Gran Turismo 5 General Discussion

Parker

I know there are quite a few people that enjoy the Gran Turismo series here, and this thread is for us to just talk and BS about not only Gran Turismo 5, but the series as a whole.

I've been a fan if the series since it debuted on the PlayStation. I remember Pizza Hut used to have demo discs and one of them had Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Medieval and I believe Klona. Ever since I played that demo I was absolutely hooked and have bought every single game on release, I've even imported the Signature Edition of GT5 as well as quite a few GT "mini titles" (like GT4: Prologue) just to have a nice collection.

So, to start things off how did my fellow forum goers discover Gran Turismo and what are your fondest experiences with the series?

Parker

It was the original GT on PS1, I remember the games magazines showing previews and screenshots, the level of hype around a racing game was unheard of before GT's time.

It was a day one release for me along with the ps1 dual analogue controller. I can't remember what grabbed me first, the amazing lifelike graphics (or so they seemed at the time!) or the way the rumble changed for each car, each surface and so on. I filled 2 of the 8MB memory cards with just various GT saves.

My favourite GT though has to be GT 3 A-spec.

Gran Turismo was the game that was used to introduce the "new" analog DualShock. Yes youngsters...there once was a time that the PlayStation controller had only a D-pad, it didn't rumble and had no thumbsticks. I've been a fan since day one and have bought every one on launch day ever since. I still have the bugged GT2 launch version that only allowed gamers to get up to the 98.2% completion. Every one that has been released in North America has seen the insides of my systems as soon as I could get them unwrapped.

So far, GT5 has spent more time in my PS3 than all of the rest of my titles combined. Prologue didn't get much love. I remember getting GT3 and spent hours just watching the opening movie sequence time and time again dreaming what the PS3 graphics would look like (rumor at that time was that the movie sequence was what the next gen regular graphics would look like).

No other racing game has come close to surpassing the handling of the game and it's my favorite series of anything virtual.

• Like 1

It was the advertisement that had the lad in the police station confessing to being in a crash with the Cerbera, Supra and Skyline that drew my attention to this. And then I just had to have it.

I did a quick hunt on youtube for the advert but could not find it.

Suffered badly with GT syndrome too - just had to get all the golds on the license tests and the one of the Skyline on Trial Mountain really was a pain.

I still think to this day that the actual racing in this game was the best of any of the GT games and I miss the bit that showed you the hp and weight of the competitors, as I always found it more enjoyable beating the AI when you knew you had lesser machinery.

It was the advertisement that had the lad in the police station confessing to being in a crash with the Cerbera, Supra and Skyline that drew my attention to this. And then I just had to have it.

I did a quick hunt on youtube for the advert but could not find it.

Suffered badly with GT syndrome too - just had to get all the golds on the license tests and the one of the Skyline on Trial Mountain really was a pain.

I still think to this day that the actual racing in this game was the best of any of the GT games and I miss the bit that showed you the hp and weight of the competitors, as I always found it more enjoyable beating the AI when you knew you had lesser machinery.

• Like 2

I bow to your gem unearthing abilities Lord PSXtreme.

I am your humble servant.

Ask and ye shall receive. :) If I had this Interweb thing when I was growing up, it would have made doing school reports oh so much easier.

Back on topic: I loved the "thumbprint" part!! It gave me a little chill. The American Ad was just as good.

http://youtu.be/hNOQpImbuN8

Other racing games are the bugs on our 240 MPH windshield....classic!

240mph? There wasnt much that could get to that sort of speed in GT. I think if you RM the Cerbera and set the gears long you could do it slipstreaming other cars and I think the Supra with 900hp could get there on the test track but that was about it

240mph? There wasnt much that could get to that sort of speed in GT. I think if you RM the Cerbera and set the gears long you could do it slipstreaming other cars and I think the Supra with 900hp could get there on the test track but that was about it

I didn't make the commercial...just repeating what it said ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Man oh man do I still love this game. I've been without a cockpit for a while while we re-organize our house and I've had to play my racing games with a controller. Not anymore! I've scored myself a nice, slightly used Playseat Evolution off of Craigslist and since it won't take up nearly as much room as my cockpit did (and will) we'll have no problem working around it. Very exited to be able to play with my wheel again.

Anyone else been participating in the GT Academy? I'm on the last challenge of round 5 now and have been really enjoying it.

Parker

Since it needed to be downloaded to play, I didn't join in. Just don't have the room on the HDD.

I'm right there with you. I rented RAGE a while back and still had the game data on my HDD incase I ever decided to buy it. Haven't bought it yet and the 7+gb install more than I needed for the GT Academy so it had to go. Good move I'd say, as I've had much more fun with the GT academy than I did with RAGE. :unsure:

I think later tonight I'll run another 4 hours of the 'Ring again. I'm feeling bonce stock ACR on Sport Hards...

Parker

• 5 weeks later...

I have to say I'm really enjoying the Scion FR-S and Twin Ring Motegi. A few buddies and I just finished a 10 lap race using bone stock FR-S' on Motegi and it was an absolute blast. I won by less than a second but position changes were very common during the race. I love the new track and low powered FR cars are great fun. I'll be enjoying this content for a while yet, I hope the online community likes it as well and I can race some randoms with the FR-S.

Parker

Can you still race the GT Academy stuff for the cars?

I know that it finished a few days ago, and I hadnt been near it in ages. The last I got to was round 6 but then there was a 10 day weight to round 7 opened and I just havent had the time.

If you cant do the last 2 rounds now I will just delete it and then try and find the time for GT5 again!

Can you still race the GT Academy stuff for the cars?

I know that it finished a few days ago, and I hadnt been near it in ages. The last I got to was round 6 but then there was a 10 day weight to round 7 opened and I just havent had the time.

If you cant do the last 2 rounds now I will just delete it and then try and find the time for GT5 again!

Yes, you can still launch GT Academy and gold the rounds to get the cars. It will pop up with a menu saying your time can't be recorded, but when you gold all the tests and go to the menu it will pop up with the screen saying you earned the GT Academy car. So don't delete it just yet.

Parker

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to tackle the 24 Hours of Le Mans. I haven't quite decided what car I'm going to use yet, but I've got it down to three. The two premium Group C monsters, the Mazda 787B and the Jaguar XJR-9 or the diesel Peugeot 908 HDi FAP.

Any suggestions?

Parker

I'm about to tackle the 24 Hours of Le Mans. I haven't quite decided what car I'm going to use yet, but I've got it down to three. The two premium Group C monsters, the Mazda 787B and the Jaguar XJR-9 or the diesel Peugeot 908 HDi FAP.

Any suggestions?

Parker

The Jag IS a sweet ride...but I'd lean towards the 787B if nothing more than the nostalgia feel for the older GT's. At one point the Toyota One, the Nissan 390 and the Madza 787 were the 3 fastest (besides the 2 tuned 4WD Suzuki's) in the game

The Jag IS a sweet ride...but I'd lean towards the 787B if nothing more than the nostalgia feel for the older GT's. At one point the Toyota One, the Nissan 390 and the Madza 787 were the 3 fastest (besides the 2 tuned 4WD Suzuki's) in the game

The 787B was pretty much my car of choice in GT3 and I do love the cockpit view and sound so I'll be running laps around Le Sarthe to see which one I'm more consistent with. My missus wants to help me run the race so I don't know if we should use the wheel or not. If we do she'll need a lot of practice using the clutch and shifter, along with throttle control. I don't use any aids (not even abs) so she'll more than likely give up after completely destroying my lead. :rolleyes:

Parker

• 2 weeks later...

I hit level 39 today and just have the 24 hour endurance races left. I've decided I'm going to use the Pug Diesel for the 24 hours of Le Mans and I may end up starting it tonight. I hope with the 200% log in bonus running the race once will be enough to get me to level 40, if not the Ferrari F1 seasonal events will be put to work again. With an 840PP F2007 (my Ferrari of choice, I prefer it over the F10) it's easy to get 1.8 million credits in about 13 minutes and you get a nice chunk of XP as well.

Parker

I'm about 8 hours into the 24 Hours of Le Mans and I'm loving it. My Wife has even run a few stints (the diesel Pug has paddle shifters so I've been using those on my wheel to instead of the H shifter) and while she did lose me a lot of time she had fun. Once I'm done with the race I'm going to teach her how to drive properly and we can do the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring together. I don't use any driving aids so it will be a while before she's comfortable I'm sure, especially with the high powered, rear wheel drive cars that will be needed to be competitive in the race.

Parker

• 1 month later...

So, I'm considering a time trial/lap leaderboard thread for the site here - would anyone at all be interested in it? Any suggestions on how to go about it?

Limit cars/power/tires/etc for tracks? Things like that.

Could we do something like this maybe?

Week 1:

BMW M5

Laguna Seca

Sports Medium

Week 2:

Ferrari F430

London

Racing Soft

They are just examples, but it would be cool if we changed the cars and circuits every now and again, that way it keeps the competition fresh.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I'm considering a time trial/lap leaderboard thread for the site here - would anyone at all be interested in it? Any suggestions on how to go about it?

Limit cars/power/tires/etc for tracks? Things like that.

I'd love that. There are a few ways it could be done, first we could just post the track, lap time, car and PP and have just a track leaderboard. We could also have weekly challenges where we all have the same car (with preferably the same set up as well) and try to get the best time on a track of your choosing. Those results could be posted as well.

Parker