Why the Call of Duty Hate?

TheLiamK

People hate it for many reasons. 

1. Season Passes are nearly the price of a full game

2. Peer to Peer servers= CONSTANT lag. even with good connection

3. little to none innovation each new installment

4. as fun as the campaigns are people think they're too short

5. They've been using the same engine (heavily modified) for YEARS

Those are just the ones I can think of. CoD's fun sure. But when it comes down to it its not at all worth $70. (Black Ops 3 is marked at $80 standard edition. W...T...F??)

I usually wait for a price drop

I really enjoyed Black Ops 1, it was my first experience of Call of Duty, played it every chance I got when I was over at my friends house before I got a PS3. Ever since then they've gone more and more towards the Futuristic games. Exo suits, give me a break. And from what I've seen of Black Ops 3, more of the same so I'll pass on that one also.

Kill streaks is another reason why I cannot stand this game, people play so dirty just to use kill streaks, its just not fun for me, someone who just plays games casually.

I don't hate CoD but I do dislike the series and many modern FPS games in general. To me it represents everything bad in games right now.

- Short and dull single player modes (subjective opinion of course)

- Overpriced Season Passes

- Overpriced DLC 

- Over priced game in general

- Micro Transactions

- Little to no innovation in gameplay, game engine or story, sticking to the same formula with each re-iteration

- Yearly releases, saturates the market
- Online only trophies (this goes for a huge chunk of games, for the love of all that's sacred knock it off! If you must have them either make it so you can do them in local/couch Co-Op or not at all)

- Terrible community in Multiplayer (Again, goes for other games too but there's only so many time you can tolerate a pre-pubescent screaming obscenities they don't understand)

- Hackers/Bots in Multiplayer

- Unstable servers/connections

- "Popular" game bro culture. It's irritating. 

Honestly CoD can be fun, but in my opinion it's just not worth the asking price. On a side note, the fact that EA are publishing Star Wars Battlefront and with the reasons above that currently manifest in todays FPS games, I'm not buying it even though I am a HUGE Star Wars fan and sunk a good few hundred hours into the previous Battlefront games.

Well, for me personally, and from my perspective, Cod seemed to become the advent of linear-fps with set pieces and simplified design. I'm not saying they weren't there before, but the market definitely wasn't oversaturated and diversity was still present as well. Whether you want complex design or not, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how truly dumbed down everything is in Cod compared to retro-fps.

Another possible reason could be that it showed you could recycle the same game consistently over and over again and people will keep coming back to buy it, putting the industry in a stalemate of developers wanting to experiment yet lacking the support from the publisher, or the developer simply wanting to follow the formula. Now when I say the same game, I literally mean the same game in design, mechanics, story, feeling and overall development, there is little progression in Cod ever since it's inception to now, mechanically, and design wise. Of course they've implemented new weapons and what not, but it all feels the same which makes it completely moot, multiplayer maps are literally designed in the same fashion with different backgrounds and stuff for you to look at, because there's little interactivity outside of shooting everything, and campaign is still the traditional linear button-mashing fest with gigantic set-pieces..but of course that's just my perspective