DoS ending service on June 30 2015

NekoSlash

Found out the news on my twitter: Destiny of Spirits will be shut down on June 30st 2015: https://twitter.com/dos_official_en/status/580941804557639680

Of course, no explanation was given, I suspect Sony gradually giving up on Vita...

News on official site: http://www.jp.playstation.com/op/players/dos/en/important/info_20150326.html

And a special Fan Appreciation Campaing will be launched on April 2nd: http://www.jp.playstation.com/op/players/dos/en/events/appreciation%20.html

That makes me sad. The game was simple with interesting gameplay and strategy, gorgeous artworks and great soundtrack. I've spent 500+ hours on it, that's the game I've spent the most time. However, good thing I'm going to finish to clean the globe.

If you're hunting for trophies, you know what to do.

This is a serious WTF?!? move. 1 million+ downloads then they decide to pull the plug? Unless this is some kind of an early April Fools joke, anyone who doesn't want this incomplete on their profile better get started. 3 months should be more than enough time to finish this game. Make sure you play every day and get that 30 days trophy wrapped up soon, as that's the big one to worry about. Clearing all areas is not really that bad due to the recent updates, unless you need to clear the new areas too... but persistence will pay off in the end.

I think it's possible to complete this in around 200-250 hours if you just focus on clearing areas and have a buddy trade you some good spirits so you can easily max them, and don't get sidetracked by the events as I've easily spent over 100 hours on those alone. Also, save your Destiny Orbs in case you face some really hard battles. There's at least 457 areas (500+ with the new areas) so you'd need to clear around 6-7 a day if you're starting out to have a good shot at finishing this on time.

Also, if you at least started the game last year, you're in better shape since you'll probably have a lot of freebie spirits/orbs in your mailbox.

Found out the news on my twitter: Destiny of Spirits will be shut down on June 30st 2015: https://twitter.com/dos_official_en/status/580941804557639680

Of course, no explanation was given, I suspect Sony gradually giving up on Vita...

I think some things need to be pointed out before the blame is laid on Sony for just giving up on Vita as a platform. This IS just one Free To Play online-only game.

1. This game had a terrible launch. Tons of maintenance weekly that took significantly longer than expected reset people's 30 day trophy for months after launch. The game people play today is not the game that launched.

2. This is a global FTP game. That alone is a huge undertaking. A *global* *free* game.

3. The developers still maintain this game *weekly.* That also means the one night a week I have time to play, Wednesdays here in the US, I can't play for the 3-8 hours the servers are shut down.

4. This game is online only. Which means a free game where the servers are constantly up. This costs quite a bit of money for a free game.

5. This game has the *least* incentive to spend real money. While this may be subjective, I've at least spent a buck or two on other free to play games because there was something that helped my progress and the game made me want to support the developer. This game has nothing that matches that.

6. One million downloads is not one million active players. A Players friend list will tell them which of their "friends" haven't played in a while when their Cleared Areas never increases. I'm at 201, over half my list (of 80 friends) was below 50 when I finally started deleting them yesterday.

Sony probably looked at a total loss on this game since launch and decided it's not going to generate any revenue, ever. No use in spending good money after losing money already.

I'll be finishing up my trophy list soon and appreciating that I got to play, but I'm not mad at Sony. I can understand why it didn't last.

• Like 4

Just read this 33 minutes ago. I'm heartbroken. While I understand the concerns DaivRules points out, I do not share the view that there is very little incentive to spend money on it. I very often feel frustrated by the limits and tempted to "buy away" the limits.

Being unemployed atm, this is completely off the list for me. But if I wasn't, I would totally blow money on 1000 destiny orbs. And probably again some time after.

Think of all people who have their days filled with stuff to do and really just can play once or twice a day, and then does it quite intense. They might bump into a limit, so to make the most of their gaming sessions, it would make sense to buy some destiny orbs and regain health and regain raid points.

As for myself, I have to use the spare time I got :P

--

A question for all: I have like 85 freed areas now. Started playing almost 2 months ago. Spent most of the playing time now on the raid event. Do I have enough time to finish the game?

I will buy some orbs if it is necessary. I might lose spirit and not play as much all the time until the end (hehu).

I have a hard time understanding this, the game was a mess when it was released, so why did they spent the amount of resources they spent to fix it instead of just scrapping it and canceling (like Namco did with RR Driftopia)?

Now the game is better then ever, is when they are closing it, makes no sense, but looking at what we see in-game I think there's some chance this was supposed to be a 1 year journey from the start, since other then raids to fill up space, the only expansions would be the extra continents, and they are doing their best to let us finish the game (clear the whole world), after that I think there's really nothing to add, even tough they could add moons/planets, it would be odd. Said that I would wait a bit longer to see how much a failure it was, since if this worked, we could be seeing a follow up (maybe not F2P) in some time.

As for those concerned about finishing the game, not doing raids, using the free orbs (100 per month) for continues, pure merging R and SR as you go and having a few supports with maxed SR to rent should allow you to clear all normal areas somewhat easily. And I'm unsure that the new areas are needed for the trophy, although a friend told me that they are needed..

• Like 1

Doesn't seem like Sony is giving up the Vita, just moreso the "AAA" developers have given up on the vita. Doesn't matter to me honestly I'm more than happy to get the RPGs and other games that the vita is getting seeing as how consoles are pretty starved for these types of games. Also like Diavrules points out DoS is currently nothing like the mess it was at launch, if they had rolled out these quality of life changes much sooner in the games life it might not be shutting down now.

• Like 1

Man, that sucks.  All of the F2P games I've played in the past are still up and running despite being 7-12 years old.  This is a big game to complete, and I think I'll clean up two of the last three trophies I need before saying goodbye.

Must not have been bringing in enough money...

I started this game at the beginning of this month and I like it, it's a pity that soon will be shut down :|

But I think 3 months are enough to finish it B)

I don't know why people get mad with Sony or the developers of FTP games when those have issues or close the servers. It's FREE, so is your choice if you play it or not.

• Like 1

It's a shame it's closing, i'm really enjoying it since i started a month ago. So far cleared 200 areas and looks like i'll need to step it up if i want to get it done in time.

You're almost as far as me, and I've been playing on and off since launch ahhahaha...

I only have 109 areas cleared and there's just no way to finish all the remaining areas unless I want to be playing it several times a day. Oh well, I think I'll get that one trophy for leveling 100 spirits and then move on to other games. 

Giving away my R and SR spirits while supplies last to anyone interested in finishing this game. Dunno what I have exactly but I've got over 600K summoning stones still so my stock is subject to change. Anyone interested feel free to add me in the game and shoot me a msg and we can go from there.

• Like 1