Opinions?

yourwifemykidsx

SPOILERS. it was a decent game. terrible ending, some pretty stupid parts when you just died and died(which i find stupid; this kind of games should be played for pleasure, not getting angry with dying). i'd give it a 7/10 and that because of the great insights. the insights ideea was just awesome. it was like watching a discovery documentary. one of the few games that made me search for the collectibles( owls) with happiness.

Edited by yourwifemykidsx
  • Like 2

I love these small little games. They fit nicely in between a finished platinum game and a new platinum to go for. They're fun to play and only take a couple of hours to complete.

This one is even better because it has something to learn about. It's a tribal story, realism (or even common sense) is not a requirement there :P.

Sure, it's nothing spectacular and it has no replay value for me, but it was a fun experience none the less.

Little con.... I hate wind in games... :shakefist:  :P

I really didn't like it, which surprised me. 

The AI really drove me nuts.   It just kept killing itself.  It also wouldn't do anything of its own accord, which I'm sure isn't normal for games which have an optional coop player..  I agree with the OP though - dying and dying don't work in games like this, where the story and art are supposed to be the main focus..

Such a sweet, lovely, and very faithful little Indie game that I enjoyed immensely. The story and cultural insights were beautiful (I didn't know much about Alaskan culture, so it was all new to me!), and the world design was gorgeous. Music and sound design was awesome too; make sure you have a good set of headphones or good surround sound! Platforming was varied enough to keep it interesting for the 2.5 hours it took to finish the game (3 technically, but I had dinner in between!), but a bit wonky at times; and sometimes that AI would do something completely ridiculous and die on me :/ Extremely easy 100% though; if you even do a sniff of exploring, you'll get 100% without even trying.

A few other thoughts on moments in the game; SPOILER - don't read if you don't want to ruin the story

For such a cutesy little game, there sure were some violent and quite sad parts. Whenever one of your partnership (girl or fox) dies, the other does an adorable little 'sad action' that breaks my heart. It was especially sad when I made a stupid mistake as the girl and had to see the fox whimper :'( Also, some of the deaths - like getting impaled on spikes - were absolutely brutal; worse than limbo by far (because you've actually got a real-looking face!). And when that dude breaks the fox's neck! So brutal.

Definitely worth a play; especially since it's free on PS+ this month. It's not a game with a lot of depth by any means, but nor is it trying to be; enjoy this for what it is - a beautiful experience with some enjoyable gameplay around it.

Rating: 8.5/10

It was a very cute game. I got exactly what I expected =)

Pretty easy overall with some ugly passages as you would expect from a platformer, the insights were interesting and they made a good choice giving the trophy not just for collecting them all but also watching them.

The only complain I have is this one:

The reincarnated fox was much, much, much less useful and WORLDS LESS CUTE than the cute fox from the start.

• Like 1

I liked it - but i played it completely in couch coop with my wife - so i never experienced any of the AI issues other are apparently having .

I think the concept of unlocking potrions pf a documentary by playing is a very interesting one - and i bet we see this done me in the future

Enjoyable experience, and like others mentioned here, the included documentary was pretty cool, just like in some other games (eg. valiant hearts), this backdrop added to the emotional value of the game, if you can call it that... It was also quite pretty.

The mechanics on the other hand (looking at you bola!)... were proper shit! :D

I liked it - but i played it completely in couch coop with my wife - so i never experienced any of the AI issues other are apparently having .

I think the concept of unlocking potrions pf a documentary by playing is a very interesting one - and i bet we see this done me in the future

I played it with my wife also which made the game a lot more enjoyable although overall I thought it was quite good.

The first half of the game was very nice, rich art styles and solid gameplay made it fun for an hour or so...

But after the half way mark (SPOILER: Around the time Fox changes) the gameplay got a bit clunky and stressful to get through, the art also got more bland and everything looked the same.

Would rate it about a 7/10 because of first half plus the insights.

Never Alone is a good game, animations and design are rather cared and the documentary is amazing, but in terms of gameplay the adventure presents a problem for example the AI is absent that has made some parts a bit boring and frustrating.

My vote is 7,5/10.

Really enjoyed the art direction and the cultural insights, and thought it was cool how it incorporated the spiritual beliefs of the Inupiaq people into the gameplay. I especially enjoyed the drawn cutscenes.

However, a lot of the mechanics seem really annoying in practice, and I've had way too many game-breaking bugs. I've had to throw bolas several times at ice walls and they haven't broken until the third or so throw, which has ended up killing me several times in chase scenes, and actually aiming the bolas seems to be surprisingly difficult on PS4. The sensitivity of the analogue stick makes it unreliable in a pinch, and I can't find an option to change it.

I really enjoyed the first half or so of the game, but towards the end it just really started dragging on and got increasingly frustrating. The AI was very inconsistent throughout. But I thought the story was pretty neat and I appreciated the cultural insight- both the literal name of the collectible videos and actually learning about a culture I had never heard of before. Sadly I'm going to remember the actual game more for its annoyances. But overall I'd still give it a decent 7/10.

• 2 months later...

Unresponsive controls and lots of glitches and bugs etc made for a lot of frustration, but at the very least a checkpoint were always some steps away and there wasn't a lot of easy to miss missables or anything. Very much enjoyed what they tried to do with the game though, everything from story, to the "insights" to art style and game etc etc. The game would have been so much better if not for the unresponsive controls and glitches etc... =\

The gaming side of it was probably about average, but the art style, story and insights made up for it.   I enjoyed it, the insights kind of reminded me of the collectibles in Valiant Hearts, and I'd like to see more devs do things like that.   It'd be interesting if they did something like that with an old serial killer case, a detective type game with real evidence telling the story but I imagine there would be controversy and it'd probably end up banned!  

• 4 months later...

The DLC was trash, riddled with glitches and problems. Terrible puzzles, annoying platforming. The insights were okay, but only 5 of 'em. Like one of the first things I did in the game was to glitch myself outside of the screen, far up above, jumping over a massive ice berg, and I could repeat it easily. Had the screen lock me outside. Die randomly. Platforms moving randomly, so I would fall down and fail. Lots of padding. Not a single puzzle worth doing. Was about to fall asleep all the time.

http://www.twitch.tv/mmde/v/27599093

I recorded it, just for the sheer stupidity of it. It starts with that awful moon jump glitch, which does lock me on the other side of the mountain, leaving me to having to die.

Watch from 1:50, I do the jump the first time at 2:00 and I do it a couple of more times, one time landing on top of the ice berg.

How dare they even release this? The DLC was obviously not finished at all.