Why did you become a gamer?

Sir_Bee

I love playing video games. Not just a specific genre, but I love almost all of them. I was thinking about it the other day, and wondered why it is that I enjoy them so much. I guess I started to be a gamer when I was young, because I really fit the stereotype that most people used to think of when they think of a gamer. I was a quiet, shy, reserved person, who had very few friends. The few friends that I had all played games as well, and this gave us common ground. Now that I have grown up somewhat, I have mostly outgrown that introverted phase of my life. Yet I find myself loving gaming even more then I did when I was younger. I guess now I enjoy video games, because I can use them as a stress relief. I am not saying that I don't ever get frustrated with some games, but overall it is almost like I can use games as a vent.

I am curious if the rest of you have some stories about why you became gamers, or even just reasons why you love to game.

• Like 3

Gaming is just a great way to pass the time. When I have a long day out on the farm, or in the shop working on an engine, I love being able to come home, spend some time with my Wife and then play some videogames to wind down. It's a relatively cheap hobby (compared to a lot of other things) and there is really no downside to it. Plus, my wife is starting to enjoy video games more and more so it's just one more thing we can enjoy doing together.

Parker

• Like 1

As a child I suppose, but I have no recollection as to why. Someone must have gave me a console as a present.

When I was in my late teens I bought a Sega Master system for something to do in the evenings if there was bugger all on tv and it wasnt the weekend.

When I was in my mid 20s I bought myself a PlayStation. The principal reason was that drinking was destroying my stomach and I needed something to do that didnt involve partying.

Then I discovered that gaming was a great stress reliever for me so I have kept at it.

Now my missus is glad of it as it keeps me from pestering her ;)

I dont ever remember there actually being a "why?" about it for me, its just always been there. like a few others here, I was lucky enough to be born just before the second generation of video games systems were released (Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision systems), As a result there was always one system or another either in the house or at relatives / friends. The first game I remember really grabbing my attention was Pac-Man. followed by a number of games on the Atari. Choplifter, Pitfall and so on...

As I got older I went through various system with the 8-bit NES being my first true love... I then bounced from a Sega Master System to Megadrive to SNES, and then moving upward to eventually get to where I am with the PS3. I've probably played 85 - 90% of the systems that have been released over the years (Trust me, I had to work my ass off for them, there were no free rides when I was growing up.).

Back to your original question, as for why I bacame a gamer, it was just in the blood so to speak, I think the reason why i stayed a gamer was because my Dad was (and very much still is.) an avid gamer and local multiplayer was one of the things that strengthened our bond. Now that I'm a father, it may not be one of my daughters biggest interests, but when she is into a game, its something she knows she can speak to her old dad about and I won't glaze over (unfortunately, teenage heartthrobs, shopping, and the latest tween trends, just dont go very far... in fact they usually end with me making some facetious remark about 900 year old vampires being perverts because they are dating 19 year old girls.)

I think I'll always be a gamer in some form, one of my worries on dark sleepless nights is about getting older, losing my eyesight or the use of my hands, and not being able to play Assassins Creed 57 or Gran Turismo 6 (let's face it, after how long we had to wait for 5, its going to be a loooooong time before we have 6). Hopefully though by then cyborg implants will be so advanced I wont have to worry. I'll be able to sell one of my grandkids for a set of Official Sony PS9 Gaming Arms and throw in some logitech eye implants.)

• Like 2

Because I have very little imagination and even less artistic talent. For a few hours a day I can save the world, be a professional race car driver, scale cliffs or ride the wild west. Gaming just gives me a way to disengage from the world around me and become someone or something else. Gaming has and will always be a part of my everyday life and someone will literally have to pull the controller out of my hands when I die.

• Like 1

I was automatically attracted to video games at a very young age. I played some Gameboy games and some learning video games on the family's old Windows 98. That was when I was really young, and then when my dad was given the PS1 for his birthday, and the rest as they say was history. I was enamored with technology, and still am to this day. :D

In the beginning... I was of limited means in my younger days and never owned an Atari but, was able to play when I would visit friends/relatives that did have a system. I was completely enthralled with video games. I mean, the realization that you were controlling what was happening on the TV was mind blowing!! So began the obsession.

I keep coming back because it reminds me of all the good times i've had gaming through the years. I have had some great experiences bonding with friends from Mario Kart to Mass Effect 3 MP. Gaming adds an element of youth in my life and I get that warm fuzzy feeling every time I hear the beep while turning on my PS3. It gives me something to look forward to everyday and provides a (mostly stress free :P) escape where I can just enjoy myself.

Because I have very little imagination and even less artistic talent. For a few hours a day I can save the world, be a professional race car driver, scale cliffs or ride the wild west. Gaming just gives me a way to disengage from the world around me and become someone or something else. Gaming has and will always be a part of my everyday life and someone will literally have to pull the controller out of my hands when I die.

This!

I like to game. That is all

This, in a nutshell!

The FBI said I couldn't blow things up for real anymore.

Not so much this :P

I remember very well. It's all my dad's fault.

We (or actually he) had most consoles from Amiga Commodore till Wii/X-Box/PS3 now. I remember I had interest in games at a young age (like 5 or 6 maybe) playing games like James Pond and more I can't remember on the Amiga.

I kinda got hooked when my dad was playing Secret of mana on the SNES and he's stuck because he couldn't find the key for the gold castle (I was always watching him play). I played a bit (didn't know English yet) and walked and talked to random characters and guess what, I found him the key. Since then I understand I'm destined to game. :P

But before that I also played games on the Sega like Sonic and Donald duck.

Just like AF, there isn't really a "why" per se, but gaming has always been there. My father purchased a Maganov Odyssey when I was 7 or so years old (39 years ago or so), and I have been gaming ever since.

Now, had you asked "Why do you enjoy gaming" would be another story and a completely different response. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was just a microchip, 4 years old, when I played my first video game which was Super Mario Bros. At first I was basically addicted to video games but by the time I was built into a basic computer (12 year old), it took a LONG time before I became a murderous robot bent on murder, I was fine and just played video games for entertainment. My point is I play video games for entertainment and because I love them, it's my hobby as well as collect video games and other "nerdy things". Although I do play most of the day it's only because I have nothing else to do...other than performing tests for science of course.

For the bitches.

Why do you play games for female canines?

• Like 3