Why did you become a gamer?

Sir_Bee

So you are both a dragon and a dragon master? For some reason I pictured that dragon master as someone like:

Yu-Gi-Oh-Starter-Deck-Kaiba-Evolution-Lord-of-D.jpg

Haha! I'm also one of the few dragons that has English as a primary language. The others just breathe out fire and ice at each others' faces. It was only a matter of time before I outsmarted the overall population. :D

Haha! I'm also one of the few dragons that has English as a primary language. The others just breathe out fire and ice at each others' faces. It was only a matter of time before I outsmarted the overall population. :D

Still, I would recommend you be wary of the Dragonborn I heard exploring the area. When he yells at you, bad things happen ...

Still, I would recommend you be wary of the Dragonborn I heard exploring the area. When he yells at you, bad things happen ...

I'll warn the Dovahkiin not to attack me, because I'm allies with Paarthunax and enemies with Alduin. Besides, I like Dovakiins anyway. :P

I killed Paarthurnax... :(

If memory serves, I was exposed to gaming around age four, on the Sega Master System. At the time, I was terrible at them, so I mostly enjoyed watching my much older brother (whom I idolized) play through games like Phantasy Star, rather than playing myself. I constantly pestered him to play for my viewing pleasure, in fact. Over the course of a few years, though, I actually became quite skilled, and it wasn't long before I got sucked into completionism. These days, that competitive, goal-oriented drive to challenge myself remains the primary motivation, besides escapism into these amazing "interactive film" experiences.

I started on the Sega Master System also (which is surprising as it didn't do well at all here. That and I played it in 1991) with Sonic the Hedgehog 1 (8 bit). I remember being fascinated by it, and a year later, my parents got me a Genesis and a Game Gear. I enjoyed watching my mom play Sonic (though I managed to beat Sonic 3 & Knuckles when I was 7 or 8, when she always got stuck on Lava Reef...hehe. I could never beat the first Sonic 2 (8 bit) boss on Game Gear though. I wasn't very good back then, even though I managed to beat S3&K, but my skills blossomed over the years. I remember even 10 years ago, Egg Viper cost me like 50 lives, but these days, I don't even get hit, and finally beat Sonic 2 8 bit last year.

I asked for too much as a kid (girl scouts, ballet, gymnastics, piano) so instead of wasting all that money my dad got me a PSX with Streetfighter xD enjoyed playing the shit outta that game with my cousins and moved onto Ridge Racer, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Bloody Roar. I broke it (don't ask how) and played House of the Dead instead. Stopped gaming when I turned 11 because I was falling behind studies in my new town (the capital full of snobs) and school and got back into it when I moved again and saw Leon in Resident Evil 4 (cos he was hot) I was VERY surprised at how much I actually enjoyed the game and thought to myself "This is amazing! Is this what all games are like?!" I was very disappointed... xD but nonetheless still play games...just not competitively cos I suck.

• 3 years later...

A long time ago when I was a really little girl, maybe 4 my mom bought my brother and I a Master System. My mom's cool like that, she didn't see it as a boys toy it was a thing for both of us, and I got equal time playing it. We then got a NES and later a mega drive and over the years we've had almost every console at one point or another. If it wasn't for my mom I might not be as big a gamer as I am, I might be more casual like my lil sis. She loves Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Red Dead Redemption and others, but she doesn't own her own consoles and stuff like I do.

• Like 3

I became a gamer because of a 1992 K-Mart holiday employee.

I was 3 and my cousin was 5. My grandmother asked a K-Mart employee what she should get her grandkids for Christmas. The employee, to whom I am forever indebted, handed my grandma a SNES and a copy of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Nevermind that I was too young to know what was going on. The very first minute I played "Lawnmower Man" I was hooked. Admittedly I played more with the map of Hyrule the game came with* but having the SNES at my grandmother's house as I aged fostered a love for videogames. All in all I'd say my journey as a geek that loves sci fi, fantasy, tabletop games, and anime all stem back to some K-Mart employee that wasn't afraid to suggest a SNES as a present for two little girls.

* Look at it. I wish I still had it so I could frame it.

7490146d9b6675e1bae81f263ab28330.jpg

Edited by Bucknerd
  • Like 4

I can't really remember exactly when it was but it must have been back in the early-to-mid eighties when I was somewhere between 3 and 5 and we got a ZX Spectrum. A whole 64K of memory to play with! Back then my parents and I would play Horace Goes Skiing and Boulderdash in my bedroom, taking it in turns and trying to set high scores for each other to beat. I guess it was the way that the whole family was involved that give me my fondest memories of gaming (later my sister would get hooked and her Sega Master System got me into consoles). I guess if my early memories of gaming were just of me sat in my room on my own then I maybe wouldn't have carried on playing into my mid-thirties but I have made a lot of friends over the years who also enjoy playing (back before the internet existed, meaning you had to actually go around to people's houses to play multiplayer!) and I think it is that early positive association that has stuck with me. Most of the gaming that I do now is solo but the strong story-lines and characterisation is enough to keep me interested, even if the social element of gaming isn't as important to me as it once was.

• Like 3

Well, I didn't even know about video games until I was around 5 or 6 years old. I was still going to daycare, and I recall some of the staff pulling out a Sega Genesis/Megadrive for us kids to play. They hooked it up to a TV off in the corner, and there a bunch of kids would crowd around to watch while they waited to take their turn. I never got a chance to play any of them myself, not for long at least. Being as soft spoken and shy as I am, I couldn't ever muster up the courage to ask them if I could play. Even still, I was completely enthralled by the likes of Sonic the Hedgehog, Cool Spot, some Animaniacs game, and Clay Fighters. To me, they looked like interactive cartoons, and I was excited by the idea of actually getting to play and be a part of another world like that. 

I was still around 5 to 7 when, out of the blue, my parents brought me home a PS1. I don't remember ever asking for one, and certainly I wasn't expecting such a big gift, but I was none the less excited to start playing. It came with two demo discs, one of which I ended up losing at some point, but the very first game they bought me was Gex: Enter the Gecko. Somehow, despite it being incredibly simple, my dad had trouble setting the thing up to a tiny little telly they'd given me. It must've taken him at least 10 to 15 minutes as he struggled to figure out what went where and how you did this and that, but when I finally gave it a shot, I had it plugged up and booting in a fraction of the time. :P

From that point on, my interest in video games blossomed into a full on passion, becoming one of my main hobbies outside of reading and writing. Although I've grown somewhat jaded over the past few years due to an obscene number of anti-consumer business practises on part of most big name publishers and developers, I still have a ton of games I love to play.

Edited by CandiBunni
  • Like 4

I always had video games around growing up, possibly because I had young parents. Now, the main reason it interests me is because it's such an active medium. I get kinda bored and restless watching most tv shows or movies, I'll usually be on my Vita or phone during a tv show anyways. Gaming lets me be a little more engaged in worlds and stories.

• Like 1

My big bro had a Playstation and used to play Tekken and stuff with me when we were little kids. My mom wanted me to try more 'girl things' at the time so I didn't actually get a plug in console of my own until the PS2 came out and my brother gave me his old PS1 (glory be to backwards compatibility) and access to all his old games. I also had a Gameboy Advance that I had saved up for by doing extra chores and stuff. Eventually my parents caved and got me a PS2 of my own for Christmas and the rest is history. I think they finally accepted I was a gamer at heart. :D

Short of the simple fact that "I like it", which is reason enough...

It's something I enjoy thinking about... probably what I enjoy thinking about the most in terms of hobbies.  I find the industry fascinating, I find the technology fascinating, I find the communities fascinating (even if that's just to watch in awe of how low they can sink sometimes).  I've found certain games with certain kinds of stories tend to have a profound effect on me for a while after finishing them... probably because unlike movies and books, I play a role in how things go down.  Especially if it's the kind of game where choices mean something to me.

It's also one of the few things I've proven time and time again (almost to a fault) that I'm willing to splurge on.  Outside of food and video games... I'm one frugal ****. xD

Edited by FrecLognAizeW