READ! IMPORTANT! Professor Portal and Hugs

AVicentela

• 4 months later...

hey guys

what am i doing wrong

me and my friend have our steam account linked to our psn account and we can start co op together but we cant get in a game our connection gets booted were doing ps 3- ps 3 

can anyone help me out ? we would love to get those 2 trophies

ty in advance

Kristof

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys

what am i doing wrong

me and my friend have our steam account linked to our psn account and we can start co op together but we cant get in a game our connection gets booted were doing ps 3- ps 3 

can anyone help me out ? we would love to get those 2 trophies

ty in advance

Kristof

its the servers most of the time they suck but just keep trying :)

Edited by PiraMark94

• 5 weeks later...

AVicentela (and Elyther) Thank you very much for posting this and with the "Very important" header. Was going to pick up this game for my grandson so we could play together, as enjoyed the game, and so did he when he came to visit. Of course also thought could get all the co-op trophies as well.

But these kind of trophies, and making it this awkward to connect online, are ridiculous and a cheap way to force people to make more purchases. Have no interest in creating a steam acct nor having to re-purchase the game there. (Twice!) So glad I read this thread before buying him a copy and wasting my money and time. Well at least we can still do couch co-op when he comes to visit.  

Edit: Sorry bout the bold print, first post and have no idea how to fix.

Edited by Karmikazee
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

hey, for professor portal i had read that needs delete savegame, do calibration and then use your backup, and then contrarily do again for other player?

when will go out portal 1 on disc? i want it for my ps3, not orange box, and i want the trophies (why it's impossibile copy an mexages here?)

:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey guys, was looking for some assistance in explaining just what the hell to do here.

I currently have a digital copy of Portal 2 that I got in a flash sale many moons ago but am having issues with playing with people on steam and on PS3.

Can I please have some help thrown my way in understanding what needs to be done to fix this? The earlier posts confused me a bit. Please and thank you.

Edited by Algazero

Hey guys, was looking for some assistance in explaining just what the hell to do here.

I currently have a digital copy of Portal 2 that I got in a flash sale many moons ago but am having issues with playing with people on steam and on PS3.

Can I please have some help thrown my way in understanding what needs to be done to fix this? The earlier posts confused me a bit. Please and thank you.

Read through this entire thread. All the information is there.

If you got a digital copy of this game, then you will need to also buy another copy for your Steam account.

Basically you need to have a Steam account and link it to your PS3 account to be able to play online with other users.

Otherwise you are stuck and have to two controllers and split screen to play co-op.

If you want to Platinum the game, you won't be able to, unless you also have a copy on Steam as well.

The co-op is quite a nightmare to get working over internet.

I read through this topic (and a similar one here) hence my confusion. I've been trying to get ahold of steam support with no success in order to link my steam and PSN account. What would be your best advice for getting their attention and fixing this?

I recently made a new steam account (not one created by portal 2 but by actually registering on the site) so I got that step done, what's next?

Edited by Algazero

I read through this topic (and a similar one here) hence my confusion. I've been trying to get ahold of steam support with no success in order to link my steam and PSN account. What would be your best advice for getting their attention and fixing this?

I recently made a new steam account (not one created by portal 2 but by actually registering on the site) so I got that step done, what's next?

Do you have a PC?

Do you have Steam loaded on your PC?

Have you bought Portal 2 on Steam and it shows in your Steam game library?

On your PS3 did you link the Steam account you created with Portal 2 in part of your game library?

Not sure if there is anything else.

Do you have a PC?

Do you have Steam loaded on your PC?

Have you bought Portal 2 on Steam and it shows in your Steam game library?

On your PS3 did you link the Steam account you created with Portal 2 in part of your game library?

Not sure if there is anything else.

Yes.

Yes.

Not yet.

That's the question of the day. How the heck do I do that? I already "created an account" via the PS3. The question is how to link it properly. I can't seem to find a way to do it. Entering the username and e-mail with proper password on the steam site didn't help. And steam seems to ignore my questions regarding the issue. You can see why I'm asking for assistance.

Yes.

Yes.

Not yet.

That's the question of the day. How the heck do I do that? I already "created an account" via the PS3. The question is how to link it properly. I can't seem to find a way to do it. Entering the username and e-mail with proper password on the steam site didn't help. And steam seems to ignore my questions regarding the issue. You can see why I'm asking for assistance.

I think you are supposed to link it on your PS3. In the menu, hitting the Select button and there should be an option there to link Steam account.

You do not do anything on your PC on Steam, everything is done on the PS3 if I remember correctly.

I think you are supposed to link it on your PS3. In the menu, hitting the Select button and there should be an option there to link Steam account.

You do not do anything on your PC on Steam, everything is done on the PS3 if I remember correctly.

I hit select and it it goes to the steam overlay. it shows my friends, announcements, and news. there is nothing else there that would indicate me linking or doing anything else.

Your Steam account is automatically linked when you sign in to Steam on the PS3 version of Portal 2 - press select at main menu to sign in. No contacting support needed.

Read post #2 in this thread, or TL;DR: You need to buy the PC version of Portal 2 on your Steam account.

Edit: Use the Steam client on your computer or store.steampowered.com to buy the PC version, you can't buy it from the PS3.

Edited by CypherNova139

I think it's clicking in my head now.

Use the 2nd account and family share with the first one right? However, when doing that, how do I have the main steam account (one that I created on PS3 and can't login via the steam website or program) accept the family share? Or does that option show up on the PS3?

i have portal on my main steam linked to my main ps3. I have shared from my main steam to my alternate steam via family sharing. I have a 2nd ps3 account conneted to my alternate steam. 

I have successfully connected to a guy who refused to help me back for professor portal and the hugs, as i decided to help him first using the alternate. Now since then i cant connect to anybody. It always shows the waiting for partner screen and then it goes back to the menu saying partner has disconnected. 

With those people i couldnt recieve steam invites for playing the game but they could recieve my steam invites. I feel as if the problem is on the other side but am now beginning to doubt that. I hope someone can help me solve this problem or if theres anything else I havent thought of doing that could be done to improve our chances of connecting.

ok im done with this now and to be honest the way my problem got solved was  messed up and its hard to explain how it worked. Basically my friend went on his alternate steam account and connected to me through his pc while i was on my ps3 (earlier we were trying ps3 to ps3 connection). i was able to get the professor portal and the hugs thankfully. He already had those trophies but for some reason he couldnt connect back to me when i went on my pc to connect to him and he went back to his ps3 (roles reversed). My friend had lots of problems connecting and syncing with steam from his ps3 as none of his trophies that he had got (long before our session) were on there. Also when i played with his main (where he had his trophies) it sent us through the calibration course with the opening video as he had never played the game before.

In any case these online trophies seem to be riddled with connection issues,and other annoying steam problems like adding friends and my friend not being able to recieve the add or the game invite. There were a lot of issues with basic online gaming from my experience with steam. I hope there arent any other games that have steam integration on the ps3/4.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a complicated issue:

I used to have an old PSN profile account (derekrw) that I initially played with my new copy of Portal 2. I then connected it to steam and made a dummy account to which I connected myself to the game via family sharing. For reference I named the the main steam account derekrderek and the dummy was ecseifert. I then added derekrderek and ecseifert as friends and was able to get the professor portal trophy.

However, now I have a new PSN account (derekrderek) and am using the same copy of Portal 2. I have already synced my new PSN profile to my current copy of Portal 2. But when I do so, it is defaulting to my steam account name of derekrderek. I am not sure if the name is defaulting to derekrderk because my PSN account name is derekrderek or because my intial steam account is derekrderek. 

Regardless, I can actually see that there are two derekrderek accounts on steam and am able to friend myself between the two accounts. 

The problem now is I am trying to login to the new derekrderek steam account but am unable to. Do you use your PSN password to log in? I tried that and it didn't work. 

Any ideas on what is going on here? Do I need to get a new copy of the game because it seems like my primary account is linked to my old PSN profile. If I get a new game will I be able to establish my current PSN profile as the main account in steam? I am just worried I might have screwed something up since I already synced my current PSN profile to my existing steam account--or so I think.

• 3 months later...

I've been using an extremely easy method to get this "Professor Portal" trophy with another user of PSNProfile. Let me explain:

1) We both have a Portal 2 physical copy, with our PSN account linked to our main Steam account by using the unique code shipped with the game (the one code that gives you a free access to Portal 2 on steam).

2) We both created an alternate steam account that we linked to our main steam account using the "Family Share" option and shared Portal 2 between accounts.

3) I added his Alternate Steam account as a friend on my Main Steam Account.

4) I played the game on my PS3 and invited his Alternate Steam Account to join my party (He played on PC).

5) We played through the Calibration Course and BOOOM the trophy popped for me!

6) He played on his Main PSN Account, I joined with my Alternate Steam Account playing on PC and we did it again: BOOOOM it popped for him as well :D

--> Here is the original post that we used to get our "Professor Portal" trophies: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=333952268

I hope this helps ! 

Edited by Tyxoune

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...