Best Strategies for a Double Eagle

I love this game and I am working towards the platinum. But the double eagle trophy is very intimidating because it is largely a luck based trophy. I have given lots of thought as to the best way to give yourself the best shot at a double eagle. 

Here are my thoughts: 

It is very difficult to have a ball hit from 180 yards+ land on the green and roll in organically to the hole. Almost impossible if the second shot on a par 5 is with a driver. Drivers do not allow the ball to stick to the green very well, even with perfect backspin. Now, the way that I got my spiral shot was on a par 4 that used super side-spin bounced once on the green and hit the pin, thereby rolling up the pin and into the hole. In my opinion, this is probably the best way to get a double eagle - hit the pin with either a super side-spin, rising or homing shot (level 3+ character required). 

Or, maybe the best method is to repeatedly play the first hole on the Maple Leaf Course with a power character and try to have the ball roll into the hole...

If anyone wants to respond, I would like to know what people think the best method is that maximizes your chance at a double eagle, or if you have gotten a double eagle, how did that occur....

Happy Golfing!

marcisaie.png

Or, alternatively, find a friend who has nothing better to do (like my friend Adam) who is willing to grind this out. 

Edited by marcisaie

• 2 months later...

I actually just got mine yesterday. I figured I would multitask grinding out loyalties/buying all the things with trying for the albatross by playing the Maple Leaf course over and over. Finally ended up getting it on my second shot on Hole 9. So much excitement!

I found grinding Maple Leaf to be a pretty decent strategy, as all the Par 5's are pretty well set up for a double eagle, along with a couple of the Par 4's. I would think that aiming just short of the green and letting the ball roll towards the hole (with a top spin perhaps) would give the best chance at a holing it. Contrary to what I've seen in a lot of guides, I found the Par 5's easier than the Par 4's (specifially Hole 1), as you can get pretty close to the green with your first shot, leaving you with a much easier to control second shot. 

Regardless, much of this trophy relies on luck and the willingness to grind it out. If a person still needed to gain max loyalties and buy everything in the shop, playing repeatedly at Maple Leaf is probably the best bet. That way, you're earning points and loyalty, while getting very good at the course and eventually you'll get it. 

• 5 weeks later...

Will try to tackle this trophy again soon. Been close to a double eagle a few times, and almost die when it doesn't quite go in. I'm playing the first nine holes of Maple Leaf Course, over and over again. I have 30-40 more rounds before I have enough points to purchase everything in the store, so hopefully I get the double eagle before then. Would really hate to grind out a luck-based trophy, if it wasn't also contributing to another trophy. 

• 1 year later...

Just to give my input, i have played the crap out of Hot Shots Golf (From HSG1 on the original PS1). I have gotten a double Eagle on every Par 5 on Maple Leaf (Played both the PS3 and Vita Version) and the best advice i have is to take Max (or any other Expert toon) and super Drive off the tee.... leaving you as close to the pin as possible.

On your second hit, do NOT use a backspin, either hit in naturally (no spin) or with a topspin. The reason for this is that the ball can not go in the hole if it is in the air (duh). By hitting it normal, or with a top-spin, it allows the ball to be on the ground the maximum amount of time.  Also, with a Super Top-Spin (and someone with Rank 3 Loyalty or higher) and you hit the ball too hard but end up hitting the pin, it goes in anyways.

Some people have better luck getting it done on the first hole of Maple Leaf... I've been close, but i've never scored a hole in one on a Par 4.

If ya'll have any more questions, feel free to ask :)

I'm a little suprised I didn't include that in my guide in the first place... So i fixed it :) Link to the guide is below. :)

http://psnprofiles.com/guide/4713-Hot-Shots-Golf-World-Invitational-Trophy-Guide

Edited by SwampGas
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

My advice would be to stick to Maple Leaf hole 1. Let's face it, luck is involved but this game takes a LOT of practice to play well and getting some of the trophies is a pain on pure trophy hunting mode. It will be very frustrating.

To get an albatross on hole 1 you need any character that you will routinely shoot and have the ball stop near or just after the hole, and level 3 clubs and balls. However it's easier to get these special hits with precision and not strength characters and you should have maxed its loyalty already. The hole will usually be on the left side, right side or center. It's much easy on the center, on the other 2 it's very difficult due to the degree of slopes just before the tee. Then just aim slightly to the right of the pole, or as weird as it may seem, even better aim and shoot between the 2 trees. Don't apply any effects, just a normal shot. With quite some practice, and yes some luck, you'll get it. It seemed impossible at first but after a while it's not that uncommon.

The major advantage of hole 1 is that it's the first one, if you fail just abort and try again. The other ones you have to play a few holes to get there, if you fail you'll have to restart the game, or continue to help making more points to get the other trophies. And of all the holes I got albatrosses on, by far I have more on this one than all others added. If you play the game a lot you'll get albatrosses on the weirdest holes possible, but that yes will be mostly huge luck.

I've still not done it on the PS3, but the game is exactly the same. I just don't like the way the game reacts to the buttons and the D-pad, I feel there's a huge lack of precision compared to the Vita, something I wasn't expecting. Even making curve balls is a pain.

You can't even imagine the number of albatross notices I receive from a player in my PSN friends lists that sits above me in the EG Vita's ranking. Or play a few times online with level 20 players, you see there's something more than luck involved.

Edited by cris3f