Online Support: Officially Extended

F22-Razgriz

2K Sports turns NBA 2K14 back on, extends online support to legacy titles

by Ben Parfitt 

Wednesday, April 8th 2015 at 10:48AM BST

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/2k-sports-turns-nba-2k14-back-on-extends-online-support-to-legacy-titles/0147702

Players of 2K14 are now once again able to access their single-player careers.

Yesterday MCV reported that 2K’s activation of the game’s online servers had a particularly nasty side-effect – players found themselves unable to access their offline career progress as the way the game was built meant that the title would check in with the servers upon loading.

Fortunately, full functionality was restored to the game overnight. And better still, 2K has said that it will extend the time it offers online support for its titles.

“2K has restored the NBA 2K14 servers and all online services,” the publisher told MCV. “Beginning today, we are extending the support of all NBA 2K servers from 18 to 27 months following each release, giving our players more time to experience and enjoy the highest rated NBA simulation video game franchise.

“The opinions of our community continue to have a positive impact on our business decisions as we strive to create the best possible experience for all of our fans.”

The shut down had initially occurred on March 31st, just 16 months after the game was first released. 2K had previously said that the move would not affect single player games.

The length of time that publishers are continuing online support for new releases is diminishing overall. There are two factors at play here – more online games means increasingly split player bases, so communities are abandoning games faster than they were before.

In addition, more online titles means more severs for publishers to maintain, escalating the cost of supporting legacy titles.

BRILLIANT!! ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!  B)  :yay: 

Thank you @2K_UK for listening to your true and avid fans of the franchise!

Just to be CLEAR, I don't own 2K14 nor 2K15 per say, BUT I have been consistently complaining to them and asking them

to LEARN a thing or two with @Rockstar, perfectly example, the not so recent revival of the GTAIV Servers last year *(2014)

which gave way to most players, to get that  :platinum: *including myself, what a grind it was.

**But that's besides the point.  :giggle: 

Am happy that most players can now get that 2K14 Plat, because of this extension. From 18 to now, 27 months support.

I'll be looking forward to most 2K sports titles be like this and follow this trend.!

BIG BIG KUDOS 2KSPORTS!! 

P.S: To game director of EA Sports LIVE series, who also happend to be a good 'chat' friend of mine via Twitter.

I meant NO SHOT at you, good fella! But let's all just take this as a 'grain of salt' shall we.?  :highfive: 

Cheers!

-Razgriz

Edited by xf22Razgriz
  • Like 3

Hopefully they release a patch for the game that allows single player to be played without the servers. I'm not a heavy sports game player so this doesn't really matter to me, but it just doesn't seem right that they promise closing the servers wouldn't effect offline play and then it does. Reopening the servers is just a bandage for this wound; it'll work for a while, but if there isn't a patch then the wound won't heal correctly and this will be an ugly blemish on the body of 2K's work.

Edited by theguytom

EDIT: Looks like for PS4/XBONE versions only :( was hoping they turned them on for the PS3/360 versions as well. Oh well!

Really.?  :hmm: Sorry as I don't have the copy of the game, so I couldn't test.

But let me feed that back to there support group. "who happen to be paying attention, as of late".

Then I'll update this post.  :eyebrow: 

Hopefully they release a patch for the game that allows single player to be played without the servers. I'm not a heavy sports game player so this doesn't really matter to me, but it just doesn't seem right that they promise closing the servers wouldn't effect offline play and then it does. Reopening the servers is just a bandage for this wound; it'll work for a while, but if there isn't a patch then the wound won't heal correctly and this will be an ugly blemish on the body of 2K's work.

Did they removed that option to go offline like in NBA2K13.?

Cause mine, after they shut the hell out servers for 2K13, I was prompted to convert ALL progress via offline and converting Virtual currency to "SP" - Skill points as 1 = 1.

Let me query that as well to the team.  ;) 

Will keep you guys posted!

-Razgriz

Did they removed that option to go offline like in NBA2K13.?

Cause mine, after they shut the hell out servers for 2K13, I was prompted to convert ALL progress via offline and converting Virtual currency to "SP" - Skill points as 1 = 1.

-Razgriz

I don't actually play the game so I can't speak personally, but all the news articles that I see about the game point to career being unplayable when the servers are down. This is what I meant by unable to play offline. You might still be able to play individual games when the servers go down, but the career part of the game will be unplayable. This is why it needs to be patched.

I do have the digital download of the game from an earlier IGC, but I don't feel like downloading an 8GB game and any patches just to test this out. Like I said, sports games aren't really my thing.

• 4 months later...