Visual Novels/Dating Sims

DeterminedArrow

I keep waiting for more of the otome games from Japan to be localized. In the meantime, for visual novels there is Danganronpa, Danganronpa 2, and Zero Escape Virtue's Last Reward. There's also Xblaze Code Embryo although I didn't like that one much. Steins;Gate will also be localized for it later this year and you can currently preorder in Europe- or anywhere since the site offers free World Wide Shipping. As for dating sims, the only thing that comes to mind are some digital psp games you can download- Hakuoki and Sweet Fuse at Your Side. I'll post again if I think of any more.

Conception II has some dating sim elements to it, Persona is the same though more friend sim.

You could always import some Japanese games and see if anyone's translated it to English, bit of a pain since you need to keep referencing the translations, but possible since Vita games are region free!

If you can read Japanese, then there's a treasure trove of visual novels; I've heard Ima sugu Oniichan ni Imouto da tte Itte!, Monobeno -pure smile-, Time Travelers, Kaihou Shoujo SIN and Shin Hayarigami are all excellent reads.  There's obviously the classics like CLANNAD, Little Busters!, Robotics;Notes and Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua] available on it as well, all excluding the latter of which are also on PS3.  There's White Album 2: Shiawase no Mukougawa, which is a personal recommendation, but that's only because Aquaplus/Leaf are the visual novel gods for me.  Then there's games like Dungeon Travelers 2: Ouritsu Toshokan to Mamono no Fuuin and ToHeart2: Dungeon Travelers which are DRPGs with heavy visual novel storytelling.  You know, for the more popular ones like Fate/Stay, you could import it and follow along the story with a translated version on the PC... but that's pretty worthless, since you could just play the PC version on its own and save yourself the money.   :unsure:

Now, if we're talking localised games?... your choices are very limited.  You could probably count on your hands the amount of localised visual novels there are, but it's increasing.  There's Xblaze: Code Embryo, the BlazBlue prequel, which is being joined by a sequel soon enough.  There's the two Danganronpa games which would probably be your best choice because they come from developers of a good rep, and then follow that up with Virtue's Last Reward since it comes from the same minds and shares similarities in story.  There's STEINS;Gate coming out on Vita soon which is an incredibly popular VN in Japan for its story (well-deserved I might add) so you should definitely keep that in mind.  Aside from that, I think that's about it for the west...

Oh, and there's Hatoful Boyfriend, if love stories about birds are your kinda thing.  :P

• Like 2

If you don't need the trophies it's easier to just play them on PC as there aren't many english translated ones on consoles..

https://vndb.org/ I think this site has pretty much all VNs listed so you can check out a quick overview and filter them to your liking. This is also a good place to get recommendations and stuff like that. ( It also used to have torrents but they're gone now :( )

Just like many people above, for VNs, I highly recommend Dangan Ronpa and Super Dangan Ronpa 2. They are one of the absolute best game series I've ever played.

How did I know you were going to recommend it?

Also; Am I the only one who likes this one? 

cover_large.jpg

Seriously, I may even go for platinum.

• Like 1

I think Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters is also a visual novel.

Also; Am I the only one who likes this one? 

cover_large.jpg

Seriously, I may even go for platinum.

I like the game too plus I'm also going for the plat. ^_^

Everything was mentioned, huh...? =D

If you want real dating sims, you would definitely need to go to Japanese territory. Conception II and Akiba's Strip (in a way) are pretty the much the only choices from localized games.

As for VNs... yea, again, everything was mentioned, but pretty much every JRPG also have VN elements.

I would consider Hyperdimension Neptunia PP to be a VN and I haven't seen it mentioned it yet, but I am not sure it is something you would enjoy if you're not already invested in the series and/or characters.  It also has some (very) light dating sim elements.  But as has been said half a dozen times in this thread already if you want a "true" dating sim you're gonna have to look to Japan exclusive games.  I know that Dream Club Zero has a Vita port, I'm sure there are likely some others.

Although the Telltale games aren't technically visual novels, they do play very similarly to them. Since Vita visual novels in the west are few and far between, these games could be an adequate substitute. If you really want to play a lot of visual novels and dating sims on the Vita, learning Japanese and importing games is sadly the only option. I usually use my PC to play them because of this.

I usually use my PC to play them because of this.

... b-but... but... trophies? :(

And why Im "the only one" with "starting-issues"? Where you guys started learning japanese? :D

Need hints, inputs, waypoints and stuff! :o

I dont like to say that, but.. yeah, basicly... "I need help" ... *shiver* ... feels weird to admit that. xD

... b-but... but... trophies? :(

And why Im "the only one" with "starting-issues"? Where you guys started learning japanese? :D

Need hints, inputs, waypoints and stuff! :o

I dont like to say that, but.. yeah, basicly... "I need help" ... *shiver* ... feels weird to admit that. xD

Trophies aren't everything, buddy. I still watch anime and read manga without trophies. I view VN's as a type of interactive manga that have the music and occasional voice acting of anime, so the story is usually a better reward than any trophy could be.

I'd also like some tips on learning japanese. If you find some, be sure to let me know too.

So I love Visual Novels and Dating Sims. Are there any really good ones for the Vita?

Virtue's Last Reward (really good)

Danganronpa 1, 2 (amazing)

Xblaze: Code Embryo (Blazblue prequel) 

Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters (the story is decent but the "gameplay" is super lame)

Edited by FKUSERNMS

Trophies aren't everything, buddy. I still watch anime and read manga without trophies.

Indeed. But its fun to collect them. :)

I'd also like some tips on learning japanese. If you find some, be sure to let me know too.

Someone gave me the tip I should learn kana first, because the puzzle is completing partly alone then.

Someone gave me the tip I should learn kana first, because the puzzle is completing partly alone then.

Yup, definitely start with Hiragana and Katakana.  It's like learning the ABCs, you need to learn it before you can get even look at the grammar and vocabulary. :)

• Like 1