Oh my... What a dilemma I've found myself to be in...

So let me start by saying I absolutely love souls!!! Demon's, Dark, Dark 2 and now of course the latest installment in the series Bloodborne. Which brings me to the topic in question...

I am ashamed to say that after investing roughly 120 hours thus far in Bloodborne, I can't seem to enjoy Dark Souls 2 as I once did after playing Bloodborne. Mind you, collectively between Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2 and between the 360 and PS3, I easily have 1000+ hours logged. I played an obscene amount!!! So being a huge fan, I of course bought Scholar of the First Sin for PS4. I immediately noticed the dramatic difference in mechanics between Souls 2 and Bloodborne. For me, and this may not be the case for all, or anyone... I like the Bloodborne mechanics better. The combat and move-set of the character feel faster and more natural to me than Dark Souls 2. Switching back, and briefly playing the PS4 version, I found myself struggling with the mechanics as they felt completely unnatural to me in comparison.

In any case, I love the games very much, just wanted to see if anyone else had either noticed what I'm talking about, felt the same way, preferred DS2 mechanics over Bloodborne etc... And please, keep in mind, I am very well ware they are 2 different games etc... so let's not have that conversation...

Looking forward to reading your feedback!

That would be a damn shame! :( 

I really loved playing all the souls titles and of course dark souls II as well. I've just finished Bloodborne and I was thrilled by its atmosphere and intensity. Actually I was looking forward to returning to Drangleic again and experiencing the new adaptations they made.

But nevertheless I am going to buy it anyway, I have to play it, period. :D

The one thing DaS2 lacked compared to the other titles is the crisp gameplay: by that I strictly mean the speed with which weapons hit, where you aim it when you don't lock on, and the slightly exploitable telegraphing attacks that all enemies have. The animations and awkward enemy behaviour has threw me off countless times the first tme I played through DaS2, and the incidence of large groups of enemies in the second half of the game made made it much more annoying, to the point where I realized that it was not a coincidence that poison arrows do so much damage. I also experienced that pvp is mainly about tricking people with ridiculous weapons... But I thoroughly enjoyed that :P...To me this game will always be 'arcade souls'.

i basically had the same problem, after playing bloodborne. because in the souls games before, i always either played a pure strength tank, or a pure caster from a safe distance.

when i started SotFS after BB, i started off as a strength build again and it felt off, so i started from the beginning and did a dex/quality kind of build.

i put just enough levels in str/dex to wield a quick weapon (i used the rapier 90% of the game, until i got the stronger version 'Espada Ropera' from Chancellor Wellager in Endgame).

once upgraded, those weapons are very strong with their high counter damage, especially (or unfortunately 'only') agains single enemies, like bosses or if you lure regular enemies out (because it only has those 'stabbing' attacks, which barely every hit more than one enemy).

for defense i mainly raised my agility to 100+, so i could dodge everything. i never used a shield ONCE in my whole three playthroughs of SotFS!

At first it felt a bit off for a souls game, but i quickly mastered that new playstyle; guess bloodborne was a great help in that department.

and in the end i got the plat and had a LOT of fun with this new playstyle. it almost felt like a whole new game, which was a plus! :)

I totally felt the same! Scholar is fine, it is just the fact that I already played this game to death. The new enemy placements, etc, it is cool, but after fast-paced action Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2 felt so ... clumsy.

After playing it a bit more it started to shape again and now I got used again to the heavier physics, the no regain health mechanics and the shield (man, the shield...), so I am having a good time.

But yeah, it took some time, and some faith.

So to everyone's point... Yup I'm hooked again. It just takes a bit to get back into the mechanics and it feels like home again!

For the sake of not starting another thread... For those of you playing the PS4 version, am I crazy or with the changes they made did they completely nerf weapon durability??? I can't seem to get from a bonfire to midway through a level let alone a boss without my weapon breaking lol... Anybody else notice this? It just seems really odd...

I only completed Demon's Souls and will someday play the rest, except for Bloodborne cause it is on Ps4, so I might not be the most insightful person on the matter, but for me it is like saying you don't like Mass Effect's mechanics because of Dragon Age: Inquisition. What I mean is that they are not related, they share some themes in common and maybe the art direction, but Bloodborne is focused on ofense and dodging, while Dark Souls is focused on being careful and knowing when to strike. Just look at the character models, Dark Souls guys are obviously juicing and carry large pieces of armor and huge blades. Bloodborne hunters are slim in comparison and wear light clothes, also they carry no shields... So you can't ask for cat like movements on knights, it wouldn't make sense

So to everyone's point... Yup I'm hooked again. It just takes a bit to get back into the mechanics and it feels like home again!

For the sake of not starting another thread... For those of you playing the PS4 version, am I crazy or with the changes they made did they completely nerf weapon durability??? I can't seem to get from a bonfire to midway through a level let alone a boss without my weapon breaking lol... Anybody else notice this? It just seems really odd...

It seems to be a bug related to the 60 fps , and it seems they are gonna patch it. It didn't bother me that much actually, it forced me to try new weapons :D

• Like 1

I can only second what happened to you, i was thrown completely off balance when i decided to play a round of Dark Souls after Bloodborne. Got used to it after about an hour or so. 

On the other hand bosses in Dark Souls now feel much easier than they used to.

I only completed Demon's Souls and will someday play the rest, except for Bloodborne cause it is on Ps4, so I might not be the most insightful person on the matter, but for me it is like saying you don't like Mass Effect's mechanics because of Dragon Age: Inquisition. What I mean is that they are not related, they share some themes in common and maybe the art direction, but Bloodborne is focused on ofense and dodging, while Dark Souls is focused on being careful and knowing when to strike.

The problem is that while both share similar mechanics, they play very differently. If you get used to Bloodbornes combat, with quick dodges and regaining health when attacking quickly after getting hit, you will just get killed again and again when going to back Souls' fat rolls. Even without any gear equipped it feels like you can only do fat rolls at first. xD

It's like going from a truck to a sports car, and then back to the truck.

• Like 1

It's worth remembering that Bloodborne isn't a 'Souls' game as much as it may well be another spiritual successor, it's supposed to be a different experience, a different style etc...   Another issue is that Bloodborne is a PS4 game, a proper one, whereas DS2 is a port with tweaks...point being that a new, PS4 only, Souls entry will likely run much smoother, and possibly quicker than the previous PS3 titles.  

There's nothing wrong with preferring one combat mechanic over the other, but to compare them at this point is perhaps a little unfair.   If there's to be a proper PS4 optimised 'sword & shield' Souls game, and hopefully there will be, then that's what I'd want to compare to the 'sword & dodge' Bloodborne mechanic.

I enjoyed the speed and fluidity of Bloodborne...a lot, but it sorely lacked the depth of combat options in a Souls game.

That drove me mad initially. I first found it to be a problem while making my way through No Man's Wharf because I could barely get halfway through before getting the warning about my sword being close to breaking. It seems to be less of a problem now that I'm finding more shortcuts and bonfires though.

• Like 1

That drove me mad initially. I first found it to be a problem while making my way through No Man's Wharf because I could barely get halfway through before getting the warning about my sword being close to breaking. It seems to be less of a problem now that I'm finding more shortcuts and bonfires though.

hahahah I was the exact same, I noticed It very early on and I thought It might've just been my time away from the game, but oh god, there was no mistaking my weapons were made of paper until I equipped the bracing knuckles ring and all was right with the world again

The problem is that while both share similar mechanics, they play very differently. If you get used to Bloodbornes combat, with quick dodges and regaining health when attacking quickly after getting hit, you will just get killed again and again when going to back Souls' fat rolls. Even without any gear equipped it feels like you can only do fat rolls at first. xD

It's like going from a truck to a sports car, and then back to the truck.

As I said, I never played Bloodborne, so it must be true because everyone complains about it LOL. Anyway, I still feel Dark souls is a different kind of game, and in the same way you wouldn't drive a monster truck to a sports car race, you wouldn't bring a sports car to a demolition derby...

I enjoyed DS2 sotfs more then Bloodborne on the PS4, probably because the PS4 release on DS2 is such a huge improvement over the PS3 release. Bloodborne was a bit too arcadey? Not sure what term to use, I really enjoyed it though. Demons and both Darks produced despair, you where at a dead end so much more often then BB. Either way, From have produced some quality products this year and that counts for allot. 

• Like 1