Asylum vs City vs Origins

Favorite Arkham Game  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Asylum, City or Origins?

• Arkham Asylum
    • Arkham City
    • Arkham Origins

If you ignore the fact they added MP to Origins. Based solely on the story Origins is probably my favorite. My negatives about the game are that 1. they added MP 2. they changed the controls from l1/r1 to l2/r2 without giving me an option to change them back :shakefist: took me forever to get used to it.

Based only on the story I'd say

Asylum

Origins

City

Origins black gate

It's funny, because I liked Asylum for exactly the opposite reason. The claustrophobic setting really added to the tension for me, and the extra stuff in City just didn't really get me into the game (particularly the boring Bane appearance).

I feel the same way as you...I liked the feeling of being trapped on an island with a bunch of inmates trying to kill you. I loved both Asylum and City and I think Origins, while not as good as those two, was a solid game in its own right. But for me Asylum was my favorite.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

the Scarecrow chapters of Asylum still gives me chills and Asylum was also the first game i earned a trophy. city's ending nearly made me cry, though i was disappointed by the Bane "fight," mainly because i wanted something epic. i have no interest in playing origins, and i don't own a ps4 (yet!)

Asylum is my favourite because of the amazing atmosphere. Just walking around the asylum and hearing echos of various sounds pleased my ears.

For some reason I'm not that much of an open world guy. I'm not completely sure why. I think I like my games to be more linear so I still really loved Arkham City but not as much as I loved Asylum!

I haven't played Arkham Origins although I plan to play it some time if I pick it up on the cheap and maybe even get Origins Backgate on the Vita.

I haven't preordered Knight because I'm totally broke.

Asylum is probably my favorite. I liked the small map and the story was solid. All the little details with the inmates rooms and the riddler challenges were done just right so that you didn't need to follow a guide or get a map to finish them, you could actually detect them. I also really enjoyed following trails and bat vision.

After Asylum, I'm going to say Origins. Although I felt like I wasted my money buying it full price, the story line was spectacular and really brought a more mature tone then 'Batman is good and fighting bad guys'. It was a little short IMO, however, but I can still remember Joker's face as I held him over the ledge.

What I dislike about Origins and City is the same, but City didn't have that wonderful story to help it. I don't like the giant world because it's less intimate- there's small details here and there but they are lost. I didn't like how the Riddler challenges were changed in both of them and, although enjoyable side missions, I wish they were incorporated into the main story somehow like Scarecrow use to be. I also didn't like that the enemies respawned- I liked it better when I could knock them all out because then it felt like I actually completed my job.

What really killed City for me was all the cliffhangers in the story.

I mean, really, you killed Joker?? And you let the story end there. I'm not even a comic book fan and I know that's not how it ends! And then with the one guy that you find the pieces with at the end. I felt like City was just a bridge story, a filler episode in the series. City wasn't all bad, though, I liked the telephone missions and getting to see where Batman's parents were shot.

Arkham Asylum (one of my "defining moment" platinums!) > Arkham City > Listening to my wife nag > that migraine I had last week > paying bills > Arkham Origins.

The MP in Origins failed on every possible level; trophies nigh impossible to get without boosting, you can't choose who you are and just plain lack of fun factor. Knowing I will never get that platinum because of the developers half-assed attempt at multiplayer never ceases to piss me off.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Guys... I am again planning to continue on playing Arkham Asylum. I checked the trophy guides about possible missable trophies and they mentioned that there are only 2 trophies that are missable.

Just wanted to confirm, so even after I beat the game there are still henchmen available to fight? I am thinking that I might not be able to get a combat related trophy if I do prioritise to complete the game without grinding the other trophies.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Just finished up with Arkham City's story and I thought it was rubbish, everything was rushed and just seemed completely out of place "CLAYFACE WHERE DID YOU COME FROM?!?" and all this other nonsense I thought was really stupid. 
I played Asylum recently too and I have to say the story was a lot better in this game but I do prefer City's move expansive world map and the new gadgets used during combat. Despite all the hate it gets, I really think Arkham Origins is the best of both worlds, it has a superior story to both its predecessors and it has, by far some of the most creative and most challenging boss fights in the Arkham series, In fact it is the only game I thought any of the bosses were hard in in terms of the Arkham series.

City was fun and I still have all the side missions to complete but that shouldn't be too much of a challenge, I was disappointed in City's story though after all the talk about it from fans and from critics it really didn't live up to the 10/10 standard I was expecting to be honest. When I get a PS4 I'll have to try Arkham Knight but those stupid Cobra tank boss battles or whatever they called just sound ridiculous and stupid, I very much prefer a more confrontational mano O' mano Batman than one that drives around in a vehicle all day but the jury's still out on that one!

• 5 months later...

I like Arkham City most because it has a good open world and the riddles are much better. I got every collectible on Asylum and City and think in Asylum they are too easy. You just need a batman tool to get it... Origins couldn't make a good impression it looked to much like the predecessor, but i disliked mostly the two seperated areas of the world. Only one way to cross is to single minded for this game...

Edit: one thing i liked more in City was that even on hard there are/were visual signs when to start a counter-attack... Arkham Asylum on hard was more difficult... And Batman could counterattack not just 1 but up to 3 guys simulteanously :D

Edited by Evil_Joker88

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/12/2015 at 4:47 PM, Bullstomp said:

Arkham Asylum (one of my "defining moment" platinums!) > Arkham City > Listening to my wife nag > that migraine I had last week > paying bills > Arkham Origins.

The MP in Origins failed on every possible level; trophies nigh impossible to get without boosting, you can't choose who you are and just plain lack of fun factor. Knowing I will never get that platinum because of the developers half-assed attempt at multiplayer never ceases to piss me off.

Since this post 2 years ago I have 100% the entire Arkham series (including Origins). Here are my adjusted rankings -

1. Arkham Asylum 

2. Arkham Knight

3. Arkham City

4. Arkham: Blackgate(Vita)

5. Arkham Origins

To be fair, Origins had a decent story but the fact it was a poor "cut & paste" job of AC, the crap @$$ MP and the less than responsive challenge maps cements it as the worst imo

2 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

Since this post 2 years ago I have 100% the entire Arkham series (including Origins). Here are my adjusted rankings -

1. Arkham Asylum 

2. Arkham Knight

3. Arkham City

4. Arkham: Blackgate(Vita)

5. Arkham Origins

To be fair, Origins had a decent story but the fact it was a poor "cut & paste" job of AC, the crap @$$ MP and the less than responsive challenge maps cements it as the worst imo

I'd probably swap 4 and 5 (I liked Blackgate, but the story was not very epic), but otherwise I agree with your list.

Asylum is still my favorite because of the intimate feel of the prison, but the gameplay was improved with the sequels.

• 1 year later...
On 3/26/2015 at 4:16 AM, MafiaBrett said:

(1st) Arkham Origins = I love this game the most. Personally because I love Batman in his early years the most (Year One fans anyone?). The whole does Gordon trust Batman? Does Batman trust Gordon? The very corrupt police department. The idea of how the bad guys slowly went from your traditional mafia style mobs/casual badguys to more fanatical maniacs. Best of all the Origins plot compared to the rest.. it actually feels like it came straight out of the Comics/animated tv series. It isn't over the top crazy like City and lesser extent Asylum. You don't have every main Batman villian happening to be in the game just to make the story/game good, and works with a lesser known cast of criminals which I love. 

(2nd) Arkham Asylum= Very special as it started the revival of comic book games that showed gamers it CAN be done right and it isn't just a money grab like all the others. The setting and plot throw you straight into Batman's mid-late years and doesn't need a tutorial to explain the situation, its a very well done game for hardcore fans of Batman and comics.

(3rd) Arkham City = Its a good game but personally my least favorite of the series. The main problem I have with this game is I can't ever see this plot ever happening in the Animated series or the Comic series until this game made it happen. Seriously a section of Gotham carved out, forcing residents to leave, then making it into a prison where they don't enforce rules? Yeah its a cool plot and all but doesn't make sense even after you uncover how it happen'd. Also this game relys tooo heavily on Batman's most famous villains. I feel Rocksteady tried too hard to make this game better than Arkham Asylum and that ruined it for me.

That is how I feel about these Batman games too. I will add that I loved the winter and Christmas Holidays setting of Origins, I'm a sucker for that in games, and also I thought the verticality in Origins was very impressive, unfortunately it brought the PS3 to its knees (the framerate). Later I bought and played the PC version too.