Opinions?

yourwifemykidsx

I just 100%ed the game and while it was an alright experience, I feel that the wonky controls and occasional glitches stop it from being as good as other games in it's genre, for example Limbo.

I give it a 7.5/10.

Foxtales was much worse than the original game IMO, Foxtales is like a 5.5 at best. The puzzles were slow and infuriating, and the controls on the boat were annoying as hell when you had to steer the boat to a specific location. Also the locations and art direction weren't nearly as good as the original.

Wow, I actually prefer the DLC to the main game, I had no bugs and I thought the message behind the DLC was great. Again, more cultural insights so definitely a bonus :D

Exactly. I also liked the DLC way better than the main game. The story felt like a more fun experience than the main game's story.

• Like 1

Exactly. I also liked the DLC way better than the main game. The story felt like a more fun experience than the main game's story.

Agreed. I liked the base game, but the mechanics towards the end got really crappy and kinda ruined my enjoyment. No such things in the DLC :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Gameplay was horrible, worst platformer i have played in a LONG time. The only good part about the game imo was the collectible videos, they were interesting and i kept wanting more of them 

This is precisely how I'd describe this game. This game probably takes the cake for me on "most disappointing game" in recent memory. The art style was nice and the insights were neat, but the rest was bland and simply disappointing.

• 1 month later...

The DLC was trash, riddled with glitches and problems. Terrible puzzles, annoying platforming. The insights were okay, but only 5 of 'em. Like one of the first things I did in the game was to glitch myself outside of the screen, far up above, jumping over a massive ice berg, and I could repeat it easily. Had the screen lock me outside. Die randomly. Platforms moving randomly, so I would fall down and fail. Lots of padding. Not a single puzzle worth doing. Was about to fall asleep all the time.

http://www.twitch.tv/mmde/v/27599093

I recorded it, just for the sheer stupidity of it. It starts with that awful moon jump glitch, which does lock me on the other side of the mountain, leaving me to having to die.

Watch from 1:50, I do the jump the first time at 2:00 and I do it a couple of more times, one time landing on top of the ice berg.

How dare they even release this? The DLC was obviously not finished at all.

I was stuck inside a wall within the first twenty or so seconds of the DLC xD Streamed it for all the non-believers in the chatbox, but that stream wasn't saved.

I hated this game, and would recommend any future readers to stay the fuck away. Not only is it riddled with bugs and glitches, the AI constantly fucking you over and getting you killed, but it also has horrifyingly atrocious controls and a rather tedious story, and the 'puzzles' were nothing that you couldn't solve in a minute maximum, before having to arduously carry out the actions necessary while praying the AI doesn't fuck you over.

And then the DLC came out, and my god. It was even worse and I didn't think that was possible! Even more bugs, even more horrible controls (that canoe...) and even more horrible, tedious puzzles.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps I might not buy it on ps3 since I first watched a review saying the game has some bug issues where I thought a patch would fix all of those. Seems like the problems would occur if I was playing the game where that would be waste of fourteen dollars where I wish the game is on sale right now. On my wishlist right now after I found it a few days ago.

• 2 years later...

I've now been playing this for 2-3 hours and I really like it. So far I haven't noticed any serious bugs, the characters have gotten stuck in walls a few times but they always got unstuck a second or two later so it looks like that bug has been fixed. I haven't run into any problems with the AI either.

Edited by Janire1911

• 3 years later...

Just finished the main game and the DLC.If you were picking a movie to watch for the night, this one would be an artistically told documentary. If something along those lines is your cup of tea, I believe you'll enjoy this cute, puzzle-platformer with mythological elements. It's a small game, but it absolutely accomplishes what it sets out to do.

Gameplay-wise, yes, the puzzles are relatively easy-breezy and the gameplay itself isn't mindblowing. But as a big fan of animal sims, I personally had a blast jumping around the snowy terrain as a realistic fox. That's why I much preferred the first part of the game as opposed to

Spoiler

having to control the humanoid fox spirit in the second half,

but this is just my personal preference.

All in all, Never Alone is a beautifully told (and educational) story about the tradition, culture and most of all stories and legends of the Iñupiaq Alaskian people. Some of these stories are now in a way immortilazed in a videogame, an artistic medium videly available and sought ought by people, such as myself, who would most likely never wonder - Hey, you know those Alaskian people over there, how the hell do they live in those temperatures, what are their stories and traditions?

Games like these are very welcome, even necessary in order for gaming not to be looked upon as simply a tirade of mindless fun (which it can be and that's completely fine).. But also as a stand-alone, growing, story-telling artistic medium, immersing us in stories in a way that, by their very nature, only videogames can.

M next experience with this game will definitely be co-op! ?

Edited by Theatrum95
  • Like 1