Visual Novels/Dating Sims

DeterminedArrow

Agarest: You have to date 3 girls to choose who to marry and make kid with on the next generation. But it's also a SRPG, but I think it counts. Warning though these games are very very long.. >_<

Tears To Tiara II is a visual novel with SRPG battles. My sister's been playing it and she's hooked,

Xblaze but it's for vita ( I heard it's a visual novel according to my friend)

And to learn Japanese: Learn Hiragana and Katakana first. Start watching anime without subs helps you learn words etc. (At least for me, many people don't suggest it but I learned a lot that way, well maybe I'm a genius) Playing with the Japanese voice acting helps a lot too, though the english translated texts usually are translated pretty badly and are off from the original script. Play actual Japanese versions of the games( My sister actually learned many hira, kana and kanji just by playing Zero No Kiseki EVOLUTION)

Japanese versions are usually cheaper atleast if you live in my country( we have huge taxes on games)so I usually save 20-30€ by buying them from Japan. (Main reason why almost all my PSP games are Japanese haha!) And like people have already noted that learn grammar & vocabulary after you have learned hira & kana. To learn kanji: learn them the same way they do in Japanese schools. There are tons of websites on internet which have the kanji listed in the same way they teach them in Japan starting from 1st Grade with 80 Kanji and so-on..If you learn by writing: write! Keep writing them until you don't need the book. That's how my teacher told me. :D

• Like 1

Agarest: You have to date 3 girls to choose who to marry and make kid with on the next generation. But it's also a SRPG, but I think it counts. Warning though these games are very very long.. >_<

Tears To Tiara II is a visual novel with SRPG battles. My sister's been playing it and she's hooked,

Xblaze but it's for vita ( I heard it's a visual novel according to my friend)

And to learn Japanese: Learn Hiragana and Katakana first. Start watching anime without subs helps you learn words etc. (At least for me, many people don't suggest it but I learned a lot that way, well maybe I'm a genius) Playing with the Japanese voice acting helps a lot too, though the english translated texts usually are translated pretty badly and are off from the original script. Play actual Japanese versions of the games( My sister actually learned many hira, kana and kanji just by playing Zero No Kiseki EVOLUTION)

Japanese versions are usually cheaper atleast if you live in my country( we have huge taxes on games)so I usually save 20-30€ by buying them from Japan. (Main reason why almost all my PSP games are Japanese haha!) And like people have already noted that learn grammar & vocabulary after you have learned hira & kana. To learn kanji: learn them the same way they do in Japanese schools. There are tons of websites on internet which have the kanji listed in the same way they teach them in Japan starting from 1st Grade with 80 Kanji and so-on..If you learn by writing: write! Keep writing them until you don't need the book. That's how my teacher told me. :D

I'm also trying to learn Japanese, and would LOVE to buy more Jap games but I live in Norway :( custom limit is a bitch!! (It's 200 NOK, btw)

@Kashy, @Vincent ... Yeah, I thought romaji would be the startpoint. :P And my book here, it is the first one in its series, is starting with numbers... Thats a pretty overwhelming startingpoint. :D

And yes, I prefer japanese anyway.

SquareEnix also is the only company that is doing great english audio, probably. I mean, FF13 doesnt provides a japanese audio, but the english one is pretty solid. I watched then some japanese videosequences on YT for reference and yeah, SquareEnix did imo really a great job on the english ones.

When Im playing eg Neps in english I get a shiver... not just because the voices, also because the "acting". It seems they are trying to give them different personalities.

...and in anime, even the german audio is better most times than the english ones, but they are awful too. :P Especially the acting.

So, yeah im watching japanese dub with german sub, I dont think I would understand anything when I would watch it without, except names of people, names of attacks or whatever, and words that are recurring in general. So yeah, you are a genius, Vincent, or you are used to it because of your games. I dont think I could import games from Japan, I mean, I bought some stuff on blackfriday 2014 in Canada and I never recieved it. Tracking says it is in my country but it seems nobody cares... o_o I wrote to the shop, to DHL and to PayPal. Nobody can do anything ... nice... 

But yeah, Im going to buy next month a book about kana and a book called "janapese for manga-fans". Lets see what happens...

• Like 1

@Kashy, @Vincent ... Yeah, I thought romaji would be the startpoint. :P And my book here, it is the first one in its series, is starting with numbers... Thats a pretty overwhelming startingpoint. :D

And yes, I prefer japanese anyway.

SquareEnix also is the only company that is doing great english audio, probably. I mean, FF13 doesnt provides a japanese audio, but the english one is pretty solid. I watched then some japanese videosequences on YT for reference and yeah, SquareEnix did imo really a great job on the english ones.

When Im playing eg Neps in english I get a shiver... not just because the voices, also because the "acting". It seems they are trying to give them different personalities.

...and in anime, even the german audio is better most times than the english ones, but they are awful too. :P Especially the acting.

So, yeah im watching japanese dub with german sub, I dont think I would understand anything when I would watch it without, except names of people, names of attacks or whatever, and words that are recurring in general. So yeah, you are a genius, Vincent, or you are used to it because of your games. I dont think I could import games from Japan, I mean, I bought some stuff on blackfriday 2014 in Canada and I never recieved it. Tracking says it is in my country but it seems nobody cares... o_o I wrote to the shop, to DHL and to PayPal. Nobody can do anything ... nice... 

But yeah, Im going to buy next month a book about kana and a book called "janapese for manga-fans". Lets see what happens...

I started learning Japanese on my 6th or 7th grade which was years ago. But I remember having similar book which I learned Japanese from(+classes and my teacher) It was called Kana De Manga or something like that. Other good ones where How to Draw Manga and so on..Books like that have very simple way of teaching hira and kana which is a good start also in my country and in some english manga they have kept the Japanese sound effects. The translations are usually on the edge of pages with smaller font. It's also a good way to learn Japanese as you read.

If you wanna buy Japan imports try Hong Kong. PlayAsia and YesAsia are good stores where you can order. They also have free shipping now and then. 

I wouldn't recommend self studying, i think you should enroll in a language course or something. Either way this might be a useful thread http://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/2792-learning-japanese-useful-resources/?fromsearch=1

I agree in that Japanese is a language where a proper classroom setting is much better than self-studying but in countries like mine where the interest in Japanese media and culture is fairly low, it is sometimes the only option.  It's not an option in our secondary schools, the only college courses are for Chinese and not Japanese, and I had a hard time finding any outside classes.  But I've progressed pretty well in my time self-teaching; it's just all about motivation and self-discipline. :)

it's just all about motivation and self-discipline. :)

I dont think so. I mean, if, most of us would giver over9000%!

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/21413-what-made-you-buy-a-vita/page-12#entry569647

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/21413-what-made-you-buy-a-vita/page-12#entry569834

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/21413-what-made-you-buy-a-vita/page-12#entry570179

I never thought this way about it ... maybe they are right.. dunno. :)

Oh, I disagree. While the localization of Compile Heart games has been suspect (as well as some Gust and NIS titles), I think many Japanese companies get it right. The voice work (and localization) of Persona 4 was excellent in my view (and emulated nicely in Akiba's Trip). FROM software has never had anything BUT great English audio.

But anyway, that's not why I am here. Are there any good dating-sim-type games for the PS3? I have to confess - I've had a hankering for these things. I don't want anything creepy (so, e.g., I don't want to see some 5-year-old girl as a potential dating partner), but my wife and I have had fun with these games in the past.

English language, though...

... b-but... but... trophies? :(

And why Im "the only one" with "starting-issues"? Where you guys started learning japanese? :D

Need hints, inputs, waypoints and stuff! :o

I dont like to say that, but.. yeah, basicly... "I need help" ... *shiver* ... feels weird to admit that. xD

I'd also like some tips on learning japanese. If you find some, be sure to let me know too.

1) Watch a LOT of anime and learn words and grammar basics

2) Start learning Hiragana

3) Start learning Katakana (you don't particularly need to do it as deeply as hiragana, but it definitely helps in games)

4) Give a shot to any Japanese game in Japanese. It can be anything, something you already played, or something you wanted to play.

You can try PSP (provided you have one) or PC if you don't wish to invest money. You are better of choosing something that isn't heavy text based (e.g. VLR xD) and has most lines voiced. (Unless you are jishiin in your sukiru)

This is by far the best way how to get passive knowledge of kanji.

On the other hand, active knowledge of kanji requires practice and a LOT of practice.

So if you can, it's best to do step 2 and 3 in the organized group or in school.

As for playing localized versions with JP audio, well, that must be obvious choice for learning Japanese, but rather than looking at the localized text as a translation, it's better to look at the differences between audio and the text. (Which is another valid reason why English audio is an absolutely redundant part of the game)

... b-but... but... trophies?  :(

Not all VNs were released for PS3/PSV...

FF13 doesnt provides a japanese audio, but the english one is pretty solid

Raito-chan returns provides it as DLC.

And... Sakamoto Maaya is a great seiyuu => JP audio wins.

Persona 4 was excellent in my view

Persona 4 voice acting wasn't excellent because it removed HanaKana.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Not all VNs were released for PS3/PSV...

When Im trying to make a joke, people will think I meant it serious.

When Im serious, people tell me Im too sarcastic and a waste of time. *hugs kashy-buddy*

... Thats anoying. xD

Raito-chan returns provides it as DLC.

And... Sakamoto Maaya is a great seiyuu => JP audio wins.

This is out of question. Japanese-audio always wins. I just said they did a solid job on the english ones and the missing japaneseaudio isnt thaaaat big problem. Its not like with Bandai or Iffy where you get earbleeding and shiver. :D

The only question would be... When I played 2/3 of the series (FF13 and FF13-2) in english because I got forced to it, why should I suddenly play FF13-3 with japanese voice, that also will cost you 4$? xD Yes, really, Square charges you for that DLC.

You can try PSP (provided you have one) 

I had one... but back then I had no internet and only knew AAA and graphicswhore stuff and was like the others... "It has no gamezzz!!"

... T_T ... So much stuff I must catch up from my childhood I never had. ... And this is why Im still loving Detective Conan. It was in TV, I got used to it and I want to know how the story (... its evolving sooooo slowly...) continues. ... And hell, japanese dub sounds waaaay better. ^_^

Edited by Neputyunu

2) Start learning Hiragana

3) Start learning Katakana (you don't particularly need to do it as deeply as hiragana, but it definitely helps in games)

4) Give a shot to any Japanese game in Japanese. It can be anything, something you already played, or something you wanted to play.

You can try PSP (provided you have one) or PC if you don't wish to invest money. You are better of choosing something that isn't heavy text based (e.g. VLR xD) and has most lines voiced. (Unless you are jishiin in your sukiru)

This is by far the best way how to get passive knowledge of kanji.

On the other hand, active knowledge of kanji requires practice and a LOT of practice.

So if you can, it's best to do step 2 and 3 in the organized group or in school.

As for playing localized versions with JP audio, well, that must be obvious choice for learning Japanese, but rather than looking at the localized text as a translation, it's better to look at the differences between audio and the text. (Which is another valid reason why English audio is an absolutely redundant part of the game)

Thanks for this. Once I can read it and understand the grammar, I'll probably play a gbc pokemon game like I did when I was learning German and just look up anything that I don't fully understand. I already watch/play everything in whatever dub the native language is, whenever possible, because they are the VA's chosen and paid the most to do the job well. I guess steps 2 and three will probably be the hardest since it's a change from a roman alphabet to something completely new.

Wait, no, no, that's a terrible thing to recommend.  Do not try to learn Japanese vocabulary and - even worse - grammar from anime.  You need a class, a textbook, or an online supplement to teach you the intricacies, exceptions and rules of grammar.  Anime isn't going to teach you Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji and their recommended stroke order.  Anime isn't going to teach you that you pronounce は as わ when used as a particle.  Anime isn't going to teach you verb conjugation and all about ~て form of verbs.  Anime isn't going to teach you the correct honourifics and where, when and how to use them depending on the formality of the situation.  Most importantly, anime is never going to teach what the on'yomi and kun'yomi readings of Kanji are, the different Kanji compounds, and their correct pronunciations depending on the compound.

I'm not trying to be a know-it-all here but if anyone thinks they're going to learn a whole language from start to finish and expect to be fluent primarily through anime, they'll be sorely mistaken.  At best, you will be able to form some sentences that you heard your favourite character say a few times over, and will be able to create super-basic sentences filled with grammar holes no doubt.  That's like if I were to start watching a Spanish drama and googled every time I heard them saying a certain phrase over and over, jotted it down and committed it to memory.  You'll get nowhere fast with that method, and I really hope that's not how you picked up what you know.

Here are some things people need, in my opinion, to learn the Japanese language:

• Obviously, learning through college or classes is best.  You'll most likely use the GENKI textbooks if this is the case.  If you're like me however and have no option but to self-teach, I highly, highly recommend TextFugu.  It's an online textbook built for self-learners and teaches everything clearly and slowly.  I actually used this in combination with GENKI.
  • Forget Romaji.  Try to get out of the habit of using it as early as possible.  It's not used in Japan, it was created solely for westerners to be able to read the Kana.  Use it at the beginning when you're only learning Hiragana and Katakana, but try to become a good reader of those alphabets soon to ditch the Roman alphabet.
  • Repetition is key.  When I was learning Hiragana and Katakana first, I filled a copybook with the different symbols and committed them to memory through repetition.  You're going back to the beginning of a language so you really have no other option.
  • Try to get in contact with someone who is fluent in the language, or a native.  You can ask these people for tips to clarify things if your textbook isn't being clear.  They'll be happy to help but don't pester them, obviously.  A friend of mine has created a thread here on the other trophy site to help people out since he's a Japanese translator, so feel free to throw him a message.
  • When you've reached a solid ground in the language, start importing games.  It's - in my opinion - the best way to improve fluency.  When you come across a new word, jot it down, find out the meaning, get the correct strokes and learn it as vocab.  Depending on the game, you can learn different vocabulary depending on how casual the setting is (for example, a school-based visual novel will use phrases and wording that young people would in Japan.)
  • Only start relying on anime and books and whatnot once you've reached a strong level of fluency.  In Japan, anime doesn't have subtitles, so you're relying solely on your hearing to get you through, and Japanese speaking is fast.  Go in too early and you'll get lost quickly, and will only pick up bits here and there.  Importing games is a better place to start earlier because you can take your time with each line of text and there's the game factor to keep you motivated.

Sorry for the essay.  Just felt like throwing my two cents into the topic.  There's a lot of people on the internet who claim to be fluent in the language and the extent of their fluency is probably 'Kawaii desu', so if you're learning the language, you're in for the long haul. :)

• Like 2

Wait, no, no, that's a terrible thing to recommend.  Do not try to learn Japanese vocabulary and - even worse - grammar from anime.  You need a class, a textbook, or an online supplement to teach you the intricacies, exceptions and rules of grammar.  Anime isn't going to teach you Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji and their recommended stroke order.  Anime isn't going to teach you that you pronounce は as わ when used as a particle.  Anime isn't going to teach you verb conjugation and all about ~て form of verbs.  Anime isn't going to teach you the correct honourifics and where, when and how to use them depending on the formality of the situation.  Most importantly, anime is never going to teach what the on'yomi and kun'yomi readings of Kanji are, the different Kanji compounds, and their correct pronunciations depending on the compound.

That's why I said words and basic grammar.

Basic grammar is a structure of Japanese sentence and you CAN get that from anime.

And for words, there's objectively no better alternative.

And te-forms, I'm not sure what kind of anime you usually watch, but te-forms are usually more common than ru/u ones.

Especially since anime simulates normal kaiwa, in which "blah blah blah te, blah blah blah ru." is a very common usage.

You don't need kanji yomikata for basic grammar, that's why it's a step 1. Starting with kanji is a suicide. 

It's much better to have a word base and then see how the words are written.

Basic grammar is a structure of Japanese sentence and you CAN get that from anime.

You can, but you shouldn't.  That's like a non-English native speaker learning basic English from SpongeBob.  Yeah, you can do it.  But it's definitely not recommended.  Like I said, the basic grammar is crucial to setting you up for the rest of the language, and if you half-ass it and not learn it thoroughly and properly through a trustworthy source, it'll come back to bite you in the ass later.

And te-forms, I'm not sure what kind of anime you usually watch, but te-forms are usually more common than ru/u ones.

Especially since anime simulates normal kaiwa, in which "blah blah blah te, blah blah blah ru." is a very common usage.

I'm fully aware.  The point I was making was anime will not teach you that.  You'll hear it frequently, that's a positive.  But anime isn't a teacher, or a textbook.  It's not gonna tell you the ins and outs of te/ru forms and how they are conjugated.

You don't need kanji yomikata for basic grammar, that's why it's a step 1. Starting with kanji is a suicide. 

It's much better to have a word base and then see how the words are written.

You have to start on Kanji pretty quickly though.  Like, right after you're happy with your Hiragana and Katakana fluency.  I don't know about you but the vast majority of Japanese learning outputs start on the Kanji teaching almost instantaneously after your standard beginner phrases and alphabet introduction.  GENKI, the most popular Japanese learning textbook, starts throwing the tough Kanji at you immediately.  Kanji is 70% of your Japanese sentences - Hiragana and Katakana are mostly just grammar - so someone learning the language has to get used to the fact that they'll be seeing a lot of it and have to learn it all too.  There's a reason it's a difficult language.

I just can't see how someone can recommend learning the grammar through a cartoon, whether it's just the basics or not.

Disclaimer: This isn't an argument.  Just a heated debate on how a beginner starts learning. ;)

Edited by Kashiyuka

Oh, I disagree. While the localization of Compile Heart games has been suspect (as well as some Gust and NIS titles), I think many Japanese companies get it right. The voice work (and localization) of Persona 4 was excellent in my view (and emulated nicely in Akiba's Trip). FROM software has never had anything BUT great English audio.

But anyway, that's not why I am here. Are there any good dating-sim-type games for the PS3? I have to confess - I've had a hankering for these things. I don't want anything creepy (so, e.g., I don't want to see some 5-year-old girl as a potential dating partner), but my wife and I have had fun with these games in the past.

English language, though...

I don't think thats all that common although I'm not a fan of loli character designs, although the creepiest one I heard about in a mainstream game was Dragon's Dogma, apparently your partner could be this annoying kid in the story.

I think Sweet Fuse is in English and I only know about that game because Keiji Inafune is in it, you might play his niece or something and have to date random guys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Fuse:_At_Your_Side

You can, but you shouldn't.  That's like a non-English native speaker learning basic English from SpongeBob.  Yeah, you can do it.  But it's definitely not recommended.  Like I said, the basic grammar is crucial to setting you up for the rest of the language, and if you half-ass it and not learn it thoroughly and properly through a trustworthy source, it'll come back to bite you in the ass later.

I'm fully aware.  The point I was making was anime will not teach you that.  You'll hear it frequently, that's a positive.  But anime isn't a teacher, or a textbook.  It's not gonna tell you the ins and outs of te/ru forms and how they are conjugated.

I just can't see how someone can recommend learning the grammar through a cartoon, whether it's just the basics or not.

Disclaimer: This isn't an argument.  Just a heated debate on how a beginner starts learning. ;)

I think this is bang on.  Also subtitles are literally no help, as in official translations dubtitles are common and in fansubs they commonly try and take creative license and add their own personal flair, I know for a fact that shonen mangas/animes would not repeatedly have the f word in them.  This seems funnier when you consider outside of the gangsters threatening people in the Yakuza games there's little to no swearing and thats an adult orientated game.

That said its more than possible to use it as an aid, however the chances of you picking up unusual speech that is not correct japanese is more likely.  Realistic watching a japanese drama or soap would likely you give a flavour for normal speech patterns.

I'm not arguing either but if you are serious about speaking japanse anime is not the way to go.  Things like the shape of peoples mouths while they speak is another important fact in learning language and you will not get that from cartoons.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1

You can, but you shouldn't.  That's like a non-English native speaker learning basic English from SpongeBob.  Yeah, you can do it.  But it's definitely not recommended.  Like I said, the basic grammar is crucial to setting you up for the rest of the language, and if you half-ass it and not learn it thoroughly and properly through a trustworthy source, it'll come back to bite you in the ass later.

II think I have pick up some basic grammar from anime. For example I've figured out that の functions similar to the Genitive des and der in the German language or the preposition of in the English language where x  y is y of x. Hi no tori for example would literally be a bird of fire or a phoenix. I've also picked up that there are no articles in the Japanese language. And I've learned a few basic words like a few animals, colors, numbers, etc. from anime. I think this might be what Satoshi meant by basic grammar and words. It is best to learn more advanced things from a book or a class, but for basic things like this I don't see the harm in learning from anime. Unless all of what I said was wrong, then I can see the problem.

• Like 1

II think I have pick up some basic grammar from anime. For example I've figured out that の functions similar to the Genitive des and der in the German language or the preposition of in the English language where x  y is y of x. Hi no tori for example would literally be a bird of fire or a phoenix. I've also picked up that there are no articles in the Japanese language. And I've learned a few basic words like a few animals, colors, numbers, etc. from anime. I think this might be what Satoshi meant by basic grammar and words. It is best to learn more advanced things from a book or a class, but for basic things like this I don't see the harm in learning from anime. Unless all of what I said was wrong, then I can see the problem.

I'd have to ask though did you lern this pure from anime, or were you learning and then picked this up, because I'd be suprised if the average person picked that up.

Pure from anime. I'm OCD and I pick up patterns very easily.

I think you're better at languages than the average person, I know lots of people who have picked up absolutely nothing from watching any programme in any language granted most of those probably didn't want to learn the language.  I think i'd have to actively look for it to learn something like that.

I don't think thats all that common although I'm not a fan of loli character designs, although the creepiest one I heard about in a mainstream game was Dragon's Dogma, apparently your partner could be this annoying kid in the story.

I think Sweet Fuse is in English and I only know about that game because Keiji Inafune is in it, you might play his niece or something and have to date random guys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Fuse:_At_Your_Side

That was weird in Dragon's Dogma. 

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

heh this is why people should watch anime and play games in their original audio. But still I'd still suggest taking classes. Altho, what u learnt from anime will help you a lot when actually taking classes. I managed to skip the basics and took the intermediate classes right away when I started mine lol. Now on advanced w/o any difficulties \o/

I was speaking from my point of view ;) I obviously cannot speak for others, right? =D

I'd have to ask though did you lern this pure from anime, or were you learning and then picked this up, because I'd be suprised if the average person picked that up.

Guess I'm also not that average xD

But yea, it made me wonder why I learned next to nothing in my first year of Japanese class.

Yep, this is exactly what I meant.

But from reading Luffy's point of view, it seems we are the minority that can use it =D

And since we're talking about this, I learned English from Pokemon so... I had no reason to change my ways for Japanese xD