Gran Turismo 5 General Discussion

Parker

I'd love that. There are a few ways it could be done, first we could just post the track, lap time, car and PP and have just a track leaderboard. We could also have weekly challenges where we all have the same car (with preferably the same set up as well) and try to get the best time on a track of your choosing. Those results could be posted as well.

Parker

In bold: That's pretty much what I was leaning towards. A Top Gear "Star In A Reasonably Priced Car" kind of deal. And also, possibly, a Race Day thing over the weekend [saturday/Sunday], just for fun. Maybe some One Make races or something like that.

I'm just curious. Is it possible to plat this game without a wheel? I've got golds in most licences and rest are silver's. Has anyone actually platted it without a racing wheel on here???

Yeah, it is certainly possible to plat GT5 without a wheel. A lot of people over on GTPlanet have done it and I believe grimydawg used a Dualshock as well.

Parker

Yeah, it is certainly possible to plat GT5 without a wheel. A lot of people over on GTPlanet have done it and I believe grimydawg used a Dualshock as well.

Parker

cool!! thanks dude! was looking for a wheel but unsure what one to get. all the ones ive seen that look worthy enough are £100+ which is too much :(

cool!! thanks dude! was looking for a wheel but unsure what one to get. all the ones ive seen that look worthy enough are £100+ which is too much :(

My favorite wheel is my Thrustmaster T500RS with the TH8 RS shifter, but I also really enjoy my Logitech G27 as well. Both are pretty expensive though and with them having a clutch pedal as well as a shifter they take up a lot of room. The best budget wheel you can get is the Logitech DFGT. It is a great wheel but the pedals are a little lacking as they are just plastic and really don't simulate actual car pedals very well. That being said, I'd drive with a DFGT any day of the week over a DualShock because it still makes the experience much more enjoyable. You can also pick up a used DFGT pretty cheaply on eBay and the likes and Logitech producs are known for their relliability. I still have a Logitech wheel from when GT3 was new and it works perfectly today.

Parker

• Like 1

My favorite wheel is my Thrustmaster T500RS with the TH8 RS shifter, but I also really enjoy my Logitech G27 as well. Both are pretty expensive though and with them having a clutch pedal as well as a shifter they take up a lot of room. The best budget wheel you can get is the Logitech DFGT. It is a great wheel but the pedals are a little lacking as they are just plastic and really don't simulate actual car pedals very well. That being said, I'd drive with a DFGT any day of the week over a DualShock because it still makes the experience much more enjoyable. You can also pick up a used DFGT pretty cheaply on eBay and the likes and Logitech producs are known for their relliability. I still have a Logitech wheel from when GT3 was new and it works perfectly today.

Parker

what the compatability like with other racing games? on the DFGT

Is the Motegi DLC pack worth a purchase? Are the layouts decent, and are there any weather or time effects? I recently picked up the Academy Edition of the game and it didn't come packaged with the other DLC for some reason.

I'm also looking for a few people to race against online, so hit me up if you're interested!

Also, I was wondering if a few people could maybe help me out with B-Spec by doing some remote races with my drivers. I know this probably isn't the place to ask but I would be willing to return the favour. :)

Is the Motegi DLC pack worth a purchase? Are the layouts decent, and are there any weather or time effects? I recently picked up the Academy Edition of the game and it didn't come packaged with the other DLC for some reason.

I'm also looking for a few people to race against online, so hit me up if you're interested!

Also, I was wondering if a few people could maybe help me out with B-Spec by doing some remote races with my drivers. I know this probably isn't the place to ask but I would be willing to return the favour. :)

I can't answer on Motegi, since I don't have it, but it's worth buying just for the sheer amount of layouts it has. I also remember loving the track in GT4.

As for B-Spec, I'll probably be running remotes tonight for a little while.

what the compatability like with other racing games? on the DFGT

The DFGT is compatible with just about every racing game that supports a wheel. I haven't encountered a game that supports wheels that hasn't supported the DFGT.

Parker

• Like 1

yea, for DLCs, what is worth buying...and which comes with the Stig outfit....btw, b-day and xmas coming up...whats a good wheel that i have a good chance of seeing as an xmas present if i ask for it? just cuz i want something that makes manual more fun....my friends all hate me cuz i dont race in auto, cuz i find manuals to be more fun

yea, for DLCs, what is worth buying...and which comes with the Stig outfit....btw, b-day and xmas coming up...whats a good wheel that i have a good chance of seeing as an xmas present if i ask for it? just cuz i want something that makes manual more fun....my friends all hate me cuz i dont race in auto, cuz i find manuals to be more fun

Personally, I've loved all the DLC. Spa Francorchamps is one of the best racetracks of all time, Twin Ring Motegi is great and the speed test course is very useful for tuning. The DLC that has the Stig suit is the "Racing Gear Pack" which was one of the original DLC's.

As for a wheel, the cheapest one with a clutch and 6 speed H pattern shifter would be the Logitech G27. Amazon is the cheapest place to buy them new...

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-941-000045-G27-Racing-Wheel/dp/B001NT9TK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350286039&sr=8-1&keywords=Logitech+G27

but you can generally find them used pretty cheap as well. Another wheel I'd recommend if the G27 is too expensive is the Logitech Driving Force GT. It doesn't have a clutch or shifter but it is still a fantastic wheel and by far the best budget wheel you can buy.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-PlayStation-Driving-Force-Racing-3/dp/B0015HYPOO/ref=pd_cp_e_1

I'd fork up the extra money for the G27 though because it adds so much more to the experience to have an actual clutch and stick shift.

Parker

• Like 1

not to change the topic...but yeah, that's what I'm gonna do...

Went on last night to check out all the goodies the wife got for me while I was gone and noticed all the new online challenges...tried out the 355pp lightweight challenge with the Midget II...slightly tuned to 353 pp...but only got it as high as 5th.

Any other vehicle suggestions for an easier time winning the series?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having a blast with the Subaru BRZ and it's turned out to be the perfect car to teach my wife how to play with the wheel, pedals and shifter as well as with no assists. She still has a lot to learn but it's pretty damn fun watching her blast around the Green Hell all by herself. I came home from work and heard GT5 and lo and behold there she is in my cockpit playing away. B)

Parker

• Like 1

I've been having a blast with the Subaru BRZ and it's turned out to be the perfect car to teach my wife how to play with the wheel, pedals and shifter as well as with no assists. She still has a lot to learn but it's pretty damn fun watching her blast around the Green Hell all by herself. I came home from work and heard GT5 and lo and behold there she is in my cockpit playing away. B)

Parker

I'm curious: As some who's never really sat and played a racer and knows absolutely nothing about cars, would this still be enjoyable? I've been questioning whether this would be worth the cash but I don't want it to be something I can't get into. I've played a bit of Shift 2 Unleashed and thought it was pretty good.

I'm curious: As some who's never really sat and played a racer and knows absolutely nothing about cars, would this still be enjoyable? I've been questioning whether this would be worth the cash but I don't want it to be something I can't get into. I've played a bit of Shift 2 Unleashed and thought it was pretty good.

You don't have to be a gearhead to enjoy GT. Although the handling is MUCH different than any NFS title, it still can be fun without becoming too oppressive. You can always download the GT Academy DEMO and give part of it a whirl. I still feel that GT5 is the best game released for the PS3...hands down!

• Like 1

not to change the topic...but yeah, that's what I'm gonna do...

Went on last night to check out all the goodies the wife got for me while I was gone and noticed all the new online challenges...tried out the 355pp lightweight challenge with the Midget II...slightly tuned to 353 pp...but only got it as high as 5th.

Any other vehicle suggestions for an easier time winning the series?

BTW: If anybody is interested...I figured out which vehicle to use...The '91 Suzuki Cappuccino

530716_102125049953163_844370371_n.jpg

• Like 1

Possible new cars coming to GT5 - http://www.gtplanet.net/camouflaged-corvette-c7-new-aventador-appear-in-gran-turismo-5/

It's either new DLC, OR a possible hint of a Spec 3 update [We ARE on Version 2.09 now. Spec 2 came after 1.09. ]

Also, the only car that seems to be legitimately confirmed is the Camouflaged C7. The Aventador is still up in the air - consensus seems to be it's just some well done shadow trickery on the part of the Aventador.

Edited by Fox

My first encounter with Gran Turismo was the original. I played it with my roomates in college. After that, I went out and bought my own playstation and copy so I could play it whenever I wanted to, and I played it alot. In fact, that was the only game I bought/ played for a long time. I have bought all 5 games in the series, and they get better everytime... People ask me why I have a PS3 if I still have an old standard TV. I tell them, cause I can't play GT5 on my PS2

• Like 1

My first encounter with Gran Turismo was the original. I played it with my roomates in college. After that, I went out and bought my own playstation and copy so I could play it whenever I wanted to, and I played it alot. In fact, that was the only game I bought/ played for a long time. I have bought all 5 games in the series, and they get better everytime... People ask me why I have a PS3 if I still have an old standard TV. I tell them, cause I can't play GT5 on my PS2

Gran Turismo 5 is the reason I bought an HDTV. When the time trial demo came out (where you could race the 370Z around Indianapolis) my TV cut off part of the cockpit so I went out and bought a 1080p HDTV to see GT in all it's glory. You can find them pretty cheap now so I really recommend finding one if you can. If you have room for a big TV look at craigslist for rear projection TV's because you can find great deals on them. People want super thin LED TV's now so big, rear projection TVs are practically being given away. I bought a 65" Mitsubishi 1080p rear projection TV for $250 and spent another $20 to buy the parts to convert it to 3D.

Parker

• 4 months later...

The NASCAR seasonal race at Monza just oozes money. Drop the PP to 580 on a stock car of your choice, have your 200% log-in bonus and enjoy tons of experience and money, I'll be level 40 in A-Spec very shortly from this event. Over halfway through level 39.

Parker

You ain't alone...I still use my 32" JVC 1991 CRT TV for the main TV in the house. GT5 looks just fine for me on it. :)

I first found out about Gran Turismo when the third installment to the series came out. My Dad and I use to play it quite a bit. However I somehow drifted away from it. Earlier this year I saw someone on my friends list playing Gran Turismo 5, and it brought back some great memories so I ran out and picked up a copy. It is such a phenomenal game. I play Gran Turismo 5 when I'm done getting a platinum in a game, and want to take a break from trophy hunting. Or when I get a little frustrated at a game, I go to Gran Turismo 5 to calm down and contemplate my situation. I'd love to get a Platinum one day, but it's A LOT of work as I am sure all Gran Turismo 5 players know. 500+ hours... Maybe one day I'll get it.