Why the Call of Duty Hate?

TheLiamK

Having played every game in the series from CoD 4 onwards, I'd say its because of the community. Granted, i've met some pretty cool people but most of them are either 12 year old kids who shouldn't be playing the game or grown racist old men who haven't got a day job. 

Also, the fact that its released yearly makes it seem like it only exists to make money, even if most of the games are enjoyable in their own right.

I don't exactly hate the series, I just find it incredibly dull & repetitive. I only ever tried the online for CoD 4, after putting up with severe lag & a lot of people who seemed unable to shut up, I just left it, and ignored it in MW2 & World at War altogether. As for the campaigns, I enjoyed CoD 4's campaign, MW2 & World at War on the other hand bored me very quickly, after about an hour on each, I just quit & never looked back, I wish I could delete them from my trophy list, but I have trophies on them, and I see no point in hiding them.

I've played them all except WaW.  The campaign quality is decreasing with each installation and the multiplayer makes you worry about future generations.  Very toxic environment fuelled by poor and often one-sided p2p connections.  

And it's just getting a bit stale overall.

People are entitled to an opinion. Its the same game every year so its only natural that players grows tired of the wash, rinse and repeat that is Call of Duty. Advanced Warfare thought exosuits were the answer, surenthey were a nice touch and added a new dimension to the game but its nothing we had not seen before in a shooter lets be honest. I feel they could do so much more with the resources they have, imagine an open world military rpg with a solid 80 hour single player that could also incorporate online multiplayer? This is just one example, but instead they will stick to the same formula, they are scared to take any risks though.

I ended up burnt out on the series. The fact they're still churning them out + a ton of DLC amazes me. Any series that keeps doing that is bound to get some flak. Even the fans love to hate on the series but they keep on buying them. xD 

I think some people hate it because they try it and there shit so they get beaten up by good players, so naturally they just say the game is shit, when really there shit AT the game.

How is it that you're able to write "they", but not "they are"?

• Like 1

I dont think its hate directed towards the game, inmy experience its more directed towards the players who play it - or more specifically the homophobic, sexist, racist, xenophobic, weed-smoking, gun-worshiping, leet-speaking contingent that seem to gravitate more towards Call of Duty than any other multiplayer game.

I myself enjoy some of the games, but gave up on playing online a loooooong time ago with these games, as i simply don't want to engage with that playerbase, as i feel like it would be impossible to do so without it reflecting poorly on me.

No matter how clean you are at the beginning, after a fight with a man covered in shit you will both smell pretty bad.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

If it is the same "shit" every year, why do millions of people keep buying them?

I don't feel like I can have a real opinion on this, because I've only played the 2 latest entries. Still, I found those I have played fun. (I'm terrible at them, but I still think they're fun) I know I'm in the minority here, but I love the singleplayer. As for the MP I've only tried offline, because I don't have PS+ and I don't have the courage to play online even if I had the chance to. I've been around too many loud and annoying kids in real life, so I don't know if I can bear with them online too. :dunno:

If it is the same "shit" every year, why do millions of people keep buying them?

Because the majority of CoD fans are in it for the mp and only really want new maps, weapons and kill streaks. I don't see why Activision would allow their devs much room to change much. Like you said, they sell millions of copies every year.

If it ain't broke then don't try to fix it.

There's nothing wrong with them. Everyone just wants something to hate on. But that's not say they're all good games. The only ones I've personally enjoyed are the original, Big Red One, MW1 & 2, B02, and AW. But those I had an absolute blast with. Lazy? Guys, they have switching studios now. That means the new Infinity Ward game is being worked on for 3 years. Yes, there don't change mechanics much between some titles. But hey, if It's not's broke, don't fix it. 

Edited by OnePieceDude

I like 'em. I don't play online (because I suck as shooters) but I enjoy the offline campaign, especially Infinity Ward's. I enjoy the chaos and tension created by the attempts to destroy the economy, and in terms of gameplay, I find them smoother than Killzone and Battlefield (which I also like). Soap is a legend and Price is one of my favourite video game heroes.

• Like 1

Are you being serious? People buy/watch/consume the same stuff over and over. Michael Bay has become a billionaire because of this. How many times has EA sold Madden, or FIFA? It's just the same stuff, but people keep buying it.

I hate people who correct grammar on the internet because THEY ARE annoying as fuck and need to get a life.

Good grammar should be appreciated in all walks of life, and appreciation of good grammar does not necessitate the lack of "a life".

I personally hate reading poor grammar myself (although I stop short of correcting it, at least here).

• Like 2

People hate it because they're pretty much reharshing every year the same thing and still every year it's really popular with tons of copies sold.

Assassin's creed has become similar to COD in this way.However I still like AC(even if less than I used to) and I can't say the same about COD,even though developing the same game every year it's bad if you ask m

Solution: Buy it preowned a few months later. If they get a fair few less sales it won't be enough to stop them, but they might pull a Guitar Hero, fuck off for a bit, then come back with something entirely new.

Though hopefully unlike Guitar Hero's return, it will actually be good. I could handle the new guitar when all I knew was "MCR will be in it, Green Day will be in it, all the shitty pop punk of the early 00s will be in it" that made me happy. Then the announcement that some ponce like Ed Sheeran is on it? It just went downhill from there. Rock Band 4 always was, and shall be, the one I choose. And I'll probably get Guitar Hero 23 anyway.

SEE!? Shit, I just explained why I hate something and ended up at the solution of buying it anyway, that's where half the Call of Duty hate comes from, people who don't even want it but end up buying it anyway because it's Call of goddamn Duty! YEEEEEEAH!

Edit: I would buy Black Ops 3 in a heartbeat if, like Black Ops 2 and Ghosts before it, it has separate screen multiplayer for the Wii U.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy