What's your favourite weapon?

StrickenBiged

I got hold of the Crow Hunter Badge last night, and bought the Blade of Mercy.

If you want to dual wield daggers (in their "trick" form) and strike so quickly that you can stun-lock most normal sized enemies, then you should definitely give these a look. However, they're highly missable if you don't meet Eileen the Crow in the game's earliest stages.

The easiest way to obtain the Crow Hunter Badge is to initiate Eileen the Crow's questline, then let her die in an encounter with a hostile hunter. Similar to the Souls games, she is one of those characters who moves around the game provided that you speak with her in certain locations. 

Eileen can first be found in Central Yarnham, before fighting the Cleric Beast. From the area with the dog cages, go past the house with the woman who wants you to tell her about a safe place, and into the building with the stairs that lead to the sewers. Once inside the building avoid the stairs and smash the boxes, etc, on the right hand wall to open a door. Go through, then hug the wall on the right. Smash some more boxes to find another doorway. She is through here, at the end of the area you're in. If you miss her here, then I don't think you will find her again until NG+. (I'm happy to be corrected there, I haven't done any testing).

You can try to kill her now, but as you're most likely a new character, she will most likely destroy you. So instead talk to her until she starts repeating herself.

She can next be found in Cathedral Ward, after killing the Blood Starved Beast in Old Yarnham. Once you have completely opened up all the gates in Cathedral Ward, from the lantern in the safe tomb, head forward through the main door and look right. Talk to her and she will warn you not to go back to the Tomb of Oedon.

Go to the Tomb of Oedon anyway and you will be attacked by another hunter called Henryk. Avoid him for a while, and Eileen will eventually turn up to fight him too. I let Henryk kill her, as I wanted the Blades early with this character. Loot her corpse, then either fight Henryk yourself or run away (if you die, her loot will still be there). Once you've looted her corpse, you can buy the Blades from the messenger bath in Hunters' Dream. (If you help her kill Henryk, then her questline will continue and you will next find her in the Grand Cathedral after killing Rom the Vacuous Spider. I haven't got that far personally.)

Anyway, like I said, these blades are awesome for quicker characters who like to get in and out quickly. They have the best natural SKL scaling available (starting at a base of C and going all the way up to S when +10). They also scale, to a lesser degree, with arcane (D base, B at +10).

Their normal form is a one handed shortsword. Pressing  :l1: splits the blade into two long daggers that you can dual-wield (gunplay will be unavailable). This mode allows for incredibly fast strikes. In dual-wield form, they also have a great, fast, dodging attack. Dodge then press  :r1: (shown as roll to  :r1: in the showcase video below) to perform a quick lunge forward with the dual blades. This can be great for bosses: dodge to a side then lunge in quickly for a powerful strike and some follow up attacks. Rinse and repeat until dead.

Here's a showcase of the moveset. I think you'll agree that the strikes are very, very quick.

So, what're your favourite weapons in the game? What type of builds to they suit, how do you get them, etc etc?

Edited by StrickenBiged

Not really much of a dexterity (or i guess it's skill now) guy.

Most of the time, i used Ludwig's Holy Blade in its two-handed form, but i also switched to the Hunter Axe for its overpowered R2 or the wheel for wheel reasons.

However, i'm considering starting a new run as a skill build, because the Chikage and the Best Claw, both of which i only obtained super late in the game, looks pretty damn cool.

As for guns, cannon only.

It's very solid. My STR based character uses this as a backup when I need something quicker than Ludwig's Holy Blade.

Yeah but there's one negative, when you hit someone with Ludwig's Holy Blade or heavy weapon like that, the enemy will stop during that time and do nothing unlike when you hit him by Saw Cleaver its feel like there's no effect. There's some exceptions of course, and I like it overall.

Yeah but there's one negative, when you hit someone with Ludwig's Holy Blade or heavy weapon like that, the enemy will stop during that time and do nothing unlike when you hit him by Saw Cleaver its feel like there's no effect. There's some exceptions of course, and I like it overall.

Is there a trick to making the stagger effect of the Ludwig greatsword to work, like buffing my STR stat or something? From time to time enemies don't seem to get affected by stagger and my STR character gets hit with a nasty counter.

I usually see enemies stagger when their health hits 50%, but if you do less damage than that they seem to shrug it off. Not sure if that's an official mechanic or if I'm missing something else.

Is there a trick to making the stagger effect of the Ludwig greatsword to work, like buffing my STR stat or something? From time to time enemies don't seem to get affected by stagger and my STR character gets hit with a nasty counter.

I usually see enemies stagger when their health hits 50%, but if you do less damage than that they seem to shrug it off. Not sure if that's an official mechanic or if I'm missing something else.

I guess that.. actually I didn't used Ludwig untill I start NG+.  Maybe its have to do with making the weapon more stronger.

A little off topic, but still in the general area - can someone explain to me why the kirk hammer does less damage than my axe (comparing two hand to teo hand and one hand to one hand)?

Both are leveled to level 5, both have no emblems attached (i tested them by removing these) and the kirkhammer shows a higher attack incthe stats.... Im at a loss. I have a strength build, around 25 str, 18 skill - and ive tested on multiple enemy types....

A little off topic, but still in the general area - can someone explain to me why the kirk hammer does less damage than my axe (comparing two hand to teo hand and one hand to one hand)?

Both are leveled to level 5, both have no emblems attached (i tested them by removing these) and the kirkhammer shows a higher attack incthe stats.... Im at a loss. I have a strength build, around 25 str, 18 skill - and ive tested on multiple enemy types....

Are you talking about base damage, or overall damage? Scaling plays a big role in damage, as well as damage type, and enemy resistance.

The Holy Blade and Tonitrus are my favorite. Not because I like their animations, but because that combination is the best one for all encounters. My holy blades damage is almost 700 (in the stats screen) and its thrust attack is extremely effective for enemies with high bash resistance, also its range is quite helpful. The Tonitrus is useful for liquid and jelly type enemies.

Despite these two weapons, the beast claws are fun to use, but rather ineffective for general encounters.

The scythe is the only weapon I'm missing atm, so I've no clue if I'd prefer that one over the others.

Despite these two weapons, the beast claws are fun to use, but rather ineffective for general encounters.

The scythe is the only weapon I'm missing atm, so I've no clue if I'd prefer that one over the others.

These are the two I want to get my hands on most I think. The Burial Blade (scythe) in particular looks absolutely brilliant, and might be a good partner for my Blade of Mercy when I need some reach. Shame it's right at the end of the game.

As I am playing a STR build, i used nearly all the game Ludwig's Grand Sword. I like the huge range of the R1 attack and the L2 attack is also nice when trying to kill ravens or snakes. Against bosses it's sometimes too slow so i switch to the Long Sword and bash them, the attacks use very low stamina. I tried the Wheel, but I don't know, I didn't liked it. Now I want to level up the Burial Blade as second weapon. 

As I am not using a pistol regularly, I have the Cannon as range dmg from time to time. ( When I find 10 bullets after 10 hours :D

Has anyone tried the Chikage?

Edited by karar