'Tony Hawk 5' - What Do You Want To See?

Half-H3ro

So, I don't know how many of you know, but Tony Hawk, Activision and (unfortunately) Robmodo are putting their noggins together for a new Skateboarding game for our very own PlayStation 4!

Tentatively labelled Tony Hawk 5 by Activision as a working title, the game is the latest instalment in the series that isn't a spin-off. Thank god we don't have another Ride or Shred coming! The number five suggests that the game will follow on from 2002's Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, which was a great game, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come up with for this new main series game. As I've said, the game is unfortunately being developed by Robmodo who gave us that shoddy, but still playable, reboot Tony Hawks Pro Skater HD. 

I want to create a discussion that shares peoples ideas and opinions about what they want to see in the upcoming Tony Hawk title, and perhaps what they think will (or won't) happen.

Discuss, tricks, areas, platforms... Anything that could happen in this game - and what you'd like to see in it!

Go!

EDIT: Here's a few links to get you in the know, so, if you aren't then, y'know, Go!

IGN article: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/04/09/is-the-next-tony-hawk-game-reveal-coming-soon
Wiki Section on TH5: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hawk%27s_(series)#Development

Edited by Half-H3ro
  • Like 1

Well, I haven't played any Tony Hawk game since Pro Skater (played a little of Pro Skater 2, but it was whatever), so I guess a better, deeper customization of your skater, abilities, new tricks, new specials, etc. Just hope they can do a team skate competition, where it takes teamwork to win the events, rather than people going off doing their own thing. That's just me.

The things I want to see most are:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 style gameplay, 2 minute timers and missions rather than a 2 minute level, because although that was fun and challenging, I always felt it broke the game up a little too much, and songs ended before they were finished which annoyed me :P

This could perhaps be blended with the Underground getting on and off your board, but they'll need smoother off-board character movement because I felt the movement on THUG and its sequel were a bit, clunky. Take a leaf out of Skate's book I think.

They could easily have more than one game mode though.

The Vita doesn't get much support these days, and games (that I actually want to play) come very sparsely. I'm not a JRPG player, and have no interest in diving into whatever Hatsune Miku is doing of late. I'd like to see a proper portable, playable Tony Hawk 5 on PSVita. Not a half-assed, 'yeah whatever, it'll do', I want something like LittleBigPlanet Vita, where they took the time and attention to detail it deserved and made a great game. It doesn't have to be released at the same time, just at some point.

I'd like to see a variety of locations around the world that are cool and detailed with lots of secrets and loads of gaps! Don't go for realism, go for the crazy worlds based on, but not copied from, the real world. 

The Streets of London, Chinatown, Venice, etc etc, all culminating in some crazy ridiculous final competition level, like the Bull Ring in THPS2 or hell! Something wicked and out there that let's us know they're not being too serious and want to make it fun.

Perhaps have a poll or survey to see where we, the players, want to see in the game.

It might not even be levels, but that wouldn't be Pro Skater now, would it?

Finally I think the soundtrack should have the same impact the Pro Skater games had on me growing up. No Cigar by Millencolin took  the Brit-Pop I was listening to that had emerged from 90's Britain (Oasis, Blur, Radiohead) and turned it on its head, showing me fast-paced punk. Lagwagon. Powerman5000. Goldfinger. AFI. Even the Red Hot Chili Peppers had one of their old songs in Pro Skater 3. I even liked some of the hip-hop, but keep it old school and funky.

I want to see (or hear) a soundtrack that is both fresh and classic, with new songs that have an old feel.

X-Kid by Green Day, Dammit by Blink-182.

Brick By Boring Brick by Paramore, London Calling by The Clash

Dirty Harry by Gorillaz, Shimmy Shimmy Ya by Ol' Dirty Bastard

The new and the old, mashed together even though they don't want to be to create something new and exciting!

I'd like it if they had a poll for this as well, where the players get to suggest songs and they put the game out with the best 25 (or more) songs. Why not go the whole hog and have extra song DLC packs. DLC is always a thing... :P

Well, I haven't played any Tony Hawk game since Pro Skater (played a little of Pro Skater 2, but it was whatever), so I guess a better, deeper customization of your skater, abilities, new tricks, new specials, etc. Just hope they can do a team skate competition, where it takes teamwork to win the events, rather than people going off doing their own thing. That's just me.

Great ideas! They could definitely do with a decent Create-A-Skater! The last one I played was Project 8, and you basically chose from 3 character designs... I don't even remember if you could be female. So yeah, I think along with the playable pros, they need to have maybe a Skyrim or Guitar Hero-esque character creator where you can customize every aspect of your dude or dudette, from head to toe.

Interesting thought on Team Skate, too. If they could make a multiplayer game mode where you compete, level up and unlock more they could definitely bring in enough players to warrant team-based games and objectives. From my experiences playing Skate 3 it did seem like one or two people were doing the objectives while the others just went around the map crashing into trees! :P

Edited by Half-H3ro
  • Like 1

Hopefully this time it doesn't have a stupid peripheral. If it's going to be TH5 then it's probably gonna be more like the first 4 games, which is awesome. Though I did enjoy THUG1, 2 & American Wasteland so if they borrowed certain gameplay elements from those I'd be happy. 

• Like 2

Go play tony hawk pro skater on the ps3. ;)

I'll take some more of that... give it an easy plat too. 

I like the fast paced, unrealistic arcade-y gameplay.

I want more of that.. maybe add in the bail dummy feature from Skate for the lols. 

Edited by Humonic

So, I don't know how many of you know, but Tony Hawk, Activision and (unfortunately) Robomodo

Literally sums up the paragraphs of thoughts I've had on this series for years.

I tried to put this in my last post but it wouldn't let me edit it for some reason, so oh well. (Edit, it actually did let me, awesome)

For YEARS, I have been dying for this. In 2012 when I heard about the HD remake, I was ditching school at the time, I put on my uniform, and ran to school to yell at another friend "HOLY FUCKING SHIT MAN, PRO SKATER IS FINALLY COMING BACK!!!!!!!" and then I went home again.

THPS3, is my equal favorite game of all time, period. Aside from being an incredible game in it's own right, it introduced me to my favorite band of all time, Zebrahead, who are real life friends to me who I've met several times and all sorts of stuff. I love those guys and without THPS I'd probably have never known them, then again, they were in the first Smackdown V Raw game which was the balls. So anyway, the reason I say this, is because the music is VERY important. There's songs I'll listen to that came out a week ago and I'll be like "This was never in Tony Hawk, but this is a Tony Hawk song right here" I don't have any soundtrack recomendations just yet, as I've not actually thought about the songs, but yours are a good start.

I play Horse mode (and a bit of graffiti) with my girlfriend all the time, we bust out THPS3/4/AW and the wireless PS2 controls I eBay'd at least a few times a month, so personally, I NEED couch co-op for this game. I help people get the online trophy for THPS HD all the time, I got it for a guy either today or yesterday, the whole thing there was so stupid and the matchmaking did not work, period. You seem to know your THPS, so I'm sure I need not explain. Local split screen is a MUST, I'll love you 5ever.

Speaking of MP, TH, and CoD. They're pretty well the only things I'll actually play with friends, otherwise I play on my own. And to be honest, my girlfriend's the only one who plays Tony Hawk with me anymore, since I mop the floor with all other comptitors. Anyway, in MP this time, there doesn't need to be more crazy new modes, I like Big Head Survival as much as the next guy, but you give me Horse, Graffiti, Score Challenges and Free Skate, and we're good. Do whatever you guys want but don't leave the classics out in the rain.

Core mechanics: I was playing Proving Ground a little bit the other day, and that stupid balance bar and slow mo and all that, no. Slow mo was "okay" in American Wasteland, but no more, that's done with. Leave it alone. Speaking of stuff that should be left alone from American Wasteland, back in the day on a THPS message board people were complaining about walking around in THUG and some guy said, and I'll always remember this quote "Tony Hawk's Pro Run-around-like-an-asshole" ... I want this one to AT LEAST have an option to keep it all on board. I don't want to run around when I'm playing the main game, free skate, sure, 2 player even, maybe, but not story mode, the ability to turn it off would make me happy.

Less insanity: The series has never been known for being grounded, but as they went on, it got easier and easier to bust billions. I was playing THPS2 on my phone (it's emulated but screw you, I bought the iPhone version back when I had an iPhone and before I grew a brain and bought an Android, I gave them money to play on my phone) the other day and it's not stupidly difficult but it's a challenge to land a hundred thou combo. I want that kind of control again, not so much that if I kickflip near a rail I automatically stack, but you get what I'm getting at.

Level design: Plot twist, I don't care about the levels, so long as you follow these two conditions.

1: Don't cock it up like THPSHD, the main reason I didn't buy the THPS3 DLC, was because there was no people walking around. The guy peeing off the ramp in Canada, sinking the foreman in Foundry, the random things background people yell at you, they made the worlds feel more real, bring back that stuff, and you'll bring back me. Well I'll buy this either way, but you'll make me happy, for the first time too, because the whole thing went to shit after THAW, I'm not even saying it sucked after Neversoft left, it sucked before that, THAW was pretty damn decent, but it was trying to be too much, then it tried and added more and all it did was lose itself.

2: NO (huge) OPEN WORLDS. If you don't like the 2 minute classic approach. Cool, I support you, THPS4 was the first one I bought, I'm more than fine with it's mission setupt. But don't make massive worlds, because if you put in classic mode like you fucking better, I want to challenge myself and be able to ace the whole level in the 2 minutes, not spend five *walking* over there.

Classic Mode: THUG 2/THAW style. Take the levels of the story mode, and stick in the old school find the VHS, find the SKATE letters, kinds of goals. That's all, I want that, if the game isn't going to be an old school TH, then have an option to let me pretend.

Secret Skaters: I can't think of any right now, but these guys, and cool unlockables in general, are awesome. Skating as Jango Fett, Spider-Man, Shrek for god's sake, it's quite swell. Also, since Activision still has Crash, having him do some wicked mid air skateboard spins would be sick.

That's my *small* post for now, if this thread ends up getting a bunch of replies, expect an expanded version.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

I liked the HD remake of Pro Skater, I just hope to see a number of professional skaters as well as secret ones. You know classic ones like Officer Dick. :P

I think all of the levels should be new and stick to the classic set-up that all of his past games have followed: realistic levels modified to fit the skating world.

So of course not as realistic as the SKATE games, but nothing crazy and ridiculous either. Just the usual, quarter pipes on every other wall, convenient grind spots all around, etc. The Tony Hawk games have always done a good job setting up their levels for those classic combos.

Good to see it is apparently getting back to its Pro Skater roots, but I really liked T.H.U.G. and T.H.A.W. as well. I have faith in the soundtrack, no Tony Hawk has let me down there.

Oh and there better be a lot of trophies! The HD remake was tooo easy to plat. I want trophies for perfect manuals, perfect grinds, completing levels with different skaters, etc.

But most of all, I would like to see a return of the creation modes! Create a skater, create a park, and create a deck.

Edited by -Dark Mark-
  • Like 1

I'd like to see something similar to American Wasteland as far as gameplay, the best of the series imo.

Possibly one big open city like San Van from Skate 1.

The inclusion of BMX bikes since AW had them but add more tricks for them, also adding Pro BMX Riders.

I NEED couch co-op for this game. . Local split screen is a MUST, I'll love you 5ever.

Speaking of stuff that should be left alone from American Wasteland, back in the day on a THPS message board people were complaining about walking around in THUG and some guy said, and I'll always remember this quote "Tony Hawk's Pro Run-around-like-an-asshole" ... I want this one to AT LEAST have an option to keep it all on board. I don't want to run around when I'm playing the main game, free skate, sure, 2 player even, maybe, but not story mode, the ability to turn it off would make me happy.

Classic Mode: THUG 2/THAW style. Take the levels of the story mode, and stick in the old school find the VHS, find the SKATE letters, kinds of goals. That's all, I want that, if the game isn't going to be an old school TH, then have an option to let me pretend.

Secret Skaters: I can't think of any right now, but these guys, and cool unlockables in general, are awesome. Skating as Jango Fett, Spider-Man, Shrek for god's sake, it's quite swell. Also, since Activision still has Crash, having him do some wicked mid air skateboard spins would be sick.

Some great points! I agree, there should be an easy to play couch co-op and all the classic game modes should be there! I would like to see them add to it and create a new game mod that's just as memorable as graffiti or horse. What that is, though, I don't know. They'll have to surprise me. Just please don't do an FPS version Firefight or something silly. Please.

The option to toggle skate and walk is a great idea! So simple, I bet they could put that in very easily. Let's hope they read this and pick up the ideas :P

I also agree that there should be a classic mode, it wouldn't be a pro skater with the two minute timers, and if players want it to just be the two minutes to challenge them, then fire away! I won't stop that being a thing! I used to love getting all the tapes in one go on 'Tony Hawks Skateboarding' as it was known (THPS1). There were only five, and I could usually do the whole level in one go - apart from that damn downhill jam! I always seemed to miss one valve! Primus got me through though. THPS2 was harder, I could only do most of the hangar in one go, I still needed a second go to get the cash and maybe the occasional objective, but I usually cleared them in 1 or 2 runs, 3 or 4 for later levels.

I forgot to quote the bit about when you hear songs and you think they sound like THPS song even though they weren't in them. I totally get that! There are many songs I hear on the radio/tv/internet that I think, yeah that would sound great on a Tony Hawk game. From indie songs like Munich by Editors, Our Velocity by Maximo Park and A Whole Child Ago by Biffy Clyro to punk songs like Pretty Vacant by The Sex Pistols, Chamber the Cartridge by Rise Against and The Hell Song by Sum41. I always think there's a certain sound to Pro Skater games. It must be fast paced catchy guitar. But throwing in some Sublime or first album Maroon 5 to chill it out wouldn't be so bad either.

They should definitely hire us as creative directors or 'inspirers' :P

Oh and there better be a lot of trophies! The HD remake was tooo easy to plat. I want trophies for perfect manuals, perfect grinds, completing levels with different skaters, etc.

But most of all, I would like to see a return of the creation modes! Create a skater, create a park, and create a deck.

Oh yes lots of shiny trophies! Hard but not impossible, and not just 12, let it be a proper game and give it 51! I want to really work for the plat! Like Skate 2 and 3 made me work. I don't want them to be like PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale though, where you have to play through the entire game with every character. I guess that's because it was a fighting game and I don't really like them that much, but if they do make that a requirement, it won't stop me. I completed the first game with everyone and the second with near enough everyone :P

YESYESYES on Creation modes! Create a Park on THUG2 was epic! I remember making my school, my local skatepark, anywhere and everywhere! I hope it gets an updated and revitalised look, but keeps the core ideas there still. Skate's create mode was a let down for me, so don't go down that route of moving everything!

Create a Deck would be cool too, especially if they used an InFamous Second Son style graffiti spray into the mix, make use of the Dualshock 4. And if you're playing on Vita, touch controls. They could even bring back SPAT tags from THUG and graffiti them with sixaxis :P

Loving the suggestions and opinions guys!

Go play tony hawk pro skater on the ps3. ;)

I'll take some more of that... give it an easy plat too. 

I like the fast paced, unrealistic arcade-y gameplay.

I want more of that.. maybe add in the bail dummy feature from Skate for the lols. 

Haha I have done many times, and platinumed it 4 times on different accounts, and almost 100% on steam (it's hard with a keyboard :( )

Half-H3ro, alt-James, KASBIAN, and my friend's account Gundam-Exceige. I need to move on to a new Tony Hawk game!

I'd like to see something similar to American Wasteland as far as gameplay, the best of the series imo.

Possibly one big open city like San Van from Skate 1.

The inclusion of BMX bikes since AW had them but add more tricks for them, also adding Pro BMX Riders.

Perhaps they might do that, Pro Skater 4 had bigger worlds, but I wouldn't like it if it were on the same scale as Skate. I think keep it medium, with lots of places to visit! 

BMXs would put me off if I'm honest, but we're all different. Maybe there'll be Matt Hoffman demo on the disc like good old times!! :P And there's always DLC.

• Like 2

I have a new desire that I know won't happen, but I would love nonetheless.

You ever play Tekken 5 on the PS2? I did, it was awesome. You know what one of the many contributing factors to said awesomeness was? That it included the arcade modes, in their original SD forms, of Tekken 1, 2, and 3. Imagine THPS 5 has all the levels of THPS1-3 (since they're built around the 2 minute timer) in their shitty PS1 glory.

It would never happen, but imagine it.

Also, I'd like a proper music section. THPS HD was shit. I'm not bagging the sound track here, which was also shit for the most part, but the way it was set up was terrible. There was this song USA by Middle Class Rut for example that I'd not heard before the game, and I loved that song, too bad I had to Google the lyrics to find it because not only did the game forget to include playlist functionality and the ability to skip songs, but it also forgot to tell me the damn names of the songs. Sure, you could say the first two games also didn't tell me the songs, but they had manuals, that's their excuse, the songs and bands are all in there, a digital only release can't have a manual. Actually, stupid me, it can, but they forgot to include a digital manual for THPS HD anyway.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

I hope it has a cool soundtrack like the old games did (Or give us the option to shred to our own music)

As long as it has the playability and fun factors while maintaining an alright story or levelling structure I'd love to see it. Can't wait to hear more.

• Like 1

I'm assuming they're going to do what every game/ where every game is headed. In my opinion I think they'll try and turn it into some sort of mmo/ rpg skateboarding style. Where you level up and put points into different stats like: flip tricks, grabs, inverts, board based grinds, truck based grinds... Etc. you catch my drift.

Probably make it where certain parts of the world open up to certain levels and each area will hold different competitions. Maybe something along the lines of, "west coast daily competition" or "hourly euro challenge." Something where you can skate with friends and play different games or run different missions that all have some sort of reward that applies to character, board, or park customization items. Where you'll have the occasional new character that comes with preset stats that are incredible with maybe a total of 10 signature tricks that no other character has that potentially scores you "mass" points. Then there will be the 3 skateboards with incredible preset stats that you have to pay $20 additional calling it a "expansion pack." Where it makes gamers who feel they have encountered a plateau can have some hopes for stardom. But in all reality the board doesn't mean squat. The user/ character stats are what it all comes down to.

Music will be good as usual and hopefully sync able with spotify but if not, who cares you can just open the Playstation music app and play it in the background.

What I'd like to see ^^^^^ thisssss.... I'd like to see all of this...

Subscribe to my YouTube for walkthroughs/ guides and game reviews (with the occasional gameplay videos.) - TheOriginalBtchPlz

For more follow the twitch for live streaming daily - btchplz9

Or if you're the real deal, add me on PSN - btchplz9 - and send a party invite for some daily ruckus!!

btchplz9.png

Edited by btchplz9

• 3 weeks later...

They confirmed it today ^^. Looking forward to it. 

A proper sequel to the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater franchise, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5, will be coming out later this year. For real.

According to a report by Game Informer, the next entry into the series will go back to its Pro Skater roots, with the precision controls seeing series-first additions of new power-ups and, strangely enough, the ability to shoot projectiles in some instances.

The game will include include Nyjah Huston, Aaron Homoki, Ishod Wair, Riley Hawk, Lizzie Armanto, Chris Cole, David Gonzalez, Leticia Bufoni, and Andrew Reynolds, according to the report.

Tony Hawk's Shred Session, a mobile Tony Hawk game, was put on indefinite hold back in November. To soothe the sting, Tony Hawk tweeted out that he was working on a console game with Activision slated for 2015.

At the beginning of April, Chef Joe Youkhan posted a photo on Instagram for an event Youkhan was catering for Hawk, with a screen in the background showing a great big, impossible to miss Tony Hawk 5 logo.

The game will hit PS4 and Xbox One first, with PS3 and Xbox 360 versions following later.

As a huge fan of the original THPS games, part of me is really excited about this game. I'm skeptical because I haven't really enjoyed the other projects by Robomodo, but hopefully it's as much fun as the originals. I spent countless hours having a blast playing those games with friends. The line from that article that says "new additions such as power-ups and the ability to shoot projectiles" doesn't really inspire me but we'll see.

I agree with everyone else talking about the soundtrack. The song selection is an important part of any skateboarding game. As someone who grew up on punk music, I naturally loved the soundtracks for these games.

Edited by MStalker58

I hope it has a cool soundtrack like the old games did (Or give us the option to shred to our own music)

As long as it has the playability and fun factors while maintaining an alright story or levelling structure I'd love to see it. Can't wait to hear more.

YESS!! Custom soundtracks! Burnout Paradise style! I love it spazza!