Harder or Easier than Dark Souls?

GaryHyphenJon

I found it to be not very interesting tbh, But I think I just wasn't in the mood after the 1st boss.

I had a similar reaction. Hit the first boss and found out this is a game about learning through forced dying and restarts, a lazy style of game design I no longer respect.

redmustang72: any tips for which class to play?

I chose the rogue class, didn't have any problems, but I don't think it makes any vast difference, and on NG+, ++, it's only magic classes you change, so just pick whatever you like.   The game isn't that hard once you get used to it. and you need to play all three magic classes for the trophies anyway, all of which have useful abilities.   Perhaps rogue or warrior going by what others are saying...

• 3 months later...

I haven't finished the game yet, only played for about six hours, but my opinion is not very favourable. I find this game to be harder to play than the Souls games - yeah, harder to play. I'm just not feeling it. The combat is a lot slower and worse, in my opinion, partially due to how the world is constructed. Tight hallways are not uncommon, and when you're playing as a man in a big chunk of armour fighting even bigger monsters in even bigger chunks of armour, the fights are much less dynamic than in the Souls games. Dodging is slow and usually not very viable, so I've found that it's just a lot easier to tank the hits. It just isn't as fun as the versatile system in the Souls games. I also find the world and the enemies much less interesting than the Souls counterparts.

When it comes to difficulty I'm a bit torn. Playing as a cleric and using the spell that heals, makes tanking normal enemies very easy. In that regard the game is easy. I've found some of the bosses to be quite tricky, probably because I'm not that good in this game. As I said I'm playing without my head in the game, only fighting my way using brute force rather than tactics and clever play. The Souls games are more difficult for sure, but they are also much more fun to play, which also makes them easier in a sense, at least over time as you invest time into the games.

Oh good. This thread shares my frustration and boredom of the game. Since I am not overly good at these types of games, I found Cleric + Heals to be the easiest to cheese a lot of the bosses. Lots of Gauntlet usage and high Faith helped me beat the game 4 times... yes... FOUR times :(. Sometimes I hate 100%.

17 hours ago, Bartoulum said:

I haven't finished the game yet, only played for about six hours, but my opinion is not very favourable. I find this game to be harder to play than the Souls games - yeah, harder to play. I'm just not feeling it. The combat is a lot slower and worse, in my opinion, partially due to how the world is constructed. Tight hallways are not uncommon, and when you're playing as a man in a big chunk of armour fighting even bigger monsters in even bigger chunks of armour, the fights are much less dynamic than in the Souls games. Dodging is slow and usually not very viable, so I've found that it's just a lot easier to tank the hits. It just isn't as fun as the versatile system in the Souls games. I also find the world and the enemies much less interesting than the Souls counterparts. 

I just finished the game using the warrior and I agree with all of the above text.

The gameplay mechanics are a bit unpolished. Games that try to imitate the souls mechanics and end being like this, makes you think how great the From Software team is doing what they do.

At first I tried to do a good balance of evade, parry, whatever... but that doesn't pay well in this game. So I just fought my way the dirtier the better, trading blows, just trying to make mine stronger and quicker than the ones I was receiving.

The game feels shallow, the environments are bland. Half of the time I was trying to figure where to go next. And the character feels so chunky to move it's even disturbing.

Edited by Ekirne77
typo

1 hour ago, Ekirne77 said:

The gameplay mechanics are a bit unpolished. Games that try to imitate the souls mechanics and end being like this, makes you think how great the From Software team is doing what they do.

Agreed, it's really impressive what From Software have managed to create: Not only a fighting system that was unique and much more interesting than contemporary games, but also difficult to emulate for later games.

1 hour ago, Ekirne77 said:

The game feels shallow, the environments are bland. Half of the time I was trying to figure where to go next. And the character feels so chunky to move it's even disturbing.

Gah, I've had to look up a guide more than once because I was lost. The joy of exploration that was always present while playing the Souls games is just not there with LotF.

Will you be going for platinum in LotF?

On 31/1/2017 at 1:00 PM, Bartoulum said:

Agreed, it's really impressive what From Software have managed to create: Not only a fighting system that was unique and much more interesting than contemporary games, but also difficult to emulate for later games.

Gah, I've had to look up a guide more than once because I was lost. The joy of exploration that was always present while playing the Souls games is just not there with LotF.

Will you be going for platinum in LotF?

Yes, definitely. Only my last run as cleric is left, I've just finished my NG+.

Idk, maybe is just the slight resemblance to the souls saga that this game has, that is enough for me :blink: thing is, I maintain all I said. Is not a bad game though, a 7/10 for me at least, is just that the souls games are masterpieces.

I wouldn't play another knockoff like this, however.

P.S. got the platinum. The last boss can be tricky in NG+.

Edited by Ekirne77

• 2 months later...

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said except, to me, it doesn't resemble the Souls games at all. Demons/Dark Souls are damn near gaming works of art. Just the horrible mechanics alone in this crapfest of a game, makes me wonder why they didn't name it Developers of the Failed. Even the voice acting is below subpar. The only reason I'm still playing it is because I had to cancel my Gamefly membership and I've nothing else to play.

4/10.

As a slight tangent...I've been keeping an eye on The Surge, which so far looks a big improvement, albeit I'll be wanting reviews before I commit to any purchase, but there was a bit of info floating around that Deck13 had real issues with the LotF publisher, CI Games, and their persistent interference over what the game was supposed to be.   Apparently LotF turned into something D13 weren't happy with.   I don't know if that is true or not, but they have changed publishers for The Surge, and the game does look a lot faster with interesting combat and loot systems amongst other things.   If the reviews are positive for The Surge I'm quite willing to give D13 the benefit of the doubt, I'm well aware of all the problems LotF had as a game but on it's own, away from Souls comparisons, it actually wasn't that bad, there was the makings of a good game in there somewhere. :)

This game is very easy. Deaths are mostly avoidable, even on 1st runs against bosses. There are some tougher ones, but mostly due to poor design.

I rather enjoyed this game, for a budget title (or, at least, for the price at which I purchased it).

On April 25, 2017 at 4:09 PM, RedMustang72 said:

there was a bit of info floating around that Deck13 had real issues with the LotF publisher, CI Games, and their persistent interference over what the game was supposed to be.   Apparently LotF turned into something D13 weren't happy with.  

Sounds like excuse-making to me. This game had the feel of mediocre design talent handling an idea far beyond its capacity. Many of the problems in the game are clearly design errors, and I can't see how outside interference (other than a rush to print) is the problem.

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Sounds like excuse-making to me. This game had the feel of mediocre design talent handling an idea far beyond its capacity. Many of the problems in the game are clearly design errors, and I can't see how outside interference (other than a rush to print) is the problem.

Possibly, and I did say it was rumour, but how a publisher interferes is anyone's guess, look at the terrible decisions in Dead Space 3 via EA, from everything to cover shooting to a dev claiming co-op was enforced half way through production of what was supposed to be a single player game...never mind weapons, ammo and micro-transactions.   Whatever is actually true in any given situation with publishers, and to what extent, it's fairly certain that they do interfere.

I initially didn't like LotF, but ultimately it wasn't a bad game and I got enjoyment out of it.   That said, it was a Plus game for myself, and I probably wouldn't have been happy if I'd paid anything nearing full whack for it.   Giving them the benefit of the doubt doesn't mean I'm rushing to pre-order, or day one buy, The Surge, just that I'm willing to give them a chance to get it right, and I'm hopeful, given what I've seen and heard about The Surge, as it looks like a big improvement all round.  

• 2 weeks later...

Beat the 4th boss, finding this game mediocre and kind of a drag to be honest. Knowing that I missed some of the orange items needed for one of the trophies is pretty annoying as I don't know how difficult NG+ is compared to NG.

Do you ever get an item that allows you to travel between checkpoints? I know you get that kind of item late game in DS, if there is no such item in this game, endgame cleanup will be an absolute chore to track.

On 15. 5. 2017 at 0:29 AM, jaehyun1009 said:

Beat the 4th boss, finding this game mediocre and kind of a drag to be honest. Knowing that I missed some of the orange items needed for one of the trophies is pretty annoying as I don't know how difficult NG+ is compared to NG.

Do you ever get an item that allows you to travel between checkpoints? I know you get that kind of item late game in DS, if there is no such item in this game, endgame cleanup will be an absolute chore to track.

You won't get anything like that, but its not that hard to track. The map is simple and quite rememberable. You won't get lost in there

6 hours ago, Xgamersurvivor said:

You won't get anything like that, but its not that hard to track. The map is simple and quite rememberable. You won't get lost in there

My main worry was that even most mobs were quite unforgiving early on in the game making traversal more of a chore than it was necessary. Especially those golem things that moved relentlessly super fast, did away like 1/3rd of the health every time it attacked and gave me very little time for healing.

The game seems to be a bit easier after I got My Axe, flawless runes and beat the Champion and Beast which seemed to open most shortcuts, now I'm finding myself obliterating most trash mobs that I used to have trouble killing.

• 4 months later...
10 minutes ago, kusuriuriPT said:

is there any difficulty selection? Or its just like souls?

One set difficulty.

I've gotta agree with the generally unfavorable sentiment towards the game for the most part. Art direction, story and enemy design are pretty underwhelming and a lot of of the gameplay feels like playing Dark Souls underwater for lack of a better term.

It had some interesting ideas sprinkled in, i thought having to time your attacks rather than just spamming R1 to change some animations and damage output was really cool in particular.

1 minute ago, Happy said:

One set difficulty.

I've gotta agree with the generally unfavorable sentiment towards the game for the most part. Art direction, story and enemy design are pretty underwhelming and a lot of of the gameplay feels like playing Dark Souls underwater for lack of a better term.

It had some interesting ideas sprinkled in, i thought having to time your attacks rather than just spamming R1 to change some animations and damage output was really cool in particular.

I actually think that's a good description. I remember fighting one boss, and circling him at a slow pace, while bumping into him incessantly. Now that I look back, it really did feel like we were swimming...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm at the Infiltrator Boss. So not finished the game yet, I also took a swing at the champion, but I'm gonna go back to him later, as he looks pretty easy. I'll list my pros and cons for the game, so far.

Pros

Armour and enemy Design - The game looks has a Warcraft/Diablo/Darksiders vibe to it. With the really decorative and ornamental armour and weapon sets. The enemies look like they'd fit in, with those games as well.

Environments - So far the environments have looked pretty good. 

The Gauntlet - I like the Gauntlet, but I generally only find the projectile mode useful. 

Boss Fight Rewards - I like how, if you fight a boss in a certain way, you'll get a bonus weapon of some kind. The little extra challenge, is appreciated.

Cons

Story - It's been weak so far, I only know that Harklyn is a convict of some sort, who's with a priest, trying to find a guy called Antanas, and stop an invasion from the Rhogar.

Characters - Harklyn's not super-likeable and nobody else has really caught my interest, except the smith, who I swear they modelled after the Watcher, from Darksiders

Level Design - The types of enemies I've encountered in corridors, have been annoying. Especially the really big guys, with the shields. Though I've only had this problem, with the interior areas.

Speed - Harklyn feels too sluggish. It's like he's attacking at a slower speed, to give his enemies, an unfair advantage. Even though my Equipment burden is way lower than the halfway mark

Spells - They all start out very similarly, so I sometimes have a hard time, telling what spell I just cast. Until it takes effect.

Edited by James_Tonto

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2017 at 4:24 AM, James_Tonto said:

I'm at the Infiltrator Boss. So not finished the game yet, I also took a swing at the champion, but I'm gonna go back to him later, as he looks pretty easy. I'll list my pros and cons for the game, so far.

Pros

Armour and enemy Design - The game looks has a Warcraft/Diablo/Darksiders vibe to it. With the really decorative and ornamental armour and weapon sets. The enemies look like they'd fit in, with those games as well.

Environments - So far the environments have looked pretty good. 

The Gauntlet - I like the Gauntlet, but I generally only find the projectile mode useful. 

Boss Fight Rewards - I like how, if you fight a boss in a certain way, you'll get a bonus weapon of some kind. The little extra challenge, is appreciated.

Cons

Story - It's been weak so far, I only know that Harklyn is a convict of some sort, who's with a priest, trying to find a guy called Antanas, and stop an invasion from the Rhogar.

Characters - Harklyn's not super-likeable and nobody else has really caught my interest, except the smith, who I swear they modelled after the Watcher, from Darksiders

Level Design - The types of enemies I've encountered in corridors, have been annoying. Especially the really big guys, with the shields. Though I've only had this problem, with the interior areas.

Speed - Harklyn feels too sluggish. It's like he's attacking at a slower speed, to give his enemies, an unfair advantage. Even though my Equipment burden is way lower than the halfway mark

Spells - They all start out very similarly, so I sometimes have a hard time, telling what spell I just cast. Until it takes effect.

You make some great points here. I agree that the speed thing is very weird but your weapon speed is independent of equipment burden. If a weapon has the word "great" in front of it, you're going to have a slow swing even if you are naked.

For the big guys with the shields, I found the Quake spell works really well. I think the huge avatar naturally swings behind them, which is where their shield isn't. I gathered a group of three at one point rushing through and I hit a dead end and had to fight. I used the spell thinking it would help weaken one or two of them, but it killed all three with a single use. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The hardest part is getting used to the slower gameplay style. Once I ditched heavy armour and went medium I had a much better time.

Aside from one or two bosses, they're mostly really simple.

The only times the game gets difficult is when: a) you're mobbed (this game does not suit mob fights), b) you're running in circles trying to work out with identical hallway in which identical environment contains the door/chest you got a key for, c) when the game crashes and you have to do the last hour all over again, and d) those mage enemies which are harder than any boss simply because they interrupt all your attacks then explode in your face.