Visual Novels/Dating Sims

DeterminedArrow

So, since I stumbled across this thread just now I might be a little late for the discussion but I do have something useful for the japanese learners in this thread:

There is a resource called Kanjidamage that was mentioned yet. It is really useful since it teaches Kanji based on their radicals.

It is nicely organized and the vocabulary is ordered in a way that will teach you the parts a Kanji is made of before the individual Kanji. That way you only have to memorize how to write each part that is used in many different Kanji.

This is possible because the Japanese Kanji are designed logically, meaning that every Kanji is made up of smaller parts which either are a Kanji themselves and have a meaning themselves or a radical which has no meaning but can be associated with a certain kind of Kanji. For example there is a radical which means absolutely nothing, but all Kanji containing that radical are associated with sickness.

Also, the site features mnemonics and backlinks to the different parts a Kanji is made of, so you can remember it easier and look up radicals which you have forgotten.

Kanjidamage has several downsides, though. Because of the way the Kanji are taught from easy to complex, it also means that many complicated Kanji which are used very frequently are taught last and less useful Kanji, which are easier are taught first.

Another problem is that Kanjidamage does not teach many Kanji, because the author has removed "Kanji which are written in Hiragana 90% of the time and Kanji which are almost never used at all" so you might wanna use this as a supplement for easier learning of Kanji.

The website is free, by the way so it doesn't hurt to try it.

Edit: 

I forgot to mention that everyone who is looking for basically free online resources for learning Japanese should check out the Daily Japanese Thread on 4Chan's /a/ board. They have a pastebin with a complete guide to multiple ways of learning and a really useful pastebin just for learning resources which contains links to different books, websites to download raw manga and anime as well as Japanese subtitles for said anime, so you could at least learn to read some new Kanji through the use of anime. Also they have a link to a tool which makes learning through VNs much easier because it can recognize the Kanji in the VN text and translate them if you can't figure out the meaning from the context and radicals. Those are all nice ways to provide some more fun and generally make learning easier.

Edited by xFalionx
  • Like 1

Norn9: Var Commons is being localized and released on the Vita (physical and digital in NA and digital only in EU). The announcement was on the PS Blog today.

Anyone know anything more about it?

From the post, the only thing that I know about it is that it's Otome.

Edited by theguytom

So basically, once again America gets screwed over?

Not really because they're not really very popular in the west.

There is a few in the West though, Virtues last reward, dangan ronpa 1 and 2 and STeins;gate is out here in the UK Friday no mention on US release as of yet though 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if too late but....I can say that i found one on the PS Mobile side of the PS Store, it's called Don't Die Dateless, Dummy!

Played the demo for a few minutes and it seemed alright, full game is $3, so probably shouldn't expect too much.

Not sure if too late but....I can say that i found one on the PS Mobile side of the PS Store, it's called Don't Die Dateless, Dummy!

Played the demo for a few minutes and it seemed alright, full game is $3, so probably shouldn't expect too much.

Oh yea, there were things like this...

While these things can be called visual novels, they are actually pseudo ones. 

Indie VNs shouldn't be considered true VNs...

• 3 months later...

These are all great suggestions, considering I think I have most of what has been mentioned in my tiny collection. :)

Did anyone mention Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection? I think that deserves a mention separate from the other HN games because to me it's more of a stats game, and stats games come easy to those who play dating sims. 

Also, memrise.com is awesome for language learning. Just my own experience.

Question: does anyone know of any Japanese visual novels that give trophies just for completing the chapters? I want to start out with more of a basic story since it isn't my native language. Basically, are there any easy platinums for those who love VNs and are learning Japanese? :P (Please don't kill me) 

Question: does anyone know of any Japanese visual novels that give trophies just for completing the chapters? I want to start out with more of a basic story since it isn't my native language. Basically, are there any easy platinums for those who love VNs and are learning Japanese? :P (Please don't kill me) 

Afaik every? xD

Just check a few TOP 10 users on the leaderboards and you will find many VNs on their profile.

This could fall 2 ways.

Firstly you could argue that some people play linear VN's for simple trophies, or alternatively you could argue that they happen to like that style of VN (not unlike the walking dead game really).

I have read all this thread so far and I think Kashiyuka's advice on learning Japanese is invaluable.

In my opinion, you can learn basic JP from playing JP games and watching anime, but this will be restricted and may not be grammar perfect.

You can self teach from books and from repetition (which is very important as long as you repeat things correctly) but ultimately there is no substitution for a class room setting hosted by a qualified foreign language speaking person.

The bottom line has to be this...

What do you want to achieve?

Basic understanding or fluency, or somewhere in the middle?

Learning is at its absolute best when it is fun, and games are fun, the two can work together.

Edited by JapanimeGamer
  • Like 1

Afaik every? xD

Just check a few TOP 10 users on the leaderboards and you will find many VNs on their profile.

Clannad doesn't xD. You get 1 for starting the game, and most of the rest are obtained by which ending you get.

The other issue with VNs in Japan is that they take a while to go down in price. Irotoridori is still 7000 yen for a new copy http://www.amazon.co.jp/dramaticcreate-%E3%81%84%E3%82%8D%E3%81%A8%E3%82%8A%E3%81%A9%E3%82%8A%E3%81%AE%E3%82%BB%E3%82%AB%E3%82%A4WORLDS-END-RE%E3%83%BBBIRTH-/dp/B00QA4VBAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443148593&sr=8-1&keywords=%E3%81%84%E3%82%8D%E3%81%A8%E3%82%8A%E3%81%A9%E3%82%8A%E3%81%AE%E3%82%BB%E3%82%AB%E3%82%A4WORLD%E2%80%99S+END-RE%E3%83%BBBIRTH-

• 1 month later...

I have started to import Japanese VN's for when I can read them to a high enough level to understand them, I am getting there slowly but I do not want to be a *spam the X button* player, I bought them to use as a tool to help my learning to read kana whilst still being able to game.

For this reason I prefer JP voice and JP text, although most of my current games only have one or the other of those elements.

• 4 weeks later...