time. The first single player game I tried on his console was inFAMOUS 2. It was a grind for the shards, and although i didn't get the Platinum, I did complete it (100% sort of) and that got me hooked into gaming. I was then motivated to get a PS3 for myself and I was determined to catch up to my friend's PSN level. He wasn't a hunter and played games purely for fun, so it wasn't long before I got way past him (my first account) and that's where it all began.