Do PSN trophies/Xbox Achievements stop you from going over to PC?

SmokedOut947

I see lots of people on YouTube asking why people just don't get a PC and abandon consoles? For me the biggest reason is the trophies on PS3/PS4 and achievements on 360/One. I am aware the Steam and Origin have their own achievement system, but it's just not the same. Achievements on Steam are a mess, PSN gives you a level based system, Xbox has a gamerscore while Steam has non of these. The PC folks might hear this and say it's a ridiculous excuse but that's honestly why I don't make the jump. I have one Platinum as of right now and two other games I'm close to getting the Platinum for. Do any of you guys feel the same way? Willing to not have the best graphical experience and be able to buy games cheaper for the most part solely based on Trophies and Achievements?

A great article about this very subject http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MikeRose/20100910/88026/Whats_the_Point_of_Steam_Achievements_Anyway.php

• Like 1

Honestly, yeah, it's part of the reason.

I know Steam has their own achievement system, but it seems really out of place, and not really used to show off your accomplishments. I just don't like it enough. Also, consoles generally have exclusive titles, and it can suck to miss out on some of these.

(I'm also far too broke to afford a gaming PC that can play games at the highest quality anyways.
As Damon8r has said, I can't afford to constantly have to upgrade the PC all the time either currently. It's kind of excessive.)

To add on a bit; there are games that I like on console that I wouldn't be able to play as well on PC, like shooters. I find mouse and keyboard annoying to play with. I like how comfortable it is to play with a controller, and I'd be at a disadvantage in that sense. I also think consoles are more comfortable in general to play on.

Edited by Vicodin_HP

Nope, for me it's mainly about comfort. Currently I enjoy consoles since I can lay on the couch after work and not have to move a cat from in front of my screen every two minues. On the other hand when I don't mind fighting the cats and sitting in a chair, I like Steam cause I can buy other games just from playing certain games. :hmm:

• Like 3

No. While it's true I enjoy trophies, they're not my main focus when I buy a game. If I like a game, I get it, whichever platform it might be in. The reasons I buy games exclusively for consoles are:

• No compatibility issues. Between OS incompatibility, Hardware incompatibility and even software incompatibility, PC can sometimes make it really hard for you to just play a game. None of that with a console. You just pop the game in and it works. Period.
  • Controllers. Some people really love the mouse and keyboard, but to me, nothing can surpass the comfort of a controller, which actually adapts to your hands. The keyboard is just a slate with too many buttons - which are all the same size and way too close to each other. On a controller, you know exactly where everything is supposed to be. The mouse can be handy, but I hate that you have to continuously press the exact same button the exact same way over and over again for 80% of your actions. True, some PC games allow for you to use a controller, but not all of them.
  • The games. Many of the games I like are console-exclusive. More and more are coming to Steam, but there are still a lot of exclusives.

No, having to constantly upgrade a PC every time a game with high system requirements is released stops me from buying a PC. With a console, I can pick any game I feel like for it off the shelf and be confident that it will work as advertised. Less money I have to spend on hardware means more money I can spend on software.

Also, PC gamers by and large act like fucking douches about their alleged superiority and that turns me right off.

Totally agree with your last line, im sure its the minority of PC gamers in youtube comments but its all i know about PC gamers so i just assume there all assholes.

In some ways it does but more specifically I love having all my games in one place(which is my PS trophy list) and that would bother me.

The main reason though is that a gaming PC needs to be upgraded from time to time and that costs.Also the heavily online market for games(like Steam) it's not my cup of tea

No, having to constantly upgrade a PC every time a game with high system requirements is released stops me from buying a PC. With a console, I can pick any game I feel like for it off the shelf and be confident that it will work as advertised. Less money I have to spend on hardware means more money I can spend on software.

Also, PC gamers by and large act like fucking douches about their alleged superiority and that turns me right off.

^ This

• Like 1

I used to play on my PC since the ps1 & ps2 era's, well mostly 2D games or using emulators, because my PC was very old even then.

Most games I played on my PC was the doom series, red alert franchise, and an indie side scroller game where you control a pirate cat "forgot the game name" and sonic adventure DX was the last game I ever played on PC.

then after the day we got a ps3 I completely stopped playing on the PC.

I don't care if PC have the best graphics in the world or these master race bull crap, I personally find gaming consoles are more natural to play video games on, while PC is best for browsing the web or watching youtube and movies.

Not to mention on PC each badass game need it's requirements to run which I can't handle paying for all those, and on my PC's case which we never upgrade since the day we got it, I don't think it will ever gonna run current games even on the worst setting possible. But I'm still happy with it when it comes to surfing the web.

I also have an acer laptop, and last time I check, it can only run few games made in 2008 or so at low standard judging by it's spec's.

• Like 4

Trophies are also a reason but...

PC

does 

not

have 

enough

Japanese

games!

Upgrading the HW is also a reason, but I'm supposed to use Japanese games as a base of my opinions.

http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Visual%20Novel/#tag%5B%5D=4085&p=0&tab=NewReleases

Just to start you off with...

On topic...

I like Steam achievements.  They're less for showing off then Playstation and Xbox (no levels or scores tied to them)... which is actually kind of nice.  They're a part of my account, but they aren't prominently displayed whenever I look at it.  My urge to collect them is more driven by my interest in completing games (which is healthy), then trying to reduce the eyesore whenever I open my PSN profile (which is feeding into my mild OCD).  Being less for showing off also fosters a more wholesome gaming environment since gamers seem to inherently be assholes if they think they have indisputable proof that they are better than you.

They aren't systemically better than Playstation trophies or Xbox achievements obviously, they're a total afterthought for Valve... but they are what they are, and for some reason they jive with me.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 3

I used to play on my PC since the ps1 & ps2 era's, well mostly 2D games or using emulators, because my PC was very old even then.

Emulators are good. Emulated games are the only games I play on my notebook.

61? I presume those are only recent comings?

Because 61 is not nearly enough, that's roughly localized Vita library =D

Plus, they mostly look like indie VNs rather than real J-games made by J-companies.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Money keeps me from going over to PC.

And this.

61? I presume those are only recent comings?

Because 61 is not nearly enough, that's roughly localized Vita library =D

That's just the number tagged as 'Visual Novel' and 'Anime' ... seemed like a good starting point since that shit always seems to be Japanese.

Barring some crossover, I found another 70 looking for 'JRPG'.  Might find some stragglers looking for words like 'Ninja' and 'Schoolgirl Panties' or whatever other perverted garbage that country churns out.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 4

In my case it's definitely about Comfort. I like just sit on the couch or bed like watching a movie. I never got used to k&m either. You can adapt a controller in some cases but i'm still hooked to a desk, no thanks, the last i want to see after work is a desk lol. And after all those reasons come the delicious trophies.

I do enjoy parts of Steam (The store is great, lots of range and sales are amazing)

But I don't enjoy playing with a Keyboard and Mouse for long and don't want to use one of those Xbox controllers.

I also enjoy the freedom of just sitting on a chair in open space with my controller in my hands, sitting up on a desk gets annoying.

My PC also runs some games kind of slow which is a turn off, it's a family computer too and I'm not going to buy a high end PC just to play indies and stuff that's not on Consoles.

What I don't understand is lots of people are saying comfort as a plus and something you can't do on pc, but as matter of fact you can use almost any controller you want on pc... so that makes zero sense. I have most of the 7/8 gen consoles and if I had a choice I would only play on pc for various reasons. Regarding the price a £500 rig would last you a good 6 years playing games at 1080p and 40-60 fps which is more than the ps4/xbone can say, sure you may say thats like almost double the price of ps4/xbone but people need to realize you are paying for online on consoles, so thats already £30-40 extra per year, AAA games on consoles release at £45-50 while on pc most release at £35 (and sales which are ridiculously better than consoles) which again just keeps adding up. 

Then you may ask why do I still have console(s) then, because jap games, most main stream japenese devs completely ignore pc or they just port the game years later e.g. Akibas Strip will just be released on pc now after an year after console release, pc is also getting Neptunia games but again months after vita versions.

but if you play mainly western multiplat titles pc is the best platform for you. 

Edited by Hyunyoung
  • Like 1

For me it's basically price and comfort like most other people.

My ps1, ps2, and N64 needed no upgrades of any sort other than another memory card or 2. I also could sit 10 feet away and not catch a massive headache which was easy for me to get as a kid. Using a mouse and keyboard just doesn't feel right to me either. 

Some PC's can cost thousands of dollars if you don't know how to put your own together (like myself lol) and my PS3 and TV only cost me about $600. I needed a new TV anyways so I could even take that off as a gaming expense. PC gamers feel the need to constantly upgrade, from what I've been told, and I haven't needed to even get an extra hard drive for my ps3 after all the games I've played. (yeah I know compared to some I haven't played many.) Also...I never really complain about graphics. Not every game is going to have top notch graphics. And some older games that have obviously worse graphics are still more fun to play than some of the bug ridden games of today. Darksiders didn't have graphics like Uncharted yet I still enjoyed both games thoroughly.

So really it's not the trophy system or the leveling system that keeps me from PC gaming...because I loved the previous generation consoles before the level system was even introduced. It's cost and comfort. (not to mention I truly despise online gaming which I think more is more for PC gaming. could be wrong though.)