Don't buy anything guys.

TakeaShower__

I think just give people the freedom. This is how the devs make money off a game that is free without ads (cause that wouldn't be tolerated on the vita). Devs do this all the time for F2P games. I think you should just let people pay if they want to. 

I openly support microtransactions if people want to buy bubbles for the trophies, that's all good. Plus they may want to support the devs in making a great game and a way of supporting them is to purchase microtransactions.

• Like 4

90% of stuff is mad over priced as well. £25 for not even enough bubbles to unlock everything, no I'm good thanks.

Yeah, well i was talking with the #1 person to 100% the game and he told me he spent about 80 - 90 Euros to 100% the game as fast as he could and told me that was the most effective way to get bubbles. I'm thinking of buying the 5 dollar pack which gives you 50k worth of bubbles. and since there is an exploit I can use for my last three trophies when I get enough bubbles, I should be alright for 100%. But yeah, i'm not spending 45 dollars on half a mil of bubbles for a free game.

But as I mentioned before, I have no problem with supporting the devs (even if it is only 5 dollars) for a game that is quite fun.

• Like 1

What kind of devs are we supporting though?  I'm totally okay with spending money on games like Guacamelee, Tales from Space, Machinarium, Terraria, etc.  These are good games made me good developers, and paying money for them is fine.  I do not in any way support these developers who build their games around nickle and diming their customers.

You have to realize, these games are designed from the start to be microtransaction games.  They intentionally make them super-grindy (or implement impossible difficulty spikes) so that player is essentially forced to spend absurd amounts of money on games that really aren't even that fun.

So no, I will no support developers who make microtransaction games.  I think the pricing model and the way games are designed around it are toxic and damaging to the game industry, and I'm so sick of the market being flooded with these awful pieces of crap.  Why would I want to give my money to the developers who are doing this?  No thanks.

Note: That I haven't actually played Run Sackboy! Run yet, but I probably will in the near future.  I will not spend a single dime on it regardless.  I will, however, spend money on other games that aren't built around this pricing model.  Personally, I'm looking forward to Rainbow Skies, and Severed.

This game doesn't even have an absurd amount of permanent boosts to spend money on. If you were to buy all the permanent boosts it would come out to 20 USD and if that's absurd to you, then you probably have a financial issue. This game is by no means a twisted money scam made by the developers. If you want an example of a game that fucks you over on money look at Happy Wars, I've spent almost 1000 USD on that game over the course of 2 years and I still don't have a perfect setup for my main warrior. There's even people on that game that have spent over 5k USD; Run Sackboy Run doesn't even touch Happy Wars.

This game doesn't even have an absurd amount of permanent boosts to spend money on. If you were to buy all the permanent boosts it would come out to 20 USD and if that's absurd to you, then you probably have a financial issue. This game is by no means a twisted money scam made by the developers. If you want an example of a game that fucks you over on money look at Happy Wars, I've spent almost 1000 USD on that game over the course of 2 years and I still don't have a perfect setup for my main warrior. There's even people on that game that have spent over 5k USD; Run Sackboy Run doesn't even touch Happy Wars.

Im sorry i have to be the guy to say it but if your willing to spend 1K on a single game then you must be the one with issues.

This game has messages constistantly incouraging you to use things of value like hearts and missions skips. Even with double Bubbles you still need at least 550 thousand to unlock all bubble related costumes and maxing out single upgrade. (For upgrade trophy) This is on top of the chests and random occurance of the hearts in levels that are VERY rare.  Who knows the %Chance for Tokens and the Jackpot as you have to buy them with bubbles.

Its 25GBP for 250 retrys/500K bubbles not to mention the assortment of other mix and match 'Sack powers' that try to get you to buy stickers and chests in order to get hearts/bubbles through CHANCE rather than buying them directly...

The multipler is Bs too, you have to beat missions where some require you to spend bubbles on almost worthless perks and many random power ups you may see only by chance. This game is essentially pay to win and a huge grind without or with buying the double bubbles forever.

• Like 4

I've been playing this game since it came out on iOS and is definitely possible to 100% without spending ANY money. The more you play, the more costumes you unlock. The more costumes you unlock, the higher your multiplier increases and that multiplies the bubbles you collect. If you played Jet Pack Joyride (or Deluxe), it's essentially the same game, but with Sackboy.

I though this thread was just to point out that the permanent boosts are broken, but didn't realize it was a rant against FTP games. This is grindy, but not impossible by any stretch to 100% for Free.

• Like 1

I've been playing this game since it came out on iOS and is definitely possible to 100% without spending ANY money. The more you play, the more costumes you unlock. The more costumes you unlock, the higher your multiplier increases and that multiplies the bubbles you collect. If you played Jet Pack Joyride (or Deluxe), it's essentially the same game, but with Sackboy.

I though this thread was just to point out that the permanent boosts are broken, but didn't realize it was a rant against FTP games. This is grindy, but not impossible by any stretch to 100% for Free.

The multiplier doesn't multiply bubbles you collect. I'd probably be done by now if it did :(

The multiplier doesn't multiply bubbles you collect. I'd probably be done by now if it did :(

You are correct. Just fired it up on my iPhone (don't want to start on Vita until I finish either Fat Princess or Destiny of Spirits) and it multiplies the score as you run.

What kind of devs are we supporting though?  I'm totally okay with spending money on games like Guacamelee, Tales from Space, Machinarium, Terraria, etc.  These are good games made me good developers, and paying money for them is fine.  I do not in any way support these developers who build their games around nickle and diming their customers.

You have to realize, these games are designed from the start to be microtransaction games.  They intentionally make them super-grindy (or implement impossible difficulty spikes) so that player is essentially forced to spend absurd amounts of money on games that really aren't even that fun.

So no, I will no support developers who make microtransaction games.  I think the pricing model and the way games are designed around it are toxic and damaging to the game industry, and I'm so sick of the market being flooded with these awful pieces of crap.  Why would I want to give my money to the developers who are doing this?  No thanks.

Note: That I haven't actually played Run Sackboy! Run yet, but I probably will in the near future.  I will not spend a single dime on it regardless.  I will, however, spend money on other games that aren't built around this pricing model.  Personally, I'm looking forward to Rainbow Skies, and Severed.

So you have not played the game yet you are judging it and saying it's not fun? What kind of crap is that?The game is quite fun and the grinding is actually not bad tin this because of the absurd amount of fun I'm having. 

And seriously what would you rather?

Pay 2 bucks for some bubbles or a camo in Call of Duty. It's the same shit with AAA titles as well as free games albeit on PS4, PS Vita, iPhone, Android whatever...

You have to understand that it isn't like you are being forced to pay for anything either. It is all choice!

And please, before you comment again saying I'm wrong, go and play the game with a clear head and then come back.

Cheers.

• Like 1

"a financial issue" ... Wut? I have a financial issue, an issue with spending 20 bucks on a fucking digital item in the middle of a free game. It's not free if you spend money on it, it's a demo, it's a restricted piece of shit, it's any number of things, but it's not free. "Support the devs" people say, how about "Fuck that, this is a business, and if they make shitty business decisions then they shouldn't be suported" ... Speak with your wallet. I'll buy a game twice if I know it will help someone who doesn't have billions of dollars behind them, I bought Guacamelee 3 times, since that game was mentioned earlier. I plat'd it twice, and I played the shit out of it on Wii U. It's awesome, I want the people behind that to make more cool shit. You know what I don't want more of? Fucking endless runners that claim to be entirely free. They're not. And hiding behind the "you can beat it if you grind" excuse people use is a crock of shit and you all know it, a game is meant to be fun, challenging even, but not damn near impossible.

The most offensive thing is when a full on game tries to charge you for shit. Yes, I understand the whole "well if you're lazy, you can just unlock shit early" defense, and while I can see where you're coming from, if you're willing to spend over a hundred bucks on a million "GTA$" then you're probably missing the point of GTA.

I remember when people bitched about DLC, those were the good old days, bullshit DLC looks as nice as coming home to Alyson Hannigan lying naked on my bed compared to this.

• Like 1

So you have not played the game yet you are judging it and saying it's not fun? What kind of crap is that?The game is quite fun and the grinding is actually not bad tin this because of the absurd amount of fun I'm having. 

And seriously what would you rather?

Pay 2 bucks for some bubbles or a camo in Call of Duty. It's the same shit with AAA titles as well as free games albeit on PS4, PS Vita, iPhone, Android whatever...

You have to understand that it isn't like you are being forced to pay for anything either. It is all choice!

And please, before you comment again saying I'm wrong, go and play the game with a clear head and then come back.

Cheers.

My post was about microtransactions in general, not this game specifically.  I don't spend money on games like this because I do not support developers who use microtransactions. 

I wouldn't spend $2 on anything COD either.  It's not about AAA vs. Indie developers, if you read my post you will see I listed several indie games that I am a huge fan off (Drinkbox Studios, and SideQuest studios, as I'm a fan of Rainbow Moon and Mutant Blobs Attack.)  Personally, I think a good game is a good game, regardless of how much money was spent on development.  Again, it is games that are built entirely around microtransactions that I don't like.

I have sense played the game.  It's fun enough, and it does seem 100 percentable with a TON of time.  But as I've said, the developers won't be making any money from me because (I'll say it again) I do not spend money on microtransaction-based games.  This is a simple side-scrolling runner, I can play hundreds of them online for free, and I'm not shelling out money to buy bubbles or save-me hearts.

My point stands, microtransactions and DLC (in my opinion) are harmful to the video game industry.  It has resulted in a lot of horrible, low-quality, and over-priced content and it seem rather irresponsible as a lover of games to give money and support developers who use these tactics.

Edited by LiteraryRecluse
  • Like 2

My post was about microtransactions in general, not this game specifically.  I don't spend money on games like this because I do not support developers who use microtransactions. 

I wouldn't spend $2 on anything COD either.  It's not about AAA vs. Indie developers, if you read my post you will see I listed several indie games that I am a huge fan off (Drinkbox Studios, and SideQuest studios, as I'm a fan of Rainbow Moon and Mutant Blobs Attack.)  Personally, I think a good game is a good game, regardless of how much money was spent on development.  Again, it is games that are built entirely around microtransactions that I don't like.

I have sense played the game.  It's fun enough, and it does seem 100 percentable with a TON of time.  But as I've said, the developers won't be making any money from me because (I'll say it again) I do not spend money on microtransaction-based games.  This is a simple side-scrolling runner, I can play hundreds of them online for free, and I'm not shelling out money to buy bubbles or save-me hearts.

My point stands, microtransactions and DLC (in my opinion) are harmful to the video game industry.  It has resulted in a lot of horrible, low-quality, and over-priced content and it seem rather irresponsible as a lover of games to give money and support developers who use these tactics.

I understand that but the topic was about Run Sackboy! Run! So I chose to speak about the entirely. Also, you are absolutely fine to play the game without spending money on it, no one is saying you have to spend money on it. I'm just saying if people want to play the game and spend absurds amounts of money on the game, they should be welcome to without someone saying to a community to not buy anything. If you look at it, in the end of the day, who is paying their bills. The people that fund them (by microtransactions).

I know it's not about AAA vs. Indie games, as you previously stated you were looking forward to some games but you also said in the previous post you wouldn't mind paying for games like Terraria. Is that also a long grind without paying?

Moreover, yes, this is a simple side scrolling runner and yes, you probably can play hundreds online but the principle is probably the same everywhere. Take Jetpack Joyride for example. Grind until you have everything unless you want to pay an absurd amount of money.

And yes, DLC has presented in some trash (Metro locking us out of a difficulty for a start) but you said you'd support DLC on some games in the previous post (Terraria, Guacamelee etc.), now you are saying you don't support DLC and the studios that do it? That's a bit hypocritical don't you think?

Guacamelee also released a costume pack (or multiple), would you buy that because that game is your cup-of-tea and is not based around microtransactions?

Your money is your business but my inital point was that how this game approaches the free to play model is very unethical. Useing another IP and all its pre made content and then recycling the same three levels is very lazy. This may be the industry standard for mobile and android but keep this crap off everything else. They charge way too much for the purchasable things in this game and i wanted people to realise it incourages lazy, overpriced and repetitive game design. Purchase DLC in this game and you encourage that behaviour from developers.

Nitro, dear, you are totally misunderstanding everything I have said and it makes me terribly sad.  I am not going to argue for the sake of arguing, if you fail to comprehend my displeasure with the microtransaction pricing model and their corrosive effects upon game development then I'm afraid there is no point in continuing with this conversation.  Anyone with an ounce of intellect will understand by now how I feel about this methodology of game design.  Makes your microtransaction purchases if you really enjoy this type of game design and want to see more of it from more developers. (I...don't.)

• 1 month later...

I don't get why you would spend money on this game. Go take that money and buy Littlebigplanet for like 10 bucks used or LBP2 for 15. Hell there have been enough sales you can pick up LBP3 for 40 by now.

I bought LBP3 for PS4 a month or so ago for 18 bucks in EB, and have since seen it for 16.

Much better of an idea than RSBR.

• 1 month later...

I've spent SO long on this game that I wish there was a timer of how long you've spent on the game and still need the 10 costumes trophy!

I'm thinking of buying bubbles just to get it over with (I wouldn't be kicking myself for giving in).

If anyone wants to decide for me, feel free!