READ! IMPORTANT! Professor Portal and Hugs

AVicentela

So right now I've created the account but pressing select but when I search it on steam (with 'psn_' as a prefix because that's what my first account did) and go forgot password it presents me an email that isn't mine. Is there anyway to change the steam account that's connected to the PS3 account? Like logout of one and login to another?

EDIT: more info, forgive me if there's a simple solution and I can't see it. So with crowbar let's say my email is [email protected] and I go forgot password it shows me the email c******@t******.*** (it's secretly not, but shhh) but with my other account it doesn't show the email linked with it, it just shows p*******@p*******.*** and this is the same with a friend of mine.

Edited by crowbar2323

The only way to change it is to contact Steam support. From what I've heard before you may or may not get a response from them, but it's worth a try.

And don't forget: PS3 <-> PS3 is NOT required. You can unlock the professor portal or hug trophy (or any other co-op trophy) when you are playing on PS3 and your partner is on PC.

• 1 month later...

Thnks Elyther for the correction! Couldn't have explained it better.

Thanks for making the post AVincentela!

The only way to change it is to contact Steam support. From what I've heard before you may or may not get a response from them, but it's worth a try.

And don't forget: PS3 <-> PS3 is NOT required. You can unlock the professor portal or hug trophy (or any other co-op trophy) when you are playing on PS3 and your partner is on PC.

@CypherNova139 @Elyther @AVicentela

Sorry for reviving this thread again. I wanted to find out regarding helping other people with Professor Portal.

Now since I've already linked my current PSN account to my main Steam account. That means that I can't use my existing main Steam account to any other alternate PSN accounts I have.

And I believe that one cannot unlink the PSN account from the Steam account without contacting Steam Support.

So if I want to use my alternate PSN accounts to help others with Professor Portal, then I need to create new Steam accounts to link those to?

And it's it possible to share my main Steam account library with the two "dummy" Steam accounts that I want to link to my alternate PSN accounts? And the PS3 co-op should work?

If you want to help others you need a new alternate steam account for each time you help - as the Professor Portal trophy requires a brand new player.

However you can family share the PC version of the game from your main all you want as long as you main is offline at the time you are using the alt.

As long as your account in use has the PC version available to it then you are set for PS3 co-op (assuming your partner has the pc version too).

• Like 1

Thanks CypherNova :)

Someone mentioned that the family share option might have changed on Steam. Some new policy where you need to have spent at least $5 on Steam before you can activate family sharing or something.

But will give it a try.

Edited by DysectorZA

The new policy just prevents new accounts from using certain social functions, etc until $5 dollars has been spent, to combat trolls I think.

This means your alt will NOT be able to send FRs or family sharing, BUT you can receive/accept them.

For sharing your alt is the acc that needs the game. Sharing works from the acc that HAS the game library in question, eg main shares to alt.

So sharing the game to a brand new alt still works to help others get the trophies.

Edit: Give it a try, see if they changed how it works on me lol.

Edited by CypherNova139

Yeah, I read about that new Steam policy. So basically, I'm gonna have to find someone who has never played Portal 2 before and is able to play co-op as outlined by this thread.

Or find someone who is willing to go through all the trouble with creating alternate accounts and spending $5 on something on Steam.

DAMN!!! Professor Portal is the last trophy I need for my Plat.  :huh:

Yeah, thats what you need to find.

Note to devs of any game: A trophy requiring a brand new player is always asking for trouble and will cause many new accounts to be created and abandoned after the main gets its trophy.

*The alt does not have to spend $5 to play online, just their main shares the game with alt and you have to send the alt a friend request, in order to send the game invite. Unless they changed it since last I checked...

If I create a new email address I'm willing to help you get the trophy.

Note to devs of any game: A trophy requiring a brand new player is always asking for trouble and will cause many new accounts to be created and abandoned after the main gets its trophy.

*The alt does not have to spend $5 to play online, just their main shares the game with alt and you have to send the alt a friend request, in order to send the game invite. Unless they changed it since last I checked...

The online code is only $5? I looked at the Steam store and could only find the full game for $20. I have Portal 2 but i bought it used before i knew about these two trophies. Haven't tried to see if the code has been used yet though.

Also, do you know if two people who haven't touched the game go to do these trophies together, will both get the trophies at the same time as one another?

The online code is only $5? I looked at the Steam store and could only find the full game for $20. I have Portal 2 but i bought it used before i knew about these two trophies. Haven't tried to see if the code has been used yet though.

Also, do you know if two people who haven't touched the game go to do these trophies together, will both get the trophies at the same time as one another?

You have totally misread this thread. Please re-read the OP and subsequent posts on the first page ONLY to get an idea of how to play Portal 2 online on PS3, that's all you need to know. The rest of this thread has kinda turned into other random questions.

To answer your post:

1- The $5 is relating to a Steam POLICY regarding not being able to use certain social functions (sending friend requests, etc), NOT the PC game price on Steam. Portal 2 is still $20 on Steam, unless Steam includes it in a sale (which it was on sale in this last June's summer sale).

The online code to redeem the PC version of the game is free with every retail PS3 game purchase, however it is a one-time use code so buying the PS3 version used may net you with an unusable code.

2. The trophy requirements for Professor Portal require that you play the calibration course with a new player AFTER YOU the trophy-earner have completed EVERY co-op course. So if 2 new players play: 1) Neither player will get the Professor Portal trophy. 2) Both players just wasted their chance to help someone get Professor Portal, as now they have played co-op before on their accounts.

Hey Cypher, I would really appreciate it if you would be willing to help me get Professor Portal. :wub:  I've created a gaming session already, but no one has joined yet. I could always continue waiting for someone.

Still looking for someone to help out with the Professor Portal trophy. I've now resorted to contacting people who have recently played Portal 2 in the Recent Players list and asking if they could help. Of the few that have responded, it seems they to not have Portal 2 loaded on their Steam account, as they bought Portal 2 digitally, so the co-op doesn't work.  :(

Will keep searching...gotta Plat this game man.  :devil:

Edited by DysectorZA

Another inquiry. If my buddy has Portal 2 on ps3, new, links his psn to his steam account on with the game, would he be able to use the family share option with me, enabling me to get the two trophies on ps3?

I am not sure, but I don't think it would work. From what I've read, both the main Steam account and the Family Shared account cannot be logged into Steam at the same time? I could be wrong though.

Edited by DysectorZA

From everything i have read you cant use the same game on family share and it considers the steam and ps3 the same asuming you used the key.However if you can find someone who has finished it pending portal prof you can use family share on yours to a new account then have them do the same

oh my goodness when did this thread get so big? Holy crap!

Another inquiry. If my buddy has Portal 2 on ps3, new, links his psn to his steam account on with the game, would he be able to use the family share option with me, enabling me to get the two trophies on ps3?

I am not sure, but I don't think it would work. From what I've read, both the main Steam account and the Family Shared account cannot be logged into Steam at the same time? I could be wrong though.

If the friend has a valid Steam version of Portal 2 (ie: uses the code that comes with the PS3 version) and family shares the game, Prarpin would be able to play online with others. This includes the sharing friend. 

Unless they've recently changed the rules , you can still play WITH the person who shared the game with you but only for a short amount of time. Essentially if someone shares a Steam game with you, and they log on at the same time that you're playing the game, you have five minutes before Steam boots you. This is convenient because it means that you do have enough time to go through with Prof Portal and possibly a hug. And if you don't manage to get through the level in time, you can always retry immediately after. The sharing account just need to log out and let the other person start playing again before they logged back in.

• Like 1

Honestly I think 5 minutes might be tricky to do the course, especially if you/partner aren't familiar with the course, but people have done it before. Remember there is about a 45-60 second cutscene, then wave, select favorite animal/periodic table element that takes another minute before you get to actual gameplay.

@prarpin

If your buddy has a new copy of Portal 2 for the ps3, if its the retail version there is a code to redeem the pc version. Rather than sharing your copy have him redeem the code on his main account, sharing to alt if needed.

Honestly I think 5 minutes might be tricky to do the course, especially if you/partner aren't familiar with the course, but people have done it before. Remember there is about a 45-60 second cutscene, then wave, select favorite animal/periodic table element that takes another minute before you get to actual gameplay.

@prarpin

If your buddy has a new copy of Portal 2 for the ps3, if its the retail version there is a code to redeem the pc version. Rather than sharing your copy have him redeem the code on his main account, sharing to alt if needed.

Oh yeah, for sure, it is very tricky and I'd recommend this way of handling it if you had a choice to save yourself the headache. But it can be done if that's the way you want to make your life frustrating. I tested it once with a laptop and controller by myself and managed to get most of the way through the course before I got booted, but then I was mostly just testing to see how it could be done. 

@prarpin

Not share my copy. For him to family share his copy to my steam account so i can link up with somebody else and earn the two trophies. My copy is retail but was pre-owned and had it's Steam code used.

I'm just trying to find a way around buying the game twice. Figured this would be a good way to go about it.

Elyther already stated it would work though. I'm going to give it a shot. Portal 2 is on my friend's backlog so hopefully he'll bust it out for me.

Edited by prarpin