Asylum vs City vs Origins

Favorite Arkham Game  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Asylum, City or Origins?

• Arkham Asylum
    • Arkham City
    • Arkham Origins

As arkham knight is soon to be released I decided to make a post of your favorite arkham game. The arkham games are my favorite games of all time. Personally I would put them: 1. Asylum 2. City 3. Origins. Nothing for me can beat arkham asylum although City came extremely close. I played Origins on Xbox and that was just as good, I don't agree with all those negative reviews. Arkham asylum got 92 on metacritic, City got 96 and Origins got 76. Let me know what your favorite game is down below and if you have pre ordered arkham knight! 057_RiddlerBackTVs-114-800-500-80.jpg

Edited by EpicNogg4

Asylum is my favourite because it was the first one, had a really cool enviroment and story.City is a close second because it was awesome to have a huge world with side missions to play,it had a really good story(with that plot twist at the end),however some of the villains lasted for five minutes(like Twoface)and never appeared again.

Origins felt like a copy of City and was less interesting,also the boss battles and their villains weren't as good.

I didn't preorder Knight for the simple fact that I don't have a PS4 yet,but maybe in the future...

• Like 1

I consider Asylum and City to be on pretty much the same level. Asylum is more focused in its storytelling while City is more expansive. If i were to play one of the two again, it'd probably be Asylum.

(Origins isn't even a part of the equation, it was good but clearly below the other two)

City was definitely my favourite. It had a lot of memorable moments that, in my opinion, truly captured the essence of being batman, and it had tons of collectables (I'm such a sucker for collectables) :) .

Asylum was also really good.

And Origins it felt like a missed opportunity. The whole premise of the games was that Black Mask would be the mais villan, and I was excited because he is one of my favourite villains, but you barely interact with him.

I avoided Origins as i had heard some negativity - (though i did play Blackgate)

I loved City, but Asylum is my favotrite - for me the game lost a bit of its focus when the map got bigger. I did love the Challenges in City though - long and hard and virtually trophyless but i still had a great time going through with Batman, Catwoman, Robin and Nghtwing

I

Love your opinions guys, I have origins on Xbox like I mentioned but I was thinking of buying it for ps3, u think its worth it?

I would say so. Sony gave Batman arkham city a while ago. When I get the platinum for yakuza 4 I will definitely go back to it.

Asylum>City>Origins

Asylum had the best mix of combat and bat-detective. All the bosses had a large role in the game, and the fact that you were basically trapped in the Asylum made it feel urgent.

City was great, but it lost that atmosphere Asylum had. I forgot that the game was supposed to be happening in one night. There were tons of side quests, and Riddler stuff. Which is great for replay ability, but took away from the main story. This did have the best ending of the games though, and the final boss was better than Asylum's.

Origins was basically City 1.5. It had the same problems as City, and didn't have enough new things to set it apart. The story was awesome though, and the boss fights were fun.

I recently finished Asylum and really enjoyed it. I'm currently making my way through City, and I'm guessing I'm maybe halfway through.

I like the combat better in City, but I liked the world and environment more in Asylum. I liked that Asylum was tighter, and even though City is bigger, Asylum's environments felt more varied to me. But I like both. I may or may not give Origins a try after I finish City. I pretty much took all of last generation off from video gaming, so my backlog is kind of crazy huge.

Asylum holds a special place because it was my introduction to the series (and I'm sure the same is true for most others) but when I returned to each game years after my initial runs, I couldn't deny City to the be the superior game. More refined, better presentation, well executed premise, bigger without feeling bland or empty by comparison. Arkham City is easily one of the very best games to have ever come out on the PS3 (Asylum too for that matter).

Origins is still fun, but not on the same level of Asylum or City. 2 > 1 > 3

Edited by Fray32-
  • Like 1

(1st) Arkham Origins = I love this game the most. Personally because I love Batman in his early years the most (Year One fans anyone?). The whole does Gordon trust Batman? Does Batman trust Gordon? The very corrupt police department. The idea of how the bad guys slowly went from your traditional mafia style mobs/casual badguys to more fanatical maniacs. Best of all the Origins plot compared to the rest.. it actually feels like it came straight out of the Comics/animated tv series. It isn't over the top crazy like City and lesser extent Asylum. You don't have every main Batman villian happening to be in the game just to make the story/game good, and works with a lesser known cast of criminals which I love. 

(2nd) Arkham Asylum= Very special as it started the revival of comic book games that showed gamers it CAN be done right and it isn't just a money grab like all the others. The setting and plot throw you straight into Batman's mid-late years and doesn't need a tutorial to explain the situation, its a very well done game for hardcore fans of Batman and comics.

(3rd) Arkham City = Its a good game but personally my least favorite of the series. The main problem I have with this game is I can't ever see this plot ever happening in the Animated series or the Comic series until this game made it happen. Seriously a section of Gotham carved out, forcing residents to leave, then making it into a prison where they don't enforce rules? Yeah its a cool plot and all but doesn't make sense even after you uncover how it happen'd. Also this game relys tooo heavily on Batman's most famous villains. I feel Rocksteady tried too hard to make this game better than Arkham Asylum and that ruined it for me.

Edited by MafiaBrett

As this is my favorite game series of all time I will be buying origins for ps3 even though I already have it on Xbox. And right now the PlayStation store is doing franchise deals (god of war right now) and on march 29 to April 6 is batman deals!!! So I'll pick it up then with blackgate deluxe edition! I also heard that they are remastering Arkham City and Asylum for ps4 but nothing heard with origins as it isn't part of rocksteady's trilogy.

As much as people say City is the best, I just liked the ending of City, but Asylum really got the tone of the game down by having that narrow focus in the story and just touching on so many dark themes in the game. City was a bit too open that the side missions really took away from the story by having so many subplots that don't really tie into the story for most of them. Origins, really nothing special, honestly the only thing that made that game special was the Joker interview scene. I just hope that Arkham Knight will take the themes that made Asylum so great considering Scarecrow's in there, even though it is still open world like City, and maybe do a better job tying in the side mission subplots into the story.

• Like 1

Haven't played origins but city is easily one of the best games I've ever played. Asylum was great but city was bigger world, longer story, had side missions, more characters, more gadgets, and freeflow combat was perfected. Every nit picky complaint I had about asylum's combat challenges were fixed (gadgets became even more seamless, timeout on combos were increased, a disarm combo was added, and most importantly no need to juggle my last 3 opponents so I could ground & pound them for needed points).

• Like 1

I never played Origins, but Asylum is definitely my personal favorite compared to City. I just felt that Asylum was just more memorable and the only thing that City had on Asylum was the bigger map. I did have a lot of fun with City, but I haven't played it since I beat it the year it came out, felt it had zero replay value compared to Asylum which I replayed countless times.

Edited by Death_Ninja

Haven't played Origins and i don't plan to either, but i believe City is miles better than Asylum mainly because of the bigger open world

It's funny, because I liked Asylum for exactly the opposite reason. The claustrophobic setting really added to the tension for me, and the extra stuff in City just didn't really get me into the game (particularly the boring Bane appearance).

In general, I like Asylum better, although the end battle is pretty lame. I never bothered to plat City, but did Asylum, so that's evidence enough for me.

Both Asylum and City are good. I've never played Origins.

Edited by starcrunch061